New Year accident death toll rises to 260 after five days

Lite Beer

New Year accident death toll rises to 260 after five days

BANGKOK: -- A total of 2,446 road accidents have occurred during the first five days of the seven accident-monitoring days for New Year holidays, killing 260 people and injuring 2,542 others, the Road Safety Center announced Sunday.

On Saturday, the fifth day of the monitoring period, 342 accidents occurred, killing 33 and injuring 379 others.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/New-Year-accident-death-toll-rises-to-260-after-fi-30251149.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-04

Still well under the daily average for 2014 - these dangerous days are the safest days to travel according to statistics

The average is well above normal for the provinces. Obviously Bangkok will be less due to it being so quiet.

The injuries are way above the norm.

Holiday road accident death toll reaches 260

BANGKOK, 4 January 2015 (NNT) – The road accident death toll during the five-day New Year long holiday stands at 260, most of them were killed in Chiang Mai province.

Deputy national police chief Pol.Lt.Gen. Suwira Songmetta said a total of 2,446 road accidents had taken place from 30 December 2014 - 3 January 2015 with the death toll of 260 and 2,542 injuries. There were five provinces with a zero death toll including Trang, Phatthalung, Narathiwat, Singburi and Nakhon Phanom. Chiang Mai had the highest number of road accidents or 109 times and the highest death toll of 14 people. It also had the highest number of injuries or 106 people.

Police officers have set up more check points on main roads leading to Bangkok while closely monitoring accident-prone routes, junctions, narrow roads and railroad crossings. Special attention has been paid to preventing dangerous driving behaviors such as drunk-driving, speeding and no use of safety equipment.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-04 footer_n.gif

Darwinism at it's finest.

coffee1.gif

Please think before making some kinda attempt at humour, which is really racism in disguise.

Have you any idea how many innocent people are killed or injured because of drunk drivers?

Racism?!? Sorry, are Al or Jesse posting on this forum?

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

Please think before making some kinda attempt at humour, which is really racism in disguise.

Have you any idea how many innocent people are killed or injured because of drunk drivers?

Racism?!? Sorry, are Al or Jesse posting on this forum?

Why, who are they?

Still well under the daily average for 2014 - these dangerous days are the safest days to travel according to statistics

The average is well above normal for the provinces. Obviously Bangkok will be less due to it being so quiet.

The national average has been between 55 and 60 deaths per day for several years now. The big holidays like this and Songkran have much lower numbers in general so I don't understand all the fuss, it seems relatively safe to travel now, despite the appalling numbers.

• Like 1

Reading the numbers - and they are very bad by any measure - but it seems there is a ratio of roughly 10 to 1 in reported accidents to actual deaths.

Anyone know if this is above/below or average compared to other countries.

I could google it, but there are enough rabid statisticians on TV to do that for me. tongue.png

• Like 1

I would argue that it is when the Bangkok roads are quieter that they are at their most dangerous. When the traffic is at a standstill due to the volume of traffic, relatively few people are killed or injured. It is only when drivers can go faster that serious injuries or deaths occur.

• Like 2

The national average has been between 55 and 60 deaths per day for several years now. The big holidays like this and Songkran have much lower numbers in general so I don't understand all the fuss, it seems relatively safe to travel now, despite the appalling numbers.

260 deaths and 2542 injuries in 5 days and you call it "relatively safe to travel now". That makes at least 2802 people that would not agree with you. Might even be a few more out there . . .

260 deaths and 2542 injuries in 5 days and you call it "relatively safe to travel now". That makes at least 2802 people that would not agree with you. Might even be a few more out there . . .

Those 2802 can't disagree anymore though. So by the logic of silence...

But seriously, the road toll is a national tragedy, and it seems that no one realizes it.

I try to always walk past people on the left for this reason - You can't see a car coming behind you if you're walking on the left side of the road, so you must walk further left than those who are walking in the opposite direction, and can see the traffic. If I'm walking on the right side of the road, I'll pass on the left too, as a courtesy for other's safety.

Despite that, Thai people still seem to like to walk past to the right of each other. I'm sure this literally backwards thinking has contributed to many casualties.

Those 2802 can't disagree anymore though. So by the logic of silence...

But seriously, the road toll is a national tragedy, and it seems that no one realizes it.

I try to always walk past people on the left for this reason - You can't see a car coming behind you if you're walking on the left side of the road, so you must walk further left than those who are walking in the opposite direction, and can see the traffic. If I'm walking on the right side of the road, I'll pass on the left too, as a courtesy for other's safety.

Despite that, Thai people still seem to like to walk past to the right of each other. I'm sure this literally backwards thinking has contributed to many casualties.

"

Despite that, Thai people still seem to like to walk past to the right of each other. I'm sure this literally backwards thinking has contributed to many casualties."

yes I noticed that and wondered many times if it is some superstition which forces them do that even cutting across your path to do that?

Reading the numbers - and they are very bad by any measure - but it seems there is a ratio of roughly 10 to 1 in reported accidents to actual deaths.

Anyone know if this is above/below or average compared to other countries.

I could google it, but there are enough rabid statisticians on TV to do that for me. tongue.png

I would think any comparison with need to be made with countries that have similar road conditions to Thailand. And also whether the comparison is being made with countries that have very little proactive police supervision even at dangerous hotspots which means, in so many cases it comes down to self-regulation.

The other thing which makes comparison difficult is the revelation that Thailand has the highest alcohol consumption in ASEAN.

Wait until the high speed trains come along!! facepalm.gif

Yes, this may reduce the number of road deaths if it ever happens.

The number of road deaths will pale into insignificance when the high-speeders start derailing!!

• Like 1

coffee1.gif

Innocent lives or not, it's social evolution which is lacking. Simple conditional thinking--if I do this, then that may happen--does not occur; drunk or sober. Simple social interaction, like the ability to take rejection without losing your temper; realizing the laws apply to you too, even if you are rich; recognizing common courtesies, like right of way; having safety considerations, like six on a bike or multiple appliances on a single circuit; or understanding business ethics, like providing products and services without expecting a kickback: remain largely unknown or ignored.

I would argue that it is when the Bangkok roads are quieter that they are at their most dangerous. When the traffic is at a standstill due to the volume of traffic, relatively few people are killed or injured. It is only when drivers can go faster that serious injuries or deaths occur.

Are you implying that speed kills? If so I beg to differ. It's not speed that kills, more like the sudden stop against something more solid than than flesh and blood.

Considering that a previous report said that over 80% of the road deaths and injuries involved motorbikes and with the number of vehicles on the roads then those who drive things other than motorbikes can not be too bad.

I watch road behavior carefully and for the most part it is good but as everywhere there are idiots out there who weave in and out of traffic, travel far to fast, pass on blind spots and drive after drinking, unfortunately it is mostly the idiots who cause the crashes and often take others with them.

See the report on the speeding Merc that swerved to the wrong side of the road and took out a pickup.

Considering that a previous report said that over 80% of the road deaths and injuries involved motorbikes and with the number of vehicles on the roads then those who drive things other than motorbikes can not be too bad.

I watch road behavior carefully and for the most part it is good but as everywhere there are idiots out there who weave in and out of traffic, travel far to fast, pass on blind spots and drive after drinking, unfortunately it is mostly the idiots who cause the crashes and often take others with them.

See the report on the speeding Merc that swerved to the wrong side of the road and took out a pickup.

20% of 28,000 is 5,600, divided by 52 weeks of the year . . . about 108 deaths a week for car and truck occupants.

Pretty bad, near 26 a day.

The figures I saw for 2010 (the only year I have seen), the average number of road deaths per day was 72.

The statistics are clear, the so called dangerous days are actually currently safer.

That's not to say the numbers aren't appalling.