Do I need proof of onward travel

Hi I have a question!

A friend has booked me on a flight to Bangkok on the 3rd of January with China airlines. I have a 60 day tourist visa already which I got from the Thai consulate in Liverpool uk. I'm not sure how long I will be staying with my friend in Thailand. It could be longer than 60 days as we will be visiting a few places or it could be less. So I really don't want to book an onward flight until I know a date I will be leaving. Do I need proof of a flight or date I will be leaving Thailand in order to travel there. I don't really want to book a flight then cancel if I will be staying longer, should I book a outward bound flight or wait. Can anyone advise me please I have also Hurd some airlines may will refuse travel if I don't have proof of an outward flight???

Thanks in advance of any advice

Edited by karl4110

If you have a current, valid Visa for entry into Thailand, no proof of onward travel is required.

If, per chance, you may get an inexperienced check-in Staff, and it does happen, don't accept what is being said, stand your ground and ask to see their Manager.

As I say it's only a 60 day tourist visa but I could do without having to book a flight out cancel it loses the cost of the flight then re book for a date I know I will be going home! Anyway thanks for that matey I appreciate the reply

Off-topic I know, but you said you got your tourist visa in Liverpool, but you're booked to fly with China Airlines (CAL) to Bangkok.

So I was assuming you must live in the UK. But China Airlines doesn't fly there so you'll either have to fly from Amsterdam, or from Frankfurt.

If it's from Amsterdam, you should be aware that CAL uses an antiquated A340-333 on that route and there's a giant size IFE box under every window seat. It makes for a really cramped journey with hardly any legroom to speak of, so if you're a tall guy pick an aisle seat if you can.

If you're flying from Frankfurt, then you're lucky since CAL uses their refurbished 747s on that route.

Edited by Xircal

CAL A340-300, first delivery April 2001, last delivery July 2003

CAL B747-400, oldest delivered May 1997, newest April 2005.

It all depends on when the cabins were last refurbished !

Their 747 fleet refurbishment began in October 2011 and completed this year: http://www.china-airlines.com/en/newsen/newsen000799.htm

As for the clapped out A340 fleet, they're getting rid of them slowly and replacing them with Boeing 777-300s. When I checked for a flight with them in June though, the A340 was still listed as the aircraft type unfortunately.

If you have a current, valid Visa for entry into Thailand, no proof of onward travel is required.

If, per chance, you may get an inexperienced check-in Staff, and it does happen, don't accept what is being said, stand your ground and ask to see their Manager.

I experienced this when I was leaving Canada once. The person behind the desk could not understand that I would be staying for 3 weeks but received a 30 day visa on arrival with a British passport.

Why do they let these people interface with the public?

I experienced this when I was leaving Canada once. The person behind the desk could not understand that I would be staying for 3 weeks but received a 30 day visa on arrival with a British passport.

Why do people on here claim they'll get a visa on arrival when that is not what they get?

Why do people on here claim they'll get a visa on arrival when that is not what they get?

Mate, it's easy to understand the confusion.

There is a 'Visa on Arrival'

thailand_visa_on_arrival.jpg

With our Passports, assuredly not, but for some nations there are.

Here is one image from Swampy ... but it opens to large to share.

Just click the link ... Here

If you don't have a visa and are expecting to get a visa exemption on arrival you must have a flight out within 30 days or they may not let you board (although most airlines seem happy with a flight out within a reasonable time).

• Like 1

It is still wrong to call a visa exempt entry a visa on arrival.

I wonder how many people have lined up in the VOA line only to find out that they did not need to be there because they were eligible to get a visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

Well right now I don't have a return ticket as I don't know when I will be going back! Plus I may need to stay longer I already have a 60 tourist visa and I leave on the 3rd I'm not happy to buy a ticket I will never use or will need to cancel because I don't know how long I will need to stay it's just a waist of money

Well right now I don't have a return ticket as I don't know when I will be going back! Plus I may need to stay longer I already have a 60 tourist visa and I leave on the 3rd I'm not happy to buy a ticket I will never use or will need to cancel because I don't know how long I will need to stay it's just a waist of money

With a visa you do not need an onward or return ticket.