Phuket Too Dangerous?

NCC1701A

OK. Would you be happy taking your mother and father (or other family members, perhaps the younger grandchildren or nieces and nephews? ) down to Bangla Road to kick back with some ladyboys and a few drinks? It's a cesspool, no way of dressing it up

The decline in western tourists to Phuket is proof that tourists have had enough of the Thai mafia style in which Phuket has been run, over recent years.

You are always talking about this decline in western tourists but there hasn't been any decline. UK and Australian tourists numbers were up for the first half of 2014 compared to 2013. The only difference is that they have less of the market share now. Probably the same worldwide now that more and more Chinese are beginning to travel.

Please quote your source.

Rememer, I am talking about Phuket, not Thailand.

I live in Patong. If Patong is a "shit hole" - I suppose you could say I live in "the annals of Phuket." biggrin.png
It's a shithole. Overdeveloped, stinky drains (if they are unblocked), touts on every corner, beach is rubbish.

It's the Pattaya beach of Phuket.

"It's the Pattaya beach of Phuket." - I wish it was, then we would have baht buses. biggrin.png

That would deprive you of your favourite pastime.

What would you piss and moan about then?

Rooms are cheaper to rent there too.

Transport and a cheaper box to live in. What's stopping you?

I would probably then "piss and moan" about other Phuket Forum members pissing and moaning about other Phuket Forum members. cheesy.gif

That's normal for the ones that leave the island so it's nothing new.

When did you leave? biggrin.png

I think if you moved to another part of the island and actually left Nanai Rd you would see its actually nicer over each hill. North, South or East is all ten fold better than where you reside.

OK. Would you be happy taking your mother and father (or other family members, perhaps the younger grandchildren or nieces and nephews? ) down to Bangla Road to kick back with some ladyboys and a few drinks? It's a cesspool, no way of dressing it up

The decline in western tourists to Phuket is proof that tourists have had enough of the Thai mafia style in which Phuket has been run, over recent years.

You are always talking about this decline in western tourists but there hasn't been any decline. UK and Australian tourists numbers were up for the first half of 2014 compared to 2013. The only difference is that they have less of the market share now. Probably the same worldwide now that more and more Chinese are beginning to travel.

Where is your source of crime figures island wide?

@ hansgruber

Media reports, mainly. What I read on the PG etc. Most of the crime, particularly violent crime, not happening in Patong.

Thats because the violent crime is mainly thai on thai which is away from the tourist zones. Young kids in gangs with guns. All the farang based crime is drugs centred around Patong.

Nanai Rd seems to be the capital of Patong drugs if going by media reports.

Why would you live there?

I live in Patong. If Patong is a "shit hole" - I suppose you could say I live in "the annals of Phuket." biggrin.png
It's a shithole. Overdeveloped, stinky drains (if they are unblocked), touts on every corner, beach is rubbish.

"It's the Pattaya beach of Phuket." - I wish it was, then we would have baht buses. biggrin.png

I would probably then "piss and moan" about other Phuket Forum members pissing and moaning about other Phuket Forum members. cheesy.gif

I think if you moved to another part of the island and actually left Nanai Rd you would see its actually nicer over each hill. North, South or East is all ten fold better than where you reside.

I don't live on Nanai Road, but ride along Nanai Road, almost on a daily basis.

Tell me, what's "nicer over each hill. North, South or East is all ten fold better than where you reside."

I don't live on Nanai Road, but ride along Nanai Road, almost on a daily basis.

Tell me, what's "nicer over each hill. North, South or East is all ten fold better than where you reside."

Better yet, tell me whats nicer about Patong over Kamala, Karon and Kathu.

@ hansgruber

Media reports, mainly. What I read on the PG etc. Most of the crime, particularly violent crime, not happening in Patong.

Thats because the violent crime is mainly thai on thai which is away from the tourist zones. Young kids in gangs with guns. All the farang based crime is drugs centred around Patong.

Due to Patong's nightlife, I don't argue that Patong is the major market for drug purchasing and consumption, usually on a night out, by tourists.

However, the young Thai guys that use drugs don't have the money to buy regularly, so they look to rob foreigners, and they don't come into Patong to do it. They commit their crimes against foreigners, and other Thai's, in other areas of Phuket. That's where YOU live, not me.

That said, Patong is number one for ATM card skimming. From the media, you can see this mainly happens in Patong.

@ hansgruber

Due to Patong's nightlife, I don't argue that Patong is the major market for drug purchasing and consumption, usually on a night out, by tourists.

However, the young Thai guys that use drugs don't have the money to buy regularly, so they look to rob foreigners, and they don't come into Patong to do it. They commit their crimes against foreigners, and other Thai's, in other areas of Phuket. That's where YOU live, not me.

That said, Patong is number one for ATM card skimming. From the media, you can see this mainly happens in Patong.

I'd be willing to wager that Patong has more crime than Kata. Violent and non violent.

In my time in Kata I've never had a break in or know anyone in the area that has or anyone that's been mugged.

How many guys get drunk, drugged and robbed in Kata vs Patong?

Lots of those robberies aren't reported due to embarrassment or being caught out with hookers.

You can sugar coat patong all you like but you can't convince me it's got less crime than any other area besides Phuket towns violent crimes.

• Like 1

http://www.c9hotelworks.com/downloads/phuket-hotel-market-update-2014-09.pdf

Page 2...

Source: Phuket Airport immigration

Can you please quote your source too for comparison

• Like 1

@ Peterocket

Please explain how you link relates to "western tourists."

Your link states that airport airrivals for Phuket increased, but states, "Phuket experienced a sharp drop in visitor arrivals. This peaked in the month of June when combined international and domestic passenger arrivals dropped by 14% year-on-year."

It's well known that Russian and Chinese numbers are up - although I have predicted a sharp decline in Russian tourist numbers for 2015, due to the Russian ruble dropping around 40% of its value.

It was the western tourists spending the money here - not the Russian and Chinese package holiday toursts. This has been the subject of many threads, and even ridicule, on this forum.

It doesn't matter how many Russian and Chinese tourist come here, if they don't spend money, there is less money into the local Phuket economy. This is why they are termed "zero baht tourists." The Phuket economy doesn't reap any real financial benefit from them.

It's common knowledge that tourism numbers for Thailand were down by around 10% for Thailand in 2014.

A quick google reveals a couple of articles that I am not able to post the links for due to forum rules, but there are many other articles stating the same. Here's a couple of them.

http://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2014/12/dreadful-year-for-thailands-tourism/comment-page-1/

http://asiancorrespondent.com/126755/no-sign-of-a-rebound-thailand-tourism-arrivals-down-more-than-10-in-august/

I will quote the first link:

"Europe posted a decline of 9.49% from 681,186 to 616,529. Markets in decline were: Russia (-21.22%); Denmark (-16.39%); Norway (-7.77%); the Netherlands (-7.38%); Sweden (-6.78%); Germany (-5.31%); Ireland (-5.02%); United Kingdom (-4.84%); Spain (-4.41%); Finland (-4.34%); East Europe (-4.09%); Switzerland (-3.55%); Austria (-3.02%); and Belgium (-2.40%)."

"Oceania represented a slowdown of 12.37% from 83,477 to 73,150. The main market Australia declined 12.67% (64,275) and New Zealand down 12.03% (8,343)."

Europe declining 9.49% and Australia declining 12.67% - this is "the western tourist market" I am referring to in my posts.

Down for Thailand, and most certainly down for Phuket.

@ hansgruber

I'd be willing to wager that Patong has more crime than Kata. Violent and non violent.

In my time in Kata I've never had a break in or know anyone in the area that has or anyone that's been mugged.

How many guys get drunk, drugged and robbed in Kata vs Patong?

Lots of those robberies aren't reported due to embarrassment or being caught out with hookers.

You can sugar coat patong all you like but you can't convince me it's got less crime than any other area besides Phuket towns violent crimes.

I'm not "sugar coating" Patong - there's some trash here, no doubt about it, but look at the con-men, the Muay Thai students (Aldhouse comes to mind) the pedophiles, and other guys on the run from their home country, living all over Phuket. Most of them reside and/or are caught, outside of Patong.

Sure, pick-pocketing, ATM skimming etc etc occurs more in Patong, but look at murders, shootings, bag snatching, stabbings etc in recent time.

From reports in the media, most are occurring outside of Patong, and not just in Phuket Town.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ Peterocket

Europe declining 9.49% and Australia declining 12.67% - this is "the western tourist market" I am referring to in my posts.

If both figures are correct then numbers pre-coup were up and post-coup they must have been down significantly.

@ Peterocket

If both figures are correct then numbers pre-coup were up and post-coup they must have been down significantly.

The coup was in May 2014 - approximately 9 months ago.

Sure, the coup may have initially effected tourists numbers, but once the world could see it was a peaceful coup, there was no reason for people to stop coming to Thailand, but around 10% of them have.

The TAT can only blame the coup for so long. :)

@ Peterocket

Sure, the coup may have initially effected tourists numbers, but once the world could see it was a peaceful coup, there was no reason for people to stop coming to Thailand, but around 10% of them have.

The TAT can only blame the coup for so long. smile.png

Once the world could see it was a peaceful Coup...well that hasn't happened yet.
Current Australian Travel Advice:
  • We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the possibility of civil unrest and the threat of terrorist attack, including in Bangkok and Phuket. The security situation remains volatile. You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times and where possible monitor the local media, including social media, for information about possible new safety or security risks.

I think you are exaggerating quite a bit HansGrubs, I agree Bangla and the closest surrounding and parts of Nanai are a shitholes, but not all of Patong, I wouldn't mind living in Patong if the mentioned areas wouldn't affect the rest so much, but that's more of a noise pollution than anything.

Beach is Ok on the north end, tell me where the sewers don't smell like shit here in Thailand, even unblocked, touts exists almost everywhere, bloody hell, they bug the crap out of me even in small towns in Isarn. laugh.png Personally, I prefer living outside the tourist areas for one reason, there are no tourists. xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3ObH

I think you are exaggerating quite a bit HansGrubs, I agree Bangla and the closest surrounding and parts of Nanai are a shitholes, but not all of Patong, I wouldn't mind living in Patong if the mentioned areas wouldn't affect the rest so much, but that's more of a noise pollution than anything.

Beach is Ok on the north end, tell me where the sewers don't smell like shit here in Thailand, even unblocked, touts exists almost everywhere, bloody hell, they bug the crap out of me even in small towns in Isarn. laugh.png Personally, I prefer living outside the tourist areas for one reason, there are no tourists. xofftopic.gif.pagespeed.ic.ifZtFTWxj3ObH

No, it is a shit hole with the worst of Thai society in charge of the scams and the most corrupt police & lawyers in the land.

Sounds to me like you're talking about Asia in general?

No, it is a shit hole with the worst of Thai society in charge of the scams and the most corrupt police & lawyers in the land.

Sounds to me like you're talking about Asia in general?

Yes I guess Asia in General but Phuket in particular.

@ Peterocket

Once the world could see it was a peaceful Coup...well that hasn't happened yet.
  • We advise you to exercise a high degree of caution in Thailand due to the possibility of civil unrest and the threat of terrorist attack, including in Bangkok and Phuket. The security situation remains volatile. You should pay close attention to your personal security at all times and where possible monitor the local media, including social media, for information about possible new safety or security risks.

The travel warning in your post does not void your travel insurance.

If you travel to a location that your Foreign Office has labeled, "Do not travel" and you travel there anyway, then you have no travel insurance, which is a major reason why many tourists cancel their holidays, once a "do not travel" warning is issued.

The travel warning in your post is a standard warning. I doubt it would keep travelers away. As mentioned, insurance companies have no problem with this warning.

@ Peterocket

I have been getting this warning from the NZ embassy for years. It has nothing to do with the coup.

I have been getting this warning from the NZ embassy for years. It has nothing to do with the coup.

Whether it has or not a large number of people last May - July changed their travel plans to avoid coming to a country with a curfew and pictures of tanks rolling down it's main roads.

Australia's Foreign Affairs Dept came in for a lot of flack after the Bali bombings, because they had received credible information from the Americans of a possible attack.

The Americans put out a warning, Australia did not.

Since then Australia has a "better safe than sorry" attitude to posting these warnings. They will warn citizens about almost every possible danger whether it is dire or not.

They do not affect travel insurance unless a policy specifically states it.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

Australia's Foreign Affairs Dept came in for a lot of flack after the Bali bombings, because they had received credible information from the Americans of a possible attack.

The Americans put out a warning, Australia did not.

Since then Australia has a "better safe than sorry" attitude to posting these warnings. They will warn citizens about almost every possible danger whether it is dire or not.

They do not affect travel insurance unless a policy specifically states it.

Those travel alerts are absolute rubbish. The most violent country i have been to is Australia. I feel unsafe there, I feel safer in Thailand. I wonder what other countries say about precautions when travelling to Australia? Tourists in Australia are targets for murders, robberies, assaults, rape. It happens a lot there. Just read the papers.

I note the OP, an arriviste from Hua Hin, has not come back to his thread.

However, it has attracted many of the Phuket haters, some of whom have found it necessary to post many times on the same theme.

Perhaps the OP wasn't really afraid of being machine gunned off his scooter by the Russian mafia as he entered the province. He probably achieved his goal with some of the rubbish others subsequently posted here.

"They are the scariest vehicles on the road here, always flat out, overtaking dangerously, and secure in their belief that everyone will get out of their way because of their size. Something needs to be done about limiting their speed, but wont be." - maybe your description of the cement trucks on Phuket scared him off. biggrin.png

There's a very fine line between Phuket bashing and the facts.

Edited by NamKangMan

However, it has attracted many of the Phuket haters, some of whom have found it necessary to post many times on the same theme.

Perhaps the OP wasn't really afraid of being machine gunned off his scooter by the Russian mafia as he entered the province. He probably achieved his goal with some of the rubbish others subsequently posted here.

"They are the scariest vehicles on the road here, always flat out, overtaking dangerously, and secure in their belief that everyone will get out of their way because of their size. Something needs to be done about limiting their speed, but wont be." - maybe your description of the cement trucks on Phuket scared him off. biggrin.png

Another silly and off topic response by our (non) resident doom and gloomer.

I find it quite amusing that the biggest twister of facts on the forum would admonish me about them.biggrin.png

My post about Concrete (not cement) trucks was on another thread about a large crash by such a vehicle. I have never stated that Phuket, and indeed Thailand, traffic is anything but dangerous. I have commented on traffic issues numerous times. We all know that the number of road deaths in Thailand are at, or near, the top of the world. So, I made a statement in that other topic, that for me, the scariest vehicles on the roads are the concrete trucks. Nothing to do with the query in this thread.

The OP, whether it was a genuine post or not, acknowledged that Thai traffic was incredibly dangerous. That wasn't the topic of his query. In fact, he expressed concern about Thai, Russian and Police mafia, and wanted to know if he was asking for trouble travelling alone on his motorcycle in Phuket.

Time to compose another negative rant NKM, and then dive into your folder of links to try and find something that vaguely backs up your assertions.

You might be better off just going down to your corner pub for a beer, if it's not raining where you are.biggrin.png

• Like 2

Another silly and off topic response by our (non) resident doom and gloomer.

I find it quite amusing that the biggest twister of facts on the forum would admonish me about them.biggrin.png

My post about Concrete (not cement) trucks was on another thread about a large crash by such a vehicle. I have never stated that Phuket, and indeed Thailand, traffic is anything but dangerous. I have commented on traffic issues numerous times. We all know that the number of road deaths in Thailand are at, or near, the top of the world. So, I made a statement in that other topic, that for me, the scariest vehicles on the roads are the concrete trucks. Nothing to do with the query in this thread.

The OP, whether it was a genuine post or not, acknowledged that Thai traffic was incredibly dangerous. That wasn't the topic of his query. In fact, he expressed concern about Thai, Russian and Police mafia, and wanted to know if he was asking for trouble travelling alone on his motorcycle in Phuket.

Time to compose another negative rant NKM, and then dive into your folder of links to try and find something that vaguely backs up your assertions.

You might be better off just going down to your corner pub for a beer, if it's not raining where you are.biggrin.png

Hardly a "rant" OC.

You have admitted the "traffic" in Thailand is dangerous.

Would you conceed the roads on Phuket are above average for danger, than the rest of Thailand, particularly for tourist areas?

That is, above average in two catergories:

1) accidents

and

2) robberies

It's difficult to gain accurate statisitics for both of these, due to government departments not wishing to tarnish Phuket's image, but going from media reports on this thread, compared to other threads, Phuket has a serious motor vehicle accident nearly on a daily basis. There was another one today.

I'm not sure why you think I do not reside on Phuket. You keep banging on about it. Just because I haven't bought a property here, have a Thai spouse, and a retirement visa, it doesn't mean that I am unable to reside here, like every other expat.

In my opinion, Phuket is a great place, but it's very poorly managed, to the detriment of ALL inhabitants, who deserve better, and no, I do not expect it to be like a western country.

Phuket has the most corrupt, of the corrupt, and the most greedy, of the greedy, and it shows in the infastructure, or lack of, here.

Edited by NamKangMan