Replace Hard Drive/Different OS

55Jay

My WD HDD is about to go in my 6~7 year old Dell XPS 420, running genuine Windows Vista. I've got all the original discs but frankly, not interested in reloading Vista onto a new HD. Files on external storage, so I'm "ready" when this HD does give up the ghost, only thing I'll miss is my good old MS Office, which I use daily.

I have a spare hard drive from a disused computer, and it has (licensed) Windows 7 on it as well as a good MS Office suite. Perfect.

Connected this Win7 HD to the Dell XPS, it starts, but when the Win 7 start up graphic shows up, it freezes, goes to a screen that asks me if I want to load Windows 7, hit enter, then computer starts looping in this re-start sequence.

I've let Start Up Repair run but says it can't fix the problem.

The extent of my knowledge is once installing a new hard drive in and reloading the same OS from the original Windows CD.

Is there something else I can do to get this Win7 OS working in my Dell XPS tower?

Actually it's not a problem if you are a radical thinker. But to put aside your misconception.... Unless you have the Windows 7 product key, the installation on the 'new' hard drive is not licenced. If you have the Product Keys, then you can reinstal Windows 7 and the Office Suite anyway.

Do you have them or not?

If not, it may still be possible to retrieve them.

If your windows versions were pre-installed by the manufacturer then moving Windows from one hardware to another is generally not possible - even if you have the key. Windows OEM (original equipment manufacturer) versions are tied to the specific hardware of the machine it's installed on and will not boot/run on any other machine - even the same manufacturer and model.

If you have the CD's and key for the Win7 you might be able to install it - depending on how many times a fresh install is allowed by the licence you got with it.

• Like 1

Putting HDD from another pc will not boot your laptop, most likely. And it is not supposed to.

Buy a new SSD, solid state drive, it will speed up your pc like you wouldn't believe. Then buy a Win7 on disk, and install it.

Or, if you want to keep your current HDD, just go out and buy Win7, and install it.

Trying to move your bootable hard drive to a new machine usually don't work because when Windows installed itself it loaded a bunch of drivers/files specific to the computer it was in previous....drivers/files that will make a different computer fall flat on its face...usually not even boot because Windows detects something fishy is going it especially when it senses different BIOS. Generally, you would need to do a new install of Windows. And even if it did happen to struggle through the initial boot and get some correct hardware drivers loaded you may not be able to activate Windows unless it was a full version of Windows that came with its own disks; otherwise, it probably an OEM version tied to the original machine. If you can get Windows to load properly but just not activate you can call Windows Support and they may give you a new activation key depending on your reason....I've done that twice over my computer lifetime....once for a OEM version of Windows and once for a full version of Windows.

The full version of Windows just wouldn't activate even though it should have...I called MS...they gave me a new activation key, but it still wouldn't activate...I then allowed them to take long distrance control of my computer and they did some magic to make it accept the key. The OEM version of Windows I bought off Ebay, installed it on a new computer, the computer died and I took it back to the retailer who gave me a new replacement, when trying to reload the OEM Windows it would load OK but I couldn't activate...called Windows support...told them the story...they gave me a new activation number...I was pleasantly surprised as I thought they would say no to giving me a new activation number since an OEM Windows version is suppose to be tied forever to the original motherboard it was installed with, but I guess MS felt sorry for me and my new computer problem.

I like paying for my stuff and you never know what kind of virus / backdoors are installed if you use a cracked version. But it does get quite boring that its so hard to reinstall a version of windows if some part of your system dies. I normally never buy OEM because of this problem. But even with NON OEM you have to contact microsoft again to help you activate it again.

That is a big pain in the ass.

Trying to move your bootable hard drive to a new machine usually don't work because when Windows installed itself it loaded a bunch of drivers/files specific to the computer it was in previous....drivers/files that will make a different computer fall flat on its face...usually not even boot because Windows detects something fishy is going it especially when it senses different BIOS. Generally, you would need to do a new install of Windows. And even if it did happen to struggle through the initial boot and get some correct hardware drivers loaded you may not be able to activate Windows unless it was a full version of Windows that came with its own disks; otherwise, it probably an OEM version tied to the original machine. If you can get Windows to load properly but just not activate you can call Windows Support and they may give you a new activation key depending on your reason....I've done that twice over my computer lifetime....once for a OEM version of Windows and once for a full version of Windows.

The full version of Windows just wouldn't activate even though it should have...I called MS...they gave me a new activation key, but it still wouldn't activate...I then allowed them to take long distrance control of my computer and they did some magic to make it accept the key. The OEM version of Windows I bought off Ebay, installed it on a new computer, the computer died and I took it back to the retailer who gave me a new replacement, when trying to reload the OEM Windows it would load OK but I couldn't activate...called Windows support...told them the story...they gave me a new activation number...I was pleasantly surprised as I thought they would say no to giving me a new activation number since an OEM Windows version is suppose to be tied forever to the original motherboard it was installed with, but I guess MS felt sorry for me and my new computer problem.

I like paying for my stuff and you never know what kind of virus / backdoors are installed if you use a cracked version. But it does get quite boring that its so hard to reinstall a version of windows if some part of your system dies. I normally never buy OEM because of this problem. But even with NON OEM you have to contact microsoft again to help you activate it again.

All of those problems are easy enough to fix....without the need for crude hacks. Of course the issue is that most people don't know how, so they go with what they know.

• Like 1

All of those problems are easy enough to fix....without the need for crude hacks. Of course the issue is that most people don't know how, so they go with what they know.

I am not saying its not fixable.. its just bad that you have to contact Microsoft to re-install your own paid for windows. I have always been able to fix it but its boring that if you change motherboard.. or hard-drive (or some other parts) you will have to call Microsoft and put some time into it. Their protection is making it less friendly for a paid for user vs one that uses a cracked version.

Thank you to all who responded.

Both hard drives came in the typical off-the-shelf computer, loaded with their respective, genuine OS. I have all the CDs and Keys around here, will dig them out.

I also have the MS Office 2003 CD, unfortunately it's tapped out on the new install quota. This is why I'm trying to use this spare Win7 HD "as is", because I previously installed MS Office 2003 on it from this same CD-ROM. In fact, the Dell XPS' failing HD also has Office '03 from the same install CD.

If there's a way, I'm game to try. It's not the end of the world nor is it a cost avoidance issue. It's really about saving the MS Office 2003 Suite, the "comfortable old shoe" syndrome.

I am not saying its not fixable.. its just bad that you have to contact Microsoft to re-install your own paid for windows. I have always been able to fix it but its boring that if you change motherboard.. or hard-drive (or some other parts) you will have to call Microsoft and put some time into it. Their protection is making it less friendly for a paid for user vs one that uses a cracked version.

I stating that you don't need to call Microsoft in the first place. Of course there are sensible reasons why they do it their way...so it's not really bad at all. smile.png

Both hard drives came in the typical off-the-shelf computer, loaded with their respective, genuine OS. I have all the CDs and Keys around here, will dig them out.

I also have the MS Office 2003 CD, unfortunately it's tapped out on the new install quota. This is why I'm trying to use this spare Win7 HD "as is", because I previously installed MS Office 2003 on it from this same CD-ROM. In fact, the Dell XPS' failing HD also has Office '03 from the same install CD.

If there's a way, I'm game to try. It's not the end of the world nor is it a cost avoidance issue. It's really about saving the MS Office 2003 Suite, the "comfortable old shoe" syndrome.

Sorry no can do. You will have to reformat the drive and reinstall windows. Seriously only thing you can do. Unless the computers have the exact same hardware, wont work. Reloading Windows is a breeze.

You don't have an install quota. If it will no longer be installed on one of the machines, your quota is restored.

Do you have a USB Flash drive to hand? Is the old HDD still attached to the machine?

• Like 1

You could install the new hard drive as a " slave" clean up the old hard drive leaving only the OS and staying as the "Master"

I tried that years ago with a broken XP and another XP on a HDD out of another broken box. The theory is to run the native broken XP and try to copy over the bits that were broken from the "good" XP which was plugged in by usb. I could see everything, but even in XP there's a gazillion files deep in the system and it is really not possible to know which ones are tied to the hardware, so if you copy over a file from the usb mounted system which is "tied" - then you make the original problem worse. :( The final straw was after copying forwards and backwards for a few days I thought it was all working fine. Then I tried a reboot -- FAIL! :(bah.gif

• Like 1

You cannot just plug and play hard drives into another computer and have them work, just doesnt happen with normal computers unless they are EXACTLY the same.

Also, you cannot just copy software from one hard drive to another. Again as with Windows, you must install the software into the new computer.

Your easiest and fastest remedy is to load a new operating system and new office suite.

• Like 1

You don't have an install quota. If it will no longer be installed on one of the machines, your quota is restored.

Do you have a USB Flash drive to hand? Is the old HDD still attached to the machine?

Sorry, been bouncing between patio BBQ operations with the BKK tribe here visiting, and now it's late.

I was thinking along the lines of what most others are saying - no can do.

However I'm game and if you'll be around tomorrow and still willing, I'll have a USB Flash handy and I'll locate the Windows CDs while I'm at it. I'm still using the dying HDD for now so yes, it's still attached to the native Dell XPS 420 tower.

Tx, Rgds,

J

Sorry, been bouncing between patio BBQ operations with the BKK tribe here visiting, and now it's late.

However I'm game and if you'll be around tomorrow and still willing, I'll have a USB Flash handy and I'll locate the Windows CDs while I'm at it. I'm still using the dying HDD for now so yes, it's still attached to the native Dell XPS 420 tower.

Tx, Rgds,

J

You don't need the discs, just the keys.

Though to be frank, you don't need them either. I just wanted to be sure that you had OEM licences for them.

Make sure that there is nothing on the flash drive.

Putting HDD from another pc will not boot your laptop, most likely. And it is not supposed to.

Buy a new SSD, solid state drive, it will speed up your pc like you wouldn't believe. Then buy a Win7 on disk, and install it.

Or, if you want to keep your current HDD, just go out and buy Win7, and install it.

Why W7. Wait til W10 comes out.

Tx, Rgds,

J

You don't need the discs, just the keys.

Though to be frank, you don't need them either. I just wanted to be sure that you had OEM licences for them.

Make sure that there is nothing on the flash drive.

Send me a PM when you are ready to go.

Unbelievable. I can not locate the disc/docs/product keys for the HP computer the spare HD belongs to. Odd because I save all the booklets and CDs when I buy a computer, still have stuff from computers I don't have anymore. All my gear came over in a large household goods shipment so I have 1 other box to find and check.

Send me a PM when you are ready to go.

Unbelievable. I can not locate the disc/docs/product keys for the HP computer the spare HD belongs to. Odd because I save all the booklets and CDs when I buy a computer, still have stuff from computers I don't have anymore. All my gear came over in a large household goods shipment so I have 1 other box to find and check.

As I stated before, you don't need them.

• Like 1

Thanks to all the respondents.

When this HD dies, I've decided to reinstall Vista on the spare HD using the Visa reinstall CD, and try to rescue the MS Office from its CD as well.

If my old Office can't be saved, oh well, welcome to 2015.

Will hang on with Vista until Win10 comes out, see what that's like. I like Win7 on two other machines I have, just not very interested in Win8.

Again, thanks for the comments, suggestions and offers of help.