National morals council is a bad idea

Lite Beer

A morals council, eh? Having a laugh, aren't they? Just another project to use as a tool for the personal gain of the organizers. Hope they don't start taking themselves too seriously and extend the reach of the fun and games and start busting too many heads.

It goes without saying that morality can't be enforced by govt.'s, schools, or even parents, it has to be inspired by upholding moral behavior with intelligence and compassion in one's own conduct. If people cannot desist from acting in a selfish and capricious manner in positions of responsibility, or anywhere else it is due to systemic and social problems that make upstanding moral behavior difficult to impossible. A government council on morality is at best just a public relations deception strategy or gone to far a tool to oppress people using morality as the excuse.

Where is the "morality" when you have a monk pull you to the side and show you pictures of pre-teen boys and girls, and let you know he can arrange one, or more, of them for you for the right price? And, yes, this happened with me some time back.

Sounds like a really weird pimp to me. biggrin.png

A morals council, eh? Having a laugh, aren't they? Just another project to use as a tool for the personal gain of the organizers. Hope they don't start taking themselves too seriously and extend the reach of the fun and games and start busting too many heads.

It goes without saying that morality can't be enforced by govt.'s, schools, or even parents, it has to be inspired by upholding moral behavior with intelligence and compassion in one's own conduct. If people cannot desist from acting in a selfish and capricious manner in positions of responsibility, or anywhere else it is due to systemic and social problems that make upstanding moral behavior difficult to impossible. A government council on morality is at best just a public relations deception strategy or gone to far a tool to oppress people using morality as the excuse.

Apparently it works quite well in some Middle Eastern Nations.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Apparently it works quite well in some Middle Eastern Nations.

Dont you believe it, it doesnt work in the Middle East. They are the worst ones for preaching one thing and doing the opposite.

• Like 1

I note several posts here mentioning Buddhism/morals. Please note the average Thai is about as Buddhist as my left butt cheek.

I agree with you , and it is the reason I get so pissed off when I read the stupid comments about Thai people breaking the law even though they are Buddhists.

The percentage of Thai people who are real, practicing Buddhists is about the same as the percentage of Catholics who attend church regularly. Most of the people who commit serious crimes in the west are some kind of religion, mostly Christians.

I was born a Roman Catholic and can count the amount of times I have entered a church in my whole life on one hand.

I have met some good Thai people in the past nine years, many of whom possess more morals than I will ever have.

"The proposal to set up a body to assess the ethics of public figures is not worthy of serious consideration"

Of course it is not worthy of any consideration as the majority of "public figures" do not have any morals, that's how they got to be where they are today.

Look to the people at "ground level", that's where all the morals are. Go and assess them.

• Like 2

People of every religion are the same. Do all Christians follow the true christian beliefs, or Muslims follow the true belief? Not a chance so why would anyone think everyone who calls them self a Buddhist will follow accepted Buddhist beliefs?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not only a bad idea, just a complete waste of time.

However a nice time filler for students not interested in learning.. Bore them.

I remember one evening in a Karaoke Club in Kuala Lumpur, when our room was invaded by members of the Religious Police.

Just 6 guys enjoying an evening out. I heard them all order "Pineapple Juice", so keeping in trim with the others I ordered a Coca Cola.

Two of the officers were taken aside and my host for the evening told me the Religious Police had told them there was vodka in their pineapple juice.

The two officers paid about $20 each and that was the end of the matter.

It was also the end of the evening because all the waitresses were taken elsewhere - there was no bill, presumably because the management had been lifted and were paying up large sums of money to some Religious Policeman's brown paper bag.

For those of you who have lived in any of the Gulf states - raids and inspections by squads of Religious Police are standard.

We REALLY REALLY don't want that kind of destruction of civil rights in Thailand.

• Like 1

I think Thailand should call upon former US President...Bill Clinton...to manage the moral council...his experience in this area would be invaluable...

Or his god fearing accuser, who was up to his groin in a woman who was not his wife.

Why is it I get the feeling this new "moral committee" along with their soon to follow after "moral police" will be mainly focused on farang venues that have nothing to do with morals but with farangs having a good time? I thought (hoped) I had left this kind of crap behind in the SE Texass bible belt.

Whoever thought up this little number is completely out in orbit , Thailand is slipping into a totalitarian state without Thaksin lifting a finger, more rules more B/S all for control, I'd keep an eye on Prayut-O and Co.coffee1.gif

Actually it continues....Thaksin, Army, Samak, Abhisit, Yingluck, Army, it started with Thaksin and continue to get worse with everyone no matter what party or if democratic or not

Where is the "morality" when you have a monk pull you to the side and show you pictures of pre-teen boys and girls, and let you know he can arrange one, or more, of them for you for the right price? And, yes, this happened with me some time back.

stealing a policeman's job again.

Isn't this really about having a professional code of ethics and morals which state how politicians and civil servants should behave, conduct themselves and what is and what is not appropriate?

Like "ethics and morals" committees in parliament etc?

The issue in Thailand is finding people with morals and ethics in the first place; and then a willingness to enforce whatever rules are agreed impartially and without favor. Good luck with that one.

Edited by Baerboxer

do thais know how rediculous all thier''ideas''sound...try this.......''clean up the beaches the tour buses mini vans and jst skis''..then think about a lengthy seminar at the ''sanctuary of truth'' with all the coroneys that pimped this country into the ground'...sawadee NO crap...

This country does not have any morals

Then it is up to us to teach them...but they really don't take us seriously either. Too many farangs roaming around looking for the wild thing....makes us all look like bad apples.I did not set much of an example New Years Eve....

Anyways....I read something nice....at a sign on a temple.

Not word for word, but it did essentially say that...

"One need not worry at all about whether the man next to you has a bad heart...

It is only your own heart that you need to fix."

Ok..bad translation, but I got the idea. It is Buddhist Doctrine to look into your own heart. That goes for the leaders as well. It is not their job to fix problems in the hearts of others......if they have a black heart..so be it. Make sure yours is a good one.

I like you very much. Happy New Year

More and more ideas on this and that all of which are a complete waste of time because CORRUPTION is the elephant in the room that no one is even making a feeble attempt at tackling. This country is going nowhere but backwards until they have a serious expunging of corruption with serious and rapid penalty, publication of such and a no tolerance policy towards it.

What is the point in telling children not to drink alcohol when all around them those in power are blind drunk and having a huge orgy. There is no way they will learn anything when the reality they see doesn't match the picture they are told is the way to live.

It is all so ignorant.

I like you.

I really don't think your experience is related to the topic. Every religion worldwide has it's bad apples. I won't mention the obvious religion that is the main offender, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Just sayin..... Cheers..... Mal.

• Like 2

The ruling elite of this country are seriously out of touch with reality.

Yes, but one should ask..... who's reality. Me thinks the elite of this country are very much in touch with "their reality"

Cheers..... Mal.