How To Avoid Problems?

Hey guys,

I'm a single, healthy 60+ US pensioner with Bht 40k-45k/mo looking to start new in Thailand and want some advice. For past 5 years I've extended my tourist visa here in Philippines, but am exiting to BKK in a few days. Normally, I treat myself yearly to a vacation near my birthday, and upon arrival back into the country simply begin again with Immigration. My direct deposits & debit cards are here. I spend a lot of time online working on my tourism website business, and have uploaded 150+ YouTube videos.

Reading these forum posts indicate to me that things are not as easy as Immigration matters in the Philippines seem to be. I'm planning to donate considerable time at the UN ESCAP, and attend a UN function 1st week of Feb in Cambodia, before returning to BKK. Hostels seem to be the way to go until I learn what I'm doing. I may have to go find software developers in India & Bangladesh in April, before returning again to BKK. This is all I know for now, and hope someone reading here will teach me how to easily stay here a long time. By the way, will I require an ongoing ticket?

The upcoming replies to this post will be interestng to read. I hope you can find a way, because with that kind of an income (too low) you really need to find some extra good advise here. First thing that comes to mind is, get married with a thai lady and 40.000 baht a month in income will do it and you will also be able to work legally here if you get permits of course....

Good luck I did find it a bit expensier here in Thailand than in the Philippines, a quite bit actually!!! So 40.000 baht in income, can be a hard stone to swallow for you.

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 2

It seems most of your upcoming trips could be done by getting a 30 day visa exempt entry when you arrive.

For a longer stay here you could get an extension of stay based upon retirement. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income by of an income affidavit from the embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You will need a non-o visa entry or do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry to apply.

• Like 1

You may think about starting off in Cambodia. An 84 year old friend of mine just found a decent place in Siem Reap for US$70 a month with no Internet. Visa are simple. Asd for an ordinary visa at the airport. Do NOT go to an embassy to get a visa. A six month multi entry is US$185, A one year multi entry is around $290 . You can work. Internet is better in Cambodia than Thailand. Much more positive and upbeat expat community.

There are pitfalls. Fake $100 bills comimg out of ATMs. Infrastructure is not so good. Power outages do happen.

Thailand is difficult at this time with regards to visas. It is not as welcoming as it use to be.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You state your pension income but don't address if you could easily deposit 800K THB in a Thailand bank.

They are two entirely different matters.

If he has a verifiable income of Baht 40,000 a month from a foreign source such as US Social Security or a pension and plans to eventually apply for a extension of stay based on retirement, he wouldn't need Baht 800,000 in a Thai bank, so they really aren't two different matters. If his embassy verifies the Baht 40,000 a month, he would use that income along with Baht 320,000 in the bank for two months.

40-45k a month is doable here, you won't have the most lavish of lifestyles but it's enough

He seems to be asking about immigrations rather than his lfestyle (although what uploading 150 YouTube videos has to do with anything is a mystery). Baht 40,000 a month would indeed allow only a fairly austere lifestyle especially in Bangkok, and whether or not he thinks he's a healthy 60, it might prove totally inadequate if/when he needs medical attention.

...hope someone reading here will teach me how to easily stay here a long time. By the way, will I require an ongoing ticket?

To the O/P, your post is rather rambling and filled with things like your YouTube video downloads that would be of no interest to posters here or to immigrations.

It's not really clear what you mean by "stay here a long time." When you are travelling in and of Thailand you could manage with a visa exempt entry at the airport. Just show them your US passport and they'll give you permission to stay in Thailand for 30 days,

If/when you are ready to settle in Thailand, it would be best to get a non-imm O visa at a Thai embassy or consulate in a neighboring country. During the last 30 days of your permission to stay on that visa entry, you could go to the immigration office in the area where you are staying and apply for a year's extension of stay. From what you've said, the biggest hurdle for doing that will be that you need Baht 800,000 in provable income or on deposit in a Thai bank or a combination of the two that totals Baht 800,000 for the year.

While working on a tourism site website from your home would probably not be a problem, if you are working in Thailand and claiming income that you earn in Thailand rather than from foreign source, that will be a problem and is not something usually allowed while on a extension based on retirement.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Why don't you consult with the authorities?

The "authorities" could not say anything that this forum can't.

ubonjoe has answered this already as follows:

It seems most of your upcoming trips could be done by getting a 30 day visa exempt entry when you arrive.

For a longer stay here you could get an extension of stay based upon retirement. You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income by of an income affidavit from the embassy or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

You will need a non-o visa entry or do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry to apply.

• Like 1

Is it so difficult to look at the official Thai Govenment web sites and work out if you can stay in the Kingdom?

Or rely on the advice of a public forum- there are some excellent people who advise about visa difficulties on this site - its not hard - just stick to the rules.

• Like 1

Is it so difficult to look at the official Thai Govenment web sites and work out if you can stay in the Kingdom?

Or rely on the advice of a public forum- there are some excellent people who advise about visa difficulties on this site - its not hard - just stick to the rules.

It is difficult, as the Thai gov/t websites are poorly organized, translated and updated, they do not provide comprehensive answers, let alone individual support. Including the immigration phone helpline.

For these reasons this forum is the main resource of information for foreigners.

• Like 2

" He seems to be asking about immigrations rather than his lfestyle (although what uploading 150 YouTube videos has to do with anything is a mystery). Baht 40,000 a month would indeed allow only a fairly austere lifestyle especially in Bangkok, and whether or not he thinks he's a healthy 60, it might prove totally inadequate if/when he needs medical attention."

For those that are not aware the 150 youtube postings he's talking about is probably that if you have a youtiube page and post videos and they receive a lot of hits/views you get paid for the number of views. Advertizers post adds on the page and you get paid thats why guys do videos on living in Thailand, Phillippines , how to build this or that ect.

• Like 1

Advice please, I came to thailand for 2 month break from Australia over university holidays & because my return ticket was for late February , I presumed immigration at airport would give me a 2 mth stay; however on looking at my passport a few days later notice stamp was for 4 wks. Immigration didn't speak a word to me at the airport, we use to get automatic 3 months visas at airport . What's going on?

Advice please, I came to thailand for 2 month break from Australia over university holidays & because my return ticket was for late February , I presumed immigration at airport would give me a 2 mth stay; however on looking at my passport a few days later notice stamp was for 4 wks. Immigration didn't speak a word to me at the airport, we use to get automatic 3 months visas at airport . What's going on?

Do you have tourist visa from an embassy or consulate that would give you a 60 day entry. If yes you should go to an immigration to have the stamp corrected.

If not you got the normal 30 day visa exempt entry that you can get unless your have a visa. You can extend the 30 days for 30 day at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

you run a travel tourism business online , by the sounds of it your successfull in that, you also attend regular UN functions nationally, you travel to india and bangledesh . though you stay in hostels ?

anyway i guess that you get a retirement visa based on your income 45k a month plus you need 800.000 in bank evry year when renewing. though im sure the guys on here will give you the best and most up to date advise.

just my two bobs worth

Edited by dirtycash
  • Like 1

There has never been "automatic 3 months visas" for Australians coming to Thailand. You must be confusing it with some other country. By the way, nowhere in the world the date of you tickets has any relevance with the time allowed in a country. You buy tickets depending on the allowed stay, not vice-versa.

40-45k a month is doable here, you won't have the most lavish of lifestyles but it's enough

second that. My wife and I live in a nice condo in CM - shop at localmarkets + Makro, drive new bike (no car), eat out once per week and live for about 40,000 B per month

• Like 1

I'm thanking everyone who replied here, and see there is a consensus on many pieces of information provided. Someone working online, especially on youtube, would want FAST and consistent internet access. To me, this indicates more than that USB dongle plugged into the side of your laptop. Some hostels would provide such access. In many countries such as the P.I. you can rent whatever housing you can afford, regardles of your visa status. What about in Thailand? If you rent here, and want a FAST internet connection, what should one expect? Are there popular internet service providers one can subscribe to without 1-2 year lockin contracts? It is extremely difficult to have your mobile phone SIM card activated in India with only a tourist visa. Many tourists pay a local to obtain service and then transfer the SIM card data to you. What about in Thailand?

In the Philippines you renew your tourist visa every two months and are not required to exit the country until after 1.5 years. Someone just arriving into the Kingdom with plans on staying several years would want to quickly learn the procedures likely to be low cost and efficient. It appears one can obtain a tourist visa for a total of six months, so if correct then must resort to "Plan-B". Should one expect to be required to participate in some "visa run" and if so then how often? Reading here we learn there are many types of visas, including multiple entry visas for those requiring such. People in other countries reading here for advice would surely want to know this, so their travel plans can be constructed based upon information from "reliable sources".

Most major cities worldwide are more expensive than living in the surrounding areas, so perhaps recommendations about where most expats live nearby but not directly inside BKK would help the less affluent. Near adequate transportation for a newly arrived expat living outside BKK means where public transportation is available. One can always be a commuter, especially if the entire one way trip was say, under 2 hours.

If a person is required to produce Bht 800K, that would indicate an underground market for renting and obtaining CD's for fulfilling the requirements. Anyone have stories about possible money game pitfalls?

As for working in the Kingdom, the internet opens doors for all of us to share or sell our knowledge, skills and experiences. Just as this thaivisa website allows us to network and share knowledge and experiences.

In many countries such as the P.I. you can rent whatever housing you can afford, regardles of your visa status. What about in Thailand? If you rent here, and want a FAST internet connection, what should one expect? Are there popular internet service providers one can subscribe to without 1-2 year lockin contracts? It is extremely difficult to have your mobile phone SIM card activated in India with only a tourist visa. Many tourists pay a local to obtain service and then transfer the SIM card data to you. What about in Thailand?

In the Philippines you renew your tourist visa every two months and are not required to exit the country until after 1.5 years. Someone just arriving into the Kingdom with plans on staying several years would want to quickly learn the procedures likely to be low cost and efficient. It appears one can obtain a tourist visa for a total of six months, so if correct then must resort to "Plan-B". Should one expect to be required to participate in some "visa run" and if so then how often?

Yes you can rent whatever on any visa. Yes Truemove, TOT, 3bb, Sinet, plenty of internet companies. You could always cancel a 1 year contract and pay the cancellation fee. No issue to activate a SIM card with any visa.

You can get a triple entry for 9 months total. 6 months is double entry.

Border runs every 90 days.

Can someone add how a US citizen gets proof of income from a US Embassy to satisfy the income requirement for Thailand Immigration? I've heard it's a matter of swearing your monthly income amounts to being done on a "good faith" admission vs. actually showing documentation. I looked at the US Embassy posting but couldn't find the specific requirement or how I can address this issue to the Embassy staff.

Can someone add how a US citizen gets proof of income from a US Embassy to satisfy the income requirement for Thailand Immigration? I've heard it's a matter of swearing your monthly income amounts to being done on a "good faith" admission vs. actually showing documentation. I looked at the US Embassy posting but couldn't find the specific requirement or how I can address this issue to the Embassy staff.

You do an income affidavit. Info: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/notarial-services.html#income_affidavit

You will have to make an appointment online to get it done. http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

Although not a response to the OP this query is related to retirement in Thailand. Recently I went for renewal of retirement extension in Dec 2014 at Nong Khai Immigration they were requesting people sign paperwork (which they have obviously designed themselves) to transfer any pension income whether it be 65,000 THB per month or part thereof to be brought in to a Thai bank on a monthly basis. This appears to only happen at Nong Khai Immigration where as previously an affidavit of monthly income was sufficient with the money being allowed to stay in their home country until they require it. Has anyone run in to this elsewhere in Thailand.