Thai price / Foreigner price

johncat1

The point is in normal countries are all the fees for national parcs published in their websites not like in Thailand they publish only the farang fees.

Simple said, they like to cheat.

If the would publish all fees there, then every tourist could decide in advance, this would be ok for me, as long the farang price is not more a the triple Thai price.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/entrance_fee.asp?lg=2

Sheesh!! The problem with your rant is that they DO publish all fees online. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Why do you do that?

National Park Entrance Fees for all. Does Thailand now qualify as a "normal country"?

ScreenShot2014-12-28at100821pm_zps5632c3

Edited by rajyindee
  • Like 1

I used to live in Los Angeles. Many times Disneyland would offer significant discounts to people in the surrounding cities but charge tourist full price.

It's about marketing.

Funny that Thais assume if you have an Asian face then are Thai. I had a Japanese American friend born and raised in Hawaii and Thai people would ask her how she spoke English so good.

I always try to get the Thai price but I realize my income is probably triple many Thai people and I don't need the Thai discount.

Most places have the regular price in English and the discounted Thai price in Thai language.

Foreigners must pay a higher price to attend university international programs. I am not sure if the government supports universities like ABAC or the reason. Even with the discount there are very few Thai students.

It's not rich people paying more but generally poorer people paying less. Many students have lots of money but generally poorer and frequently get discounts. Is this good?

OP, I'm against the 2 tier prices also.

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

Recently, after obtaining the Yellow book, I pay Thai prices.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

It's just an attempt to increase their revenues from people that they believe that can afford to pay more.

they wouldnt try it on with a rich thai family who turn up in a new Merc so it must be about racism and lack of respect for people of other races

I wish I could like this post 100 times. I agree entirely.

Again I have experience. I went to a park in Chiang Mai with a very wealthy Thai family and friends. They were given VIP treatment but when they saw me sitting in the back of the car they asked for the farang price. My friend argued that I live here, I spoke Thai, I showed them me work permit and drivers license. No way would they give me the Thai price.

After a long argument my friend told them to "forget it", turned the cars around (we were about 10 people, including "bodyguards and drivers" ... yes it is true.) and he shouted to all the cars waiting in the queue "get out , get out ...someone has fallen in the hot spring... I saw his ghost... he's coming ... get out"

One of the best days that year.

• Like 1

Frequently there is age discrimination.

Clearly listing children are cheaper.

Some places offer discounts if over 65.

Some offer student discounts.

Why should they pay less.

Should be same price for all. Right?

Without the discounts they would loose many people (and revenue)

One thing that really bugs me about this is when I go out drinking, whit my Thai friends I pay 60-70 Baht for a big bottle of Leo, then I went to ThaiVisa lounge with my nephew, 125 Baht and it turned out to be a small bottle!!! Talk about overcharging...

And for me it's a big deal as I'm living on a teachers salary not on a fat check from back home or working for an international company!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

But I have to accept it, as it is also happening in my country and other countries I have been.

But to make a statement that they are racists because of that, it's out of order.

As I said before, Thais are not racists, but they do envy foreigners earning more money than them and can have a better life.

Wouldn't you?

I'm afraid that's very Thai logic you're spouting - discrimination (of any sort) on the basis of race is RACISM..............get it?

Pricing based on residency is NOT Racism...and a serious mistake to conflate the two concepts.

I agree.

But often proof of residency will NOT give you the Thai price. That is racism.

It's not about race. And certainly has nothing to do with age. It's about tax dollars. Public facilities like the Korat Zoo are paid for with tax dollars. Thai tax dollars. If you're able to show a work permit or sometimes just a non-B, you can pay the Thai rate at those facilities. Usually. Every once in a while you get a ticket vendor that's not familiar with that policy...

Nope. You can be a foreigner and pay tax up under your ears in Thailand, doesn't matter following top head of park officials in Bangkok. Now if your under 15 or over 59 yes you get in for Thai price or even free some places.

• Like 1

The point is in normal countries are all the fees for national parcs published in their websites not like in Thailand they publish only the farang fees.

Simple said, they like to cheat.

If the would publish all fees there, then every tourist could decide in advance, this would be ok for me, as long the farang price is not more a the triple Thai price.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/entrance_fee.asp?lg=2

Sheesh!! The problem with your rant is that they DO publish all fees online. It's a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Why do you do that?

You see, totally transparent. Does Thailand now qualify as a "normal country"?

ScreenShot2014-12-28at094752pm_zpsaa972c

Ok I have to apologize, but I could not find on the first hand.

Anyway I can not agree with their fee policy as I said before I could agree with max. the triple price for foreigners Thailand is far away from a normal country, caused of different fees for foreigners.

It's not about race. And certainly has nothing to do with age. It's about tax dollars. Public facilities like the Korat Zoo are paid for with tax dollars. Thai tax dollars. If you're able to show a work permit or sometimes just a non-B, you can pay the Thai rate at those facilities. Usually. Every once in a while you get a ticket vendor that's not familiar with that policy...

So, if I understand you clearly, Thais who don't pay income tax, for whatever reason, should pay the increased price...

God, I'm getting raked over the coals for this one... All I'm saying is that's the way it is and that's why it is that way.

But if you're asking me personally, then yeah, I think it's fair that foreigners pay a little extra to enjoy attractions that are funded by Thai taxpayers. That being said, I think they've got it weighted a little high for foreigners. I mean, I think national parks are like 40 THB for Thais and 200- or maybe even 400- THB for foreigners. That's kinda ridiculous. Still, it doesn't compare to the likes of Angkor Wat over in Cambo: free for locals and something like $20 per day for foreigners.

If only they would set the difference as locals (regardless of nationality) and non locals (regardless of nationality).

I must admit that i don't agree with this " dual pricing " but when i am on my travels and face the situation i put my foot down and will stand there being polite and firm and in the end they give me the Thai Price! ( i always carry ID ) and my income is much less than a " rice field worker " ( 5,500 baht a month ) so why should i pay more than a Thai ????? Most of the time as we all know the Thais don't like confrontation so will give in very quickly!

F.J x

I am okay with tourists paying more than citizens.

Cracks me up when guys that spend more on coffee than a lot of Thais earn squeak about having to pay a little more for something.

If you can't afford to travel stay home.

The adult price for a foreigner at Korat Zoo is 150 baht. This I can tell you is bloody good value, the Zoo is excellent and on top of that there is a fantastic swimming complex. I often spend a day there with my 7 year old daughter. If it's good value I do not worry about two tier pricing.

Tell me the thai price and I will give an answer.

Foreigners who possess a valid work permit and pay tax to the Royal Thai Government through a Tax [payer] Identification Number (TIN) have no legal entitlement to the “local rate” at any of the National Parks throughout the kingdom, a National Parks tourism promotion officer has confirmed. - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php#sthash.LnSYlIlm.dpuf

I must admit that i don't agree with this " dual pricing " but when i am on my travels and face the situation i put my foot down and will stand there being polite and firm and in the end they give me the Thai Price! ( i always carry ID ) and my income is much less than a " rice field worker " ( 5,500 baht a month ) so why should i pay more than a Thai ????? Most of the time as we all know the Thais don't like confrontation so will give in very quickly!

F.J x

You are a lucky man, but when you would show up in new pickup, then you would have more often some discusssions I guess. wink.png

Wouldn't you?

If such happend in Scandinavia

2 tier pricing

we would be bombed by muslims and faced lawsuit for being racists (if we survived)

so yes 2 tier pricing is racistic !

You are 100% right , but I did actually experience a kind of racist behaviour but let it go.

I was married to a Danish lady for many years and amongst other things we had a petrol card at Q* petrol stations. The card was in both of our names. When we divorced I asked them to wipe my wife's name off the card. They couldn't do that, I had to apply for a new card and cancel the old one. No problem.

After many weeks I hadn't received the card, so I called Q8. A young lady talked to me and after a few minutes she said "I am sorry, we cannot give you a card as you are not Danish.". I exploded and asked what the #$%$ she meant by that. I was so angry I slammed the phone down.

I applied for Shell.... got a much better deal.

Oh I am British, by the way.

• Like 1

At thai border crossing certain countries are given 30 days stay others only 15 days...some need visa other don't....strange no one claims this is RACISM..

This is Visa agreements worked out between the governments based on many things.

Nothing to do with racism.

• Like 1

Neither is there a distinction here on skin colour. I'm Thai. I'm white. I get the local rate.

The distinction is on nationality.

No it's not. It's based on whatever nationality the gatekeeper thinks you are.

I have seen Asian non-Thais get the Thai price without even having to show ID and I would bet if you didn't have your thai id with you, you would get charged the foreign price no matter how much explaining you do.

Absolutely. Which is why I always carry my Thai ID card. It's a legal requirement for me to do so anyway. All Thais have to carry their ID card.

Showing my Thai ID card always gets me the local price, with no exceptions. I sometimes get incredulous looks, occasionally people resent it, more often people find it amusing, but I always get the local price. As a Thai, it's my right, and nobody can deny that.

How much I pay is more of a nationality thing than a racist thing, I've found. I've always been white, and I always will be. Before I was a Thai, I paid the foreign rate, but now that I am a Thai I pay the Thai rate. My skin colour hasn't changed.

Yes, it is your right.

But, as you say, you get stopped and have to show your ID. Many many Asians and practically all Thais would never get stopped.

Foreigners who possess a valid work permit and pay tax to the Royal Thai Government through a Tax [payer] Identification Number (TIN) have no legal entitlement to the “local rate” at any of the National Parks throughout the kingdom, a National Parks tourism promotion officer has confirmed. - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tax-paying-foreigners-not-entitled-to-local-price-at-national-parks-50333.php#sthash.LnSYlIlm.dpuf

I read your interesting link already, as long I understud it, is any person in the age 60 and over regardless of any nationality free of charge.

Would be nice to getting a proper link to a government side which confirm this in english please.

Am I making a point that Private Medical Treatment should be the same price for all.

Yes I am.

More specifically that the differential pricing of medical care in private hospitals in Thailand acts as a barrier to foreign residents of Thailand receiving the care they need.

Expats, specifically those willing to bend over and take whatever is thrust up them, seldom like to address this issue, but it is of vital importance to all expats that they have access to affordable health care.

Dual priced health care in Thailand is a disgraceful example of exactly how money grubbing Thai businesses can be when it comes to foreigners, whom they perceive as an endless supply of easy cash.

There is a dual pricing system for Thai hospitals but only Falungs down on their luck would want to go there. 50 people to a ward.

All the decent hospitals like Bangkok Nursing, Bangkok Hospital, Samitiwej etc. are the same price for Thais and Falungs but most Thais can't afford them and they don't accept the 30 Baht scheme. I left out Bumungrad because it mainly caters for medical tourists.

All these hospitals have discount schemes which are available to Falungs and Thais.

You are completely wrong there.

Bangkok Hospital has several rates depending on whether you are a foreigner on holiday , a foreigner living and working here or a Thai national.

I know from personal experience where a quote was reduced by nearly 40% after I produced my work permit.

A Thai friend called the hospital to ask for a quote for the same operation. 50 % cheaper than they quoted me.

Needless to say I dropped them and found another private hospital at a third of BGH price.

In BKK most of the doctors work for several hospitals and everything is subject to negotiation. If you have foreign medical insurance the price will be high and of course the surgeon will try to get the best price he can.

My main complaint with Thai hospitals would be that they pad the bill with unnecessary medication and services and follow up visits.

Those that say the NHS in the UK is free are talking rubbish. You have to go private or go on a two year waiting list for anything that isn't immediately life threatening and the service is mostly shoddy to say the least.

I agree that the british NHS is shoddy and you have the long waiting times, but it is free.

The doctors in the Thai hospitals, as far as I know, have no say on the price. When I asked the doctor, he admitted he didn't know the price but I'd have to ask at the administration.

• Like 2

Wouldn't you?

they wouldnt try it on with a rich thai family who turn up in a new Merc so it must be about racism and lack of respect for people of other races

They wouldn't try it with a foreigner and a work permit earning 200K per month either. I'm telling you people, it's about taxes. Same as the hospitals. Get citizenship, or get a work permit, or get over it.

Many foreigners here have work permits but only earn 30K as government teachers. Nothing to do with taxes.

Discrimination based on age is also not good.

But people that get the discount probably feel it is correct.

Canarysun: How can any job pay that little? If you are retired then how could you meet the financial requirements to legally live in Thailand? Maybe big bank account?

• Like 2

One thing that really bugs me about this is when I go out drinking, whit my Thai friends I pay 60-70 Baht for a big bottle of Leo, then I went to ThaiVisa lounge with my nephew, 125 Baht and it turned out to be a small bottle!!! Talk about overcharging...

And for me it's a big deal as I'm living on a teachers salary not on a fat check from back home or working for an international company!

Pecunia non olet. To be greedy is not a question of any race or nationality.

Was the ThaiVisa lounge in a nicer neighborhood or less crowded or better atmosphere or different customers?

The food is not much better in expensive restaurants but different environment and customers.

Why does 1st class ticket cost less than coach on the same plane?

Wouldn't you?

They wouldn't try it with a foreigner and a work permit earning 200K per month either. I'm telling you people, it's about taxes. Same as the hospitals. Get citizenship, or get a work permit, or get over it.

Many foreigners here have work permits but only earn 30K as government teachers. Nothing to do with taxes.

Those same foreigners would be charged the Thai rate. It's not about how much you make, but where you make it.

• Like 1

So, if I understand you clearly, Thais who don't pay income tax, for whatever reason, should pay the increased price...

God, I'm getting raked over the coals for this one... All I'm saying is that's the way it is and that's why it is that way.

But if you're asking me personally, then yeah, I think it's fair that foreigners pay a little extra to enjoy attractions that are funded by Thai taxpayers. That being said, I think they've got it weighted a little high for foreigners. I mean, I think national parks are like 40 THB for Thais and 200- or maybe even 400- THB for foreigners. That's kinda ridiculous. Still, it doesn't compare to the likes of Angkor Wat over in Cambo: free for locals and something like $20 per day for foreigners.

If only they would set the difference as locals (regardless of nationality) and non locals (regardless of nationality).

If you don't have citizenship, you're not a local.

• Like 1

In BKK most of the doctors work for several hospitals and everything is subject to negotiation. If you have foreign medical insurance the price will be high and of course the surgeon will try to get the best price he can.

My main complaint with Thai hospitals would be that they pad the bill with unnecessary medication and services and follow up visits.

Those that say the NHS in the UK is free are talking rubbish. You have to go private or go on a two year waiting list for anything that isn't immediately life threatening and the service is mostly shoddy to say the least.

I agree that the british NHS is shoddy and you have the long waiting times, but it is free.

The doctors in the Thai hospitals, as far as I know, have no say on the price. When I asked the doctor, he admitted he didn't know the price but I'd have to ask at the administration.

If you are having an operation it's a good idea to sign a contract with the hospital because if something goes wrong it could end up costing a fortune.

So fix the price by contract once a price has been agreed because anything could happen.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 1

We all pay tax,vat.This is a way to get non taxpaying Thais to contribute to the coffers.

Was the ThaiVisa lounge in a nicer neighborhood or less crowded or better atmosphere or different customers?

The food is not much better in expensive restaurants but different environment and customers.

Why does 1st class ticket cost less than coach on the same plane?

125b for small beer is a rip.

• Like 1

Their country their rules ,like it or not . When my daughter husband and grandaughter were over we all went to Sri Racha zoo ,when the woman realized we were all one familly Thai and British ,she gave Thai price to everyone.

Yes there rules there Country, that's why there tourist industry is going down the drain. when we go anywhere and they try and make me pay more than my Thai wife , i say no thanks and walk away , there loss. If other people did this they would soon learn.

For 5 that walk,1 will pay,coveri g costs,they will never learn.

Khon Kaen zoo, went there dec 27, on the entrance feebig sign have indicated people over 60 enter for free.

Showed them my Thai drivers license saying them I was over 60.

No way I could get in for free, does not apply for foreigners, 5555

Had to pay 200B for myself, wife and 3 year young.

Seems entry price 100B pp, kids 70 young children 20.

Don't know how this adds up to 200B.

Anyway, reasonably amount to get in.

They have open type of buses running around, 20B pp, a must if you don't want to walk the mile around the grounds...

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 1