Critical Reminder - Please Read and Absorb - We All Do This

bowerboy

Sometimes the footpaths are more dangerous than the roads with the number of motorbike taxis and other motor vehicles who think it is a legitimate form of highway.

For motosys it is in certain circumstances.........in their eyes that means "anytime" its like the no stopping when turning left at junctions

Yup, here in Pattaya I'm guilty as charged....most of the time forced to walk in the street because all of the food carts and morter bikes are using the footpath......?

When in BKK, walking on the Sukhumvit between Spi 4 and Soi 19. Is almost a right of passage what with all the vendors and people plugging up the footpaths....?

Just a side bar....in my 8+ years living in LOS, I've managed to get hit three times by motor bikes and once by a truck....take a licking and keep on ticking....lol ?

I would suggest a trip to the opticians, or less time in the pub. With that record, you are a bit careless, or have a death wish.coffee1.gif

Not careless or a pissheads, just seems in Harm's Waymis a fact of life in LOS....or maybe the end of it....I'll keep on truck'n and love on the edge....lol.?

I have seen so many places where simply the foot path/pavement have become a part of a store or restaurant, it's all over Thailand. They are even building walls or other things that prevent you from using the pavement, some even get angry that you "walk thru" their shop if you use the pavement!

And as already commented: street vendors. If it's a 3 meter wide pavement then they use 2-3,5 meter (yes, all the way and continuing on to the road) for their stores/food stalls.

Would they do like this back in Europe then city hall would send someone to clean it up and they would possible be fined!

Well how many (tall) people will get severe headinjuries from walking on the pavement? I have to watch up and down allll the time on the Thai pavement.

Then there are broken electric cables on the floor, loads of holes, streetvendors who make it very narrow, beggars, soi dogs, and so on.

It's a big shame that in a metropolitan city as bangkok the pavements are in this condition. Especially the streetvendors don't give a dime about pedestrians and should all be removed.

I'm not tall, I'm only 5ft 8in (1.72m) and I constantly bang my head, fall into holes, etc. You need to be able to look all ways all the time. A friend broke his ankle tripping on one of the many obstacles to be encountered. No wonder the Thais drive to where they are going, even if it is 50metres to 7/11, double park their cars, or run their motorcycles up onto the sidewalk (pavement). They know how dangerous it is to walk and avoid it at all costs.smile.png

Last year we were crossing the entrance to our local market,when a woman on a motorbike,turned in and just ploughed into the crowd,missed me by millimetres,but hit a lady just in front of me,luckily not hard,she seemed to regard it as no problem as she had braked at the last second,there was a bit of shouting and gesticulating,then off she went,narrowly missing a small child as she took off,i was flabergasted,her eyes must have been painted on! Now i look 360 degrees,and even above me when venturing off the footpath as one has to do sometimes.

The LAW in Thailand as in most countries states that if walking on the road you must walk against the Oncoming Traffic. Any person who doesn't do this is an idiot.

No, the idiot is anyone who believes that traffic and/or hazards are restricted by unidirectional travel in Thailand. You can and will get clipped from any direction at any given moment by just about anything. This is a reality and must be accounted for constantly in our awarenesses. If one is not prepared to use 360 degrees of both horizontal and vertical perception, then he or she has no business leaving the hovel. Ever. Bear in mind, this gets alarmingly more difficult to do as you age here. So as far as retirement rankings go, it would serve most of us well not to believe everything we read. Kudos to the OP for bringing this topic to the forum.

I agree with u totally, to be super careful when having to walk in the road or cross the road in Thailand.

I get very annoyed when restaurants and vendors set up on the pavement in the evening without leaving a pathway through for pedestrians to walk. I make a point of telling them with sign language and my limited Thai "mai dai pai!" if I cannot walk through, and I will walk on their placemats if I cannot avoid them.

But most Thais are so impatient and have no sense of danger that they often stand a metre out in the road waiting to cross or stroll casually along a busy road. I have even seen someone stroll diagonally in the dark across a very busy and dangerous traffic light controlled crossroads in Udon Thani.

More than once I've seen an adult out walking on a busy highway in a rural area with a child--toddler even--going with the flow of traffic. The real kicker, though, is that side-by-side the child is always on the right of the adult, i.e., the first to get hit should a car or truck veer a bit too close. Thai love their kids, but don't bother to keep them safe.

Edited by MrBrad
  • Like 1

The LAW in Thailand as in most countries states that if walking on the road you must walk against the Oncoming Traffic. Any person who doesn't do this is an idiot.

Law is only law if it is enforced.

In Thailand, traffic is oncoming in both directions, everywhere and always, even on motorways !

Staying on the pavement may not save you either.

They even build in ramps to help the motorcycles gain access and use the pavement to beat traffic on the roads.

My wife actually thinks that M/C's on the pavement have the right of way and she is constantly aware of what is happening around her.!

A good job she takes care of me or I might end up like that poor chap.

Oh, and don't ever shout or

make gestures or

kick out at any motorist

when they ignore zebra crossings or red lights or try to run you down on the pavement; they may shoot or knife you!

I was on my push bike when a pickup truck coming up behind me kept edging me over. I had no place to go except the gutter. When he came alongside me I pounded on his truck door and yelled "Hey Stupid watch where your going" By now he was at a stand still. His answer was so solorry. Seems to be the standard answer here when your in the wrong.

There are many ways to die or get injured. Reminding people to be cautious about all the things that could possibly happen to them in life is mainly an excuse to play at being nanny and of course it invites all the other old dears to post about " I had an uncle who ..." and "I once saw someone who ..."

And if one has got a head filled with cautions and things to worry about you'll be too distracted to pay attention to where you're walking anyway.

If you have some common sense, you'll probably avoid most dangerous situations, but even the most sensible people can be in the wrong place at the wrong time. And You Tube videos demonstrate that an amazing number of people are common-sense-challenged. Darwin's theory has nothing to do with the survival of the overly-cautious.

Another "critical reminder" to add to your list of things to worry about ... and I'm sure we all do this too from time to time:

709a1c3d4c1a357a2ab9fca345f7db9d.jpg

Well how many (tall) people will get severe headinjuries from walking on the pavement? I have to watch up and down allll the time on the Thai pavement.

Then there are broken electric cables on the floor, loads of holes, streetvendors who make it very narrow, beggars, soi dogs, and so on.

It's a big shame that in a metropolitan city as bangkok the pavements are in this condition. Especially the streetvendors don't give a dime about pedestrians and should all be removed.

I'm not tall, I'm only 5ft 8in (1.72m) and I constantly bang my head, fall into holes, etc. You need to be able to look all ways all the time. A friend broke his ankle tripping on one of the many obstacles to be encountered. No wonder the Thais drive to where they are going, even if it is 50metres to 7/11, double park their cars, or run their motorcycles up onto the sidewalk (pavement). They know how dangerous it is to walk and avoid it at all costs.smile.png

I'm 192cm (6ft 3in) and I constantly hit my head... It have become better by the years but the first 2-3 months here it was almost daily, even passing out one time hitting my head in the doorway on my way in to the toilet!

I see so many farang step out onto the road without checking for traffic, so many crossing the road

without checking for traffic, and I don't even think they are drunk, just very careless. I also see many

walking side by side instead of single file when there are no sidewalks and backs to traffic. I am really

surprised more people are not killed. Of course tourists from countries like North America, South America

and Europe need to be extra careful when crossing the road as the tendency is to look the wrong way

looking for traffic as you step onto the road. This is probably the biggest cause of deaths of Australian/Kiwi

tourists in Canada as they do there GAP year round the world travels. (at least that is what they tell me)

I agree with u totally, to be super careful when having to walk in the road or cross the road in Thailand.

I get very annoyed when restaurants and vendors set up on the pavement in the evening without leaving a pathway through for pedestrians to walk. I make a point of telling them with sign language and my limited Thai "mai dai pai!" if I cannot walk through, and I will walk on their placemats if I cannot avoid them.

But most Thais are so impatient and have no sense of danger that they often stand a metre out in the road waiting to cross or stroll casually along a busy road. I have even seen someone stroll diagonally in the dark across a very busy and dangerous traffic light controlled crossroads in Udon Thani.

I also feel strongly about wanting to chastise the vendors blocking the street.

However, I take the warnings from my wife, to do so is dangerous.

It creates confrontation and possible loss of face - a deadly combination.

Unfortunately, it is necessary to follow Thai's and ignore it and carefully find a way through.

To interfere may impact the Ferengi's profit and that is unacceptable and everyone knows that gaining money must come first.

Remember that the Two Hundred Eighty-Five "Rules of Acquisition" compose the sacred code on which all of Ferengi society is based
and it all boils down to making money and where necessary, at the expense of others.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
The Unwritten Rule: "When no appropriate rule applies... make one up."
As Tom Lehrer sang in – Bright College Days:-
Oh, soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife.
Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life.
Welcome to Thailand.
Take care out there.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Thais foresight ends about 1 metre in front of them. Even when driving, I can see a situation that means to slow down, but people pass me like a bat out of hell and scream to a halt at the last minute, or mostly, cut in front of me and so reduce my braking distance. Motorcyclists, riding three up with their most precious possession their offspring, jammed between them or, standing up to let their little treasure feel the wind in it's face. Hopefully before the gravel rash in its face, or worse. Why am I even commenting? Nothing will change in my lifetime. As the man said 'If you can't change the situation, change to suit the situation'.sad.png

Thanks for the reminder. I was always taught to walk TOWARDS on coming traffic.... of course, one-way streets pose a problem in that regard but again, thanks for the reminder!

One way streets are there to lull pedestrians into a state of security. Don't you believe it! I always look both ways, as one way means only one way unless your destination is having to go against the flow of traffic. Well, most of the traffic.coffee1.gif

Edited by Gandtee
  • Like 1

Walking anywhere on the footpath, street or road in Thailand is very much a leap of faith.

Thais don't seem to care too much that their country has the 6th worst world ranking when it comes to casualties and deaths due to road traffic accidents.

See http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/road-traffic-accidents/by-country/

Edited by pendingo

I was in Pattaya over New Years and quite literally there was no option other than to walk on the road along Beach Road becuase of the market...same for Soi Bukkaew.....the way the Thai's had set up the market stalls was so infuriating and so stupid...in places there was literally no room to walk through as stalls on either side had taken up the entire walkway...and then on the back side of the stalls they encroach into one full lane of the road with little junior playing there just inches from passing buses and cars....the stupidity is breathtaking.

In certain situations they can be some of the least considerate people of any country anywhere in the world...the selfishness is truly mind blowing sometimes.

I always walk in street not because the sidewalks are crowded with people but because of the countless obstructions including trees, signs, garbage cans, restaurants, etc. I do walk opposite the way traffic is supposed to go, mostly motorbikes and an occasional car coming the wrong.

You are obviously not in Chiang Mai, where motor bikes are the biggest footpath blocker by far.

There are few places where one can walk without having to step onto the street to walk around the bikes.

As one friend said, "they don't park bikes here, they abandon them!"

I'd love to see group of these bikes chained up and watch the faces of the owners.

Sadly, one of the things I don't like about Thailand is that there is really very few good sidewalks here, or safe places to walk on the street.

If it isn't to narrow, or slanted, or have a pole in the middle of it, or has it filled up by street vendors, or filled with parked Motor Bikes, or a 1 Foot Drop that can happen anywhere and for no good reason, then this sidewalk doesn't belong to Thailand.

I was in Pattaya over New Years and quite literally there was no option other than to walk on the road along Beach Road becuase of the market...same for Soi Bukkaew.....the way the Thai's had set up the market stalls was so infuriating and so stupid...in places there was literally no room to walk through as stalls on either side had taken up the entire walkway...and then on the back side of the stalls they encroach into one full lane of the road with little junior playing there just inches from passing buses and cars....the stupidity is breathtaking.

In certain situations they can be some of the least considerate people of any country anywhere in the world...the selfishness is truly mind blowing sometimes.

With the idiots parking their pick up trucks on the right lane to load/unload goods, the motorbikes parked in the left lane and the songtaus picking up passengers in the middle lane, Pattaya Beach Rd doesn't move fast enough during New Years to be very dangerous anyway.

I also feel strongly about wanting to chastise the vendors blocking the street.

However, I take the warnings from my wife, to do so is dangerous.

Welcome to Thailand.

Take care out there.

There is one thing you can do about the street vendors; boycott them. I can't remember the last time I bought from one. And before somebody says 'I'm missing all the tasty treats etc they can offer' I get all my tasty treats at market places off the road where stalls pay rent.
  • Like 1

It might be a good idea to turn the pelican crossings on as well. Crossing 2nd road is really hard sometimes. What a waste of money...millions of taxpayers baht spent in these crossings and they are never used. Somebody, somewhere gained from this folly.

While the advice is good advice, it's just wholly unrealistic in many places. And not even possible to always walk against traffic if it's a one-way road - not that a one-way road in Thailand is any guarantee of only one-way traffic where pinheaded motobike drivers are concerned. And sidewalks are no safe haven either - plenty of fast-moving motobikes on them (even cops!!). It's Thailand, and grand sounding public posturing notwithstanding, your safety is simply no one's concern but yours. TIT. One day it's the pedestrian; the next day it's everybody on the bus... So keep your head on a swivel at all times and don't assume there's any degree of safety where you might expect it back home.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1