Concerns over heavy alcohol consumption during New Year holidays

Lite Beer

Concerns over heavy alcohol consumption during New Year holidays
By Digital Content

14202611616306-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 3 -- Understanding that many New Year partygoers have consumed significant amounts of alcohol during the five-day New Year holidays and many are preparing to drive back to the capital to resume work next Monday, Public Health Minister Dr Rajata Rajatanavin urged them to consume a large amount of warm beverages and not to drive while feeling drowsy.

Dr Rajata said that a number of New Year celebrants have consumed large volumes of alcohol and may not have had enough sleep.

They should rest for at least eight hours before starting a journey in order to prevent road accidents.

Motorcyclists should always wear safety helmets while driving, he added.

Meanwhile, Dr Suphan Srithamma, director-general of the Public Health Ministry’s Medical Services Department, advised that those with hangovers should drink lots of clean water and warm drinks such as milk or easily digested food to help strengthened their bodies.

They should also consume sufficient meat, vegetables and fruits, said Dr Suphan, adding that heavy drinkers could suffer from health problems over the long-term if they do not look after their health properly.

Also, those suffering from health diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure must take medicines punctually as prescribed by their doctors, Dr Suphan added. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-01-03

Yawn... What those 'Dr's spend time and air telling! MDs in Thailand, no wonder they protect themselves making a Thai diploma compulsory to practise here, the products of Thai universities would be flushed away in a single pull when serious MDs from abroad would be allowed! The usual sad story: Thailand and quality, sigh...

P.S.: when it will, maybe, be changed with ASEAN, guess the next protectionist move will be to make it compulsory for MDs from abroad to have perfect spoken and written knowledge of Thai...

• Like 1

What exactly is 'sufficient meat'? Will vegetarians and vegans remain permanently drunk or will they just die? Doesn't sound right to me.

Having said that the comments in general are sensible and in particular the fact that alcohol takes time to leave the system. This often seems to be overlooked so it's good that he's pointed this out.

As the over consumption of alcohol and the possibility of causing death is covered in the 5 precepts of the Buddhist faith which is apparently well followed in Thailand maybe monks could use their influence by pointing this out. Anything that can help save lives and prevent injury has to be worth it.

• Like 2

Original and incisive comments (NOT). Dr Rajata needs some new script writers if he wants to be respected in his new position. Is eight hours sleep enough if you are paralytic? And I am happy to hear that clean water and warm milk are his recommended cures for hangovers. Also, I greatly appreciate the advice that those suffering from health diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure must take their medicines punctually... I might try it myself sometime !!!

It is sad that doctors here feel that they must speak down to their patients in such a condescending way.

• Like 1

At least give proper advice! Alright, Ill do it:

After a heavy sesh on the booze, drink at least half a litre (500ml) of drinking water. Take two paracetamol. Do all this just before bedtime. In the morning, have a 'double' eno. That is, two sachets of 'eno' in cold water. Drink it quick.

You wlll have no hangover (unless you drank 87 cans of beer or four bottles of whisky). Thank you and goodnight (hic)

Edited by Fatty123

So is this some new found revelation in Thailand? My sister-in-law can drink me under the table, as well as many in the village. I will take my fill and then sleep. There is always tomorrow.

But still I love them all, we can drink and talk, maybe it is a truth serum, in that many things come out.... what is good for the goose is good for the gander....

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Sounds like this doctor is specialized in common sense.

Glad he also had his 5 minutes of fame.

Interesting oxymoron. by design or just lucked out?

I always thought an oxymoron was the pairing of opposites like honest Thai cop or intelligent Thai politician? I can't see any oxymoron here only moron.

I always thought an oxymoron was the pairing of opposites like honest Thai cop or intelligent Thai politician? I can't see any oxymoron here only moron.

Where I come from an oxymoron is another name for a boilermaker. biggrin.png

And as far as the drinking business is concerned I blame the bloody farangs who have invaded Thailand, they drink way too much..........................hic ! burp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRx8h9ZhP6

Does the good doctor seriously suppose these idiots would listen to his advice, when they so blithely ignore the law? To put things in the Thal perspective, there were well-underage kids threatening to spew up in J Avenue, Thonglor, well before countdown was even close. Two police wandering (or perhaps wondering) around, completely aim(gorm)less, yet with at least one onsite establishment blatantly breaking the law, such as it is.

Yes its that too, first line is the oxymoron.. a doctor specialized in common sense. That is an oxymoron, they can be juxtaposed meanings , words or concepts and imagery.