Smartphone OSs - on the cheap and admit it

connda

25 years in the computer industry and after retiring and seeing the advent of 'Smart-Phones', I swore I'd never have one.

But then the pragmatic side of me kicks in. Smartphones can be had for as little as 2000 baht, most that I see are running Andriod Kitkat. OK. Now I'm dumb as a brick, but I know what I want.

My current phone is an old Nokia that you could have bought for 500 baht 4 years ago. Works for me. But here is want I want.

A phone. Simple. But also, the ability to connect to the internet to get to both www.thai-language.com and www.thai2english.com - or - a really decent Thai-English translation program.

Why? I read Thai at about 95% proficenicy - for pronunciation of the words. My understanding of the actual vocabulary is about 20%. I want a SP in order to translate writen Thai to English for the words that I don't know. Other than that, I'd rather use my laptop, but I can't put the darn thing in my pocket and then I have to seach for 'hot-spots'. So, I'm ready to buy a Smart phone that can do the very simple task I need it for -- Thai / Enghish translation, and to take an ocassional phone call.

Suggestions! And please avoid sarcasm. I really don't need it. Many thanks!

As for the phone, who knows, sooo many options. tongue.png

But for a dictionary or translation service, there is Google Translate. It's free. It does both online and offline translations. You just download the offline language pack you need.

A very good alternative (not free) is the Paiboon Talking Thai-English-Thai Dictionary.

• Like 1

As for the phone, who knows, sooo many options. tongue.png

But for a dictionary or translation service, there is Google Translate. It's free. It does both online and offline translations. You just download the offline language pack you need.

A very good alternative (not free) is the Paiboon Talking Thai-English-Thai Dictionary.

Google translate quality is poor when it comes to Thai to English translation. And don't get me started with the Offline version in either direction. Many times it makes no sense at all. English to Thai when you have internet connection works great.

AFAIK the Paiboon dictionary is for the PC.

@connda:

About the Phone: anything that runs at least Android 4.4x is good enough. If you are out and about a lot you might want to focus on the size of the battery. The Acer Liquid E700 Trio has a 3.500 mAh battery, runs Android 4.4, you can add a SD-Card to extend the memory of the phone. This would be something I would buy if I were in need of a new phone.

• Like 1

Google translate works fine for me in offline mode (just no speach output).

The speech output in online mode is very useful.

There is and will be no usefull automatic translation in the foreseeable future (contradictionary to the ever recurring sensationalist news).

What the topic starter describes sounds more like he just needs a simple dictionary.

For that Google is OK.

Additionally I have another dictionary, called "Thai English Dictionary".

Unfortunately thai-language.com does not have a mobile version of the site, so operating it with such a mini display is "fussy".

I have an 11000 Baht Samsung Android thing.

• Like 1

I know thai2english and it does about the same as the bulk translation of thai-language.com.

http://www.thai-language.com/bulklookup

Hard to say which one does a better job.

thai-language.com remains my favourite due to many additonal features (too much for such a post).

I am not aware whether there is a comparable Android app.

You should give http://www.thai2english.com/ a try to see what the intention of OP is. You will see it works differently then Google translator.

I would be glad if someone could tell me n app that does the same.

I use the downloadable version of Thai2English. It's a good programs, but I've noticed that they have pretty much stop supporting it. I believe their last PC update was about August of 2011. I'd love to see this ported to Android for mobile devices, but I doubt that's going to happen.