Purchasing a moped. Tourist.

flashpanther

Moped is a misnomer for sure, but good enough slag for the non-discerning mind.

My friend refers to his Harley his "scoot."

To me a moped has pedals;

underbone = wave type; aka "cub",

Motor mounted on the swing-arm = a scooter.

All are motorcycles, motorbikes, cys, mocys, motos, fun. thumbsup.gif

As Bob Dylan sang:

"I don't want a pickle,

I just want to ride my motor sickle."

...or was it Arlo Guthrie?

Scoot - short for Scooter Tramp, what we were called back in the 70's if U rode HD.

And it was Arlo

Dylan sang the Classic "Comin' into Los Angeles, Bringin' in a couple of Keys ..."

A Honda wave or similar is not a moped, I always thought a moped was a pushbike with a small engine on it, I have not seen one since I was about ten years old.

'moped' is a hangover from the 70's when manufacturers started building motorised bicycles. At that time in the UK you had to be 17 to ride a bike up to 250cc but 16 year olds were allowed to ride mopeds - basically a device with a motor of maximum capacity 50cc and also able to be propelled by pedals. The first mopeds such as the awful French Velosolex with a motor mounted on the forks and driving the front wheel by means of a friction wheel on the front tyre were dreadful and didnt really capture the hearts of any 16 year old boys at that time. The crafty Japs however soon started building proper 'mini' motorbikes such as Yamahas FS1E which could hit speeds over 50mph but although they did have pedals, realistically they were virtually impossible to use. With a rapidly rising casualty rate amongst 16 year olds Government legislated and introduced a design limitation of 30mph max speed and withdrew the requirement for pedals. So technically mopeds are no longer made. Scooters were originally the choice of 'mods' - Vespas and Lambrettas, machines for men who like to feel the wind in their vaginas. The term scooter is now applied to pretty much any open frame rear engine bike - quite why Americans choose to call their Harleys 'scooters' is beyond me - though to be fair they are probably about as reliable and perform no better than a Vespa scooter...

• Like 1

Moped is a misnomer for sure, but good enough slag for the non-discerning mind.

My friend refers to his Harley his "scoot."

To me a moped has pedals;

underbone = wave type; aka "cub",

Motor mounted on the swing-arm = a scooter.

All are motorcycles, motorbikes, cys, mocys, motos, fun. thumbsup.gif

As Bob Dylan sang:

"I don't want a pickle,

I just want to ride my motor sickle."

...or was it Arlo Guthrie?

Scoot - short for Scooter Tramp, what we were called back in the 70's if U rode HD.

And it was Arlo

Dylan sang the Classic "Comin' into Los Angeles, Bringin' in a couple of Keys ..."

That was also Arlo.

The place where i bought my Wave didnt ask for any driving license.

I agree with Faz, it would be clever to have a Thai DL for insurance purposes...

Reading up on the subject of Thai DL (as previous suggestions on this thread) according to info on this websites forums I would need a visa. I would not be able to get one as a tourist. But does seem hit and miss if they actually ask to see if you have a non-immigration visa(?!). Doesn't seem like something I'd really want to waste so much effort and time on with no guarantee getting to be honest.

The place where i bought my Wave didnt ask for any driving license.

I agree with Faz, it would be clever to have a Thai DL for insurance purposes...

Reading up on the subject of Thai DL (as previous suggestions on this thread) according to info on this websites forums I would need a visa. I would not be able to get one as a tourist. But does seem hit and miss if they actually ask to see if you have a non-immigration visa(?!). Doesn't seem like something I'd really want to waste so much effort and time on with no guarantee getting to be honest.

No the seller are normally not concerned about a drivers license.

In Pattaya you can get (or used to) a 1 year driver licensees on a tourist visa but are not sure if this is still the case.

Riding here without a valid license is not recommended, you will always be a fault by default if the shit hits the fan and the insurance company will not pay for you either.

You can get a license in 1 day so well worth the time and effort to try getting one and it's very cheap too.

• Like 2

op do you not have a friend here who would put the bike in their name for you, what sort of visa is the gf here on.

electric start waves are not easy to come by. yamaha do a spark,115fi manual gears. i have an electric start spark, 2014 4400kilos if interested.

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

I have obviously my UK license. Just people are advising maybe a good idea to get a Thai license to keep insurance company happy if used. But to get a Thai License I need a visa according to guidance from Thai official websites I looked at. Not gonna be possible with tourist visa exempt stamp in my passport lol. Unless I am lucky.

Fiancee is Laotian. I make sure she gets the monthly stamps in her passport to show she follows protocol so it looks good when we apply for her UK settlement visa. She has already been on visit to UK for 10 week this summer with youngest daughter. There is her cousin who is Thai in the village. I could get the bike in her name I suppose. But if purchasing new would prefer it in my name if possible. Her cousin runs a local shop, nursery and I dunno what else but also will pawn things for people. Wouldn't like a bike in her name as easy for fiancée to pawn to her then ha ha.

The electric start Honda click 125i is starting to appeal. Prefer the more lady like foot well.

• Like 1

Faz - def looks like some luck maybe involved. Will give the residency certificate a go local to her home. 3000 Baht at British Embassy but maybe for nothing in end. Then I'll see when visiting dealers if anything catches the eye. A UK driving license shown to the dealer, with passport, residency letter and paying in cash be enough? If they want Thai driving license I'll go for the health certificate and then give the Thai DL a go. Failing that will consider registering in her cousin's name. Otherwise a 10k old Honda wave or click maybe the way forward. At least I go there prepared now knowing what it will entail and that it may or may not be possible depending on the luck of the draw with the people I deal with.

• Like 1

you can pick up hardly used second hand, finance snatch backs for 15.000 baht below new prices

i bought one from a dealer in Bangkok, delivered this year. he has a suzuki nex 996 kilo's 2015 model 23.900 baht.( 40.000 baht ish new) if paying cash its the way to go,

pm me if you need details, he is not connected to me in any way, just a good helpful guy.

• Like 1

See guzzi post above.

If you buy insurance from a Thai company, they will want a valid driving license.

If they want a Thai license - which they will, look at the flag on the pole, and you have an accident, the fine print will give them a loophole to not pay your claim, at fault or not.

But - up to you.

Ride it off.

Dealership will take care of the registration with Land Transport Office.

GF can come back in and pick up greenbook (title) when it is ready in a few days, week.

I'm guessing she will be using it when you are back in the world.

Try to convince her to wear a helmet.

Laos ladies are great.

Far less mercenary than Thai.

Get an oil change after riding it a day or two.

130baht.

Have her take it in for recommended service to maintain warranty.

The dealer let me ride off without the residence certificate. (Actually I had one but it was over a month old.) Promised to get it to them within a month.

Also, I agree about the first oil change. I bet the most wear occurs in the first five minutes of running.

• Like 2

I'd be very wary of buying any 2nd hand motor vehicle in Thailand, unless you know it's history.

Far to many don't look after them, servicing costs baht, it's running so why bother! How many times do you see idiots screwing the arse end out of motorcycles especially.

2nd hand vehicles also hold their value here, with little depreciation, unlike the west. 10,000 baht below 'new price' for a 2 year old motorcycle would be a good deal in Thailand, but you don't really know what your getting for your money. It's Hobson's choice whether your lucky or not.

Personally if your going to make an investment, I'd go for new with manufacturers warranty.

The only way I'd buy 2nd hand is with a full service history and a 12 month warranty.............highly unlikely because even a dealer wouldn't stick his neck out that far, when even he doesn't know how the vehicle was treated by the previous owner. The exception might be if you knew the owner and that they cared for the vehicle.

Even buying one with a documented service history means that the "mechanics" have had their paws on it.

They almost got me killed & practically destroyed my last bike and all they did was change the oil and fix a few flat tires.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

BoneRanger, on 04 Jan 2015 - 07:50, said:
Faz, on 04 Jan 2015 - 07:41, said:

I'd be very wary of buying any 2nd hand motor vehicle in Thailand, unless you know it's history.

Far to many don't look after them, servicing costs baht, it's running so why bother! How many times do you see idiots screwing the arse end out of motorcycles especially.

2nd hand vehicles also hold their value here, with little depreciation, unlike the west. 10,000 baht below 'new price' for a 2 year old motorcycle would be a good deal in Thailand, but you don't really know what your getting for your money. It's Hobson's choice whether your lucky or not.

Personally if your going to make an investment, I'd go for new with manufacturers warranty.

The only way I'd buy 2nd hand is with a full service history and a 12 month warranty.............highly unlikely because even a dealer wouldn't stick his neck out that far, when even he doesn't know how the vehicle was treated by the previous owner. The exception might be if you knew the owner and that they cared for the vehicle.

Even buying one with a documented service history means that the "mechanics" have had their paws on it.

They almost got me killed & practically destroyed my last bike and all they did was change the oil and fix a few flat tires.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Unfortunately being able to hold a spanner qualifies you as a 'mechanic' or an 'engineer' in Thailand.

Any recommendations for a scooter with a floor board style chassis vs. the driveshaft space used for carrying packages? And a more powerful engine than the Honda Wave? For two people riding with a total weight of 140-150kg, 125cc engines are a bit skimpy on the hills. And is there a recommended shop or two to buy from, preferably with a credit card. What price range are we looking at for 125cc/200cc scooters?

Edited by Travelighlty

Any recommendations for a scooter with a floor board style chassis vs. the driveshaft space used for carrying packages? And a more powerful engine than the Honda Wave? For two people riding with a total weight of 140-150kg, 125cc engines are a bit skimpy on the hills. And is there a recommended shop or two to buy from, preferably with a credit card. What price range are we looking at for 125cc/200cc scooters?

Honda SH150i from Asia City Motors priced around 90,000bt.

They will bring it right to your door.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What a bunch of bullshit you write man, do you have any experience in this matter?

Any popular Thai made scooter can be fixed very cheap here and if you find the right shop the mechanics are not bad.

Thai scooters quickly loose their value and after 5 years they hardly cost more than 10-15.000 baht so calling it an investment is a bit over the top.

I owned 3 Waves 110/125cc I all bought 2nd hand here in LOS over the years and they never gave any problems expect wear and tear. One had a dirty carburetor but that was fixed for 100 baht. Another one had worn chain/sprockets so I had to spend an eye watering 600 baht for new parts and installment.

Now if we were talking +500K baht cars/bikes then it's a different mater and especially with cars/trucks you have to be very very careful when buying 2nd hand.

Only thing to be aware of when buying a scooter is that it's not been crashed badly with bent frame/fork but a test ride will easily tell you if this is the case or not.

If I was here for a short time only, I would not hesitate buying an old scooter since the "investment" is much less and you loose less when selling it 6-12 month later or just give it away to somebody you know.

Asia City Motors, alas, BKK. Wonder if there would be enough savings to head there from CM. Shops in CM, anyone?

Asia City Motors, alas, BKK. Wonder if there would be enough savings to head there from CM. Shops in CM, anyone?

No not worth it, prices are almost the same, why don't you check?

I bought my pcx150 also at asia city motors in Bowin, app 30 km from Pattaya and they also shipped it to my house for free.

That was when the first pcx150 was launched and I saved app 5000 baht but since then the prices dropped in Pattaya as well.

What a bunch of bullshit you write man, do you have any experience in this matter?

Any popular Thai made scooter can be fixed very cheap here and if you find the right shop the mechanics are not bad.

Thai scooters quickly loose their value and after 5 years they hardly cost more than 10-15.000 baht so calling it an investment is a bit over the top.

I owned 3 Waves 110/125cc I all bought 2nd hand here in LOS over the years and they never gave any problems expect wear and tear. One had a dirty carburetor but that was fixed for 100 baht. Another one had worn chain/sprockets so I had to spend an eye watering 600 baht for new parts and installment.

Now if we were talking +500K baht cars/bikes then it's a different mater and especially with cars/trucks you have to be very very careful when buying 2nd hand.

Only thing to be aware of when buying a scooter is that it's not been crashed badly with bent frame/fork but a test ride will easily tell you if this is the case or not.

If I was here for a short time only, I would not hesitate buying an old scooter since the "investment" is much less and you loose less when selling it 6-12 month later or just give it away to somebody you know.

I think you are being a bit hard, not to mention rude with our friend here. The truth is somewhere between the two.

My wife's kids bought 2nd hand bikes and they were trouble all the time, I bought a 2nd hand Yamaha scooter from a farang, which was okay, but it was younger than my Wave, with fewer miles and nowhere near as good, with carbs instead of PI. Then as you say it could be pranged and disguised, a new drum brake kick-start PI Wave is so damn cheap I wouldn't bother looking for 2nd hand, which are overpriced for a pig-in-a-poke.

Thais rarely look after anything they buy, just running it until it drops and not all mechanics do a proper job either, plus you may break down in the middle of nowhere in 40degC.

So I say buy new, you will get your money back when you sell and have a trouble free time.

• Like 2

No not worth it, prices are almost the same, why don't you check?

I bought my pcx150 also at asia city motors in Bowin, app 30 km from Pattaya and they also shipped it to my house for free.

That was when the first pcx150 was launched and I saved app 5000 baht but since then the prices dropped in Pattaya as well.

"No not worth it, prices are almost the same, why don't you check?"

Not in Thailand now. Wanting to do advance checking with people who know. Glean from info offered. Save time once I'm back. Thanks for responding.

guzzi850m2, on 09 Jan 2015 - 06:24, said:guzzi850m2, on 09 Jan 2015 - 06:24, said:
Faz, on 04 Jan 2015 - 07:41, said:Faz, on 04 Jan 2015 - 07:41, said:

Try reading the OP's opening thread before you comment.

Quote:

Considering a surprise purchase of a moped for fiancée when I next visit end of Jan.

Prefer a new purchase for warranty and ease of purchase.

So it is an investment in more ways than one for the OP and he is looking for new for reliability and warranty.

Are you always so rude with your replies?

Now wipe that egg off your face, it makes you look stupid.

Edited by Faz

RENT ONE. The first Honda Wave cost 2,500 B @ a Honda shop and was almost new. Then
I got a private deal for 1,000 B for an old one. Ask around. Way to go in your situation, IMHO.

I took my rental to Honda and had it serviced a few times. Forget the owner - doubt she would care.

As for a LIFAN, consider depreciation (resale value) and ease of a sale. You can sell a
Honda pdq at the right price. Unlike a LIFAN.