Has the Russian financial crisis led to fewer Russian tourists in Pattaya?

Card

From what I see in Pattaya and Jomtien, the Russian population all eat either in central festival food hall, Jomtien night market, and Pratumnak park. One sees lots of Russians carrying their take aways back to their rooms too. I suppose living / holidaying this way they manage ok. I think that future reservations a re going to be very bleak though. It's an awful situation that none of us would like to be in, true? Friends in Phuket have told me there are far less Russians there too. Though I beleive that it's not only Russians that are missing here, there's much less Europeans too.

The funny twist being that a lot of these 'missing Europeans' stopped going to Phuket because they were fed up with the Russians, and I need not go into details, they've been described ad nauseam on this Forum.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 2

My wife is Russian, she confirms that even with a devaluated Rouble, most things are still cheaper in Thailand. BUT...she explained me many cancellations are because even booked before crisis, travel agencies demand extra money to compensate devaluation.

• Like 2

My wife is Russian, she confirms that even with a devaluated Rouble, most things are still cheaper in Thailand. BUT...she explained me many cancellations are because even booked before crisis, travel agencies demand extra money to compensate devaluation.

At last a good explanation from someone who seems to know what they are talking about.

Hey, ill take the Ruskies over the Chinese any day!!!

Me too. In fact, I have always found Russians quite normal in their behaviour - even moving to let other people sit down in the red taxis. They come across as quite family orientated rather than the lonely and desperate sex and drink fiends that inhabit the place. They are often quite good looking and well dressed too, apart from the flowery dresses of the women and the shorty panties of the men. But hey, look at how many of the westerners dress! I haven't had any issues with them at all, so far at least, except maybe their numbers!

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

At last a good explanation from someone who seems to know what they are talking about.

So, sounds exactly like the financial crisis in Russia has led to fewer Russian tourists.

who knew..

So, sounds exactly like the financial crisis in Russia has led to fewer Russian tourists.

who knew..

And yet, it goes against the grain of your previous trivial answer by explaining why those who paid before the Russian crisis still haven't turned up, despite the prices in Thailand still being cheaper than in Russia, in spite your ill informed opinion on this matter..

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

I think the real picture will be seen after the end of Russian holiday season i.e second half of January. Many charter flights will be cancelled thereafter. At the moment the charters are running with only a few reductions. By nature Russians love to party and celebrate, the New Year in particular, no matter what it costs. Russian Christmas is also 2 weeks later than in the Western World. After the holiday season, reality will bite. Certainly there are many wealthy Russians who have investments outside Russia and don't depend on the rouble. On the other hand almost all the package tourists to Pattaya and even many of those, who have bought a condo here, depend on income from Russia. The future of the property and tourism sectors of Pattaya does not look good at the moment.

• Like 2

who knew..

And yet, it goes against the grain of your previous trivial answer by explaining why those who paid before the Russian crisis still haven't turned up, despite the prices in Thailand still being cheaper than in Russia, in spite your ill informed opinion on this matter..

If instead of spouting off your dull rejoinder you had taken the time to read what I said you'd have realised by now that the Russian financial crisis started over 1 year ago..

It appears to me that it is you that's holding on to your "ill informed opinion" - if you believe that the cost of living in russia is over 100% more than the COL of in Thailand, you are either misinformed, an idiot, or both..

What Luk ThaiVisa says is exactly convergent with what I said form the outset. A worsening Rouble has led to fewer Ruskies.

And as I said in my first response : Obvious answer is obvious - except maybe to the dimwitted..

KthnxBye.

If instead of spouting off your dull rejoinder you had taken the time to read what I said you'd have realised by now that the Russian financial crisis started over 1 year ago..

It appears to me that it is you that's holding on to your "ill informed opinion" - if you believe that the cost of living in russia is over 100% more than the COL of in Thailand, you are either misinformed, an idiot, or both..

What Luk ThaiVisa says is exactly convergent with what I said form the outset. A worsening Rouble has led to fewer Ruskies.

And as I said in my first response : Obvious answer is obvious - except maybe to the dimwitted..

KthnxBye.

And you are clearly wrong in your assumptions.

KthnxBye.

clap2.gif

feel free to point out where I was wrong..

KthnxBye.

clap2.gif

feel free to point out where I was wrong..

Feel free to re-read all my posts on this subject and you will find the answers you crave.

It sure has. Tukom not 50% of people from last year. Shop-owners tell me business terribly bad. Just check latestay.com or similar. Plenty of vacancy in many hotels.....MS>

You still believe show / business owners anywhere in the world ?

They all are liars and I am one of them 1

You talking just Bulls$$t my Girlfried has opend a shop in Phuket in a new place called like Chalong Bazar or so in august 2014 almost opposite the police station beside 7/11 she pays 5000 baht rent per month + eletricity less then 1000 THB only fan.

Until middle of december and all the month before, she did'nt had a turnover of 5000THB or more.

She sells bikinis and other beach accessories in top the bloody cool weather and a lot of rain it's just hopeless.

Back to the subject: I can only talk explicit for Phuket about 5 years ago came the first russians in herds(mass tourists)

They are now not in Thailand, caused the rubel lost about 1/3 compare to the THB in 1 year.

About 4 years ago came a lot of rich russians and paid insane property prices in Phuket and a lot of Farang Expats took the chance and sold to their properties and moved to Krabi etc. and built new houses for about a 1/3 of the money they got.

These expat farangs in Phuket helped a lot to keeping the business running during the low season years ago, nobody filled this gap in 2014.

For me the biggest loss for the economy in 2014 the lack of russian mass tourists.

There are also a big lack of chinese tourists, but sure this is not a question of their currency, caused this got stronger to the THB.

IMO for is for them the coup in mai the main reason and in top all the sams.

Now to the germans as an EU farang example in Europe.

There is Travel info in the internet from the Auswärtiges Amt(german foreign office) for all countries in the world.

Actually for Thailand are a lot of warnings in there about TUK TUK and Taxi Mafia in Phuket, the terror incidents in the South, warning for the regions along the cambodian border. About the increasing crime against tourists(like robberies, rapings etc.) mainly in Pattaya, Phuket and Samui archipel. Also about the jetskis and scooter scams in general. About the deads in the whole Samui archipel not explicite Koh Tao. About the corrupt police who works often with criminal gangs together. Warning about the high accidents rate in general.

All this infos checking the travel insurance companies more risks higher rates to pay for the travel agencies to high risks no insurance, means no travel agency offer travels to thailand in the worst/best case.

These informations is for the insurances like for some religios ppl like the Bible. Quaran or Tora.

http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/00-SiHi/ThailandSicherheit.html

Means for the german mass tourists is Thailand not an option at the moment.

For example:

Vietnam had in the last 11 month a big + of Tourists compare to the same periode in 2013.

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/items/8039

All this adds create a big lack of tourists.

I all the countries around Thailand highly increasing tourism in the same time.

I would like to say som nam na, but I can not, caused this crises will hit a lot of simple thais with small businesses.

I feel sorry for them, caused a lot of them will heading bankrupsy after thise high season, this loss of tourists will not so quick change.

If it cost double $ to be a tourist here would anyone arrive..

Obvious answer is obvious.

Depends on when hotel, flight, tours etc were booked and paid for. It may be long before the crash for peak season bookings. Even at double the price, the rest (food, shopping, booze) would still be cheap here compared to Russia.

The problem it's to far to swim or to walk to arrive in time in Thailand. whistling.gifgiggle.gif

Russians 70% have cancelled their visit to Pattaya.

As above post suggests, Rooble halved in value, therefore double the cost of everything.

Wish they would halve the baht and then I woke up. Darn.

Are you a russian?

You don't having any idea about thai Style business 50% business down, then they will soon double the prices. giggle.gif

In Germany the Travel agencies cover this risks with a curreny insurance I guess the russian agencies are just to greedy to pay for this.

Som nam na.

Hey, ill take the Ruskies over the Chinese any day!!!

I guess the chinese will coming soon over Thailand like a plague of locusts.

1. Their currency got stronger the last 12 month compare to the Thai Baht.

2. Caused of the newly made currency agreement between China and Thailand.

Guys the season is not over this invasion will starts very soon.

I think the real picture will be seen after the end of Russian holiday season i.e second half of January. Many charter flights will be cancelled thereafter. At the moment the charters are running with only a few reductions. By nature Russians love to party and celebrate, the New Year in particular, no matter what it costs. Russian Christmas is also 2 weeks later than in the Western World. After the holiday season, reality will bite. Certainly there are many wealthy Russians who have investments outside Russia and don't depend on the rouble. On the other hand almost all the package tourists to Pattaya and even many of those, who have bought a condo here, depend on income from Russia. The future of the property and tourism sectors of Pattaya does not look good at the moment.

IMO looks good, hopefully this property bubble will bursting soon, not only in Pattaya also in Phuket, Samui in whole Thailand.

I was going to pass on Thailand this winter after reading so many reports about the cops in Bangkok. But starting to reconsider. I have been coming to Thailand the past 15 years or so and know I would miss it if I went somewhere else. Still I don't like the idea of being a target for some cop who wants to supplement his income by harassing me. In all of my years coming to LOS I have never been to Pattaya. So I am thinking about skipping bkk and going directly there. How does Pattaya compare to Bangkok in terms of entertainment and have there been any reports of farangs being harassed by cops there lately? I am assuming this problem is primarily limited to Suk in Bangkok? Thank. you i. appreciate any replies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand