Has the Russian financial crisis led to fewer Russian tourists in Pattaya?

Card

How does Pattaya compare to Bangkok in terms of entertainment and have there been any reports of farangs being harassed by cops there lately?

What sort of entertainment?

I've never heard of tourists being harassed by the police in Pattaya, unless of course they have done something wrong. Farangs on rented motorbikes do seem to be targeted for special attention here but as many of them are breaking some law or another (no helmet, no licence, no insurance) this is not really surprising. Jetskis are to be avoided also.

• Like 2

I was going to pass on Thailand this winter after reading so many reports about the cops in Bangkok. But starting to reconsider. I have been coming to Thailand the past 15 years or so and know I would miss it if I went somewhere else. Still I don't like the idea of being a target for some cop who wants to supplement his income by harassing me. In all of my years coming to LOS I have never been to Pattaya. So I am thinking about skipping bkk and going directly there. How does Pattaya compare to Bangkok in terms of entertainment and have there been any reports of farangs being harassed by cops there lately? I am assuming this problem is primarily limited to Suk in Bangkok? Thank. you i. appreciate any replies.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Pattaya is fine for a holiday but it would be best if you can ride a small bike (legal with license) so you can get around easily.

If you don't like it here you can always jump on a bus and go to BKK.

KittenKong have already highlighted the things to watch out for.

I ride bike here every day and don't get harassed but off-course have everything in order and when checked are sent on my way without paying anything.

• Like 1

Why do people post this stuff as it's human nature. Tough times=less disposable income.

There is a news item on Thaivisa right now about it - maybe you should whinge about it to the editors directly. Alternatively, you could completely stop reading articles about it.

Back here since a week now.. no police "harassment" whatsoever.. hotel less full than usual, many less Russians at pool, which i consider not really negative.. great weather.. enough cold beer.. and all else.. I LOVE IT

Am I hearing right.Russia is getting cheaper to live than in Thailand.You might see more people going there for their vacation.

I would NOT advise it if you are from the west, homosexual, Jewish or a liberal thinker.

Or non-white. Easily the most racist country I've ever visited

I've said it before that I like diversity and Russian types have a kind of exotic appeal here as long as their numbers are reasonable and don't reach a point of demographic DOMINATION which had happened here in high season. I think that was seriously harming the appeal of living and visiting here for non-Russians. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

how many are disappointed that there would be less Russians coming to LOS

Personally I'd rather see less of them here. I find them arrogant and rude, and often see them bullying Thais. We've had personal experiences with Ruskies that resulted in a lot of trouble - not for us, but the idiots that created the situation..

But in the greater scheme of things its already having a big impact on local businesses..

I see the short-fall of Ruskies is being taken up, a bit, by Koreans & Chinese, but these are group tours. Airlines, Hotels, bus companies etc are probably making a killing, but little is trickling down to small businesses.

My GF's business is seeing a massive downturn in takings, dropping by at least 70% year on year. where as last year daily takings where in 8-12k range now they're lucky if they can take 1k.

The Russian money has been drying up since this time last year when the rouble dropped > 10% between Christmas day & early March. The Rouble has been in free fall since early July - Since the Ruskies have been trying to prop-up their currency its gained a few points, but I think that's temporary and it may waver again in the coming weeks.

I see a certain Russian demographic still here in numbers, certainly around Wongamat, - these tend to be the more affluent and mostly more reasonable types. I suspect they either own property here or are dollar rich.

The other types of Russian tourists have stayed away in droves.

This is only the start, just wait until March , and then even Thais who are depending on income from tourists will start to worry , not only Russians btw.

Edited by balo

To summarise, it seems that some of the dog loving gliterati on here seem to think the Russian forex crisis started over a year ago. Actually it didn't start in earnest until July this year. Prior to that the rouble exchange rate was around 32 to the US dollar from at least 2010 until the middle of this year. It is now trading at around 53 after a huge dip to around 72 in mid Dec. As one of our well-informed respondents claims, Russians may well have booked their holidays in the peak season in Thailand before the Forex crisis hit them, but the reason they may not have arrived, despite Thailand remaining a good value for money destination compared to Russia, is that they were surcharged by their tour companies to make up for the poor Rouble/baht exchange rates.

Thanks to most of you for your thoughts and explanations.

What sort of rate do Russians get if they want to transfers sums into a thai bank. The main banks don't seem to quote a TT rate for roubles, just for cash e.g. Kasikorn now 0.39. So if a Russian was buying a condo the money would have to come into a thai bank at 0.39? That must make the affordability even worse.

Edited by chris2004

It sure has. Tukom not 50% of people from last year. Shop-owners tell me business terribly bad. Just check latestay.com or similar. Plenty of vacancy in many hotels.....MS>

You still believe show / business owners anywhere in the world ?

They all are liars and I am one of them 1

Wow.

Thanks for the warning.

I am Russian (not from Moskva) and I hardly can afford rental, but I wanted to stay in PTY three months and not six as usually. My budget was 18.000 THB/month.

Well...most of owner/real estate told me that is not enough and they want to rent six months minimum.

I have found (hard) in PTY for 3 month, and now I am watching these big condos nearly empty without lights.

Better not to get one Baht and keep the apartments empty?

What Pattaya's real estate want from tourist ? I remember one year ago hundreds of Pegasus buses, now only few. Are the apartments owner wait for chinese ? Wait wait and good luck!

• Like 1

Yes, they wait for a wonder aka Chinese biggrin.png

??? 18000 Baht should really buy you something decent?

Where did you look/ask?

On the other hand: be honest. Thais can not compensate a 50% devaluation of currency.

There is no "charity factor".

Yep, thats Thai logic. Same applies to off-season, Discounts? No! We raise the prices, hoping to keep the business volume blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_axVntua

Edited by KhunBENQ

I am Russian (not from Moskva) and I hardly can afford rental, but I wanted to stay in PTY three months and not six as usually. My budget was 18.000 THB/month.

Well...most of owner/real estate told me that is not enough and they want to rent six months minimum.

I have found (hard) in PTY for 3 month, and now I am watching these big condos nearly empty without lights.

What Pattaya's real estate want from tourist ? I remember one year ago hundreds of Pegasus buses, now only few. Are the apartments owner wait for chinese ? Wait wait and good luck!

Mauroest, being Russian, you must have detected a great deal of anti-Russian bias on this forum and probably in Pattaya as well. From my experience of renting out my Pattaya condo, which I have only ever done once in 7 years as I bought it for my own occasional use and can't stand the hassle of renting, Russians are not popular with renters. Many would prefer not to rent to Russians (or Thais for that matter) and lose money than have them stay in their condos. I don't have any experience of them personally so cannot offer an opinion on this matter but what I say is fact and may have contributed to your lack of success in getting the rental you want.

Edited by Card

Mauroest, being Russian, you must have detected a great deal of anti-Russian bias on this forum and probably in Pattaya as well. From my experience of renting out my Pattaya condo, which I have only ever done once in 7 years as I bought it for my own occasional use and can't stand the hassle of re

yes , you are right. Me too I would not rent to russian tourists. I know well the behaviour, but...we are italian/russian married couple, quiet and polite. When I call or write to real estate they do not know about my nationality nor my face look like russian and when I speak face to face with them I am always with my wife. The answers not change...

OT ( you should know that among russian people there are many fighting for different regional cultures) /OT

Yes, they wait for a wonder aka Chinese biggrin.png

??? 18000 Baht should really buy you something decent?

Where did you look/ask?

On the other hand: be honest. Thais can not compensate a 50% devaluation of currency.

There is no "charity factor".

I asked around Wongamat/Naklua area, sea view

Of course, I am not here to ask charity and 50% discount because Putin drives crazy. My salary is in Euro. In my opinion 18000 THB month for one bedroom/ 3 month should be enough. They (owner) want more and keep the condo empty

Simply next winter we will change country

Yes. And it is not just the Russians. Many Germans have decided to stay home this year, due to perceived financial instability in the Eurozone. Other Europeans too. Most Americans still do not have the confidence to take long trips. The US economy is still decimated, despite the false doctrine the White House is putting out. The average person there who is not in the top tier, is hurting. And the coup is still the biggest factor. Worldwide, nobody likes a country run by a general. No matter who he is.

• Like 1

Yes. And it is not just the Russians. Many Germans have decided to stay home this year, due to perceived financial instability in the Eurozone. Other Europeans too. Most Americans still do not have the confidence to take long trips. The US economy is still decimated, despite the false doctrine the White House is putting out. The average person there who is not in the top tier, is hurting. And the coup is still the biggest factor. Worldwide, nobody likes a country run by a general. No matter who he is.

" perceived financial instability in the Eurozone. Other Europeans too."

Coincidentally, I was just a few minutes ago reading the following Russian/ Ukrainian dispute related article which forecasts

" The EU economy will enter into full and deep recession resulting in widespread social unrest "

2014 "End of Year" report and a look into what 2015 might bring

http://vineyardsaker.blogspot.com/2014/12/2014-end-of-year-report-and-look-into.html

Edited by Asiantravel

Anyone that can predict the economic future next year with any accuracy should be trading in Forex

I believe that things will go on as they are, with Russia suffering on two fronts, sanctions and gas production by Fracking in the USA and Europe.

But hey, its all a guess, and I could easily be wrong

• 2 weeks later...

I have business contacts with Russians who I know and trust. One tells me that what we see now is just the tip

of the iceberg - probably the Russians still in town bought package tours before the financial crisis. The next wave

will be a trickle.

Logical.

Exactly as I suggested way back in the messages. In fact I returned last Thursday from a couple of nights in Pattaya and did notice a significant number of Russians, although less than usual.

Just thinking: with all these Russians staying at home and spending their holiday money in Russia, this should mean that the Russian economy will recover quite quickly. No?

Vlad the Bad has recently reduced the tax on vodka, so you are probably right.