Stop The Noise!

Just moved into a great apartment in Sukhumvit Soi 24.....to find ourselves surrounded by building sites.

One particular site seems to work non-stop around the clock.

Are there any building restrictions concerning hours of work, and ways of legally enforcing this....or should I just give up - knowing that the landowner may be well connected and have friends in high places (wow, i feel so cynical after only a few months of being here!)...

Any advice welcome...

Noise nuisance can be controlled.

I suppose you are not the only one having problems with the noise, so you should get together with a number of people to file a complaint.

There are regulations about building noise and you should ask the owner of your building to check these. If you think that the maximum levels are exceeded you should contact the builder first and try to solve the problem gently.

If he does not want to comply with the rules voluntary, than you can go to the city council and they will send the police or the environmental department to check the levels.

Of course, you are still in Thailand, so be sure you don't make too much noise at your own.

Good luck.

Just moved into a great apartment in Sukhumvit Soi 24.....to find ourselves surrounded by building sites.

One particular site seems to work non-stop around the clock.

Are there any building restrictions concerning hours of work, and ways of legally enforcing this....or should I just give up - knowing that the landowner may be well connected and have friends in high places (wow, i feel so cynical after only a few months of being here!)...

Any advice welcome...

I had a similar problem with yard dogs. Invested in double pain windows, insulation for the ceiling and new doors. Knocked out 50% of the noise. I presume with the new airport there will be some anti-sound companies cornering the market soon

There are regulations about building noise and you should ask the owner of your building to check these. If you think that the maximum levels are exceeded you should contact the builder first and try to solve the problem gently.

If he does not want to comply with the rules voluntary, than you can go to the city council and they will send the police or the environmental department to check the levels.

Hillarious....... :o:D

that's the first thing one checks on when renting or especially buying a house, apartment, or condo in Thailand. Never rent or buy in an area with lots of empty land plots around it...especially in central areas that will likely be built up sooner or later (usually sooner...like the day after you sign the lease of sale contract, a construction crane shows up at the empty lot next door to start a new 40 story condo project that will take 3 years to complete :o ). They don't call these countries "developing" for nothing.

the noise in bangkok is what eventually drove me to pattaya....24/7 on every soi along sukhumvit!!!

Hillarious....... :o:D

Oh come on, be fair.

In my (somewhat limited) experience at two locations at two different times in Bangkok, neighbours complained to the ''authorities'' who responded quickly. In both cases they agreed there was a noise nuisance and as soon as the building work was completed the authorities ensured that the noise would cease ...