Do Goped gas powered scooters require driving licence in Thailand?

Hoovernose

You can pick them up in the very middle of Khlong Thom market in Chinatown for 7,000-25,000(?) baht, depending on the model.

I wouldn't worry about the license as much as insurance if you happen to scratch a Black Mercedes...or get run over by a bus.

If you do require a licence to ride these bikes in Thailand and have travel insurance you need to show proof you have an international licence issued in your own country or a licence issued in Thailand or make up a story for the insurance company how you fell off a bar stool in a pub and broke your leg to get your claim paid.

Anything gas powered you need a helmet and a license to drive. just read about in hear all the complaining about getting stopped and paying fines. Yes a international drivers permit will work but it is only good for one year. If you are staying here any length of time get your Thai License. Never had a problem when stopped having mine.

I used to have one of these in the UK. It was powered with a chainsaw engine. It was tuned up to the max. Think it was 30cc bored out to 38cc, cant remember now. I bought it to get to work after I was banned for drink driving. Used it for 6 months and never got stopped by the police. There a bit scary being so close to the floor. Wouldnt get on one now though.

I used to have one of these in the UK. It was powered with a chainsaw engine. It was tuned up to the max. Think it was 30cc bored out to 38cc, cant remember now. I bought it to get to work after I was banned for drink driving. Used it for 6 months and never got stopped by the police. There a bit scary being so close to the floor. Wouldnt get on one now though.

hmmm.....strange how all things are related to the booze god for some. :-)

I had one many years ago. Very dangerous. Small wheels get caught up in stuff and nobody sees you. I sold it on to a friend who the same day broke both of his arms riding it home.

I wouldn't recommend one unless ridden on private land or a car park.

You mean your ex-friendwink.png

Not for me either, better buy of those electric bi-cycles you see more and more here.

I had one many years ago. Very dangerous. Small wheels get caught up in stuff and nobody sees you. I sold it on to a friend who the same day broke both of his arms riding it home.

I wouldn't recommend one unless ridden on private land or a car park.

You mean your ex-friend

Not for me either, better buy of those electric bi-cycles you see more and more here.

I have a LA Bikes 24" 6 speed Nimble E-Bike and I love it, though I wish it had 26" wheels instead of 24". Pedals just like a regular bike, or does about 20-25 Km/Hr on the puny 250 watt, 36V motor.

• Like 1

The law in Thailand requires these things to be registered, but the good news is, you can hang the licence plate around your neck.

My understanding is that nothing under 100cc can be registered.

Or am I mis-informed?

No idea, but you may be right. it's the leftover rum from the Xmas pudding, you know - it makes me attempt humour.

Anything gas powered you need a helmet and a license to drive. just read about in hear all the complaining about getting stopped and paying fines. Yes a international drivers permit will work but it is only good for one year. If you are staying here any length of time get your Thai License. Never had a problem when stopped having mine.

I will correct this statement.....

The only Gas Powered vehicle that can be ridden/driven without a License either vehicle or drivers is a gas powered bicycle! There are laws you need to insure the bike is in tune with though...

Must have lights (does not say turn, High been or brake are needed!

Must have a warning (sound device)

Must have a mirror

Must have Peddles that actually work! (In Bicycle mode, you must demonstrate they will propel Bike as flawlessly as a nomal Bicycle!!)

The one that will get everyone in trouble is it is Manditory to wear a Helmet!!!

If Police have motorcycle stopped and you pass by him or he sees you without Hemet... "He can let you go and pursue the Bicycle!!" as the fine he is going to collect from you is 100 - 1000 Baht. He can collect from Bicyclist 5,000 - 10,000 Baht!!!

I have owned both! I have converted to gas powered for several High Ranking Police for their family use.

If you follow the rules you are rewarded by "No insurance needed, neither License required. As long as you obey Traffic Laws, as they were intended. You will have free use of Local Streets at your disposal.

A note that helped me when first built one was getting them to inspect at Local Police Headquarters. Many wanted to test and were all smiles afterwards. Many have brought motorcycles and Bicycles to me to offer repair advice. Sometimes I fixed when easy as a offer of Goodwill, I have done this for 50 years now... First started when my friends son brought his Bicycle to Main Airforce Gate and asked for "Uncle David" to help him with repairing... AP at gate knew who I was and had my little friends standby as they located me...

First time was New Years Eve, 1966....

Karma!

If you get stopped.... Remember All ridders must be wearing, not just in possession of... "A Helmet"

• Like 1

I don't have any experience with these guys other than lusting after one of them (their bicycles, not their cuties). I saw a shop in Kanchanaburi, but it was closed on a Sunday. So I tracked them down on the interweb.

http://www.roadwingbike.com/

http://www.pantipmarket.com/items/10938746

Edited by impulse

I don't have any experience with these guys other than lusting after one of them (their bicycles, not their cuties). I saw a shop in Kanchanaburi, but it was closed on a Sunday. So I tracked them down on the interweb.

Oh man! They look awesome. Romance of the road kinda thing. You've just spent 20k of my money - I think I'm going to buy one - after a little checking, of course. Much thanks Mr Impulse.

Oh man! They look awesome. Romance of the road kinda thing. You've just spent 20k of my money - I think I'm going to buy one - after a little checking, of course. Much thanks Mr Impulse.

Post back if you do. I've been considering buying one for years- and a good review of them by anyone here would also separate me from 20K.

I love my electric, and have never run out of juice on 10 mile jaunts, but I like the idea of unlimited range that comes with a gas engine and a couple of liters of go-juice...

And I'm getting too old and fat to pedal in the Thailand heat.

Edited by impulse

That Roadwing is built on a very, very, very cheap bike similar to the junk you bought at a Toys R Us 30 years ago.

You could buy a similar grade of bike at Tesco for 4000b and just add a motor instead.

Personally I would just get a "bicycle motor kit" and put it on a better used bicycle that has a modern frame and sealed bearings.

It would be cheaper and safer than the Roadwing.

http://m.instructables.com/id/80cc-BICYCLE-motorized-ENGINE-KIT/

Or if money is no object get a conversion kit for a fat or fab up a 6 to 18hp pocketbike engine in a heavy duty dirt jump/downhill frame.

http://electricbikereport.com/fat-electric-bikes/

Edited by ttakata

You could buy a similar grade of bike at Tesco for 4000b and just add a motor instead.

The big issue for me is the availability of components in Thailand. (Keep in mind I work ridiculous hours, so time and money are different for me than a retiree)

I've seen the engines in Chinatown, but not the fuel tanks and the rest of the nuts and bolts. And I have too many unfinished projects laying around China and Thailand that looked like a good idea, but fell short because of some simple component that I couldn't find at reasonable cost. It's not like "back home" where anything I need is available overnight from the interweb, with cheap shipping.

I have added up the parts for Chinatown and the complete Road Wing is cheaper than the sum of the parts I would have to buy to convert a bicycle that I already own. (Kind of like buying a new motorcycle, part by part) My thought was to buy the Road Wing and upgrade parts or use it for the donor if some of the components are not up to scratch.

I had the same thought when I purchased my LA E-bike, and so far, it's been satisfactory with no work at all beyond some safety (visibility) upgrades.