Thai editorial: Only the people can choose the PM

webfact

Prime Minister is the leader of the political party which can command a majority in the governing chamber of elected representatives.

What is so difficult to understand about that

Wrong!!! Yingluck wasn't the leader of the party. Samak wasn't the leader of the party etc etc.

Certainly they were FROM the political party but they were not the leader of the party!

Children don't grow up if you rule their lives, sooner or later you have to let go and they have to make their own mistakes in order to learn, as we all did. Sometimes they fight among themselves in order to address their differences but without interference they usually sort it out, if they need help they will ask for it.

This country has never been allowed to get to puberty let alone adulthood.

When I first voted I did as my father did, later on in life I made my own decisions for my own reasons and I learned that even if I disagreed with who was in government the majority had spoken. If that government created hardship or didn't deliver they didn't get in next term, the people learned by their mistakes and chose accordingly. The countries leader needs to be chosen by the people regardless of the methods or outcome, if the people make a mistake they will learn by it (eventually).

The biggest concern is the amount of weapons that appear to be on the streets at the moment esecially what appear to be "military" type weapons, this is something that needs to be addressed seriously.

IMO

• Like 1

It's all over but the crying. The newest charter is not written yet, but the mold seems to have made months ago.

And the tragedy is that this is a temporary fix, and a treating of symptoms rather than causes.

The cycle is not over by any means, nor can cultural evolution be stopped.

I wonder how many Chinese ideas are in the new charter?

• Like 1

The parliamentary system, well tested over the centuries around the world, offers the ability to resolve crises if the elite sector is clever and calm enough to allow it to work properly. Democracy can never mature here amid constant calls for "good middlemen" from outside Parliament to solve the problems.

And that is about the size of it. You may not like those elected but that can change in the next election by the majority vote.

Historically around the world oppression and tyranny from military leaders has often lead to a civil uprising. We've already witnessed violence on the streets of Bangkok and unless things change dramatically here then civil war is on the cards.

• Like 2

What is democracy?

In the ASEAN member states the majority have the same government for more than 10 years and some of them since independence.

This would be difficult to achieve in West European democracies and when it happened the (elected) people in power lost contact with reality...such as in Sweden during the 1970ies.

There is the "Juan Peron" and " Ferdinand Marcos" kind of democracy : both presidents and their parties won (bought?) every election in which they participated, but they emptied their countries to a state of bankruptcy.

There is the Chinese kind of democracy with the power being a monopoly of the CP...but this is a party of 80 million members and not at all a family run affair as it in North Korea and other "democracies". There are also very wise time limits on the top jobs in the government.

Nothing is perfect but a good democracy is for instance the UK where the wish of the Cameron government to join the US in the civil war of Syria was voted down not only by the opposition party members but also by members of the ruling Conservative and Libdem parties. Again nothing is perfect but obviously the UK members of parliament were not elected thanks to "sponsoring" by the Prime Minister....

Poorly reasoned editorial. Whether the PM is an MP doesn't make the process any more democratic. It still is an indirect election of the PM by Parliament. Only a direct election of the PM would be purely democratic.

Rarely does this happen.. Even in the USA they have the electoral college system.

• Like 1

It's all over but the crying. The newest charter is not written yet, but the mold seems to have made months ago.

And the tragedy is that this is a temporary fix, and a treating of symptoms rather than causes.

The cycle is not over by any means, nor can cultural evolution be stopped.

I wonder how many Chinese ideas are in the new charter?

The more I hear about it, it seems like Hong Kong lite

Sondhi must be rejoicing. They are his type of people

Get rid of the party list form of election. Make each candidate work for and then get voted in on their merits. Then there will be some form of democracy wrt to electing the PM.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

"Thailand has had many non-elected premiers in its history, but only under the rule of authoritarian figures, primarily from the military."

And so that will continue. By this provision the military has created Sustainability in Totalitarianism, ironically on its Unsustainability of the Economy.