A Dampener on Soi 5 Re-Entry

prk888

I have often praised the recent efficiency of the Immigration Office but here's the annual dampener

Arrived at 12-30 a few days ago and waited until 1.00pm as requested. First in line. Re-entry staff dribbled in up to 1-10pm. All took their time and munched on the boxes of fruit left for them. Chats and mobile calls followed as of course visits to the loos.

First process commenced after 1-10pm and my papers were then passed back into subsequent re-entry-processing- phases which appeared to click away methodically

The final phase is a lady who sits on r/h side on the desks (maybe position 2) whose job it seems is to look at all papers (again) after making her many phone calls and then make a small chop on a passport page. Passport then moved to make a pile behind and slightly to her left.

So mine is completed and on the top waiting to go home with me

There it sits until over 30 passports have mounted up behind her and slightly to her left and then and only then does she call a 'gofer' to distribute them to long-suffering, waiting clients. The wait ? ....................... over 1.5 hours after first stage

I now recall exactly the same occurred a year ago for a re-entry.

When I mentioned this to our helpful man Freddy he shrugged and uttered "i know, I know"

Not all sweetness and light at Soi 5 unfortunately

Why don't you just leave the application with them for a while whilst you go for a leisurely lunch, then return with your claim ticket and a smile, I am sure it would be good for your blood pressure, and general stress levels.

Sorry I agree with the first poster. Soi 5 has become a much more efficient place but this woman is a blot on the landscape. I watched my passport sit on her desk whilst she played with her phone. After 20 minutes when she made no move to shift any of the passports, I went and stood near her desk and stared hard. After a couple of minutes she finally began to work.

Why don't you just leave the application with them for a while whilst you go for a leisurely lunch, then return with your claim ticket and a smile, I am sure it would be good for your blood pressure, and general stress levels.

Sorry I agree with the first poster. Soi 5 has become a much more efficient place but this woman is a blot on the landscape. I watched my passport sit on her desk whilst she played with her phone. After 20 minutes when she made no move to shift any of the passports, I went and stood near her desk and stared hard. After a couple of minutes she finally began to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgg20IqibM

Re-entry permits have been a slow process for some years in Jomtien. Since you know that this always happens, at least while that woman is there, I'd just do as fosseway suggests above, go for a snack or a drink or a stroll along the beach for an hour or so.

That little cafe on the right as you walk out onto the street has a pot of tea that gives 2 cups. At 40(45?) Baht. It is a pleasant enough way to spend some time watching the world walk by.

Certainly better than sitting waiting, stressing in the immigration office.

thanks for contributions and a coffee always helps but I wonder how this or a stroll will actually help improve that woman's efficiency, processing time or overall client happiness. I too tried the staring game for a minute or so and eventually got some success. maybe next time I'll get a coffee and then do the staring while drinking & relaxing (or are drinks verboten?)

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWgg20IqibM

Sid...Thanks. That was so so funny.

Not entirely sure of all the facts, but Immigration seem to have now been separated from the Police under whom they were once a division and not everyone is happy with what might be seen as a downgrading of their powers. This could account for some dissatisfactions and disinterest in the job of some officers ? Were any different uniforms noticed ?