Failed expats and the lies they tell others and themselves as to why ...

Jingthing

Yes wife is Thai and has land. We live in Ameica. I told her I want to farm and live off land. It's what my recent ancestors did.

Good, that should help with the initial hurdles! It will be an adventure and I wish you the best of luck!!

My wife (farang) and I have gotten a great deal of enjoyment out of a little de-evolution... We grow many fruits and veg, do all our own baking, cook (mostly) all our own farang meals (for Thai its just too easy, cheap and tasty to go out for take-away!) and we have chickens, goose and goats... maybe cows next! 5000 baht diners for two at a good restaurant are now a real treat rather than another mundane meal, although some of our home-cooked experiments are better than the chefs seem to put out!

• Like 1

For me life in Thailand proved itself a lot different than I thought it would be. The people that I thought were kind hearted (the “Land of Smiles”) in reality more than not revealed themselves to be con artist and jealous thieves. I never dreamed I was moving to such a raciest country, in the US the pigment level in an individual’s skin is more or less meaningless, [yeah really? try telling that to Michael Brown and those protesting the fallout of the court decision regarding Ferguson] I find the Thai’s preoccupation with skin color revolting.

The environment in Thailand is filthy and reflects its people’s attitude; they are a lethargic group, most sleeping over a bowl of rice at there job with little pride in their surroundings. [stereotype much? I'm guessing you live in one of the Farang Ghettos... Where I live most of the locals are hard working, industrious, and community minded.] With garbage every ware and raw sewage running into beaches were people swim the Thai government remains focused on shaking down tourists and residents with various third world scamming techniques, protecting myself as a full time expat and a clean environment is not even governmental concerns. [Why, oh why, would the Thai government be spending its time and money protecting you - a non-citizen?]

The practice of double pricing (stealing) permitted for farang, having to deflect every type of scam imaginable day in and day out. After 8 years I have begun the process of unwinding out of Thailand I will begin to reduce my time in the Kingdom, begin the process of removing my assets which of course will radically reduce the flow of income I disperse into the community. [Ah, here it comes - "They're gonna miss me (my money) when I'm gone... You find the answer to that is, "Not so much"!!]

By far the primary reason why I am removing myself from Thailand is that I just don’t feel welcome; I do not feel like I have a home in Thailand. Personally I speak, read and write their language and I’ve made substantial investments in the community, my economic footprint is easily 20 times that of a typical Thai yet I feel unwelcome and unsupported in Thailand. ["I've spent a boatload of money - why doesn't anyone like or respect me."] It has been made very clear to me I am a guest being tolerated, a person being allowed temporary accommodation, this is not the type of environment I can call home or where I want to spend the next 25 years of my life.

I will keep a little place in Thailand for a few months a year on the beach but I know now it is not the place where I want to retire. I don’t feel I have failed with Thailand, I thought it was something different than it turned out to be and now I have decided to take a different path.

Hard to tell if this is a troll-post or not. Definitely a classic in the genre of 'Thailand Filtered Through the Lens of my Home Culture'!!

[yeah really? try telling that to Michael Brown and those protesting the fallout of the court decision regarding Ferguson] I have no interest in the color of a person’s skin; I engage mentally with people and judge them on their intellectual prowess. I know no one in America that cares either; I’m sure there are people in America that care about such issues but I don’t know any. I believe racism in the US is promoted by the media and the government, a physiological operation, primarily hype, used for destabilization and misdirection. I can’t think of a single American that I know that has any interest in human skin pigmentation, the color of someone’s skin is meaningless. American police may be are out of control but I pay no attention to "Ferguson" or any mainstream media it is IMO a staged controlled fiction. What I’m referring to is the Thai racism not American, the people are fixated on the meaningless preoccupation of having white skin, IMO a complete and total waste of time.

[stereotype much? I'm guessing you live in one of the Farang Ghettos... Where I live most of the locals are hard working, industrious, and community minded.] Do I live in a ghetto? Hardly, however I agree there are some very decent respectable Thai people and to those people I have respect.

[Why, oh why, would the Thai government be spending its time and money protecting you - a non-citizen?] That is why I will be removing myself from Thailand I want a home, not a country were the government cares only about certain people but about all the people equally and treat all individuals equally under the law. I'm finished with the police shakedowns and being looked down on by their government.

[Ah, here it comes - "They're gonna miss me (my money) when I'm gone... You find the answer to that is, "Not so much"!!] I could care less about how my money effects the Thai economy I use it for my needs not theirs. In the "Land of Smiles" I'm an incredibly wealthy person that has lived there for full time for 8 years and was planning to spend the next 25 years paying for goods and services in the Kingdom. I’m not foolish enough to believe that when I’m gone the loss of the disbursement of my wealth into the community will have no effect.

["I've spent a boatload of money - why doesn't anyone like or respect me."] I have not spent a boatload of money in Thailand I made investments and retain there value, I will unwind those investments and take that value along with myself to a place were I feel more comfortable living. I could care less if someone respects me or not it’s meaningless.

Soutpeel, you discribe your Two children as sprogs, I think this says it all about failed ex-patsSorry I am only replying in open forum because QUOTES has been blocked my end

:huh:

Not me I don't have two children, have none in Thailand and my daughter and only child, from the 1st wife is in medical school in the UK

Or are you just another TV half wit, with a chip on their shoulder trying troll people ?

I think he may have been referring to TransAm... his cockney was showing!!!

Thinking about this some more, I remember years ago a bunch of distant relatives of mine migrated from the Soviet Union to the USA. All of them were having a really hard time adjusting. The USA was anything but a dream for them. Some of them stayed, and some of them decided to leave (I'm not even sure if back to USSR or not). What we thought about the ones that left was not at all controversial or ambiguous -- their immigration attempt had FAILED. I don't think much thought was given as to the reasons ... the assumption was pretty much it was just too hard, they weren't happy with it, and they had something better to go to for them now compared to their actual experience in the USA. Same thing as being an expat, non-immigrant? No. But the comparison may be food for though.

Edited by Jingthing

Thinking about this some more, I remember years ago a bunch of distant relatives of mine migrated from the Soviet Union to the USA. All of them were having a really hard time adjusting. The USA was anything but a dream for them. Some of them stayed, and some of them decided to leave (I'm not even sure if back to USSR or not). What we thought about the ones that left was not at all controversial or ambiguous -- their immigration attempt had FAILED. I don't think much thought was given as to the reasons ... the assumption was pretty much it was just too hard, they weren't happy with it, and they had something better to go to for them now compared to their actual experience in the USA. Same thing as being an expat, non-immigrant? No. But the comparison may be food for though.

lol! youre like a dog with a bone aint you. you already admitted you used the wrong word ages ago and here you are comon back to have another go at it using the fact that your whole family is as out of line as you are!! lol

For me life in Thailand proved itself a lot different than I thought it would be. The people that I thought were kind hearted (the “Land of Smiles”) in reality more than not revealed themselves to be con artist and jealous thieves. I never dreamed I was moving to such a raciest country, in the US the pigment level in an individual’s skin is more or less meaningless, I find the Thai’s preoccupation with skin color revolting.

Wow. I'm an American and I find the level of your ignorance/denial/lie rather breathtaking.

"...in the US the Pigment level in an individual's skin is more or less meaningless...?"

I'm speechless, especially in this day and age where issues related to race in the USA have been splattered across the news day after day. Racism is a huge problem in the US, and it goes well beyond police brutality. Have you been living under a rock?

So the rest of your rant related to Thailand pretty much has no credibility as I'm sure you know even less about Thailand than your home country.

Wow, Einstein you’re a gifted analysts. I’m an American and I’m speechless, your level of preoccupation with the color of someone’s skin is rather breathtaking.

Intellectual and mental expertise are the sole determinations I use in the judgments I make regarding individuals, I don’t consider what color their skin happens to be, it is meaningless. Turn off the mainstream news your being programed.

PS. It’s not a rant it is my outlook of why I am dissatisfied with living in Thailand.

lol! youre like a dog with a bone aint you. you already admitted you used the wrong word ages ago and here you are comon back to have another go at it using the fact that your whole family is as out of line as you are!! lol

Uh huh .. and how does that make you feel?

post-37101-0-00572300-1420006807_thumb.j

I never dreamed I was moving to such a raciest country, in the US the pigment level in an individual’s skin is more or less meaningless, ...

Let me guess here, you're a white guy, right? Just a shot in the dark.

Let me guess your a racist? Just a shot in the dark. What does my skin color have to do with anything? Your promoting racism by even asking.

I never dreamed I was moving to such a raciest country, in the US the pigment level in an individual’s skin is more or less meaningless, ...

Let me guess here, you're a white guy, right? Just a shot in the dark.

Let me guess your a racist? Just a shot in the dark. What does my skin color have to do with anything? Your promoting racism by even asking.

not exactly up to date on american current events are ya pal?

Hmmm, a much more levelled post lacking the vitriol of your first post, thanks!

[yeah really? try telling that to Michael Brown and those protesting the fallout of the court decision regarding Ferguson] I have no interest in the color of a person’s skin; I engage mentally with people and judge them on their intellectual prowess. I know no one in America that cares either; I’m sure there are people in America that care about such issues but I don’t know any. I believe racism in the US is promoted by the media and the government, a physiological operation, primarily hype, used for destabilization and misdirection. I can’t think of a single American that I know that has any interest in human skin pigmentation, the color of someone’s skin is meaningless. American police may be are out of control but I pay no attention to "Ferguson" or any mainstream media it is IMO a staged controlled fiction. What I’m referring to is the Thai racism not American, the people are fixated on the meaningless preoccupation of having white skin, IMO a complete and total waste of time.

[stereotype much? I'm guessing you live in one of the Farang Ghettos... Where I live most of the locals are hard working, industrious, and community minded.] Do I live in a ghetto? Hardly. [Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, Sukumvit area?? If yes, you live in a farang ghetto - it is an expression, not a condemnation.] However I agree there are some very decent respectable Thai people and to those people I have respect. [interesting change of tack from your original statement... "Thailand is filthy and reflects its people’s attitude; they are a lethargic group, most sleeping over a bowl of rice at there job with little pride in their surroundings."]

[Why, oh why, would the Thai government be spending its time and money protecting you - a non-citizen?] That is why I will be removing myself from Thailand I want a home, not a country were the government cares only about certain people but about all the people equally and treat all individuals equally under the law. I'm finished with the police shakedowns and being looked down on by their government.

[Ah, here it comes - "They're gonna miss me (my money) when I'm gone... You find the answer to that is, "Not so much"!!] I could care less about how my money effects the Thai economy I use it for my needs not theirs. In the "Land of Smiles" I'm an incredibly wealthy person [Compared to whom? Farmers or average businesspersons or the real Thai wealthy who buy and sell businesses like used cars and holiday in Monaco?] that has lived there for full time for 8 years and was planning to spend the next 25 years paying for goods and services in the Kingdom. I’m not foolish enough to believe that when I’m gone the loss of the disbursement of my wealth into the community will have no effect. [And yet, it will have no effect. Employees will find other jobs, suppliers will get by,and the community will trudge on without you. They may mourn the loss of their golden goose for a short while then poof you're ancient history.]

["I've spent a boatload of money - why doesn't anyone like or respect me."] I have not spent a boatload of money in Thailand I made investments and retain there value, I will unwind those investments and take that value along with myself to a place were I feel more comfortable living. [if you have just "made investments" which can be "unwound" and taken AND have not spent "a boatload of money in Thailand" how large can your "disbursement of wealth into the community be"? Your two statements are diametrically opposed to each other!] I could care less if someone respects me or not it’s meaningless. [Another interesting change in direction. From: "my economic footprint is easily 20 times that of a typical Thai yet I feel unwelcome and unsupported in Thailand." Almost like two different people!]

All I can say is groove-on Robert, I hope your bubble of self-importance doesn't burst!!

Edited by CharlieH

I know two failed expats. One a guy from Pattaya who used to be a man about town but ran out of money or had health problems and was forced home. He still writes to everyone as though he is living in Pattaya (weird delusion).

Another older man started out as a normal poster asking dumb questions and then got dumped from an internet Thai affair and was instantly changed into an anti Thai women and nation authority writing about Thailand although he has never been to the country (weird delusion). He even gives people visa advice although he has never had a visa.

• Like 1

Thinking about this some more, I remember years ago a bunch of distant relatives of mine migrated from the Soviet Union to the USA. All of them were having a really hard time adjusting. The USA was anything but a dream for them. Some of them stayed, and some of them decided to leave (I'm not even sure if back to USSR or not). What we thought about the ones that left was not at all controversial or ambiguous -- their immigration attempt had FAILED.

Hmm - let's say a bunch of your distant relatives decided to go on a group vacay to Disneyland at Xmas time. It was a crappy trip to get there - weather sucked, airports jammed and delayed, obnoxious travellers... Upon arrival they got the "sewer room" to stay in, beets and potatoes for meals, and told they must work as sanitation crew while enjoying the park... Some of your relatives buckled down, accepted their lot, and tried to enjoy the vacay. One group of relatives said fry this shizzle, we've heard of this chill, half baked, community up in Napa let's bounce, and off they went. Another group said this is worse than being home at least I know when I'm being served a poo-poo plater there, let's bounce. Are there any failures here? Or just a group of peeps who decided to try something which wasn't everyones cuppa. If everyone's happy in the end who's the failure?

Well I am off to the beach right now viewers - a gentle breeze and my aging flip flops brought out of retirement for there final tour of duty.And cool tunes from 70 legends " Dollar " ... I guess I would class myself as "Successful " hey viewers....? x

• Like 1

Well, they were failed immigrants, not failed expats. Sorry, could be wrong, but I think if you asked them directly in Russian, it would be like this.

Did you intend to settled permanently in the USA? Yes

Did you settle there permanently? No

So did you succeed or fail in your attempt to permanently settle in the USA? Fail

I know two failed expats. One a guy from Pattaya who used to be a man about town but ran out of money or had health problems and was forced home. He still writes to everyone as though he is living in Pattaya (weird delusion).

Another older man started out as a normal poster asking dumb questions and then got dumped from an internet Thai affair and was instantly changed into an anti Thai women and nation authority writing about Thailand although he has never been to the country (weird delusion). He even gives people visa advice although he has never had a visa.

Second guy is just a loser... not an expat, he never lived here!

Well, they were failed immigrants, not failed expats. Sorry, could be wrong, but I think if you asked them directly in Russian, it would be like this.

So did you succeed or fail in your attempt to permanently settle in the USA? Fail

the answer depended on the wording of your question. give it up pal, your surrender yesterday was at least semi-admirable. your present silly word games are embarrassing.

• Like 1

the answer depended on the wording of your question. give it up pal, your surrender yesterday was at least semi-admirable. your present silly word games are embarrassing.

Hmm. Somehow I don't think your combative response here is really about the topic.

• Like 1

And then what happened? We moved to Winnipeg and Sonya and I got excellent jobs, we sent Ivan and Sophia to the best schools and uni. Ivan's now a proctologist and Sophia is a personal injury lawyer.

Oh yeah? How are your relatives that stayed doing? Well Ilya never got a decent job and Evgina never learned english so she didn't work. Their kids? Well Boris skipped a lot of school and is working for his uncle in the Russian mob, Korinna has a nice boyfriend she calls her daddy and seems to always owe him money and has to do some sort of "tricks" to amuse him...

So, ultimately, did you succeed or fail in your attempt to permanently settle in the USA? The biggest success of our lives. Thank god we didn't stay there!!

Life decisions are not like an eating contest. I attempted to eat 50 hot dogs but I only got through 46, I failed. Success and failure of life decisions can only be judged with the perspective of time.

But of course you know this already...

Edited by mikebike

I know someone here who writes on social media pages as if he is a pathfinder , he also writes about how well he is doing etc.

Over the last year or so he keeps stating that he is going to leave Thailand and set up a business in Vietnam / Cambodia / Bali , changes all the time.

The truth be known he is skint and just scraping by , which is not a bad thing , but he does not want his friends back in the UK to know the truth.

He has been telling the lies for so long now he cannot bear for the truth to come out , so he has to lie to cover his lies.

I sometimes think the real failures are those who continually post anti-Thai posts on here and other sites.

There are quite a few who never post anything positive and will even try to get an anti dig in to a positive topic.

These are the "All Thais are" types who don't appear to have ever been outside their own little bubble.

I wonder if some do stay here or if they just got scammed by their ladyboy on their one visit and are so bitter and twisted they have to take out their bile in any way they can.

Meanwhile, each to his own, my life style would probably not suit most who live in this country nor would I want to live their life.

Some might consider me a failure because my life doesn't conform to their version of good but I still think I am better off here than where I came from.

Life is good, live it your way and don't knock others for doing it their way.

I listened to a guy the other night (yes, propped up at a Bar I was ... drunk.gif ) who said the worst type of guy was a guy who came to Thailand some time ago, refuses to learn the lingo ... but still has a 'Poty Mouth' to all and sundry who disagreed with his/her opinion.

They seem to live in a delusional bubble ... most unlikely they have an (unpaid) partner.

I mean seriously ... how hard is that to find a partner in Thailand ... the Land of Opportunity.

Shiny unhappy people sad.png I think he called them.

I think the only lies he is telling is to the Mirror ... facepalm.gif

Is he a failure? By many standards ... YES ! But that's a bit harsh in my opinion.

Failed Ex-Pat ... I suppose everyone is an individual ... just that some are more individual then others ... rolleyes.gif

For me life in Thailand proved itself a lot different than I thought it would be. The people that I thought were kind hearted (the “Land of Smiles”) in reality more than not revealed themselves to be con artist and jealous thieves. I never dreamed I was moving to such a raciest country, in the US the pigment level in an individual’s skin is more or less meaningless, I find the Thai’s preoccupation with skin color revolting.

Wow. I'm an American and I find the level of your ignorance/denial/lie rather breathtaking.

"...in the US the Pigment level in an individual's skin is more or less meaningless...?"

I'm speechless, especially in this day and age where issues related to race in the USA have been splattered across the news day after day. Racism is a huge problem in the US, and it goes well beyond police brutality. Have you been living under a rock?

So the rest of your rant related to Thailand pretty much has no credibility as I'm sure you know even less about Thailand than your home country.

Wow, Einstein you’re a gifted analysts. I’m an American and I’m speechless, your level of preoccupation with the color of someone’s skin is rather breathtaking.

Intellectual and mental expertise are the sole determinations I use in the judgments I make regarding individuals, I don’t consider what color their skin happens to be, it is meaningless. Turn off the mainstream news your being programed.

PS. It’s not a rant it is my outlook of why I am dissatisfied with living in Thailand.

Now wait a minute, don't try to weasel out of this one. You weren't talking about yourself. You said "in the US the pigment level in an individual’s skin is more or less meaningless." Your words. Obviously, this is not true. I can give you a long list of recent events which indicates that America still has simmering issues regarding race and the "pigment level of someone's skin." Do you deny this? At least stand by your own words, don't be such a coward.

Hmmm, a much more levelled post lacking the vitriol of your first post, thanks!

[stereotype much? I'm guessing you live in one of the Farang Ghettos... Where I live most of the locals are hard working, industrious, and community minded.] Do I live in a ghetto? Hardly. [Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, Sukumvit area?? If yes, you live in a farang ghetto - it is an expression, not a condemnation.] However I agree there are some very decent respectable Thai people and to those people I have respect. [interesting change of tack from your original statement... "Thailand is filthy and reflects its people’s attitude; they are a lethargic group, most sleeping over a bowl of rice at there job with little pride in their surroundings."]

[Ah, here it comes - "They're gonna miss me (my money) when I'm gone... You find the answer to that is, "Not so much"!!] I could care less about how my money effects the Thai economy I use it for my needs not theirs. In the "Land of Smiles" I'm an incredibly wealthy person [Compared to whom? Farmers or average businesspersons or the real Thai wealthy who buy and sell businesses like used cars and holiday in Monaco?] that has lived there for full time for 8 years and was planning to spend the next 25 years paying for goods and services in the Kingdom. I’m not foolish enough to believe that when I’m gone the loss of the disbursement of my wealth into the community will have no effect. [And yet, it will have no effect. Employees will find other jobs, suppliers will get by,and the community will trudge on without you. They may mourn the loss of their golden goose for a short while then poof you're ancient history.]

["I've spent a boatload of money - why doesn't anyone like or respect me."] I have not spent a boatload of money in Thailand I made investments and retain there value, I will unwind those investments and take that value along with myself to a place were I feel more comfortable living. [if you have just "made investments" which can be "unwound" and taken AND have not spent "a boatload of money in Thailand" how large can your "disbursement of wealth into the community be"? Your two statements are diametrically opposed to each other!] I could care less if someone respects me or not it’s meaningless. [Another interesting change in direction. From: "my economic footprint is easily 20 times that of a typical Thai yet I feel unwelcome and unsupported in Thailand." Almost like two different people!]

All I can say is groove-on Robert, I hope your bubble of self-importance doesn't burst!!

Self importance? Groove-on? Is that it? Not much happening with you upstairs currently is there, are you getting fatigued? Your last post at least had some thought behind the response.

World's a small place. I can never stay still. Six months at a time in any one place is enough.

Love getting home to the kids and dogs and garden and wotnot. But I'd be bored out of my mind stuck just in LOS all the time.

• Like 2