Thai price / Foreigner price

johncat1

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

It's in africa in every national parc the same foreigner pay more, but not in germany.

@ Kenyan National Parks (sorry don't remember for the other african countries), there are 3 prices:

1. For Kenyans

2. For expats working and living in the country

3. For tourists

Daily fees for tourists are very high. However, tourists don't realize it since it's included in their packages.

As an expat, you tend to go there without travel agent's help. We used to drive to these parks. Therefore, we paid the daily rate @ the gate.

Back to Thailand, prices are, at first, based on the color of your skin. To me, it's racism.

se, its

Obviously if you're Thai (but don't look Thai) AND you can prove it, then you'll get the Thai price. Otherwise you're f..... !

nonsense, its based on nationality

It doesn't matter what other Countries do, the topic is about dual pricing in Thailand.

Maybe the UK should introduce a dual pricing system, that would certainly help David Cameron to reduce the numbers of Immigrants overnight.

The problem is that it wouldn't be allowed. The EU courts would jump on us declaring it discriminating and racist.

Anyone who has taken the steps to be legally in a Country, should pay the same price as the normal citizens.

We all have the freedom to make choices. I like Thailand, I don't want to go back to the UK, but by the same principal when I'm faced with discrimination and racism, I also have the freedom of choice to walk away and ignore it, or accept it and pay a farang price.

It doesn't matter what other Countries do, the topic is about dual pricing in Thailand.

Maybe the UK should introduce a dual pricing system, that would certainly help David Cameron to reduce the numbers of Immigrants overnight.

The problem is that it wouldn't be allowed. The EU courts would jump on us declaring it discriminating and racist.

Anyone who has taken the steps to be legally in a Country, should pay the same price as the normal citizens.

We all have the freedom to make choices. I like Thailand, I don't want to go back to the UK, but by the same principal when I'm faced with discrimination and racism, I also have the freedom of choice to walk away and ignore it, or accept it and pay a farang price.

it isnt based on race, its based on nationality and most countries have some form of it

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

It's in africa in every national parc the same foreigner pay more, but not in germany.

@ Kenyan National Parks (sorry don't remember for the other african countries), there are 3 prices:

1. For Kenyans

3. For tourists

Daily fees for tourists are very high. However, tourists don't realize it since it's included in their packages.

As an expat, you tend to go there without travel agent's help. We used to drive to these parks. Therefore, we paid the daily rate @ the gate.

Back to Thailand, prices are, at first, based on the color of your skin. To me, it's racism.

se, its

Obviously if you're Thai (but don't look Thai) AND you can prove it, then you'll get the Thai price. Otherwise you're f..... !

nonsense, its based on nationality

It's all about "perceived nationality". And this is racism.

If they think you're thai you'll pay thai price. If not, you'll have to provide evidence.

"Use of rosy lenses will damage your brains (if any)"

• Like 2

If they think you're thai you'll pay thai price. If not, you'll have to provide evidence.

news for ya pal,thai is not a race for a start and any asian tour groups pay farang prices.

I think in "most" of these places it's effectively a discounted Resident's Price and Non-Resident's Price. Pretty much the same as happens all over the planet.

ScreenShot2014-12-26at093937am_zps61a921

do you think before writing?

this is no discount for US Americans, it is a discount for peopel living near,

but we talking about 5 or 10 times higher prices for non thais, this is a big different

Are you intentionally being ignorant? His point is that there is dual-pricing going on everywhere, Thailand is no different. And as many have stated, farangs in Thailand with a Thai driver's license or work permit will almost always get the local price. Explain how that is racist.

• Like 1

news for ya pal,thai is not a race for a start and any asian tour groups pay farang prices.

If you like to play with words, plse go... on your own

Btw, I'm not your "pal"

Btw, I'm not your "pal"

what i freally like is replying to bigoted posts, pal o mine

• Like 1

Btw, I'm not your "pal"

what i freally like is replying to bigoted posts, pal o mine

Obviously, we don't have the same background...

Stay in your own little fantasy world

I was in Malaysia a few years ago and suprised that Malaysia nationals with Malay heritage payed a cheaper price than Malaysia nationals with Chinese heritage.

Malaysian national with Chinese heritage payed the same price as foreigner.

It isn't based on nationality but based on race.

Work permit in Thailand generally gets lower price except at Wat Pra Gao

Wouldn't you?

1. For Kenyans

3. For tourists

Next time we should make our faces black like special forces in action and wear the same clothes and weapons for sure the national parc stuff will be afraid to charge us the farang price. cheesy.gif

Regardless for the reasons of dual pricing for foreigners/races, I think we can all agree that many foreigners have the perspective that it reflects poorly on Thai people. Many foreigners believe it is unwelcoming, as evidence by this forum. Would I be correct to say that it seems to create so much bad will/karma/reputation for the Thai people, in particular the tourism industry? I'm not disclosing a position on the topic here. But wouldn't it be worthwhile for the Thai people to forgo the few hundred extra baht to have harmony and good will throughout the country and around the world?

MoganDave, if you're saying you'd rather pay a higher price so that poor kids can get into the zoo, that's great. But let's not confuse admission price with donations, which are a non-mandatory gesture of good will. If you wish to donate, you should be paying extra on top of whatever it already is.

• Like 1

news for ya. you are wrong.

dual pricing is based on race / perceived race

Example...

I went to Koh Samed with a philipino girl I was seeing at the time. I had to pay inflated farang price for entry while she kept her mouth shut and paid thai price, no questions asked.

• Like 2

I think in "most" of these places it's effectively a discounted Resident's Price and Non-Resident's Price. Pretty much the same as happens all over the planet.

ScreenShot2014-12-26at093937am_zps61a921

There is a offer in USA for an annual pass for over 2,000 federal recreation sites for any Tourists $ 80 IMO a quite fair offer.

In some parcs is 1 annual pass valid for all passengers in a private car.

http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

In some bloody parcs in africa you have to pay this for a single person for 1 day.

news for ya. you are wrong.

dual pricing is based on race / perceived race

Example...

I went to Koh Samed with a philipino girl I was seeing at the time. I had to pay inflated farang price for entry while she kept her mouth shut and paid thai price, no questions asked.

Sorry but you are wrong, like others said, it's basee on (perceived) nationality. If they think you are Thai you get the Thai price, if they think you are a non-Thai (including other Asian nationals), you get the foreigner price. You may at many places get the Thai price if you show Thai DL, workpermit, yellow Thibaan etc. Asians who keep their mouth shut may be perceived as Thai and thus get the Thai prce. If they realize it are Filipono/Malaysian/Lao/whatever asians, they pay the foreigner price.
  • Like 2

The argument, 'their country their rules' becomes a little less solid when a foreigner is charged a higher price for medical care in a private hospital, a price which might exclude the foreigner from the treatment or deter the foreigner seeking early medical investigation/treatment.

I'm not sure that I see your point; could't you say the same about a Thai in the UK, having to pay for medical treatment when a local gets it free on the NHS?

The same would apply to that same Thai travelling to Oz, where the locals get free medical treatment on Medicare, whereas a Thai would have to pay upwards of $60 just to see a doctor, with no Medicare subsidy on (outrageously overpriced) pharmaceuticals.

If you are making the point that the cost of private treatment should be the same to all, then I agree with you there.

A Thai working legally in the UK would get free medical treatment

There is no distinction just because of skin colour

Neither is there a distinction here on skin colour. I'm Thai. I'm white. I get the local rate.

The distinction is on nationality. Similar distinctions exist elsewhere.

I don't agree that the essentials of life, food, health care, shelter and clothing, should be subject to double pricing but Thailand is not the only country that commits this sin ......

Where did I even suggest this practice has anything to do with skin colour?

Expats defending pricing practices under which they themselves are charged a higher price.

Perhaps they feel that their willingness to bend over and take it demonstrates their 'oneness' with Thailand.

Curiously, those objecting to anyone expressing an opinion against dual pricing are also those who object to foreigners giving tips in Thailand.

Bend over and take it boys, if it makes you happy.

But please, don't dictate the opinions of the rest of us, there is requirement in the visa rules that we must all be so submissive.

• Like 2

In Germany you having a lot of good offers for example a lot of Cities like Berlin, Köln, Heidelberg etc. offer Citycards from 1 to several days with different options to choose.

For example for parcs, Castles, Museums etc. inclusive public transportion, or exclusive transportation or only for transportation.

Some provinces also offer Province cards for Castles and Parcs inclusive World Heritage Places like my Province Baden Württemberg you getting a Card for 24 attractions valid 1 year from the first use you can visit every attraction once.

Same price for Germans and foreigners.

24 € for adults, 12 € for kids 6 -12 yo. under 6 yo for free.

Baden Württemberg Card http://www.schloesser-und-gaerten.de/en/

Berlin Card http://www.berlin.de/en/

Heidelberg Card http://www.heidelberg-marketing.com/

For Germans and Foreigner the same price, but it is not easy to catch all the benefits.

Recommandation: If your are 4 or more persons hire a private guide pay him 100€ cash a day and he will save you the 100€ or more a day and he is then for free and no hassle to going around use publish transportation.

I live in wine region along the rhine river about 400 km from Koblenz to Basel on both sites of the river growing wine and to talking about the good sober beers(Reinheitsgebot 1516 only nature incredients allowed like water, hops, malt and wheat).

We don't have in germany to advertise for beer this is like to carry Wine into the rhine river.

Conclusion: In Germany all paying the same price germans and foreigners and not getting robbed by entry fees all getting treated like welcome guests, as long they don't act like hooligans.

Make your holiday in Countries with similar rules and reasonable prices and let the others go to hell.

Som nam na.

As long enough ppl go to visit countries with insane fees and prices for foreigners this will never change.

Changes are only possible, when you hit their pockets.

Money rules the world.

For me mission accomplished.

Carpe diem. wai2.gif

• Like 1

I think not fair to compare 1st world countries charging the same admission based on the country's economy. The price is already high.

Thai prices are set to make it available to enough Thai people. Most westerners have enough money to pay a slightly higher price.

Prices are set by market demand. If they can raise the price and only slightly effect demand then that is following the principles of economics. It is more Thais are getting a discount.

Most people don't care if students get discount or elderly get discount at a theater when everyone gets the same seat.

Everyone pays the same for food.

I think not fair to compare 1st world countries charging the same admission based on the country's economy. The price is already high.

Thai prices are set to make it available to enough Thai people. Most westerners have enough money to pay a slightly higher price.

Prices are set by market demand. If they can raise the price and only slightly effect demand then that is following the principles of economics. It is more Thais are getting a discount.

Most people don't care if students get discount or elderly get discount at a theater when everyone gets the same seat.

I find a lot of this statement stupid, So because you are a millionaire you have to pay more in any Country.

• Like 1

Their country their rules ,like it or not . When my daughter husband and grandaughter were over we all went to Sri Racha zoo ,when the woman realized we were all one familly Thai and British ,she gave Thai price to everyone.

Yes there rules there Country, that's why there tourist industry is going down the drain. when we go anywhere and they try and make me pay more than my Thai wife , i say no thanks and walk away , there loss. If other people did this they would soon learn.

I find a lot of this statement stupid, So because you are a millionaire you have to pay more in any Country.

It's hard to write more bulls$$t in such a short sentence as you do.

...I saw a very sad example of how racist and greedy Thai people really are.

And how the Farang loss of face syndrome can elevate the trivial to a mountain of hot gas.

Is it racist and greedy that virtually all farang visitors and residents live a comfortable life well beyond anything that the majority of Thais will ever experience?

And so many like that think WE are stupid

• Like 1

Their country their rules ,like it or not . When my daughter husband and grandaughter were over we all went to Sri Racha zoo ,when the woman realized we were all one familly Thai and British ,she gave Thai price to everyone.

Yes there rules there Country, that's why there tourist industry is going down the drain. when we go anywhere and they try and make me pay more than my Thai wife , i say no thanks and walk away , there loss. If other people did this they would soon learn.

The point is in normal countries are all the fees for national parcs published in their websites not like in Thailand they publish only the farang fees.

Simple said, they like to cheat.

If the would publish all fees there, then every tourist could decide in advance, this would be ok for me, as long the farang price is not more a the triple Thai price.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/entrance_fee.asp?lg=2

The swimming pool the city runs near my home charges more for non-residents than residents. Here in America. Happens all over.

People in these forums try to single out Thai people as being different. However, there are not a lot of differences among people for the very most part. Anyway.

"non residents" - fair enough. So if a person who is resident and doesn't have white skin they still get in at resident's price.

The difference her is that many places don't accept proof of residence but insist that the lower price is a "Thai price". Any white skinned person (even if they have lived here 30 years and show proof) are still charged extra. That in any language is racism!

It happened to me on the BTS. They even refused to allow me to add money to my wife's pensioner's card.