Message Archive Difficulty

sriracha john

I recently joined thaivisa... :o and am having difficulties with the private message archive process. It's no doubt due to some inept action by myself in this seemingly straight-forward process.

When I receive the email of the archive, I don't get a separate attachment, but instead receive an in-page text of computer-language gobbly-gook in the email. This occurs under both methods of archiving (Excel and HTML).

Cut n' pasting the Excel text from the email into Excel doesn't produce anything but an Excel page of goobly-gook.

Any assistance for this newbie would be greatly appreciated as the PM boxes are almost stacked to the rafters now and desperately need cleaning up.

... as the PM boxes are almost stacked to the rafters now and desperately need cleaning up.

What does that tell you? :o

Get a broom and sweep 'em all out into the trash. The delete key comes in pretty handy.

:D

... as the PM boxes are almost stacked to the rafters now and desperately need cleaning up.

What does that tell you? :o

Get a broom and sweep 'em all out into the trash. The delete key comes in pretty handy.

Delete them??? No WAY!.... :D

So many of them are great... fantastically funny, poignant, insightful, bawdy, enlightening, thrilling, etc. etc. etc. It's a tremendous slice of life that would be shameful to broom out the door like so many dead skin cells (main component of dust)...

Just want to enjoy them for many years to come...

Whenever I get old and grey, and I can't type any longer, I want to be able to look back upon these classics and savor their splendor...

Besides, I dislike letting the computer win in any battle without consulting with the war experts first so want to rectify this situation and archive them into the "Save For Babbling, Drooling Time" folder.

Most of them can be found by doing a simple google search anyway.

Added bonus of not cluttering up your mail box.... and the admin´s time...

these Newbies, honestly....:o

Pshh... always trying to make a pwobwem.

Hi John.

I just did an archive of some of my files. I get the same result as you do with the importable "excel" file, doesn't seem to have much use at all. I can only guess that it is designed to be able to be imported back into the forum at a later date when needed, but I cannot see an option for this, maybe it has been disabled ? :o

Anyway a good work around is to change the datafile format to HTML.. see below.

archive.jpg

This then gets sent to your email as an HTML page, which is very clear and easy to read also.. the better option for sure.

Good luck

totster :D

Ps - didn't even know there was an archive option before you started this thread !

Hi John.

I just did an archive of some of my files. I get the same result as you do with the importable "excel" file, doesn't seem to have much use at all. I can only guess that it is designed to be able to be imported back into the forum at a later date when needed, but I cannot see an option for this, maybe it has been disabled ? :D

Anyway a good work around is to change the datafile format to HTML.. see below.

archive.jpg

This then gets sent to your email as an HTML page, which is very clear and easy to read also.. the better option for sure.

Good luck

Ps - didn't even know there was an archive option before you started this thread !

Hi Totster,

Thanks... it's good when newbies can try struggle together and try to help one another. :o

I didn't know really much about it either until I noticed I was running out of space and went back to try and see which ones were unnecessary and could be deleted. Much to my dismay, there were many, many that I didn't want to delete for the aforementioned reasons.

I tried both methods of receiving them as files... the excel way AND the html method... and both return as unreadable emails full of the gobbly-gook (please excuse my highly technical terms).

example:

PjwhLS1xdW90ZWMtLT5UaGFua3MgZm9yIHJlbWVtYmVyaW5nIHRvIHBvc3QgYSBkaXNjbGFpbWVy

Li4uIHdpdGhpbiAyIG1pbnV0ZXMgb2YgeW91ciBwb3N0LCBDaG93bmFoIHJlcG9ydGVkIGl0Ljxi

ciAvPjxiciAvPkhlJiMzOTtzIGJlZ2lubmluZyB0byBiZSBhIHJlYWwgUElUQSBzbyBkb24mIzM5

O3QgbGVhdmUgeW91cnNlbGYgb3BlbiBoZXk/PGJyIC8+PGJyIC8+PCEtLVF1b3RlRW5kLS0+PC9k

aXY+PCEtLVF1b3RlRUVuZC0tPjxiciAvPjxiciAvPlRoYW5rcyBQZXRlci4uLiA8YnIgLz48YnIg

reads like a terry57 post, I know... but it's not much use to me.

I still appreciate your efforts.

Edited by sriracha john

I tried both methods of receiving them as files... the excel way AND the html method... and both return as unreadable emails full of the gobbly-gook (please excuse my highly technical terms).

I appreciate your efforts.

:o

John..

How are you opening the HTML version of the archive...? It should be opened in IE or another browser like Firefox.

I did the HTML archive and it worked perfectly

I appreciate your efforts.

John..

How are you opening the HTML version of the archive...? It should be opened in IE or another browser like Firefox.

I did the HTML archive and it worked perfectly

No luck. I'm using IE to read my email. Did you receive it as a separate attachment in the email or was the HTML visible within the body of the email itself?

I'm not receiving any file, only:

This is a MIME encoded message.

------=_NextPart_000_0022_01C1BD6C.D0C0F9F0

Content-Type: text/plain;

charset="iso-8859-1"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Content-Type: text/html;

name ="pm_archive.html"

Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

Content-Disposition: attachment;

filename="pm_archive.html"

PGh0bWw+CjxoZWFkPgo8bWV0YSBodHRwLWVxdWl2PSJjb250ZW50LXR5cGUiIGNvbnRlbnQ9InRl

eHQvaHRtbDsgY2hhcnNldD1pc28tODg1OS0xIiAvPgoJPHRpdGxlPlByaXZhdGUgTWVzc2FnZSBB

cmNoaXZlPC90aXRsZT4KCTxzdHlsZSB0eXBlPSJ0ZXh0L2NzcyI * continued ad nauseum *

is it something to do with this "MIME" stuff? some IE setting needing to change or whatnot?

I firmly believe if we lived life the other way around i.e. start @ 100 years old with all the associated wisdom and went to 0, then we wouldn't have to deal with all these silly problems, we'd know the answers already, or is that tooooo boring. :D

BTW u misspelt gobly gook :o

No luck. I'm using IE to read my email. Did you receive it as a separate attachment in the email or was the HTML visible within the body of the email itself?

I receive an email called "Personal Message Archive Attached ( Thailand Forum )"

And attached is a file called "pm_archive.html"

totster :o

BTW u misspelt gobly gook :o

thank you

I receive an email called "Personal Message Archive Attached ( Thailand Forum )"

And attached is a file called "pm_archive.html"

ahh.. ok, so that's where the problem lies. I receive no attached file. I use a standard yahoo account, reviewed it's options and saw nothing related to that issue, also I received attached files in other emails all the time. Immediately following the tv email was one, for example.

Any ideas?

//edited - disregard previous information.

As Totster said the file is saved in the attachments folder as "pm_archive.html"

Sorry - :o Was rushing too fast...

Thank you for your deleted efforts... as that is what I suspected the MIME was all about, but as Totburi (or is it Lopster?) mentioned he did receive as a file and I had not.

Any one else try this and not receive an attached file, but got the goBly gook as in-line text instead? Or how to rectify the situation?

Thank you for your deleted efforts... as that is what I suspected the MIME was all about, but as Totburi (or is it Lopster?) mentioned he did receive as a file and I had not.

Any one else try this and not receive an attached file, but got the goBly gook as in-line text instead? Or how to rectify the situation?

The reason I removed my base64 (MIME) explanations is that I found that with Thunderbird (my e-mail client) the attachment kept showing up in-line in the message rather then being saved to the attachment folder. I tried the same thing with OE and the attachment automatically saved in the attacmhment folder for OE corrrectly. The decoding of the base64 is done by the e-mail client when saved as an attachment.

What e-mail client are you using? Some have an option to 'View attachments in-line" but for some reason Thunderbird is still showing the base64 rather then saving the attachments even with this disabled.

The reason I removed my base64 (MIME) explanations is that I found that with Thunderbird (my e-mail client) the attachment kept showing up in-line in the message rather then being saved to the attachment folder. I tried the same thing with OE and the attachment automatically saved in the attacmhment folder for OE corrrectly. The decoding of the base64 is done by the e-mail client when saved as an attachment.

What e-mail client are you using? Some have an option to 'View attachments in-line" but for some reason Thunderbird is still showing the base64 rather then saving the attachments even with this disabled.

I'm using IE with a standard yahoo account. I have no difficulty receiving other email attachments AS file attachments, with the sole exception being this message archiving from TV, which sends no file, but includes it in the body of the email. The only option I saw with yahoo related to HTML is:

Block HTML graphics in email messages from being downloaded

and that option is NOT checked.

Any other suggestions?

alright you wise guys....

I didn´t actually know about this function either. Now I do.

I first managed to delete fifty messages and have them arrive in my in box as an importable excel file and I can´t get my excel open so in txt it com3es up, but very confusing.

When I managed to rid myself of a further fifty I did it as an html file, and it came up beautifully, replete with tv.com coloured boxes and everything. Very pretty.

When I managed to rid myself of a further fifty I did it as an html file, and it came up beautifully, replete with tv.com coloured boxes and everything. Very pretty.

That's encouraging. Any one with ideas about why it's not getting sent out as an attached file to quite a few other members and instead is unreadable computer text in the body of the email???

Come on now... night-time is the time when those with the real computer know-how come online.

Let's solve this caper...... please.

SRJohn

Did you get something that looks like this?

charset="iso-8859-1"

Chang_paarp,

This email has been sent from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php.

Your archived messages have been compiled into a single

file and has been attached to this message.Regards,

The Thailand Forum team.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php

name ="pm_archive.html"

cmNoaXZlPC90aXRsZT4KCTxzdHlsZSB0eXBlPSJ0ZXh0L2NzcyI+CgkJaHRtbHsKCQkJb3ZlcmZs

b3cteDogYXV0bzsKCQl9CgkJCgkJYm9keXsKCQkJYmFja2dyb3VuZC1jb2xvcjogI2ZmZjsKCQkJ

<snip>

I got it with HTML and Excel.

I think yahoo has problems with the mime message. It does not recognise that the 2nd bit is an attachment. (Yahoo.com.au)

Any other sugestions?

Edited by Chang_paarp

SRJohn

Did you get something that looks like this?

charset="iso-8859-1"

Chang_paarp,

This email has been sent from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php.

Your archived messages have been compiled into a single

file and has been attached to this message.Regards,

The Thailand Forum team.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php

name ="pm_archive.html"

cmNoaXZlPC90aXRsZT4KCTxzdHlsZSB0eXBlPSJ0ZXh0L2NzcyI+CgkJaHRtbHsKCQkJb3ZlcmZs

b3cteDogYXV0bzsKCQl9CgkJCgkJYm9keXsKCQkJYmFja2dyb3VuZC1jb2xvcjogI2ZmZjsKCQkJ

<snip>

I got it with HTML and Excel.

I think yahoo has problems with the mime message. It does not recognise that the 2nd bit is an attachment. (Yahoo.com.au)

Any other sugestions?

yes... as per above posts, I received the same type of gobly-gook...

If yahoo doesn't recognize something like that, would glasses or an introduction help?

I'm stumped.

Edited by sriracha john

If yahoo doesn't recognize something like that, would glasses or an introduction help?

I'm stumped.

I agree that it is a problem with Yahoo! Mail in it's handling of the MIME type. Can you access Yahoo! Mail with another e-mail client such as OE using POP? If so, I believe that will work as it did in my test with OE. I'll dig a little deeper.

Forgot I had a Yahoo! Mail account from ages ago. So decided to give it a test and emulate your configuration by forwarding the e-mailed archive from OE to my yahoo account and reading it with IE. The attachement showed up in-line and formatted nicely and was able to save it to my local disk with no problem. So, not sure yet what the problem is on your end.

If you have Firefox you might try that in case it is a problem with IE on your computer.

Forgot I had a Yahoo! Mail account from ages ago. So decided to give it a test and emulate your configuration by forwarding the e-mailed archive from OE to my yahoo account and reading it with IE. The attachement showed up in-line and formatted nicely and was able to save it to my local disk with no problem. So, not sure yet what the problem is on your end.

If you have Firefox you might try that in case it is a problem with IE on your computer.

Is it possible for you to receive a test email of archive messages directly into your yahoo account and then attempt to use your OE program to make it a readable?

If that works and if this OE program is a stand alone program, that might do the trick for me and others using yahoo (assuming it's a problem with yahoo receiving the MIME message). It would be preferable to starting a new email acct. and/or loading a separate system like firefox.

Thanking you for your efforts....