HDTV in Thailand?

Nayet

Just bought a nice new TV, but it's being fed a signal that makes the picture look like crap. Even the sound is pretty bad.

I've seen these digital boxes for sale at Seven Eleven, but not sure if they put out a higher resolution signal. Also, which, if any, channels are available in HD? I would appreciate some information on this.

What are you using now?

While 'some' people in Thailand only have the option of using a direct ANALOG cable feed or a set-top-box with a yellow composite video cable, if you WANT to see a great image on that HDTV set of yours then you'll need...

equipment with an HDMI connector, like a:

Blu-ray / HD DVD Player

high-end Game Box, like XBOX, PlayStation, Wii, etc.

Computer to play games, DVDs, Blu-ray or Downloaded shows

HDMI stick (think: chromecast, roku, android, etc)

Android Box

iptv set-top-box

DVB-T2 (also known as a Terrestrial over-the-air set-top-box -- if your TV doesn't have a T2 tuner already)

DVB-S2 (also known as a Satellite set-top-box)

DVB-C2 (also known as a Digital Cable Box)

** NOTE: Not all video is delivered in 720/1080 HD resolution as most material out there is still SD, but even the SD lower-res stuff look pretty good when using the special HDMI cable connections)

Thanks, Rich. I don't know what I have now, but judging by the picture quality, it's an analog signal. I don't know what the best option would be for me, but I'll probably look at one of the DVB boxes.

My first question would be: what do you expect to see?

What was the situation before you bought the HD TV?

Even you already have DVB-T2 then there are 8 HD channels.

All in Thai as far as I remember.

("already": which region do you live?).

But generally all digital signals (not only HD, whether DVB-T or satellite) are not "crap" with bad sound.

Fairly good technical quality.

Sounds like you connect to some analog cable in an appartement or condo from one of the local amateurish cable providers?

Even worse: the house still has analog antennas. Hard to believe.

Yes, likely crap. Waste of money to connect an HD TV.

HD for foreigners is either via satellite and costly (True) or via highspeed internet (cheaper).

True HD might be available via cable in certain regions, no idea.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Truevisions is still the best quality HD broadcasting - at 1080i it has noticeably better picture quality than any of the "HD" IP streamers. It's not cheap though...

If you want the best PQ possible, you'll want Bluray though - it's the best of the best - also not so cheap ;)

I use iptv over the 13 mbs with 3BB internet ... excellent quality and many channels in HD from UK, Germany, France, Spain, US, plus HBO History etc... tons of sports, Movies, and radio music has just been added.... and very reasonable price, any bit as good as True... actually better as more channels for much less money!thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I would not expect something from 7-11 to provide much qualityfacepalm.gifwhistling.gif

I will try to find the link to it and post....

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

I use iptv over the 13 mbs with 3BB internet ... excellent quality and many channels in HD from UK, Germany, France, Spain, US, plus HBO History etc... tons of sports, Movies, and radio music has just been added.... and very reasonable price, any bit as good as True... actually better as more channels for much less money!thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I would not expect something from 7-11 to provide much qualityfacepalm.gifwhistling.gif

Except for picture quality :)

The OP is probably plugged into 'basic cable' these are the old cheap cable compnaies still operating in thialand like 'happy home' cable tv, this is all emulated from the old analog signal and no hdtv.

You can get truevisions or some other satelite tv box, if your not in a condo building like me that has a shared dish, you will also need to get a satelite dish and mount it outside your home. I still cant understand why on true visions the local hdchannels like chanel 7&3 are in ultra low definition(worse than before hdtv) even though they are now broadcasting in hdtv.. Satelite will be 1000b a month for the cheaper package and more than 1600m for the extended package that includes all the sport..

Otherwise plugin your laptop and watch hdtv on youtube,etc. i have a ps3 and i never play games anymore, but what it does have is a very cool yotube app that allows you to easily tether any ipad,laptop,tablet,smartphone to the ps3, then when you select a vid on the youtube tablet, it plays on theTV, very cool way to use youtube..

If you bought a 'smarttv' it has that youtube app already built in

Edited by pkspeaker

Except for picture quality smile.png

Sorry but that is not so, picture quality is excellent...thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif that's why the three thumbs up!

I know several people with same service and we all agree it's good !tongue.png

You've posted a link to Iowa Public Television?

Oh Sorry! w00t.gif

I thought I took that link out before posting, I realized that when I tested it !

I have PM'd the vendor for the correct link.... will post when I get a reply!

Hold on! wink.png

Try ThaiExpatTV.

It's received via wi-fi, direct to your computer, costs ฿1700 per 3 months. You get good UK programmes, including 5 BBC, 4 ITV, movies etc. Mine works very well using a 10mB package from 3BB.

No gangester/gun toting type programs.

[email protected] to get a free 2-day trial.

You can also buy a set-top box which sends the wi-fi signal to your TV.

I have no commercial interests in this group. Just enjoy good programs and real world news.

Truevisions is still the best quality HD broadcasting - at 1080i it has noticeably better picture quality than any of the "HD" IP streamers. It's not cheap though...

If you want the best PQ possible, you'll want Bluray though - it's the best of the best - also not so cheap wink.png

At least take a look at GMM. Their price is a 1/3 of TrueVisions plus their content is as good or better than Truevisions. Also they break their packages down so you only need to take what you watch. All in all a better deal for many people with less problems.

Except for picture quality smile.png

Sorry but that is not so, picture quality is excellent...thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif that's why the three thumbs up!

I know several people with same service and we all agree it's good !tongue.png

I agree that the PQ of IPTV can be good - I have tried them all (got the T-Shirts), and still use MaigeTV daily. They are not as good PQ as Truevisions though. Period. Just as Truevisions is not as good PQ as Bluray. The difference between these 3 is very, very noticeable as your screen size increases.

Edited by IMHO

If you want the best PQ possible, you'll want Bluray though - it's the best of the best - also not so cheap wink.png

At least take a look at GMM. Their price is a 1/3 of TrueVisions plus their content is as good or better than Truevisions. Also they break their packages down so you only need to take what you watch. All in all a better deal for many people with less problems.

Been there, done that. We have 5 Truevisions STB's on a single account - once you have multiple boxes, the price per box becomes very competitive (< 600 Baht/month/box for their top package).

Edited by IMHO

Oh Sorry! w00t.gif

I thought I took that link out before posting, I realized that when I tested it !

I have PM'd the vendor for the correct link.... will post when I get a reply!

Hold on! wink.png

OK here is a link, the vendor has asked that you use this link!

http://www.expatuktv.asia/

I purchased under a different name... but apparently it's the same same!

But as said I find the picture and selection excellent ... a few hiccups occasionally, but improvements have been made since I first subscribed several months ago, now!

Watch the video.... since that was made, there have been several additions made .... it does not mention it also has a pile of Thai Channels, , to keep Dahling happy! whistling.gif....

Movies and mini series are also added frequently! Recently added are a number of radio stations, too!

I used True for a couple of years and would never use them again, I then used Astro out of Malaysia, but this gives a lot more for a lot less! thumbsup.gif

You have a two week many back offer period, to try...thumbsup.gif

My TV is 48* I don't see the lost in quality IMHO states, he found...wink.png

I had TRUE Sat. system in our home for the past 3 yrs. The price per month kept going up and up. I cancelled the monthly fee, bought the dish and yes, bought one of those units at 7/11. It works fantastic, I get about 40 channels in English, 20+ of them in HD also. The have various packages to choice from.

Now the best part, I work 28/28 so the month I'm home we pay 595 bhat at 7/11 for that month, end of the month it goes off, but all the local Thai crap that the wife and kids enjoy still works perfectly. One of the nicest features is the dual languge system,, if my wife really wants to see a program that is in English, a quick button and its dubbed in Thai...

I had TRUE Sat. system in our home for the past 3 yrs. The price per month kept going up and up. I cancelled the monthly fee, bought the dish and yes, bought one of those units at 7/11. It works fantastic, I get about 40 channels in English, 20+ of them in HD also. The have various packages to choice from.

Now the best part, I work 28/28 so the month I'm home we pay 595 bhat at 7/11 for that month, end of the month it goes off, but all the local Thai crap that the wife and kids enjoy still works perfectly. One of the nicest features is the dual languge system,, if my wife really wants to see a program that is in English, a quick button and its dubbed in Thai...

How much did you pay for the dish? And did you buy it at 7/11? Which box do you have?

My first question would be: what do you expect to see?

What was the situation before you bought the HD TV?

Even you already have DVB-T2 then there are 8 HD channels.

All in Thai as far as I remember.

("already": which region do you live?).

But generally all digital signals (not only HD, whether DVB-T or satellite) are not "crap" with bad sound.

Fairly good technical quality.

Sounds like you connect to some analog cable in an appartement or condo from one of the local amateurish cable providers?

Even worse: the house still has analog antennas. Hard to believe.

Yes, likely crap. Waste of money to connect an HD TV.

HD for foreigners is either via satellite and costly (True) or via highspeed internet (cheaper).

True HD might be available via cable in certain regions, no idea.

Thanks, I don't need much, maybe a couple news channels (in Thai and English), Discovery or Animal Planet, and of course HBO would be awesome. Not everything has to be in HD, but having a few channels in HD would be nice. I will probably invest in a Blu-ray player sooner or later so I can at least watch movies in HD.

I have Thaiexpattv, bought through UKTV. I paid 2999B for the year. I won't be renewing as shortly after I bought my subscription, UKTV were sold to thaiexpatTV and the annual price increased to 6000B. I'll be paying for a good VPN instead.

Other services of interest, ilikehdtv at about 400B/month, though I experienced regular drop outs on connection with them, and the app "intersport" available on Android (I have an Android TV box connected to my TV) at 1000B for 200 days. Both of these have a variety channels including more sport options than any of the regular satellite or cable providers.

I have Thaiexpattv, bought through UKTV. I paid 2999B for the year. I won't be renewing as shortly after I bought my subscription, UKTV were sold to thaiexpatTV and the annual price increased to 6000B. I'll be paying for a good VPN instead.

Other services of interest, ilikehdtv at about 400B/month, though I experienced regular drop outs on connection with them, and the app "intersport" available on Android (I have an Android TV box connected to my TV) at 1000B for 200 days. Both of these have a variety channels including more sport options than any of the regular satellite or cable providers.

I just don't understand why people pay for VPN services, when Hola is there for free and connects with out any problems... on Firefox, (or Chrome) I some times use it for BBC or ITV for catch up, if I miss something.... thumbsup.gif

When I was experiementing last summer, with VPN free trials, I ended up getting a lot of junk and spam emails bah.gif None of them work any better than Hola! facepalm.gif

Plus it means having to use the mouse to navigate and switch programs... too tedious! ... but OK once in a while!

Having said that, perhaps we on Samui are lucky 3BB works so well thumbsup.gif

How much did you pay for the dish? And did you buy it at 7/11? Which box do you have?

I too would be interested in which box you bought from 7/11 that gives you 40 channels in English and 20+ channels in HD ? You say that you are feeding it from a dish, as far as I can see, the 7/11 boxes are for terrestrial digital TV (DVB), but, of course, I may be wrong.

Myself and several of my friends are using boxes from the same company that SamuiJimmy recommends. Their service is great, highly recommended.

"IPTV Thailand" http://www.iptv-thailand.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=100 offer a box and 12 months subscription to their Super Engish IPTV package for 12,500 Baht, with 12 month renewal at 8,000 Baht.

This looks a good package...however, I am concerned about the stability of IPTV.

At the moment I am testing "ILikeHD" for a month. Although it is stable most of the time, there are occasions when it buffers or the picture pixilates. I also have to shut everything else down on my laptop or I don't have enough processing power available. However, I think that may be a problem with my laptop and not with my internet connection.

My 10Mbps 3BB connection is stable most of the time, however I am reluctant to pay out substantial money for a system that will not have a seamless picture.

What experience does anyone have of IPTV, please?

Myself and several of my friends are using boxes from the same company that SamuiJimmy recommends. Their service is great, highly recommended.

"IPTV Thailand" http://www.iptv-thailand.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=100 offer a box and 12 months subscription to their Super Engish IPTV package for 12,500 Baht, with 12 month renewal at 8,000 Baht.

This looks a good package...however, I am concerned about the stability of IPTV.

At the moment I am testing "ILikeHD" for a month. Although it is stable most of the time, there are occasions when it buffers or the picture pixilates. I also have to shut everything else down on my laptop or I don't have enough processing power available. However, I think that may be a problem with my laptop and not with my internet connection.

My 10Mbps 3BB connection is stable most of the time, however I am reluctant to pay out substantial money for a system that will not have a seamless picture.

What experience does anyone have of IPTV, please?

I have been using 3 BB connection @ 13mbs for a few months now, with IPTV (mentioned earlier^ ) Generally good, very occasionally hangs, but it's usually fixed quickly by reporting a problem... It's constantly being improved!

I believe that @ the 10 Mbs, that 3BB cuts you off after so much time ( a neighbor has that happen and they give a popup to pay again) That is not a problem on the 13mbs plan (about 300 baht more a month ... I often have computer and TV going at the same time, it does not seem to make a difference... wink.png