Retirement Visa questions...

Hi All

Firstly apologies I am sure the questions I am asking have been asked and answered many many times before but here goes anyway.

I have just arrived in Thailand (living in Bangkok) on a retirement visa.

1. I have to report every 90 days - can someone tell me where and what paperwork I need to provide?

2. When i come to renew my visa at the end of the 1 year what do I require? (yes it is a long way off but forewarned is forearmed).

Many thanks :)

if you have a multiple entry OA visa you can get almost 2 years of stay without needing to do an extension. You can get another one year entry just before the enter before date on your visa and get a re-entry permit for that permit to stay.

I have a multiple entry visa that expires on the 15 Dec 15.

So do I understand that if I leave Thailand and re-enter just before the expiry date I will automatically get 1 more year?

If the visa says O-A, yes. If it only says "O" it is a different matter.

If you have that multi entry O-A visa you received a one year permitted to stay stamp on last entry (and will get a new such stamp on any new return before expiration of visa on 15 Dec 2015. If you remain in Thailand 90 days you must provide immigration your current address using a TM-47 form either in person, having another do for you (with your passport/permission) or at most locations by registered mail. Period to report is 15 days prior until 7 days after the 90 days. But if done by mail need to be done before the 15 days prior date to allow for any delay.

Yes I have a Non Immigrant O-A Visa with multiple entry.

Would there be any paperwork required or fees to be paid?

No paperwork or fees. With your visa, each and every time you leave and re-enter Thailand - prior to the "enter before" date - you will be stamped in for one year from the day you re-enter. In your case, if you were to leave and re-enter on 14 December 2015, you'll be stamped back in with a permission to stay until 13 December 2016.

During that second year, you'll need to purchase either a single re-entry permit (1000 thb) or a multiple re-entry permit (3800 thb) if you want to leave Thailand.

• Like 1

1. I have to report every 90 days - can someone tell me where and what paperwork I need to provide?

And regardless of what visa or extension you may have, you need to do the 90 day report whenever you are in the country for 90 uninterrupted days at the immigration office that serves your area. If you go out of the country before being here for another 90 continuous days, you can start counting the 90 days again from the day you return to Thailand.

The form you use is the TM.47, which can be found here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/file/17-tm47-form-for-alien-to-notify-of-staying-longer-than-90-days/

As a reminder, since some people get confused, if you have a non-imm O-A visa there is a date printed on the sticker when the visa expires. You need to make your last border crossing before that date. You will also have a new stamp from immigrations each time you enter the country while the visa is valid. That also will have a date on it showing when your permission to stay IN THE COUNTRY expires. It's an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand it is not an extension of your visa. That's two different expiry dates you need to watch.

Once the visa expires, you will need a re-entry permit to exit and return to Thailand. The date shown on the hand stamp you get when you enter the country tells you how long you may remain IN THE COUNTRY. That is not a visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this breaks with protocol, but I have some related questions and this string looked very close to my topic. In April, I will apply at the Thai Consulate in Washington, DC for a non-immigrant OA visa for retirement purposes. I've read all this many times, but have a few remaining logistical questions:

1. I will qualify for the retirement extension based on having more than Bt 800,000 in my bank. But at this point, I do not have a Thai bank account. Along with the other required documents, do I take my USA bank statements (properly certified) showing sufficent deposits in the USA for now? Or does that not work for them?

2. With my newly minted 90 day OA visa (with multiple entries), I'll fly to Chiang Mai on July 1, then open a bank account and rent an apartment. I'll then transfer the necessary funds to my Thai bank account. Presuming I use BKK BK, do they have some residency requirment before I open the account? Since immigration requires the funds to be in an account for 2 months, can I get all this done before my 1st 90 day reporting? Or can I report in 90 days, get an extension, then have the proper aging on my account for the 2nd reporting period? I'm just puzzled by this sequence at this stage.

3. Neither my doctor, nor the police station that will do my background check will have a notary on site. Should I arrange for a notary to meet me at these places, or is that not always necessary. Different law enforcement offices produce various forms of such reports, and I've never seen one notarized - just official looking.

Thanks for your input and assistance.

Sorry if this breaks with protocol, but I have some related questions and this string looked very close to my topic. In April, I will apply at the Thai Consulate in Washington, DC for a non-immigrant OA visa for retirement purposes. I've read all this many times, but have a few remaining logistical questions:

1. I will qualify for the retirement extension based on having more than Bt 800,000 in my bank. But at this point, I do not have a Thai bank account. Along with the other required documents, do I take my USA bank statements (properly certified) showing sufficent deposits in the USA for now? Or does that not work for them?

2. With my newly minted 90 day OA visa (with multiple entries), I'll fly to Chiang Mai on July 1, then open a bank account and rent an apartment. I'll then transfer the necessary funds to my Thai bank account. Presuming I use BKK BK, do they have some residency requirment before I open the account? Since immigration requires the funds to be in an account for 2 months, can I get all this done before my 1st 90 day reporting? Or can I report in 90 days, get an extension, then have the proper aging on my account for the 2nd reporting period? I'm just puzzled by this sequence at this stage.

3. Neither my doctor, nor the police station that will do my background check will have a notary on site. Should I arrange for a notary to meet me at these places, or is that not always necessary. Different law enforcement offices produce various forms of such reports, and I've never seen one notarized - just official looking.

1. yes US bank account.

2. with O/A visa you don't need to get an extension of stay for 2 (two) years since you will enter country for the first time. If you want to get an extension of stay rather than O/A visa contact an honorary consul to be issued an non-imm 'O' visa and skip on all the documentation.

3. contact Thai consulate in LA., they may do without notarization anyway.

Edited by paz

Thanks for your input and assistance.

1. Yes.

(a) Your newly minted O-A visa will not be a "90 day" visa. It will be good for one year...which you can (in practice) make last for two years by leaving and re-entering the country just prior to the "enter before date" of the visa. It's multiple entry so during that first year you won't require a re-entry permit to leave/re-enter the country.

(B) I had no problems opening a BKK bank account using hotel address with just a visa exempt stamp. With an O-A visa in hand, you should have no problem.

© The funds do not need to be in your account for two months to do your first 90 day report...you're confusing two different requirements.

(d) You also will not need an extension at your 90 day report...you will not need an extension for at least one year, maybe two years (see above). (There is no funds in account requirement for any 90 day report that I'm aware.)

3. As Ubonjoe stated, you probably won't need the notarization.

• 1 month later...

I just want to ask a question so I am clear in my own mind.......I arrived in Thailand on the 16th Dec 14 so my 90 day report would be no later than 15 March 15.......however I have just returned from a short trip to Cambodia (3 days) does my 90 days start again from the date I returned from Cambodia or does it remain as the 15 March 15 ???

Cheers

Just look at the departure card that should be in your passport. You have 90 days to report after whatever date is stamped.

On a seperate note, I was at Immigration yesterday for my 15th Retirement visa. I have an apartment in Bangkok, but also have a place in Hua Hin. I usually do it in Bangkok, but this time opted for Hua Hin. I was in at 8:45, and out by 9:30. That included the retirement visa and a multiple re-entry stamp. They noticed that my next 90 day report was 5 weeks away, and simply gave me another one with a fresh 90 days. I was amazed by how smoothely it went. Kudos to them.

1. That would mean getting a OA visa. That requires getting a medical and police certificate along with proof of income and/or money in the bank.

Info here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

2. Is not as easy as it once was. The only immigration office that can do the conversion is Bangkok and it takes two trips 15 days apart to do it. Unless you will be living in or near Bangkok it is not a viable option now.

If you can get a single entry non-o visa in you home country that is the best option.

3.You can get an non-o visa at most nearby embassies and consulates if 2 is not viable and you cannot get one before traveling.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe, I haven't lived in my home country (UK) for the best part of 8 years & Singapore no longer provides Police Clearance Certificates to non-citizens so will struggle to get one here.

Sounds like the best way is to apply in another country, any recommendations for the best ones to try (nb I'm 11 months away from turning 50 but looking to arrange things so once I am 50 I can sort out the retirement visa as easily as possible... No problem meeting the 800k financial requirements & no intentions of working there).

Edited by JB300

Thanks Joe, I haven't lived in my home country (UK) for the best part of 8 years & Singapore no longer provides Police Clearance Certificates so will struggle to get one here.

Where you lived doesn't matter. Thai consulate in London wants to see an UK police record, notarized, that's all.

• Like 1

Thanks Paz, I'd assumed they would want to see a certificate of good conduct for the preceding X years (obviously the fact that I haven't been kicked out of Singapore is proof that I haven't been in trouble with the police here) & a couple of Brit friends are having a problem with this as they're looking to emigrate to Australia (will advise them to apply for a clearance cert in the UK[emoji106])

Edited by JB300

Thanks Paz, I'd assumed they would want to see a certificate of good conduct for the preceding X years (obviously the fact that I haven't been kicked out of Singapore is proof that I haven't been in trouble with the police here) & a couple of Brit friends are having a problem with this as they're looking to emigrate to Australia (will advise them to apply for a clearance cert in the UK[emoji106])

A police check would only be required if you were applying for an "OA" visa from the Royal Thai Embassy in London. Not needed for "O" visa applications from anywhere - in this part of the world the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane in PDR Laos would appear to be a particularly good place to obtain an "O" visa on the grounds of being over 50 from, according to recent reports on here. The Royal Thai Embassy in Singapore (where I assume you are living at present and will continue to do so until you turn 50) is not such a good bet for "O" visas, I gather.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1. That would mean getting a OA visa. That requires getting a medical and police certificate along with proof of income and/or money in the bank.

Info here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

2. Is not as easy as it once was. The only immigration office that can do the conversion is Bangkok and it takes two trips 15 days apart to do it. Unless you will be living in or near Bangkok it is not a viable option now.

If you can get a single entry non-o visa in you home country that is the best option.

3.You can get an non-o visa at most nearby embassies and consulates if 2 is not viable and you cannot get one before traveling.

Hi ubonjoe,

Do you have a link showing which documents are needed in option 2?

Thanks for your patience on this done to death subject.

Hi ubonjoe,

Do you have a link showing which documents are needed in option 2?

Thanks for your patience on this done to death subject.

If you are on a visa exempt entry your need a completed TM87 visa application form with an attached photo. If on a tourist visa you use TM86 change of visa status form. You need at least 15 days remaining on your entry when you apply.

You need proof of 800k baht in the bank by way of a letter from the bank confirming the balance and of it coming from abroad or proof of 65k baht income from your embassy or both showing a total of 800k baht.

Copies of passport photo page, visa (tourist only), entry/permit to stay stamp and TM6 departure card.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just look at the departure card that should be in your passport. You have 90 days to report after whatever date is stamped.

On a seperate note, I was at Immigration yesterday for my 15th Retirement visa. I have an apartment in Bangkok, but also have a place in Hua Hin. I usually do it in Bangkok, but this time opted for Hua Hin. I was in at 8:45, and out by 9:30. That included the retirement visa and a multiple re-entry stamp. They noticed that my next 90 day report was 5 weeks away, and simply gave me another one with a fresh 90 days. I was amazed by how smoothely it went. Kudos to them.

It starts again from the day you returned.

Thanks guys....so potentially if I went on visits out of country every couple of months I would never have to report???.......just wait till my retirement visa runs out and apply again........

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It starts again from the day you returned.

Thanks guys....so potentially if I went on visits out of country every couple of months I would never have to report???.......just wait till my retirement visa runs out and apply again........

If you are never here for more than 90 consecutive days you do not have to do a report.