Are all laptops in Thailand overpriced?

Cheesekraft

in my experience compared to the uk, absolutely. it's the same for photographic equipment. there is just not the high street store/internet competition here and i believe high import duty.

on the other hand mobile phones and tvs seem a little cheaper so... what do i know?!

• Like 1

In Holland there are several online price lists making it very easy to find our which stores (both online and real life) sell a certain product, including price and stock information. Certain websites also couple shop ratings based on customer experience thus making it almost too easy to find cheap devices at reliable businesses.

These price lists have been around for over a decade and of course contribute to low average prices. This concept has yet to emerge in this part of the world. It's even fairly impossible to just shop online in countries such as Thailand let alone find a decent shop, in English, with good prices. Plus I would never buy a laptop here because I really don't like those Thai keyboards but that's only a personal thing.

Yes I agree that prices in Thailand are too high for most IT related products. That and limited or often no availability sometimes makes it hard to buy what I want here. For example, I roamed half the city of Bangkok to find a Samsung Galaxy Pad Pro tablet, but all they have everywhere in the country it seems is the more expensive Note Pro series. And try finding a matching click-on Logitech keyboard for it. Mission impossible. All they have are ipad keyboards, even in the big stores.

My guess it that the market here simply is way less developed than in western countries. Less diversity, and high tech still seems to be part of the social status so it's ok if it's expensive, whereas in the west it's more a utility thing now, for the masses.

For the most part I think laptops are generally more expensive here, but not always. I recently bought a well-configured Thinkpad in Thailand and saved hundreds over prices I saw at Newegg, the Lenovo website and a few other sites. I've had friends and family bring laptops over for me before, but the last two laptops I bought (both Thinkpads), were hundreds of dollars cheaper here in Thailand the way they were configured.

I think it depends on the brand and model. Most are probably cheaper in the States, especially if they're on sale there, but sometimes they are well priced here as well.

Edited by gjoo888

Yes but cables and mouses also tend to be of considerable lower quality. I threw away several usb extension cords and LAN cables simply because they were broken, some of them even new from the package. I'd rather pay double and never having to replace again to save the time and the trouble. Plus otherwise it's just a waste of resources. But again, cheap stuff that breaks easily and is replaced easily is what the Thai wants.

Edited by AgentSmith
  • Like 2

If you buy online and dont pay import tax and vat on it, it will be cheaper. If you however have to pay both online shopping may not be that cheap. If you want to buy items on line that dont ship here get Shipito which will solve your problem. As to everything is cheaper in the UK than here is well lets put it mildly a stretch. All UK products thats imported will be more expensive, but can you live on £ 1000 in the UK but here you can if you want to.

Quite similar, and anyway what is a 10% difference ?

The big thing now is that outside Mac it is impossible to find a good small lighweither powerful ultrabook.

All manbufacturers focus on shiite touchscren laptops or tablet laptops and it's impossible to find a very good one WITH A SMALL SCREEN even for 50000+

• Like 1

Many of these comments seem very odd.

I buy a lot of tech stuff here and the prices are fair and reasonable.

If you try to buy cheap, then that's what you'll get. Buy a Windows device from a dodgy source, you'll get a dodgy product with dodgy software.

It's not really difficult, my fine fellows.

Is it me, or do I just have a slightly more realistic view than some of you?

You are right, we also buy at least 10 computers a year for office and it is of course not worth buying abroad (even if we could because we often have staff going to US or EU).

Importing computers to here (from the States) is not always that easy because of the U.S. govt's rules on technology.....

Has nothing to do with buying computers....any computer equipment you purchase feom the US came from Asia anyways

I think it was more to with what was (might be) installed on it.

All branded consumer electronics are more expensive in Thailand by about 10 to 25% except for brand new products that were just launched.

That's just the way it is.

I usually shop abroad.

P.S.

never had a problem with software sold in Thailand by a proper shop (JIB, InvadeIT, ...)

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

Yes laptops cost lots more than in USA. But you should look at guitar prices: about 50% more. Let's not even mention autos..... On the other hand, toothpaste is far far cheaper here, for same brand and flavor. Got to take good with the not so good.

Many of these comments seem very odd.

I buy a lot of tech stuff here and the prices are fair and reasonable.

If you try to buy cheap, then that's what you'll get. Buy a Windows device from a dodgy source, you'll get a dodgy product with dodgy software.

It's not really difficult, my fine fellows.

Is it me, or do I just have a slightly more realistic view than some of you?

I guess it all depends on what you have as a reference. Identical products are often quite a bit more expensive here than in Europe. And warranty is usually of way less quality, with often only 1 year limited manufacturer's warranty. This is not a complaint really. It is what it is.

Everything is overpriced in Thailand now. I used to buy nearly everything there and bring the stuff back to the States. Now I buy everything in the States and carry it to The Land of Snarls. For the past 5+ years we've had a saying...if you want to pay double, come to Thailand.

• Like 1

I find prices to be about the same. I buy things on sale at PowerBuy usually. Sometimes they have computers on sale but not advertised there as well. You have to ask.

I was in America in September when the laptop I had with me stopped working (it was the HD). I stopped at Frys in California and bought a 4Gb ram 500 Gb HD, 15 inch Toshiba for about $250. No CD player and you couldn't upgrade the RAM. It's a cheap laptop. The only thing bad about the computer was the evil Windows 8.1 OS. 20 years of computer experience and I just gave up on trying to figure it out. It works fine as a media center with Classic Shell. A little add-on that makes it work like Windows 7. I don't understand what Microsoft was thinking. Hopefully Windows 10 will be better.

In general I find they're a little more expensive. I recently built my own desktop computer, and the individual parts were probably 10-20% more expensive than if I'd bought them in the US or the UK. As many have said, the major difference between buying a laptop at, say, Tesco or JIB or whatever compared to back home is that you'll very rarely get an OS included in the price. If you're not willing or able to install a bootleg copy of windows, that can really jack up the price.