Phuket Too Dangerous?

NCC1701A

Must be two Phuket's when I read about the Russian mafia and Thai mafia making riding around the island dangerous. Completely ridiculous.. No more posts on this topic required. All the other issues raised about common sense of course apply. Enjoy yourself. It's fun.

As mentioned earlier be careful riding between Patong and Karon beach at night.

And why is that?
Lady boys r Us in Kata and Karon. It's dull of swedes, dutch, swiss and germans men looking for ladies with a stork. The 2 towns are built on the sex trade of ladyboys prowling the streets. I actually drive very aggressively through those towns to keep them away from me

And why is that?
Lady boys r Us in Kata and Karon. It's dull of swedes, dutch, swiss and germans men looking for ladies with a stork. The 2 towns are built on the sex trade of ladyboys prowling the streets. I actually drive very aggressively through those towns to keep them away from me

Why is that dangerous?

And why is that?
Why is that dangerous?
Temptation.
  • Like 2

And why is that?
I thought you could sort things like that out with your baseball bat.

And why is that?

Why is that dangerous?

Probably didn't pay them one night.

And why is that?

When I was working in Phuket my boss (American) told me that riders between Patong and Karon could be targets for robbery. Little to no lighting and windy roads so riders slow down (or should slow down)

And why is that?

When I was working in Phuket my boss (American) told me that riders between Patong and Karon could be targets for robbery. Little to no lighting and windy roads so riders slow down (or should slow down)

Yes, a long time ago there were some problems on some of the coastal roads. Main problems for a while were the road from Patong to Kamala and Kata to Nai Harn, not Patong to Karon. And that really was a while ago, no problems at all for quite some time now (except that the road between Patong and Karon is not too good with quite a few potholes).

And why is that?
I thought you could sort things like that out with your baseball bat.

Well you can't always rely on one method. You need a backup

And why is that?

Yes, a long time ago there were some problems on some of the coastal roads. Main problems for a while were the road from Patong to Kamala and Kata to Nai Harn, not Patong to Karon. And that really was a while ago, no problems at all for quite some time now (except that the road between Patong and Karon is not too good with quite a few potholes).

It wasn't that long ago that at least two motorbikes with tourists were kicked down with the victims stabbed and robbed on the Kata beach road. Maybe six months ago. There are quite a few bag snatchings and robberies on the Karon beach road, even during the day, although usually in the low season when there aren't so many people around. Keep in mind, many of the incidences won't make the local paper.

The Patong to Karon has always been dangerous late at night, these days are no different, although not as bad as the Kata to Nai Harn road, which is even worse. Personally I wouldn't go that way much after dark on a slow motorbike. Much safer to go the long way through Chalong. They will usually get their victims on the long uphills when the little motorbikes can't go very fast.

It is impossible to tell when a gang of meth-addicted youth will come over from Phuket town for a robbery spree.

And why is that?

It wasn't that long ago that at least two motorbikes with tourists were kicked down with the victims stabbed and robbed on the Kata beach road. Maybe six months ago. There are quite a few bag snatchings and robberies on the Karon beach road, even during the day, although usually in the low season when there aren't so many people around. Keep in mind, many of the incidences won't make the local paper.

The Patong to Karon has always been dangerous late at night, these days are no different, although not as bad as the Kata to Nai Harn road, which is even worse. Personally I wouldn't go that way much after dark on a slow motorbike. Much safer to go the long way through Chalong. They will usually get their victims on the long uphills when the little motorbikes can't go very fast.

It is impossible to tell when a gang of meth-addicted youth will come over from Phuket town for a robbery spree.

You're living in the past. Please show us any link to robbery on kata-nsi harm road in say the last year.

Steven, would you drive a Honda Dream on any of the roads mentioned at say.........2 am?

I ride kata-nai harm every day any time. 3-4 years ago I tried to avoid that at night, but since a few years already there is no reason at all to avoid it.

I personally have been robbed twice on the Patong - Karon road at night. It is notorious. Don't forget the murder near the view point on the Nai Harn road..

These roads are dangerous at night and you saying they're not is a bit irresponsible, even if you yourself have been lucky.

• Like 1

I personally have been robbed twice on the Patong - Karon road at night. It is notorious. Don't forget the murder near the view point on the Nai Harn road..

These roads are dangerous at night and you saying they're not is a bit irresponsible, even if you yourself have been lucky.

It isn't easy pickings anymore on that route. It was before the Karon Police station was built. It more well lit and CCTV is all along that route which serve as a deterrent.

I remember the guy murdered and they never caught the scum. Knudsen was his surname if I recall correctly. Found dead near the kata lookout.

Have you been by there at night recently? It's very well lit and I see people up there eating and chilling out near midnight.

It's not dark and dangerous as it once was.

• Like 1

Yes, long time ago I was burgled. Does that have any relevance to the present situation?

It is totally safe in present times.

Cmon guys, there's NO prediction where any criminal will appear, to be 100% safe, stay home.

Like stevenl says, there haven't been any officially reported incident the last year and a half anywhere on the coast line roads outside the villages, that doesn't mean it hasn't been any, just not reported or the incident might have slipped through my spy glasses.

Even so, caution have to be observed on ANY road, anywhere at anytime.

My best suggestion to be safer is to never ride alone with only 1 bike, two bikes or more is preferable, if the OrBo Tor wants to save money by turning off the street lights at night, don't go there any time of the year (but they mostly turn if off low season).

Listen to stevenl, he knows what he's talking about.

Edited by KamalaRider
  • Like 1

Cmon guys, there's NO prediction where any criminal will appear, to be 100% safe, stay home.

Like stevenl says, there haven't been any officially reported incident the last year and a half anywhere on the coast line roads outside the villages, that doesn't mean it hasn't been any, just not reported or the incident might have slipped through my spy glasses.

My best suggestion to be safer is to never ride alone with only 1 bike, two bikes or more is preferable, if the OrBo Tor wants to save money by turning off the street lights at night, don't go there any time of the year (but they mostly turn if off low season).

"Listen to stevenl, he knows what he's talking about." facepalm.gif

Safety tip:

Don't ride pissed and alone on a small bike on quiet roads at 2 am.

This applies to all of Thailand and most other countries of the world.

Good advices. One more thing to add. Always look like you know what you are doing, even if you are lost. Don't stop to take a look at the map on unlit quiet road. Drive to a better location.

It also might help if you ride your bike like this.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.g

Yes, the truth can hurt sometimes :).

Yes, the truth can hurt sometimes :).
He is actually never wrong. It'struly amazing :)

I agree these back roads are congested with Ladyboys pulling of bag snatches. And it is dangerous to deal with these meth heads. If confronted just go to town on them. Head shots and knock them clean out. Sort the paperwork (tea money) out with the cops later. Remember these are men dressed up as ladies. A broken jaw will stop most people

Edited by Bogan Koori

I agree, KB.

Firstly, the roads themselves are dangerous, due to pot holes and sand / gravel / water on the surface, and also, a lot of people driving / riding whilst under the influence, due to the transport situation here.

Some members are posting it's been a while since there have been robberies on that stretch of road. The reasons for this can be many and varied, but for sure one reason is, many people try to avoid that road at night now, so there are less targets.

The criminals didn't pack up and leave Phuket. Some go to gaol, whilst others get released.

Some young guys start on their path to addiction, whether it be alcohol, drugs or gambling, and need the money.

Some are out of work, and need to support themselves.

Whatever the personal situation is of the individual, there are many motives for robbery on Phuket, and that stretch of road has been, and will continue to be, a location to consider to commit a crime in the future.

Edited by NamKangMan

I cancelled a stay there for my Sister and her Husband as I was going to send them their for a week when they come over in April, They are both in their fifties and he likes a light Ale or 12. I didn't want to go there with my missus and kids because I don't like the place anymore and thought they may be a tad vulnerable on their own , so we are going with them to Ko Chang instead for a few days

I cancelled a stay there for my Sister and her Husband as I was going to send them their for a week when they come over in April, They are both in their fifties and he likes a light Ale or 12. I didn't want to go there with my missus and kids because I don't like the place anymore and thought they may be a tad vulnerable on their own , so we are going with them to Ko Chang instead for a few days

Good move! People over 50, particularly those who like a drink, are very vulnerable on Phuket!

Even though approximately 3 million tourists visit the Island every year, virtually none are over 50 as you need your full faculties to survive a visit to Phuket.

There are even potholes, sand and water here!

I take it that was a piss take , fair play

They have never been to Thailand before and felt a bit guilty about putting them on a plane at BKK and sending them to Phuket on their own. I cant stand the place to be honest and neither me or my wife or my kids wanted to go. So I changed it so Ko Chang so we could all go together.