Thai price / Foreigner price

johncat1

I think in "most" of these places it's effectively a discounted Resident's Price and Non-Resident's Price. Pretty much the same as happens all over the planet.

ScreenShot2014-12-26at093937am_zps61a921

It doesn't happen in the UK in Zoos Art Galleries,shows and other Admission places,it's actually illegal to discriminate and charge Foreiners and visitors more than the locals! before someone asks: I don't know if some trades people perform the odd scam now and again! and charge more for an ice cream! or Hot dog! but judging by the prices charged,they would be in danger of losing a lucrative licence to a very good business,so I see no reason why anyone should be treated differently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22447799

Edited by MAJIC

I think in "most" of these places it's effectively a discounted Resident's Price and Non-Resident's Price. Pretty much the same as happens all over the planet.

ScreenShot2014-12-26at093937am_zps61a921

It doesn't happen in the UK in Zoos Art Galleries,shows and other Admission places,it's actually illegal to discriminate and charge Foreiners and visitors more than the locals! before someone asks: I don't know if some trades people perform the odd scam now and again! and charge more for an ice cream! or Hot dog! but judging by the prices charged,they would be in danger of losing a lucrative licence to a very good business,so I see no reason why anyone should be treated differently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22447799

most other countries though

Richer countries are likely to charge the same incredibly high price to everyone.

Malaysia charges higher prices to Chinise Malaysian citizens than Malay Malaysian citizens.

I have heard teachers salaries in Phuket are lower than Bangkok but cost more to live. The environment is the rest of the salary.

For now I survive on 65,000 a month. In America I would need at least 4 times that amount.

When I stop working and using my retirement money I plan to travel several times a year. Not limited to a small budget. Maybe half time in 1st world countries and half time in Thailand.

Richer countries are likely to charge the same incredibly high price to everyone.

Malaysia charges higher prices to Chinise Malaysian citizens than Malay Malaysian citizens.

I have heard teachers salaries in Phuket are lower than Bangkok but cost more to live. The environment is the rest of the salary.

For now I survive on 65,000 a month. In America I would need at least 4 times that amount.

When I stop working and using my retirement money I plan to travel several times a year. Not limited to a small budget. Maybe half time in 1st world countries and half time in Thailand.

If you have 65,000 Baht in salary working as a teacher then you have about double the salary compared to most of us teaching here in Thailand. But I can actually save more now living out in the province on a 30,000 Baht salary than when I was working in Bangkok with 50,000 a month thanks to that the food, accommodation and so on is much cheaper. In Bangkok I get a small beer for 65-150Baht back where I stay now I get a large beer for 65-70 Baht when going out with my friends.
  • Like 1

Generally if you eat or drink anything in a tourist attraction in America you will pay triple the normal price.

This is bad but accepted.

Amusement parks in Thailand the price of food is only increased a little.

Think of the cost of entrance to a zoo or museum or amusement park and add the inflated price of food and compare to Thailand.

True it is for everyone, but very bad

limited to people with good incomes.

You are right, but you missed the point this topic is about diff. Fees for Thai or Foreigner mainly in national parks.

You can not excuse this with much cheaper extra costs.

As I posted before I could agree up to the triple fee for foreign tourists, but not up to 10 times the Thai price.

so its not the fact of discrimination that bothers you, its the scale . well, as for any service or item that is considered too expensive, its best to refuse to buy it.

IMO it's just a greedy behaviour, the Thai authorities should better try stop the corruption and try to getting this money in the tax pott.

This would both bring a much better reputation for Thailand.

There are plenty dual pricing systems in the west. Don't get me started with examples.

To claim somethings without evidences is just blabla.

In germany every nationality pay the same price.

The only difference is made for Kids, Students, Elderlies and large groups and sometimes packagge prices.

There are plenty dual pricing systems in the west. Don't get me started with examples.

How about college tuition in Germany?

First, you are off topic, but here you are.

Tution fees until the 13 grade in germany for free in public schools and they are pretty good.

Public University fees actually zero as long you not study to long, then you have to pay depending on university and faculty but not sky high.

Administration fees per semester in my Province the highest 60€/semester.

But you have to show a good graduation result after 12./13. grade to join the university.

Measurements depending on the University/Faculty and some claim an qualification test in top.

Do you having anything better to offer?

http://www.studis-online.de/StudInfo/Gebuehren/tuition_fees.php

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

Nah they're racists - don't be in denial. Imagine if we did it to them in our countries?

And also, how can a Thai middle class family who likely lives in a nice home and drives a shiny new car not have money? What the hell are you talking about? Most foreigners here look like they have less money than many Thais and yet they are racially discriminated against by being asked to pay more at these tourist attractions.

The way I now see it is: any tourist attraction that charges a higher price for foreigners is basically saying: you are NOT welcome and we are charging you more to discourage your presence. However, since it would be too controversial to put up signs saying: "No foreigners allowed", charging you more is the next best thing.

Other countries in the region either don't practice dual pricing anymore, or much less than Thailand, and those countries are generally poorer than Thailand! Examples include Vietnam and Laos. Go figure that one out if you're still convinced that Thais, with their 20 million odd cars (which cost more than back home, mind you), smartphones, flat screen TVs, money to holiday abroad and everything else are still poor.

• Like 1

I often speak Thai to them and tell then I am a teacher and ask for the Thai price. Often don't need to show anything. It is their discretion.

At street markets I can ask for the price. I then speak Thai and ask for the Thai price and it drops 50%.

Greeting them in Thai and speaking Thai shows respect for their country.

Sorry not the same thing. At markets there's no such thing as the "Thai" price, it's what you can manage to bargain down and pay. There are no fixed prices and what you'll end up paying depends on your bargaining skills, but tends to be lower if you speak Thai.

The main gripe most of us have here is where there is government mandated dual pricing, which consists of different FIXED prices, one for Thais and another for foreigners (or sometimes only obvious foreigners), mainly for entering tourist sites, or tourist related places, such as some temples (mainly the more touristy ones), some museums and national parks, as well as greedy tourist sites such as botanical gardens and even some theme parks.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

Nah they're racists - don't be in denial. Imagine if we did it to them in our countries?

And also, how can a Thai middle class family who likely lives in a nice home and drives a shiny new car not have money? What the hell are you talking about? Most foreigners here look like they have less money than many Thais and yet they are racially discriminated against by being asked to pay more at these tourist attractions.

The way I now see it is: any tourist attraction that charges a higher price for foreigners is basically saying: you are NOT welcome and we are charging you more to discourage your presence. However, since it would be too controversial to put up signs saying: "No foreigners allowed", charging you more is the next best thing.

Other countries in the region either don't practice dual pricing anymore, or much less than Thailand, and those countries are generally poorer than Thailand! Examples include Vietnam and Laos. Go figure that one out if you're still convinced that Thais, with their 20 million odd cars (which cost more than back home, mind you), smartphones, flat screen TVs, money to holiday abroad and everything else are still poor.

They're ALL racists are they? And we're not in OUR countries, we're in theirs. If dual prices bother you so much and you think they're racist then why choose to live here?

As for the Thai families with nice houses and shiny new cars comment.....What exactly are you getting at? You sound like you expect them to live in mud huts and travel by buffalo. Thailand's current household debt is 83.5% of GDP making it the second highest in SE Asia, maybe they're in that much debt trying to keep up with the farang who earn about 10times what the average Thai does?

I think not fair to compare 1st world countries charging the same admission based on the country's economy. The price is already high.

Thai prices are set to make it available to enough Thai people. Most westerners have enough money to pay a slightly higher price.

Prices are set by market demand. If they can raise the price and only slightly effect demand then that is following the principles of economics. It is more Thais are getting a discount.

Most people don't care if students get discount or elderly get discount at a theater when everyone gets the same seat.

Everyone pays the same for food.

I find a lot of this statement stupid, So because you are a millionaire you have to pay more in any Country.

Exactly.

I think Brian is a bit deluded...I mean, first of all, the price of admission to tourist sites in western or other 1st world countries is NOT necessarily high. Some places are even free, such as many national parks are in Australia and other countries, for example. In general natural tourist sites are free in a lot of countries. And the other thing is that the foreigner price at some attractions in Thailand is MUCH, MUCH higher than something similar back home. And especially if you take into account that there are no student or senior prices in Thailand, not even for Thais. Case in point is say Mimosa Pattaya I think. That's not even a theme park, but it costs a whooping 1200 Baht for foreigners, but only 50 Baht for Thais to enter? It's an outdoor shopping mall for god's sake! How many shopping malls charge you money, ANY money to enter in the USA, Australia or Europe? How about NONE? Absolutely NONE. And who in their right mind would pay US$40 to enter a shopping mall in the first place? What a freaking joke.

Secondly, no Thai attraction should ever expect to get by from foreign tourists; they can't assume they'll come. A fair price should be established so everyone can afford to come, which means whatever price a Thai is willing to pay, they should charge everyone else the same too. Charging foreigners more is simply greedy and discriminatory. Also, most tourist attractions are made with middle class visitors in mind - poor Thai blue collar workers making 300-500 Baht a day neither have the time nor money to go to any tourist attractions, irrespective if they are discounted or not. Virtually ALL middle class Thais live in nice houses, condos etc. and possess 1, even 2 cars per household. Now if that doesn't suggest they have money, I don't know what does.

But unfortunately some people like Brian are obviously still living in some kind of 1950's movie or is it that old colonial mindset perhaps, portraying Thais as all living in slums, with no air-conditioning, begging for money on the streets etc. However, the vast majority of Thais would be greatly offended if you told them you think they're poor. Yet that doesn't stop the apologists from making snide remarks like: "oh, those poor Thais!" "they can't afford to pay the higher rates", when of course they are just missing the point altogether and in fact, doing themselves a disservice because they are actually the ones who are discriminating against Thais, not actually defending them, when they claim they are poor.

Unfortunately, in the world we're living in, discriminating on the basis of race or nationality is NO longer acceptable and it's about time Thailand finally stepped on the bandwagon. Of course dual pricing isn't merely the only example of Thai discrimination against foreigners. No land ownership. Restrictions on opening a business or working in any company i.e. 4 Thai workers per foreigner. Oh and what about the Grand Palace? There's a "Thai" entrance, and a "foreigners" entrance. To me that screams discrimination. Apartheid or segregation anyone?

• Like 1

Wouldn't you?

They're ALL racists are they? And we're not in OUR countries, we're in theirs. If dual prices bother you so much and you think they're racist then why choose to live here?

As for the Thai families with nice houses and shiny new cars comment.....What exactly are you getting at? You sound like you expect them to live in mud huts and travel by buffalo. Thailand's current household debt is 83.5% of GDP making it the second highest in SE Asia, maybe they're in that much debt trying to keep up with the farang who earn about 10times what the average Thai does?

You're an apologist and you're blinded by your own stupidity. Why should I care what the household debt in Thailand is? Do you know how much the household debt is in the USA? Or in the Uk? Just about everyone in these countries are also in great big debt. How many Americans purchase a car in cash these days? I can bet you a lot more Thais can afford to do so than Americans. Being in debt is no excuse to be charged less than you or me.

And the FACT that Thais own cars and nice houses suggests they have money. To suggest they can't pay 100 Baht for something they are only charged 20 Baht for, is pretty bizarre. But that's not the point - it should be the other way round because foreigners are simply being duped by being forced to pay more.

And "Farangs" don't all earn 10 times more than Thais. You are the ignorant and discriminatory one by suggesting Thais are poor, a statement they would be greatly offended with. How about all the English teachers earning 30000 Baht and then the Thais with 5 years working experience earning 120,000 baht? That's not uncommon these days for Thais working in white collar jobs in Bangkok, at mid-level management. Many others are also doing reasonably well at 40,000-60,000 Baht. Not every Thai works for 500 Baht a day at Big C you know.

You should get out more.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

Wouldn't you?

There are thousands of very wealthy Thais. Some are hugely wealthy. All of them are far more wealthy than the average farang tourist.

Do those wealthy Thais get charged more when going to the zoo here? I doubt it.

Good point. Some anecdotal evidence suggests sometimes they are charged more, but I too highly doubt it as I've never heard of one case of a BMW driving Thai family or say 2 businessmen on a short break from a meeting who decide to visit a temple or whatever being asked to pay a higher price than the normal Thai price.

Two tier pricing is just plain wrong in any country. In a tourist destination like Thailand, it sends out an unfriendly message and leaves a bad impression.

Absolutely it does. It's basically saying: "we don't really want you here, but since it would be too controversial to put up signs saying "no foreigners allowed", we will simply charge you more to discourage you. If you still decide to come anyway, we get the last laugh because we get more of your money".

When you farangs finally understand it: YOU are TOLERATED = NOT wished, but only..NOT kicked out, because of your spending money in TH.

You have only one and one right only: leave as much as possible money in an as short as possible time, gain as less as possible advantage of it, and when your wallet and bank account are empty, kicked out of this racist country.

Imagine, in our western countries we did the same as the Thai do with farangs: the courts would be full of anti-discrimination cases. But in Thailand.. no chance.

So OR accept it OR leave.

+1

Sad, but true.

Tution fees until the 13 grade in germany for free in public schools and they are pretty good.

Public University fees actually zero as long you not study to long, then you have to pay depending on university and faculty but not sky high.

But you have to show a good graduation result after 12./13. grade to join the university.

Measurements depending on the University/Faculty and some claim an qualification test in top.

My point was to say that you were correct before. To my knowledge Germany does not charge foreigners more for education. I think it's a great idea. America should do the same as should Thailand. I don't think it is off topic. Thailand could learn a lot from Germany in many areas and dual pricing is one in particular. Dual pricing is ignorant from many points of view especially in education. Thailand needs bright well educated people as does Germany.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 2

When you farangs finally understand it: YOU are TOLERATED = NOT wished, but only..NOT kicked out, because of your spending money in TH.

You have only one and one right only: leave as much as possible money in an as short as possible time, gain as less as possible advantage of it, and when your wallet and bank account are empty, kicked out of this racist country.

Imagine, in our western countries we did the same as the Thai do with farangs: the courts would be full of anti-discrimination cases. But in Thailand.. no chance.

So OR accept it OR leave.

+1

Sad, but true.

Thailand deserve it to go economically to hell, China is waiting to take it over for coins.

• Like 1

Thailand deserve it to go economically to hell, China is waiting to take it over for coins.

It's what happen when you institutionalize ethnocentrism. Thailand needs laborers from the neighboring countries and investment from the West. Someone in the system should start teaching this. Although I can see why it doesn't happen. Many countries need workers and investment but are still struggling with immigration and investment disputes. Nationalism is difficult to replace with the realities of the multinational corporate world. The Chinese and Americans can exist with their own internal markets but the rest of us need other countries to prosper.

• Like 1

My point was to say that you were correct before. To my knowledge Germany does not charge foreigners more for education. I think it's a great idea. America should do the same as should Thailand. I don't think it is off topic. Thailand could learn a lot from Germany in many areas and dual pricing is one in particular. Dual pricing is ignorant from many points of view especially in education. Thailand needs bright well educated people as does Germany.

You are right a foreigner don't pay more in Germany not in parks and no intution fees in public Schools or public university all the same, but not different.

My hometown close to Heidelberg great city over 30,000 students and to Mannheim about 12,000 students with great opportunities to study.

As student you can buy a semester ticket for 6 month for 150€, valid in a big region called Rhein-Neckar-Region.

This is what I would call social,every student pay the same price.

http://www.vrn.de/mam/vrn/tickets/dokumente/2015_wabenplan.pdf

• Like 1

A lot of countries don't like to having to much well educated ppl, caused they can getting a to bright mind. wink.png

The easiest way to avoid that a lot of ppl getting a good education charge high prices, happend in a lot of countries all over the world.

Politicians in such countries tell their own ppl, that they like to provide free education for all, but need time.

This is often just Propaganda to keeping the ppl quiet, just give them enough food provide them TV to make them more stupid in top attract them to buy things they don't need.

It is still like Nero said about 2000 years ago to keeping the folk quiet. "panem et circensis" simple said feed them and entertain them and they will keeping quiet mostly.

Surprisingly it still works in every country in this world, caused after getting elected the most of the politician forgetting their promises and do what they want.

Only keeping the simple rule of Nero, caused hungry ppl tend to making protests or in the worst case a revolution.

The only difference is made for Kids, Students, Elderlies and large groups and sometimes packagge prices.

germany isnt the entire west.

I never said entire west this did "thaiguyfromanotherforum" maybe you should read all my posts here.

Anyway I been in a lot of countries in Europe was never faced with a similar pricing system like in Thailand.

• Like 1

I never said entire west this did "thaiguyfromanotherforum" maybe you should read all my posts here.

Anyway I been in a lot of countries in Europe was never faced with a similar pricing system like in Thailand.

"theguyfromanotherforum"

europe aint the be all and end all either pal

Wouldn't you?

You're an apologist and you're blinded by your own stupidity. Why should I care what the household debt in Thailand is? Do you know how much the household debt is in the USA? Or in the Uk? Just about everyone in these countries are also in great big debt. How many Americans purchase a car in cash these days? I can bet you a lot more Thais can afford to do so than Americans. Being in debt is no excuse to be charged less than you or me.

And the FACT that Thais own cars and nice houses suggests they have money. To suggest they can't pay 100 Baht for something they are only charged 20 Baht for, is pretty bizarre. But that's not the point - it should be the other way round because foreigners are simply being duped by being forced to pay more.

And "Farangs" don't all earn 10 times more than Thais. You are the ignorant and discriminatory one by suggesting Thais are poor, a statement they would be greatly offended with. How about all the English teachers earning 30000 Baht and then the Thais with 5 years working experience earning 120,000 baht? That's not uncommon these days for Thais working in white collar jobs in Bangkok, at mid-level management. Many others are also doing reasonably well at 40,000-60,000 Baht. Not every Thai works for 500 Baht a day at Big C you know.

You should get out more.

And you're a troll who cannot have a discussion without being a brave man behind your keyboard. It's says a lot more about you than it does me. If you dislike Thailand that much then leave, farang like you are neither welcome here or wanted.

• Like 1