Puzzling notice in (some) toilets

giibaht

Occasionally, I will come across this notice "Do not throw toilet paper into toilet bowl" or words to that effect, in some of the toilets here in Thailand.

I've always ignored such notices and flushed the toilet paper after I'm done with my nature's call giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZuL417oA

But I was at a recently completed condo here in CM, and there in the elevator, was this notice again. Presumably, this is to remind newly moved-in residents of this delicate matter. The condo staff showing me around firmly told me it will cause blockage, and helpfully told me they should be thrown into a waste basket. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this suggestion. crying.gif.pagespeed.ce.kh9vLpJQkUs49400

What's a flush toilet for if it can't handle toilet paper?

Am I missing something here?

So far, I've only come across such notices in public toilets eg shops, restaurants etc. Subconsciously I thought perhaps they are "old" buildings with antiquated pipings. Or perhaps customers were using toilet papers to dry their hands, in lieu of paper towels, and such quantities of toilet paper will cause blockage. But a regular job should be fine. I can't imagine a new building will have such problems.

But then again, there seems to be something wrong with the way the Thai buildings are constructed. There seems to be a perpetual sewage stench in most places, even newly completed places like Maya and Central Festival. Perhaps someone with knowledge of building construction can weigh in?

If you are still using toilet paper you are doing it wrong. It is so much more hygienic to use the spray, then just dry with the paper. My main issue with visiting home in UK is that I will have to use toilet paper, it literally disgusts me after years being used to the spray-away method.

Obviously the signs are because they have thinner pipes here because Asians don't clean up the disgusting western way.

Interesting. Personally I'm not into bidets. I've not been to any other Asian country where the use of toilet paper in a flush toilet will cause blockage. And btw, the Chinese invented toilet paper smile.png

The part i don't understand about this is that this is really stupid to request people to throw used, shitty toilet paper in a bin, so that slowly but surely the whole building can smell like excrement because my experience is that they don't pay much attention to emptying the bin.

The part i don't understand about this is that this is really stupid to request people to throw used, shitty toilet paper in a bin, so that slowly but surely the whole building can smell like excrement because my experience is that they don't pay much attention to emptying the bin.

I can't tell you why ... but it doesn't smell.

It's my job to empty the Loo Paper bin at the Farm ... gets done every 3 or 4 days.

We have usually between 7 - 10 people using the same Loo.

You're doing it wrong. The paper you throw in the bin shouldn't be shitty.

one often finds 1 inch waste lines

Absurd, the waste lines are 4 inch, even the waste lines from sinks and showers are larger than 1 inch.

Without sewers, waste goes into septic tanks which do not digest paper easily. So instead of pumping out the septic tanks often, do not put paper in the toilet.

Use the sprayer to clean then the paper is only to dry and is wet not smelly.

What is difficult about that?

• Like 2

We ignored a landlord's advice about this when we moved into a condo (not our current one) and after the first weekend, we had a major problem. Ever try to buy a toilet plunger on a Sunday evening in Chiang Mai? It's not something they sell at the 7-11.

I can't tell you why ... but it doesn't smell.

It's my job to empty the Loo Paper bin at the Farm ... gets done every 3 or 4 days.

We have usually between 7 - 10 people using the same Loo.

i was told it has a nice smell, something like a mixture of Channel Nº5 and Hugo Boss aftershave. if it doesn't smell you are doing something wrong, e.g. blowing your nose and leave the remnants on the derrière drying up undisturbed.

it's only natural. that's what my dogs claim which neither use paper, nor a bidet nor a bum gun.

It disgusts me that Big C don't provide a means to wash properly after deficating. By my reckoning, there is always someone with fecal matter smeared across their backside walking around there.

Wash, then the tissue is for drying. Wet tissue in a bin is fine, tissue+faeces in a bin is just wrong.

You're doing it wrong. The paper you throw in the bin shouldn't be shitty.

Soi Biker is right. Use a bum squirter first to clean yourself and dry with toilet tissue. Place toilet tissue in bin, it's not rocket science.

Boy, when I think back to the days of shiny toilet paper in the UK sick.gif

I'm with the bum squirter crowd... Embrace it with the flip flops and cargo pants commando style...

Loosen up... practice your aim... and with a little inner self exploration you will never go back to smearing yourself with paper!

That being said I have yet to conceptualize or master the ladle technic found in some squat toilets?.... facepalm.gif

Edited by sfokevin

That being said I have yet to conceptualize or master the ladle technic found in some squat toilets?.... facepalm.gif

Make sure you have access to soap to wash hands after, then scoop up the water with hands and get right in there.

I'm sure there's another way, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Loosen up... practice your aim... and with a little inner self exploration you will never go back to smearing yourself with paper!

Indeed, talk about teaching old (farang) dogs & bitches new tricks.

That said, I'm always careful about coming into contact with fecal matter (own or others) in the toilet. I imagine one has to gingerly wrap the gun with toilet paper before squirting away. What if the handle is wet to begin with. bah.gif

This old dog needs more time to "kit duu gorn"... wai2.gif