US Passport Issued in Chiang Mai - More Scrutinized?

Hello all,

Glad to finally join these forums after years of great information coming out of here.

I've got a dilemma, which is 100% my fault, but would like to ask the advice of some pros.

I'm a full-time travel writer. I've got a passport, extended twice already, that is nearly full. Expires in September 2015. Plan was to renew this month, now that the holidays are over.

What happened was that I have had a trip to Southeast Asia pop up. I'll be in Thailand for February and March. Per the State Dept site, not enough time to get a new passport before leaving. Since I'm in the region, I'd love to jump down to Malaysia and some other old haunts. Problem is, I'll be officially outside the six-month validity requirement for my passport if I linger too long.

In everyone's experience, just wondering how much the six-month validity rule is enforced? I've heard horror stories of the new visa crackdowns recently. I'm not exactly thrilled at the prospect of having to sweat my way through every border crossing / airline boarding.

I guess the other option would be to apply for a passport renewal in Chiang Mai, where I'll be stationed. Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with passports that were issued outside of the U.S. being more scrutinized? Will I catch more crap than I already do as a nearly perpetual, single male traveler? And how difficult would it be to then have my tourist visa moved over to the new passport?

This mess is entirely my fault, just need a little help choosing from the lesser of the two evils: Chance it that the six-month validity isn't an issue or apply for a passport renewal abroad and move the visa stamp over.

Cheers!

Greg

All passports are issued in USA for the last decade. There will not be any indication of Chiang Mai involved. But you will need about 2 weeks to obtain as they are not held at Consulate for issue anymore (except emergency one year type). So make appointment with Consulate and prepare paperwork now. As you will not be extending stay in Thailand there would not be any need to transfer anything - you just show both passports on first exit.

Sis month validity is an issue at most locations. Hong Kong would likely be OK but others not so much.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.

My concern was that most entry forms ask for "place of issue" for your passport. Because the Chiang Mai consulate handled the application, wondering if the new passport would say Chiang Mai/Thailand somewhere? Or perhaps they all come back as just "U.S. Dept of State"?

After contacting the passport office here stateside, they estimated five weeks. Can only assume that it will take even longer to do so from Chiang Mai? Another concern is the Chinese New Year holiday coming up on Feb 19...lots of offices potentially closed.

I had a new US passport issued just a few months ago at the Chiang Mai consulate. Looking at mine now shows no mention of place of issue, just United States Department of State. That appears to have changed from 10 years ago where it does state Chiang Mai Consulate.

Also, only took around 8 days to arrive, other recent reports have shown 4-9 days turn around time.

//edit - Chinese New Year is not a public holiday in Thailand.

1. As I said - there is no indication of Chiang Mai. Your passport was issued in USA when asked.

2. Also as said it takes about 2 weeks for processing:

http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/service/passports.html

New passports are produced in the United States. Please allow 14 days for processing after your appointment. As soon as the passport arrives, we will notify you by e-mail with instructions for pick-up. You or your designee must pick it up at the Consulate. (Note: If you order a passport card, please allow six weeks.)
  • Like 1

I renewed my US passport at the Chiang Mai consulate and it was much less hassle than renewing in the US. It only took a week to get the passport but that was about 5 years ago. You do need to make an appointment and usually there is only a 10 day or so lag until available appointments. However, the consulate is only open on Tuesdays and Thursdays and may be closed on Thai holidays so to be safe make your appointment well ahead of time. Check out their website. Also in the past they have been good about returning email in a timely fashion and answering specific questions.

Grin

Edit: They also accept credit cards for payment

Edited by grin

I had a new US passport issued just a few months ago at the Chiang Mai consulate. Looking at mine now shows no mention of place of issue, just United States Department of State. That appears to have changed from 10 years ago where it does state Chiang Mai Consulate.

Also, only took around 8 days to arrive, other recent reports have shown 4-9 days turn around time.

//edit - Chinese New Year is not a public holiday in Thailand.

I renewed mine in Chiang Mai in March 2011. All details are as you stated, including United States Department Of State as issuing authority . Never an issue with it not being issued stateside.

A visa is used for entry - there is no transfer required if you enter on old passport - you just show old and new on exit unless extending your stay - extensions are transferred free of charge but that will not apply for you.

If you are still in the states you have plenty of time to get a new passport if you are not leaving until Feb. Pay the expedited processing, and send it overnight. My friend just did it, sent it Monday morning, passport arrived on Thursday, the same week. If you do remember to check the 52 page book, otherwise they automatically send you the 28 page.

Point of interest. A normal US passport obtained in the US is 28 pages, cost 110 USD takes normally 6 weeks. A US passport obtained over seas, US Consulate Chiang Mai Thailand takes approximately 6 days, they do say 2 weeks for official talk,BUT is 52 pages for the same 110 USD. This is a no brainer.whistling.gif

If you are still in the states you have plenty of time to get a new passport if you are not leaving until Feb. Pay the expedited processing, and send it overnight. My friend just did it, sent it Monday morning, passport arrived on Thursday, the same week. If you do remember to check the 52 page book, otherwise they automatically send you the 28 page.

Much easier to do in Thailand. Cheaper also. They have a fast turnaround (10-14 days for my last two) without having to pay the extra fee.

Good advice about checking the block for the extra pages.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that, unlike in the US, when overseas you retain your passport while the renewal is being processed. If you had to do short notice travel you would not have a problem. If you renewed in the US you would not have your passport until the new one was processed.

When forms ask for "Place Of Issue" I have always just put US or USA. Never been questioned about it.

Edited by Smokin Joe

Much easier to do in Thailand. Cheaper also. They have a fast turnaround (10-14 days for my last two) without having to pay the extra fee.

Good advice about checking the block for the extra pages.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that, unlike in the US, when overseas you retain your passport while the renewal is being processed. If you had to do short notice travel you would not have a problem. If you renewed in the US you would not have your passport until the new one was processed.

When forms ask for "Place Of Issue" I have always just put US or USA. Never been questioned about it.

Not sure about easier. Fill out the form at home, pay and print the postage, drop off at the post office, passport returned to your front doorstep.

No embassy appointment, no returning to the embassy for the passport.

But you are correct don't have to pay the extra fee for expedited processing or the postage, so it is cheaper in CM.

When we did my Son's passport in CM we dropped off the paperwork on Thursday, picked up the passport on Tuesday, which also said Department of State.

All new us passports say issued by Department of State, apparently some eastern EU countries at one point would not accept passports that did not say US Department of State (at least that is what I read the reason for the change). My previous passports said National Passport Center.

Point of interest. A normal US passport obtained in the US is 28 pages, cost 110 USD takes normally 6 weeks. A US passport obtained over seas, US Consulate Chiang Mai Thailand takes approximately 6 days, they do say 2 weeks for official talk,BUT is 52 pages for the same 110 USD. This is a no brainer.whistling.gif

You can also get a 52 page passport in the states, there is now a check box at the top of the form. However they do make mistakes and send back the 28 page passport from time to time. You call them up and tell them their mistake and they send a new passport with 52 pages overnight, with a return envelope for the 28 page one. Interestingly enough both the new passport and the prepaid overnight were both FedEx, and not USPS. Found that very odd. (this happened on my wifes passport)

a "professional " with an already extended passport ( extra pages into a U.S. Passport) who now asks for help because there are no more pages left., whilst he is vagabounding in SEA.

Kinda professionals we need , world all over,

Hope you happen to speak some Thai, because my comment is "som nam na"

a "professional " with an already extended passport ( extra pages into a U.S. Passport) who now asks for help because there are no more pages left., whilst he is vagabounding in SEA.

I know the expression well, this isn't my first Thai rodeo. Pretty much covered that it was definitely my blunder in the initial post. Seattle was great but haven't been there since August, had to return home because of family medical problems. Issue is the expiration date rather than blank pages. Traveling so soon unexpectedly is a pleasant surprise with only this small blip. Easily fixed thanks to all the good help here!

The expedite fee is $60, and per a phone call yesterday, they guess three weeks plus post time (busier this time of year) to renew stateside. Seems like a no-brainer, I'll certainly be renewing in Chiang Mai.

I know the expression well, this isn't my first Thai rodeo. Pretty much covered that it was definitely my blunder in the initial post. Seattle was great but haven't been there since August, had to return home because of family medical problems. Issue is the expiration date rather than blank pages. Traveling so soon unexpectedly is a pleasant surprise with only this small blip. Easily fixed thanks to all the good help here!

The expedite fee is $60, and per a phone call yesterday, they guess three weeks plus post time (busier this time of year) to renew stateside. Seems like a no-brainer, I'll certainly be renewing in Chiang Mai.

If you fill out the application form online from the Chiang Mai consulate website a couple of things to be aware of when doing so and submitting your application.

The form defaults to the smaller size passport. Just change that when you print the form and point it out to the clerk - no problems but something of which to be aware.

The information regarding payment that previously came with the printed form discussed paying by check from a US bank. I was screamed at by a National consulate supervisor for following the instructions. Yes, credit card or debit card is accepted.

I will say that the Consul General was most responsive to my complaint about the employee's behavior which had been witnessed by a 'merican employee. Some government employees grow too large in their pants and need to be reminded that they work for the citizens.