Will a new laptop run XP?

HughJass

Install it and find out, it would have been as quick to do that as to wait for replies, that you don't want to hear on here.

Don't use the serial number until you are sure it has all the drivers etc.

But my personal choice would be to run Zorin 9 OS

I've never heard of Zorin 9 OS... I'm downloading it right now and will try it on my laptop... just out of curiosity! thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

Install it and find out, it would have been as quick to do that as to wait for replies, that you don't want to hear on here.

Don't use the serial number until you are sure it has all the drivers etc.

But my personal choice would be to run Zorin 9 OS

I've never heard of Zorin 9 OS... I'm downloading it right now and will try it on my laptop... just out of curiosity! thanks for the idea!

install it and run from a flash drive to see what you think, install guide here - http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2014/07/how-to-replace-your-operating-system.html If you are a Linux person sorry to try and teach you to suck eggs.

Has anyone else noticed that the OP is nowhere to be seen

For what your wanting to do just use a free linux, because a browser is a browser on any os. You won't need anti virus dragging on your os. Or just get a phone for 4800 baht and cast it to your tv set for a larger screen when you need it. The last thing you want to do is run XP anymore on anything for any reason.

i am running XP since it's inception. never had a problem which i couldn't solve. all the negative comments such as "no support, no security, etc." i consider nothing but irrelevant blah-blah.

note to eggsburts who are now eager to comment: "i won't read your comments!"

Thanks Tywais - yes that was it GPT partitioning.

I did not want to reformat the new drive as MBR (should have remembered that, it is my initials) since I lost the use of the special recovery button Lenovo portables have and an implied loss of the warranty.

But after a year of Win 8 I would not mind losing that OS.

But for Naam, I agree about XP - it was an excellent OS but after a bit with Win 7, some tweaks and some third party programs (especially Classic Shell) I like the benefits of 7 and now find XP rather clunky. For example if you rename or move a file in XP and there is a problem you just get a message and the rename is lost, in Win 7 you get a message and a retry option. (PS you can read my comments, I am not an expert.)

Edit - why does my paragraphing disappear? It has only recently started happening. Ah, it came back after the edit.

Edited by briley

avoid Acer at any price i have recently scrapped 2 only 3 year old acer travelmates due to continued unreliablity and mother board problems and the battery life was also pants ,, replaced with lenovo and Asus . i also have a 5 year old totally reliable samsung ....still perfect and battery still giver 5 hours at 5 years amazing !!!

will NEVER buy acer again but yes it will run XP

Absolutely, Acer stuff is utter crap, cheap for a reason. Mine was 35k though so I thought it might be better, barely lasted 3 years and repaired twice.

• Like 1

Guaranteed you will get viruses minutes after using XP.Don't even think about it.Go with windows 8.1

Guaranteed!!!! OMG!!!! Panic!!!!

I've been running XP almost forever and it has not crashed and not caught a virus.

I would be surprised if it had the NSA friendly options built into Win8.

Why anyone would pay for a new o/s when the old one works fine is beyond me.

If XP gets too difficult (drivers) I will upgrade to Linux - I have Lubuntu on another machine but it can be a challenge finding drivers for Linux too.

Another problem - New hard drives are not NTFS or FAT and only windows 8 or later can load onto them. Forget what the term is. You can reset (probably I mean re-format) the whole drive then load win 7 or XP but I wouldn't do that since it also wiped the recover data and voided the warranty. Except I have found win 7 to be a satisfactory replacement for XP but do not like Win 8 at all.

I think what you are refering to is UEFI. UEFI replaces BIOS for booting the computer.

It is not the hard disk. The new computers do not have BIOS anymore.

Guaranteed you will get viruses minutes after using XP.Don't even think about it.Go with windows 8.1

Minutes after using XP. Really? Total BULL.

I have been runing XP on my internet computer for years and never got a virus. But I run a firewall and don't open unsolicited emails, nor troll questionable web sites.

I also do regular malware scans.

I can no longer recommend XP because it no longer supports the latest hardware. But there is nothing wrong with the OS if it supports your hardware.

Minutes after using XP. Really? Total BULL.

I have been runing XP on my internet computer for years and never got a virus. But I run a firewall and don't open unsolicited emails, nor troll questionable web sites.

I also do regular malware scans.

I can no longer recommend XP because it no longer supports the latest hardware. But there is nothing wrong with the OS if it supports your hardware.

Probability is that you will get done eventually, it's too much of a target and will never get patched. Most likely a new worm will do it.

I got a hijack virus within 10 minutes of starting up my new laptop with windows 8.1.

(loading google chrome)

Then a week later lost all my data in the famous Windows 8.1 Automatic Repair loop.

Only had the thing 2 weeks.

Not to mention it's a single language version, so can't flip the display language from Thai to English easily.

(Official MS Single language Windows 8.1 + Bing, provided with my laptop)

Not liking windows 8.1!

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Guaranteed!!!! OMG!!!! Panic!!!!

I've been running XP almost forever and it has not crashed and not caught a virus.

I would be surprised if it had the NSA friendly options built into Win8.

Why anyone would pay for a new o/s when the old one works fine is beyond me.

If XP gets too difficult (drivers) I will upgrade to Linux - I have Lubuntu on another machine but it can be a challenge finding drivers for Linux too.

Lubuntu works great for me. It is my default OpSys. Windows 7 is my backup/playtoy. If I want to just play and fiddle, I use Windows 7.....if I want infallible, quick, secure internet (using less power) I use Lubuntu. I Keep Linux lucid puppy on a thumbdrive and can put that into ram, if all else fails. Also can leave my laptop at home, grab my lucid puppy thumbdrive, fly back to the usa, plug it in and boot up my laptop there...... The screen and programs and files are all on it. No worry about theft, or seizure by nosy custom boys in Seattle. My thumbdrive is about the size of a medium sized clitoris..lol.

I got a hijack virus within 10 minutes of starting up my new laptop with windows 8.1.

(loading google chrome)

Then a week later lost all my data in the famous Windows 8.1 Automatic Repair loop.

Not to mention it's a single language version, so can't flip the display language from Thai to English easily.

Not liking windows 8.1!

+ 1. I had the problem that the Ass director of my school (of course assistant!) gave me a new PC with a shitty copy of Windows 8.1 on it. Of course all in Thai.

I did find a way to make the little witchy and bitchy thing genuine to receive updates and put Classic Shell on, which is pretty much similar to Windows 7.

But this 8.1 is such a pain in the ass. An English learning program on a simple CD can't be installed on this freaking machine. I've tried safe mode and many other things.

It just doesn't work to install the program, which works on all other versions of Windows.or a Maggie. I was even asking my dog, please feel free to see what she thought about windows 8.1

post-158336-0-37521200-1419854562_thumb.

post-158336-0-86752100-1419854590_thumb.

post-158336-0-81426100-1419854620_thumb.

post-158336-0-66445000-1419854689_thumb.

(loading google chrome)

Not liking windows 8.1!

+ 1. I had the problem that the Ass director of my school (of course assistant!) gave me a new PC with a shitty copy of Windows 8.1 on it. Of course all in Thai.

I did find a way to make the little witchy and bitchy thing genuine to receive updates and put Classic Shell on, which is pretty much similar to Windows 7.

But this 8.1 is such a pain in the ass. An English learning program on a simple CD can't be installed on this freaking machine. I've tried safe mode and many other things.

It just doesn't work to install the program, which works on all other versions of Windows.or a Maggie. I was even asking my dog, please feel free to see what she thought about windows 8.1

Copy the files off the CD and run the .exe in Compatibility Mode.

Why don't you take control and install genuine Windows 7 to it?