Chiang Mai Governor warns traders not to take advantage of tourists

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai Governor warns traders not to take advantage of tourists

CHIANG MAI, 27 December 2014 (NNT) - Mr. Suriya Prasatbuntitya, Governor of Chiang Mai Province, has warned operators of restaurants, shops, entertainment venues and buses in Chiang Mai not to take advantage of tourists as such a practice will send negative impacts to the good image of this age-old city with a high culture and history.

According to the governor, Chiang Mai is the center of tourism in the northern part of Thailand and expected to become a tourism hub of ASEAN.

Therefore, all sectors of the province especially business operators related to tourists should help conserve and maintain their own valuable assets particularly the good characteristics of Chiang Mai people such as kind-heartedness, generosity, politeness, and sweet speaking style to all visitors.

These are the selling point of the city which needs to be maintained, along with the ancient heritages and remains, the Governor said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-27 footer_n.gif

re

CHIANG MAI, 27 December 2014 (NNT) - Mr. Suriya Prasatbuntitya, Governor of Chiang Mai Province, has warned operators of restaurants, shops, entertainment venues and buses in Chiang Mai not to take advantage of tourists as such a practice will send negative impacts to the good image of this age-old city with a high culture and history.

hes joking ... right ?

dave2

post-42592-0-39392800-1419702309_thumb.j

One reason i just avoid Chiang Mai and other tourist areas. Perhaps much of the problem is stupid foreigners tossing money around and not asking the price before they buy something or get a ride. No one is holding a gun to your head. Rarely if ever have any problems in bars, taxis or Thais in general but like i said i just avoid tourist areas. Too many dumb foreigners.

if i see a foreigner in a bar or an English sign i just avoid the place. Guess what ? No problems with getting ripped off.

I remember the karokie iccident in chaing mai the other day.they took advantage of the man or the man was stupid to go in there in the first place.this will be one of many in chiang mai this year with a tourist

One reason i just avoid Chiang Mai and other tourist areas. Perhaps much of the problem is stupid foreigners tossing money around and not asking the price before they buy something or get a ride. No one is holding a gun to your head. Rarely if ever have any problems in bars, taxis or Thais in general but like i said i just avoid tourist areas. Too many dumb foreigners.

I do not think you understand how how blatantly they cheat people. Knowing the price may not be enough. As an example, many years ago in some gogos they would have a sign both inside and outside the bar saying "no cover charge","free show" or similar, and staff would confirm. You then go in, drink and have fun, and when it is time to pay, you were of course charged a fortune, and when you wanted to point to the signs, they would be gone. They could make any variety of that scam if any bar if they wanted, even in a bar with no girls. "Yes sir, your beer is 100 baht, but the chair you sit in is 10,000 baht/hour and you have been here all night" :-)

Jim the Jungle is a fitting place to live, fruit on trees does not need a price tag. However would you not agree a simple solution to all this would be a system where as all vendors display a price tag for all products? Not difficult seeing as all the dumb foreigners come from a country that do just that and know no different. The first time i visited Thailand i crossed a road at a Zebra crossing and nearly got run over. Some things are not the same but should be to avoid confusion and confrontation. This is not a case of trying to change a culture this is simply a no brainer that would assist in the governors lame attempt to justify his statement.

In some of the karaoke bars they do hold a gun to your head.

• Like 2

I find the Governors comments to be most insulting and offensive. He skirted the obvious issue and did not even directly mention the most recent and upsetting incident where 10 Thai men assaulted an individual Farang, simply because he did not want to be scammed out of 30,000 baht. That's almost a thousand US Dollars. <deleted>!? Also, I would say that "not taking advantage of" is not even close to "don't assault and rob" foreigners.

REALLY!! Thais are slowly killing off the goose that lays the golden eggs---tourists. How sad, short sighted, and of course, typical.

How is it "typical"?

Millions come here every year. Millions don't get beat up or scammed.

You need to spend more time in Thailand and less time on the internet.

In some of the karaoke bars they do hold a gun to your head.

Name them.

Or tell us your experience with a gun held to your head.

I find the Governors comments to be most insulting and offensive. He skirted the obvious issue and did not even directly mention the most recent and upsetting incident where 10 Thai men assaulted an individual Farang, simply because he did not want to be scammed out of 30,000 baht. That's almost a thousand US Dollars. <deleted>!? Also, I would say that "not taking advantage of" is not even close to "don't assault and rob" foreigners.

REALLY!! Thais are slowly killing off the goose that lays the golden eggs---tourists. How sad, short sighted, and of course, typical.

How is it "typical"?

Millions come here every year. Millions don't get beat up or scammed.

You need to spend more time in Thailand and less time on the internet.

Mudcrap: Cultural Apologist

A cultural apologist is a person that will defend a culture, no matter how offensive or incorrect, that is not native to himself in any way, shape or form. This he does as a way of lording his pseudo self-importance over others he interacts with. These people tend to think that indigenous people like them better, when in fact, the very opposite is true.

Edited by CMCMANGOMAN
  • Like 1

I am not allowed to go to the markets with my wife as she says that they up the prices if they see a farang with a thai.

Same here...

i still enjoy asking the market person why they charge me more after i show them my goods from the other vendor my gf bought from. and i tell them how much she paid and they lost the sale because they are greedy. then i smile and give them the kiss wave

i always ask how much, then ask if that is same price as thais pay. or just wait and see how much they charge thais and only give them that much money.

more farang should do that

I remember the karokie iccident in chaing mai the other day.they took advantage of the man or the man was stupid to go in there in the first place.this will be one of many in chiang mai this year with a tourist

You call him "stupid" but In the man's defence he was a'tourist" and may have just arrived in the country ,just how was he to know that these are places to be avoided ?

It takes quite a while to experience, or get knowledge, of scams that exist here.

Lets not blame the "victim" blame the gutless officials who do nothing about it.

I personally know many people who have scratched Chiang Mai and Thailand off their future travel plans, there are far too many alternatives.

• Like 1

You call him "stupid" but In the man's defence he was a'tourist" and may have just arrived in the country ,just how was he to know that these are places to be avoided ?

It takes quite a while to experience, or get knowledge, of scams that exist here.

Lets not blame the "victim" blame the gutless officials who do nothing about it.

I personally know many people who have scratched Chiang Mai and Thailand off their future travel plans, there are far too many alternatives.

very true, most who fall as victims are those that have read the material put out by TAT saying Thailand is a warm, loving and friendly place. TAT did use the word "lure" about 6 months ago to get tourists. These clubs lure tourists in also then gut and scale them.

I would love to see more undercover footage of all these scams in Thailand, then watch them go viral. Its the only way any Karaoke bar will get shut down. Just saying they got scammed is not enough.
Big trouble in Thailand - you remember that show?
Thailand tried to ban it then tried to sue the BBC for defamation lol.

We need more of these shows.

• Like 2