First of seven 'dangerous New Year holidays' see 58 killed in road accidents

webfact

I live 18 klm from the city of CNX. Nice and quiet here. And this is exactly where I'm gonna stay for the next week until the madness has somewhat subdued.

I checked all the maps I could and didn't find a city called 'CNX'.

Perhaps you mean an airport?

Language both verbal and written is a moving feast. Gets a little tricky if you are not familiar with airport nomenclature but it has been in common useage for sometime " LAX, LDN, SYD, BKK etc " Just like email and texting abrev/jargon, if you want to change it you will be peeing into the wind.

I live 18 klm from the city of CNX. Nice and quiet here. And this is exactly where I'm gonna stay for the next week until the madness has somewhat subdued.

Always a smarta$$ in the room. Perhaps if you stay here in Thailand for more than a couple of months, you will become familiar with the fact that MANY people who live in CHIANG MAI, tend to refer to it by the CNX "short cut", just as people who live in BANGKOK refer to it as BKK when writing.

Have a Happy New Year, where ever you happen to live.

So did you have a good XMAS ?tongue.png

• Like 1

Always a smarta$$ in the room. Perhaps if you stay here in Thailand for more than a couple of months, you will become familiar with the fact that MANY people who live in CHIANG MAI, tend to refer to it by the CNX "short cut", just as people who live in BANGKOK refer to it as BKK when writing.

Have a Happy New Year, where ever you happen to live.

So did you have a good XMAS ?tongue.png

Most thais use the word chitmat rolleyes.gif

508 accidents and it's not even new year yet, but still 2014. Nice. Thais upped the ante this year. They seem to have a problem with their own population, otherwise they wouldn't put so much effort into cutting it in half.

I've been here about 5 years. And stay in the sticks most of the time. But, two years ago I was not thinking and went threw BKK at this time of the year.

I still get the shakes when I think about it. From that day on I check the dates of all holidays religiously before I head out on any trip.... Dangerous is not even close to what I saw. More like insanity behind the wheel.

Thais are not good drivers when sober,add drink and

night time driving,I will be keeping off the roads for a

few days,well stocked so really don't need to go out anyway.

regards Worgeordie

Good advice.

I saw one db on soi 103 this afternoon. I would think, given the 58 is supposed to cover all of Thailand, it is a lowball number.

Before everyone gets too upset, that is 14 deaths less than the national average of 72 per day. So perhaps all the police checks and increased enforcement is working.

Thats why those numbers are total BS. Should be 58+72= 130.

Yes I am a bit confused. If the normal daily accident death rate is 72 people per day,

and now the government is saying the death rate today was 58, then this holiday

period should be renamed the Seven Safety Days..... Am I am missing something here ?

Edited by EyesWideOpen