Bueng Kan immigration office refused my retirement extension

I went there on December 25th in the morning with everything that might be needed to extend my O-A visa, as far as documentation of income. Mainly, I had my notarized statement of monthly income from the US Embassy, but also carried along documentation for each of my income streams, totaling to more than the required 65K baht monthly income stream. I presented all of the documents that would normally be asked for in order to receive the retirement extension. My first extension, by the way. I have already gotten nearly two years stay out of my O-A visa.

The Bueng Kan office seems to have a problem with having the "boss" actually being present there because most of the time, when his signature is required, in my experience, he is never there and I am asked to return a few hours later. So they told me to come back after lunch and it would be finalized at that time. Sounded routine, so far. I came back at around 1 PM and after waiting for the "boss" to finally come back from lunch, my immigration officer, that I see every time I go to that office, advised me that his boss had rejected my application and my one year extension was being refused by the big boss. Of course, I wondered and asked why. He said that his boss didn't believe the statement of income and wanted to see some kind of evidence. No problem. I produced the documents that I had anticipated that they might ask for in order to verify my income. My immigration officer said that he would show them to his "boss" and call me back later. But they would keep the passport for now and would return it to me by mail, in any case.

I live one hour away from the Bueng Kan immigration office, so I drove back home and later in the evening, my immigration officer called me and asked me to return in the morning with a marriage certificate and some proof of ATM withdrawals. Be there at 9AM. I said OK and then went to print out all of my ATM activity for the last year, and there was plenty of it to show. I felt quite confident, at this point that I had sufficient evidence to satisfy the "boss" that I had enough money to live in Thailand.

By 9:30, the following morning, everyone involved had shown up at the immigration office. A while later, the "boss" ask me to come to his office. He asked me many questions for about 30 minutes, mainly "why are you living here?" and "What do you do every day?". Then he asked about how I get my money in Thailand, to which I answered that I mostly used the ATM. He then spoke to the immigration officer I had been dealing with and told him to add up all of my ATM activity to see if it would be sufficient for me to stay in Thailand. The officer spent about an hour adding it all up and it came out to roughly 650,000 baht from what I could see of all his figuring. I had to wait until after lunch again, since the "boss" had left the building again. So after lunch I came back and was told that my application had been rejected again. Apparently, my ATM activity was insufficient for me to be able to stay in Thailand. My Passport was stamped that my application for extension had been rejected and I would have to leave the Kingdom by Jan 20, 2015.

While I was sitting there waiting, a fellow from Norway showed up to file for an extension of stay, and he produced the statement of income from his embassy. They asked to see his bank book also, which he did not bring. He stated that he did not have a bank in Thailand and they said they wanted to see the information from whatever bank he had. So they decided that he would have time to come back after the new year and show the bank book then. He did protest a bit, saying that his embassy had already verified his income before issuing the statement of income before issuing it. His wife or girlfriend told him that this is Thailand and they want to see the proof.

At least they returned to me my original, notarized, statement of income when I left. I am thinking this may be useful to get a new visa in Lao. I only live 15 minutes from Nakon Phanom province, so I think next time I need to extend my visa, I may have rented a house there, which will not require me to return to the Bueng Kan office for my extension. I have had enough of the Bueng Kan "big boss" and his interpretation of the rules. Of course, the 1900 baht I had paid for the extension was non-refundable.

But I would like to hear from anyone about my possible visa options, at this point in time. I don't like the idea of leaving every three months. I would like to get another one-year visa, extendable. I am qualified, according to the written regulations, to obtain a retirement visa or extension, but somehow, not in the province in which I live. Maybe one of the Lao consulates would be able to do so. I am within a two or three hours of three of the bridges to Lao.

Would especially love to hear Ubon Joe's opinion of my options.

Edited by Issanman
  • Like 1

It seems they have taken the same position that Nong Kai immigration has taken that your money must be transferred to a Thai bank.

The best bank for you would be Bangkok Bank because you can have ACH transfers done to your account via their New York branch. If you are getting social security you can have your payments direct deposited to your account also.

Info here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx

If you are married to a Thai you could get a 60 day extension to visit her that would give your more time to get things sorted out. You could also go to Savannakhet and get a single entry non-o visa.

I do have a Bangkok Bank account and they looked at and copied every page of the book. But I did not think I would need to show transfers amounting to 800K for the year. I am also married to a Thai for 38 years now, but she is not currently in Thailand and we are unsure when she will be able to return. Thanks for your response.

"my immigration officer, that I see every time I go to that office," - if you were on a Visa, why would you ever visit Immigration ?

"asked me to return in the morning with a marriage certificate" - for a retirement visa ?

Seems a little strange to me.

He needed to visit Immigration in order to obtain a 1-year extension of stay for retirement purposes following the expiry of his latest permission to stay granted under his original OA visa, which was due to expire on 20 January 2015 (the permission to stay that is, not the OA visa which itself presumably expired some time ago).

And he would have needed to visit Immigration every 90 days following his move here under his OA visa in order to file address reports there in any event.

But the request for a marriage certificate does seem at first sight to be puzzling, I agree. The OP has not indicated what, if any, address evidence he was required to provide with his application, but, if it was his wife's blue tabien house book, then the marriage certificate would presumably have enabled Immigration to join up the dots.

Edited by OJAS

Yes, the marriage certificate was something that I did not show them the first day because I had never heard of showing it for a retirement extension. I did have it with me and could have showed it if they had asked on the first day.

They know my address information already. They had allowed me to have a certificate of residence in order to get my Thai DL only one month before this happened.

Since it is a very small office and I go there at least every 90 days, we are somewhat used to seeing each other and are not strangers when we meet. Very friendly service every time I have been there in the past.

I would like to know if I can get a long-stay visa on the basis of retirement in Lao by showing the statement of monthly income that I got from my embassy.

All you can get in Laos is a single entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over. You can only get a OA long stay visa in the US.

You can get a single or multiple entry non-o visa based upon your marriage to a Thai in Savannakhet. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card.

I suggest you talk to immigration about doing the 60 day extension to visit your wife. They may do it without your wife being present. You will need the same documents i mentioned for the non-o.

I suggest you transfer 65k baht into your bank account for 2 or 3 months and then try to apply for the one year extension of stay again. You can use your income affidavit from the embassy for 6 months from the date is was done.

The Thai wife is in the US right now and will not be returning before I need to get my new visa. So there is no long-stay option available to me without returning to the US for another O-A visa?

Has anyone utilized the services of one of the "help you get your visa" companies? If so, were they able to help? I have everything to meet the requirements of a retirement extension, except at the Bueng Kan office, where they are wanting me to show transfers of at least 65K per month into Thailand. Previous to my recent experience, I did not know that 65K monthly transfers had become a requirement, at least in Bueng Kan.

The Thai wife is in the US right now and will not be returning before I need to get my new visa. So there is no long-stay option available to me without returning to the US for another O-A visa?

Has anyone utilized the services of one of the "help you get your visa" companies? If so, were they able to help? I have everything to meet the requirements of a retirement extension, except at the Bueng Kan office, where they are wanting me to show transfers of at least 65K per month into Thailand. Previous to my recent experience, I did not know that 65K monthly transfers had become a requirement, at least in Bueng Kan.

You ca get a multi entry non-imm 'O' visa in Savannakhet, Laos. No financial proof is required.

Paz, I had heard that it was being done for visas on the basis of a Thai wife in Savannakhet, but as I stated previously, the wife is not in Thailand right now and I only have unsigned copies of her house book and ID card, so I am unsure that would work for me.

You wife does not need to be here to get a non-o visa based upon marriage. You just need copies of her ID and house book signed and dated by her. She could send the copies to you by international EMS and you would have them in less than a week.

A multiple entry visa requires you to leave every 90 days.

Getting at least a single entry visa would give time to do a few transfers into your bank account instead of showing stacks of ATM receipts and/or a US bank account statement. You may not have to show the full 65K baht coming in. Then try for the extension again.

Once you have the signed copies you might be able to get a 60 day extension at immigration.

You ca get a multi entry non-imm 'O' visa in Savannakhet, Laos. No financial proof is required.

Can you do a non-immi O visa,based on retirement in Savannakhet.

You can only get a single entry non-o for being 50 or over there. You would need to show proof of 800k baht in the bank.

Would an Embassy letter confirming minimum monthly income of 65k do the trick at Savannakhet as an alternative to 800k in the bank?

You can only get a single entry non-o for being 50 or over there. You would need to show proof of 800k baht in the bank.

Would an Embassy letter confirming minimum monthly income of 65k do the trick at Savannakhet as an alternative to 800k in the bank?

I have seen mixed reports for Savannakhet. The most recent was that they would not accept an income letter.

Vientiane will accept a copy of an income letter after showing them the original.

Stories like this remind me again and again that the proof of income requirements has become so ridiculous I recommend anyone - if they are able - to just go the money in the bank option. Of course, then immigration will still want to interrogate you and try to find another reason to refuse the extension request, but it's a lot less paperwork and running around.

Stories like this remind me again and again that the proof of income requirements has become so ridiculous I recommend anyone - if they are able - to just go the money in the bank option. Of course, then immigration will still want to interrogate you and try to find another reason to refuse the extension request, but it's a lot less paperwork and running around.

Not everyone wants to risk that kind of money in a Thai Bank. If something happens hard as hell to return it to your home country. Besides one report from a small immigration office in the sticks doesn't make it a problem for others. What you have here is one office making up the rules as they go along.

• Like 2

I would be interested in hearing about any difficulties experienced at the Nakhon Phanom immigration office. I could rent a house there. It's only a 15 minute drive from my house here in Bueng Kan province to a small town in Nakhon Phanom province. I would rather not abandon this area completely. We have owned this house for 20 years and I have some friends here that I would miss.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It seems they have taken the same position that Nong Kai immigration has taken that your money must be transferred to a Thai bank.
The best bank for you would be Bangkok Bank because you can have ACH transfers done to your account via their New York branch. If you are getting social security you can have your payments direct deposited to your account also.
Info here: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/TransferringIntoThailand/ReceivingFundsfromUSA/Pages/ReceivingFundsfromUSA.aspx
If you are married to a Thai you could get a 60 day extension to visit her that would give your more time to get things sorted out. You could also go to Savannakhet and get a single entry non-o visa.

You most onley show a paper from your ambassy, minimum 800.000Tbh incom/year.
Meby you live in wrong aria, som of the I _ M är stupid Si Racha in Chon Buri to

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

This is why I and I think many retirees use the 800,000 in the bank. As much as they might like to, they just cannot refute that income qualification.

It sounds to me like the "big boss" at your immigration office has a burr up his butt about falang or he is trying to show his power by puffing up his chest to show you who is boss or as someone else said he is looking for a bribe. Unfortunately, in Thailand they can get away with this especially in an office where they see very few falang. It might be worth complaining to the NCPO.

If you can afford it, your best bet, to avoid this crap in the future, is to move 800,000 into your bank 3 months prior to your extension renewal.

And as UbonJoe said you can setup a BKK Bank account. Since they are the only bank in Thailand with a branch in America (NYC) you can transfer money from your American bank to the BKK Branch in NYC into your BKK account. This is how you should go about getting your money anyway. Personally I do electronic wire transfers and keep my account at 800,000 for 3 months prior. Taking it out of an ATM with all the associated fees is not very practical if I understand you correctly.

• Like 1

It isn't. I do a transfer of £10k to my BKK FCD account when I need it not otherwise. However, Amnat Charoen do not generally make up the rules as they go along. I do show the Embassy the receipts from my house Letting agent in the UK and also bank statements covering the relevant period so there is no question about the validity. Have never been ask at 4 different Imm offices, Pattaya, Korat, Mukdahan an currently Amnat, for a Retirement extension for a marriage cert, bank book, etc., etc. As others have said move looks in order and Mukdahan is on the river too.

Best of luck.