Why Hua Hin?

bbqboy

The traffic and dogs are problems all over Thailand not just HH, did you visit anywhere else?

As you mention no central planning you obviously don't have much experience of Thailand in general.

Edited by darrendsd
  • Like 2

In plain speaking English, what TF does this actually mean, We're travel bloggers

Have you ever spent any time in HH?

Have you ever been in Thailand?

Or you one of these new Digital Nomads we keep hearing about?

The same ones who plaigiarise, copy and paste, and knock out a review from some place like Cambo?

• Like 1

Ukrules - appreciate your perspective

Soibiker - Came on a recommendation and were locked in our rental.

darrendsd - Have been in Nong Khai for a month and some pretty nice sidewalks here. But yes, I know..

Where is this nice sidewalk you speak of?...

In a way OP is right. All over Thailand there is litter, dogs, dirt, noise, holes everywhere. Name some more if you like.

Nasty maybe if you are a tourist? 'We expats' got used to it after a couple of years (really?).

Even Hua Hin is a good place to be. You'd rather like the pollution in Chiang Mai? Come over here. Terriffic nice city, but has it's disadvantages too.

If you are not happy with yourself, you cannot be happy in another place as well.

• Like 1

Hi OP

You make some valid points and I enjoyed reading the article on your site.

I've lived in Hua Hin for the past year but there are some things you mention which I don't agree with.

I wouldn't say that Hua Hin is any dirtier than anywhere else in Thailand. I agree the beach near the Hilton needs cleaning but in that beach you probably chose the worst beach of the lot in the area. The beaches south of town are much nicer.

In fact I'd say (I could be wrong) but it sounds like the parts of Hua Hin you mention in your article are really on the very touristy parts - the places that get really busy with tourists at the weekend, where you pay tourist prices in restaurants and the places which expats and people staying here long term seldom visit.

With regards to central planning, I agree that the choices made by the planning department in Hua Hin (if it even exists) leave a lot to be desired - see the new road layout down at Soi 116 as an example.

The traffic isn't that bad and only gets bad at the weekends, with tourists from Bangkok. It's bad now but that's because of the time of year. The other 10 months of the year isn't too bad at all and the longer you live here the more you know of how to avoid the traffic blackspots.

I actually don't know any expats who live in the areas you talk about in your article.

As for stray dogs in Hua Hin - show me somewhere in Thailand that doesn't have a problem with stray dogs.

(How long have you been in Thailand and how much of Thailand have you actually seen?)

The reason I like Hua Hin that is that it isn't Phuket or Pattaya, is it a bit quieter and not nearly as sleazy as those two places. You ask people in Pattaya and Phuket what they think about the local traffic.

In Hua Hin, there's a good choice of shops, restuarants, schools and it's expanding all the time. There's a massive new shopping mall being built, a couple of new international schools and rumour has it that Central Festival will come to Hua Hin in the next 18 months.

It's within easy reach of BKK and the south and for that reason there are few better places to live than Hua Hin. Venture out into the country and we've got two of Thailand's largest national parks on our doorstep, which are both stunning.

Whilst I think Hua Hin is a good place to live, I actually wouldn't recommend it as a tourist destination, certainly not for any more than a week as there isn't enough to do.

You stayed for 5 weeks!!!! That's where you went wrong. 5 weeks is too long for a holiday but not long enough to try and experience living as an expat. You've just been on a long boring holiday. You could have chosen maybe 15 other provinces in Thailand in which to do that.

How you can write an article offering advice on Hua Hin as a retirement destination when you've only spent 5 weeks there I'm not quite sure.

Maybe you were just chasing SEO which you allude to in your article, but it's really not fair to judge somewhere as a destination for long term living when you yourself has only spent a little time there.

But then again you can have an argument on which destination in Thailand is best all day long. What's suitable for one person, won't be for another etc.

I've lived in Cha Am and Chiang Mai prior to moving here and I prefer Hua Hin to both of those places. Actually, the traffic in Chiang Mai was terrible in the year I was there and don't get me started on the air quality, other than that Chiang Mai is a nice place to live.

But then again I'm 30 and a long way off retirement. I have a young family and work in Hua Hin town centre. Living here is just fine for me but each to there own.

• Like 2

Cha-am, Pranburi both lovely area just a quick trip from 'Hua Hin' town.

I'm not a fan of the city, but if you're within 30 minutes of the centown ter you've got everything you need.

Personally I'd never lock in 5 weeks anywhere in the world, first week *maybe* and then discover the the best part for me by myself of myself.

But them I bicycle for 150 days around 77 provinces and only booked 1 night in advance the whole trip.

Did you travel down to Prachaup Khiri Khan, now there is a lovely little town only 100km from Hua Hin.

You hit the nail on the head Paul, I drove into PKK for the first time on the 5th of January last year. We instantly fell in love with the town and in March my wife and myself relocated from Ubon Ratchathai to Prachuap. Yes it has stray dogs like any where else but it is a super clean town, beautiful beaches that you can have to your self, cheap seafood and the list goes on. The local Thais and Westerners here are very friendly and always willing to help. That's my view on this beautiful part of Thailand.

Edited by AliasJohn
  • Like 2

We have been staying in HH 4-5 months every year for 6 years and here are the reasons:

1. We have a nice house in a lovely community of about 25 houses with different nationalities about 5 km outside of the city center.

2. The weather here is a lot better than anywhere in Thailand: dry in the winter with little rain and no floodings. Also better than in south Europe which would have been an alternative but too cold...

3. We consider the area very safe and do not experience any criminal activities

4. HH is only a 2 hours drive from Bangkok and 2.5 hours from the airport

5. Needless to say it is less touristy than Pattaya and Phuket

6. We are golfers and have a choice of 8 different beautiful golf courses nearby

7. Lots of nice small thai restaurants around and staff welcoming you with a smile

8. The roads have improved a lot the recent year

Am writing this on my terrace with a beautiful mountain view and no stray dogs around wink.png but of course they are here and there and also agree that the town should employ some people to clean up all the plastic bags flying around. I was in New York recently and thought this city was dirty...

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head Paul, I drove into PKK for the first time on the 5th of January last year. We instantly fell in love with the town and in March my wife and myself relocated from Ubon Ratchathai to Prachuap. Yes it has stray dogs like any where else but it is a super clean town, beautiful beaches that you can have to your self, cheap seafood and the list goes on. The local Thais and Westerners here are very friendly and always willing to help. That's my view on this beautiful part of Thailand.

I agree totally about PKK, but I was only there for about five days. Great beach, but the town behind the beach seemed a bit drab (for an expat), but no worse than any other small town in Thailand.

Please list some of the things that make PKK desirable for an ex-pat to live there. How about farang food or restaurants?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

In plain speaking English, what TF does this actually mean, We're travel bloggers

Have you ever spent any time in HH?

Have you ever been in Thailand?

Or you one of these new Digital Nomads we keep hearing about?

The same ones who plaigiarise, copy and paste, and knock out a review from some place like Cambo?

Seems like You have been here for too long with Your negative attiude.

Cambo = Cambodia I presume.

wink.pngwink.png

Some people will take this post the wrong way. It's not meant to offend. We were in Hua Hin for 5 weeks and although we appreciated all the amenities available to foreigners there were too many things about the town that turned us off: the traffic, the dirtiness, the selling out of the entire beach area to the Hilton/Centara Grande. The pier looks like its about to break apart and is just swarming with stray dogs. There doesn't seem to be any central planning.

We're travel bloggers and wrote about it here in more detail: http://bbqboy.net/things-consider-retiring-hua-hin-thailand-isnt-us/. I'm curious really about why people retire in Hua Hin. Have I missed something? Do most long term residents actually live in town or along the coast a little further from downtown? Do you enjoy life in Hua Hin and if so why?

Appreciate any feedback.

It is a 3rd world country dude, go to Cambodia or Laos and you will think Hau Hin is the nicest place on earth.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hi OP

You make some valid points and I enjoyed reading the article on your site.

I've lived in Hua Hin for the past year but there are some things you mention which I don't agree with.

I wouldn't say that Hua Hin is any dirtier than anywhere else in Thailand. I agree the beach near the Hilton needs cleaning but in that beach you probably chose the worst beach of the lot in the area. The beaches south of town are much nicer.

In fact I'd say (I could be wrong) but it sounds like the parts of Hua Hin you mention in your article are really on the very touristy parts - the places that get really busy with tourists at the weekend, where you pay tourist prices in restaurants and the places which expats and people staying here long term seldom visit.

With regards to central planning, I agree that the choices made by the planning department in Hua Hin (if it even exists) leave a lot to be desired - see the new road layout down at Soi 116 as an example.

The traffic isn't that bad and only gets bad at the weekends, with tourists from Bangkok. It's bad now but that's because of the time of year. The other 10 months of the year isn't too bad at all and the longer you live here the more you know of how to avoid the traffic blackspots.

I actually don't know any expats who live in the areas you talk about in your article.

As for stray dogs in Hua Hin - show me somewhere in Thailand that doesn't have a problem with stray dogs.

(How long have you been in Thailand and how much of Thailand have you actually seen?)

The reason I like Hua Hin that is that it isn't Phuket or Pattaya, is it a bit quieter and not nearly as sleazy as those two places. You ask people in Pattaya and Phuket what they think about the local traffic.

In Hua Hin, there's a good choice of shops, restuarants, schools and it's expanding all the time. There's a massive new shopping mall being built, a couple of new international schools and rumour has it that Central Festival will come to Hua Hin in the next 18 months.

It's within easy reach of BKK and the south and for that reason there are few better places to live than Hua Hin. Venture out into the country and we've got two of Thailand's largest national parks on our doorstep, which are both stunning.

Whilst I think Hua Hin is a good place to live, I actually wouldn't recommend it as a tourist destination, certainly not for any more than a week as there isn't enough to do.

You stayed for 5 weeks!!!! That's where you went wrong. 5 weeks is too long for a holiday but not long enough to try and experience living as an expat. You've just been on a long boring holiday. You could have chosen maybe 15 other provinces in Thailand in which to do that.

How you can write an article offering advice on Hua Hin as a retirement destination when you've only spent 5 weeks there I'm not quite sure.

Maybe you were just chasing SEO which you allude to in your article, but it's really not fair to judge somewhere as a destination for long term living when you yourself has only spent a little time there.

But then again you can have an argument on which destination in Thailand is best all day long. What's suitable for one person, won't be for another etc.

I've lived in Cha Am and Chiang Mai prior to moving here and I prefer Hua Hin to both of those places. Actually, the traffic in Chiang Mai was terrible in the year I was there and don't get me started on the air quality, other than that Chiang Mai is a nice place to live.

But then again I'm 30 and a long way off retirement. I have a young family and work in Hua Hin town centre. Living here is just fine for me but each to there own.

Where did You read:

"How you can write an article offering advice on Hua Hin as a retirement destination when you've only spent 5 weeks there I'm not quite sure"

It would be a big advantage if people read the subject propper, before answering.

Have you travelled the area around as well, the beautiful national parks as well? Whenever I visit Hua Hin these days, I like to go a bit more South, about 30 km to Pranburi, much quieter, the beach is nicer, some great seafood restaurants.

Ukrules - appreciate your perspective

Soibiker - Came on a recommendation and were locked in our rental.

darrendsd - Have been in Nong Khai for a month and some pretty nice sidewalks here. But yes, I know..

We're travel bloggers ...

"Soibiker - Came on a recommendation and were locked in our rental."

Did you read the recommendation on a travel blog? Probably indicative of the value of travel blogs & random recommendations ... and rather strange that a seasoned "travel blogger" would blindly commit to a long term stay,post his experience on his blog, and then somewhat belatedly seek opinions about a place he's already been & written about.

And five weeks in a place without exploring further afield to find more better beaches or less tacky venues?

Quite a strategy and stellar résumé. Is your blogger mission statement equally impressive?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2