UK Visa for new Thai partner

Hi I'd like some clarification about this topic too. About four years ago I made a visa application for my former Thai partner to visit the UK, apart from all the information she had to provide about herself, her child and her family, as well as a letter from her employer. I also had to supply a confirmation letter, copies of six months bank statements, copy of the deeds to my home, and a detailed itinerary of where she was going to visit whilst here, she also included many photographs of us taken together over a number of years. She had to submit the application in person in Bangkok and when notified that her papers were ready to collect (with no indication of if the visa was granted or not) it required a further visit to Bangkok. The visa was in fact granted.

I now have another partner of three years, and am wanting to obtain a visa for her to come to the UK, as for the last fifteen months I have been travelling back and forth between the UK and Thailand during which time I have had five operations for bladder cancer. I initially thought if we were married it would be a simple matter to take my 'wife' back to the UK, but the UK governments financial requirements are somewhat beyond my means (£63,000 in the bank + annual income in excess of £19,000).

Reference has been made to applications only able to be made 'on line' how if this is the case, is it possible to provide all the supporting documentation usually required. I made enquiries with one of the larger Visa agents in Pattaya who indicated that applications can take many weeks before a decision is made. I am only considering using an agent this time because as I say I am back and forth to the UK for treatment, and unfortunately need someone to carry out all the work I did myself previously.

Just what is the procedure for a Thai applying for a UK visa

Information would be gratefully received

I created a new thread for you as it will probably get missed piggy backed on the other thread.

What sort of visa does your new partner want to apply for, remember she applies not you?

You mention income + savings, this indicates she might want to apply to settle in the UK, and that it looks like that is what she wants to do.

For settlement you will need to prove, as her sponsor, income of £18,600, providing there are no children applying, the savings route can be used, or a combination of both, if you don't meet the £18,600 income level, you don't need savings if you meet the income required.

You are correct the application has to be made, and paid for, online, the applicant then has to go to the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok and submit a hard copy of the application, her supporting evidence, her passport(s) and have her biometric details captured.

I assume you are married, if you only live as an unmarried partners, there may be other requirements.

Regarding the use of an agent, a settlement visa application is reasonably straightforward, it's not you application so you don't need to be in Thailand, and a reasonable agent will tell you that, some people do prefer the comfort that a good agent will provide, which agent are you thinking of?

If you are applying for a settlement visa, then it can take up to 12 weeks. But, at the moment, it seems to be taking around 5 to 6 weeks. That will, of course, change depending on how busy the Embassy visa section is when your partner applies.

As theoldgit says, you do not require an income of 18,600 GBP a year and savings of 62,500 GBP. It is normally one or the other, but the two can be combined if you are employed ( but not if your are self-employed). So, a salary of less than 18,600 GBP a year will require a certain level of savings to make up the difference.

As you talk about your "partner", I assume that you are not married. If you are looking for a settlement visa, then you will either need to be married already, or your partner is going to the UK to be married there ( as your fiance), or you have been living together for at least two years.

We offer a free consultation, if you would like to contact us. If you and/or your partner is in the Pattaya area, then we would be happy to have a consultation in person. But, please feel free to contact us by email. Just click on our avatar on the left, or on our forum sponsorship banner.

I'm sorry to hear about your illness; but it may actually help you!

If you are unable to work due to your illness and in receipt of DLA, or certain other benefits, then you do not need to meet the financial requirement through a minimum income and/or savings but can do so through adequate maintenance.

This means you only need to show that you can support her without reliance on public funds; other than those you may already receive. See 3.6. Meeting the financial requirement through “adequate maintenance”.

See also Para 12 of Appendix FM-SE Family members - specified evidence for the evidence required if you do use this route.

You may also find UK settlement visa basics helpful.

Thank you for all the information, I have submitted under separate cover full details of my circumstances and requirements to Thai Visa Express who have offered to give me advice. The whole thing which one would feel should be simple (being able to live with ones wife in ones country of origin) is a minefield