Bank closure for 5 consecutive days

I feel it's kind of strange that government would allow banks to be closed for 5 days straight. I am not saying bank workers doesn't deserve a holiday. but there could be ways of handling it without disrupting the financial services of a country.

what are your thoughts / opinions?

p.s i calculate wrong its 5 days :-)

And how much days are the banks closed in Europe?

Wake up and relax.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

1 day in the UK.

Now go back to sleep.

Wasn't it 4 days last week?

they are closed on public holidays and weekends. whats the problem with that ?

The public holidays are too long!

You would not get a 5 day continuous shutdown in the UK for example

For most people it is not an issue as long as they don't need to receive funds before 5th January.

Servicing the ATMs is also a key factor but, like many expats, I have taken the precaution of withdrawing enough money to last the whole of January if necessary biggrin.png

I bet your retired.

• Like 1

ATM's work 24/7 by multiple banks.

You can pretty much do everything online now, from transferring funds to 3rd party financial institutions either domestic or international. You can also pay bills online 24/7.

What banking services do you require that demands banks to stay open for no less than 3 or 4 consecutive days?

BTW, you can search online using any of your favorite search engines for "2015 Thailand Public Holidays BOT". BOT stands for Bank of Thailand, as some holidays that are public may not affect financial institutions. I hope this information can help you plan your 2015 financial year.

FYI: The government at anytime can declare public holidays that affect financial institutions, in which case, you may go and direct your query to the government. I believe the current government has a hotline number to take on questions and complaints.

I think banks should be open on Sunday nights in case I need to withdraw cash but have forgotten my ATM card and need the branch to be open, or if I need to ask one of the tellers a question about something

Second that. I'm also concerned about bank worker morale when getting 5 days off straight. Might be a huge blow to the economy in the end.

Edited by ThailandLOS

And which public holidays and weekends constitute 5 consecutive days?

today, tomorrow and Friday are public holidays. Saturday and Sunday make up the weekend days.

@others

there is no real issue, unless you were expecting an international wire-transfer.

The banks may not open their doors to the public but that doesn't mean they shut down completely. Back office operations will still continue. Bank operations at their central offices are up and running to some extent 24/7 all year.

Obviously at this time of the year it's not only Thai banks and financial institutions that have extended holidays, so international transactions will undoubtedly be delayed, but I've received notification of bank deposits received on days when the banks were not open in the past.

Quite aside from that, it can hardly come as a surprise to you that New Years and other holidays occur this time of the year. A little planning on your part to visit the ATM to ensure you have some cash on hand during the holidays and to schedule international transfers before or after the holidays might be considered the sensible thing to do ...

sarcasmalert.gif .... and I'm sure all the wise and resourceful Thai Visa posters have taken such precautions.

today, tomorrow and Friday are public holidays. Saturday and Sunday make up the weekend days.

Ah yes, Jan 2nd was announced quite recently wasn't it? It is actually shown on my 2015 calendar.

Quite a few places closed up their doors 27th too, for an even longer break.

Ah yes, Jan 2nd was announced quite recently wasn't it? It is actually shown on my 2015 calendar.

In the pinned topic which I posted Dec 7 - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/782233-public-holidays-2015/

just went to a SCB ATM and the english button didn't take me to the english screen - i got a thai screen message.... tried again and on the main page screen with the english button it had a list of cash withdrawl options which was nice - otherwise i would not have wanted to guess on the thai screen - but I think most all Mall branches would be open over the next 5 days ... maybe some will close - don't know but they are open 7 days a week usually... hey as long as the ATM's don't shut down or George Soros doesn't make another thai baht takedown over the next 5 days it should be ok right? but I think he is too busy taking russia and the ukraine money right now 5 5 5

http://www.infowars.com/soros-admits-responsibility-for-coup-and-mass-murder-in-ukraine/

Edited by shrimpythailand

For most people it is not an issue as long as they don't need to receive funds before 5th January.

Servicing the ATMs is also a key factor but, like many expats, I have taken the precaution of withdrawing enough money to last the whole of January if necessary biggrin.png

"You would not get a 5-day continuous closure in the UK for example"

Well they shut down even the railways for more than that over this Christmas.

No they don't.

No they don't.

I was quite saddened yesterday, as I'd put off going for something until the 30th, thinking it would be fine and I'd have money to eat for the week: surprise, they had a computer problem, which wasn't resolved until moments before closing, so....hello no food for a week. Go ahead and make fun of a person for it, it's a bit excessive, banks closed for almost a full week.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif The computers are still working, commerce does not shut down .

OK...... you try moving money from a bank in the UK to your account in Thailand.

Sounds like a UK banking problem to me, I send money from my U.S. bank and don't have problems.

No beechguy, it is at the receiving end - no one to process it in Thailand