Passport problems

hi all,

after a bit of advice please. We are off to Thailand in July and return end of August. Her Thai passport expires in November. First question, does the minimum 6mth rule apply, assume npt as she will be 'going home'.

We will be renewing the passport when we are there, my wife will be getting tthe neww passport in our married surname. When i book flights how do i do this? Will she still be able to use the old passport to depart Thailand as it will still have 3mts life on it? Or, as the new passport will have the married surname in it would the ticket need this surname? I know they give the old passports back (well they did last time) would this be ok having both passports to validate who she is and the ticket? We will probably be flying with Eva.

I am unsure who else to contact regarding this?

Thanks.

A Thai can even enter Thailand on an expired passport (but not leave on one).

Not sure about the name change, it will require some explanation. if you can't get the old passport back, have the marriage certificate to explain the name change.

The old passport will still be in date on return by 2/3 mths. Just wondering if she can still use this on exiting Thailand as it matches the flight ticket. She can then use the new passport on entry to the UK.

Is there anyone i can contact to discuss this?

Or would i have to purchase two single tickets one exiting the UK on the old name and one ticket for exiting Thailand in the new name?

She can get the new passport here. She will get her old one back. She could then use both passports at check in and for entry to UK,

It might help also to have a copy of your marriage certificate and/or the name change document from the Amphoe.

Getting her new passport is the best option. To get a new one in the UK means a trip to the embassy in London and can take as much as 2 months.

If it is stamped as cancelled and the new passport is in our married surname, check-in and passport control in BKK would not accept that passport at all and would only accept the new one.

With the surname being different to the flight ticket would we need another ticket? Or would they show a bit of lee way if we have tthe old, new passport and marriage certificates in Eng and Thai, along with Thai ID card and English ID card?

If it is stamped as cancelled and the new passport is in our married surname, check-in and passport control in BKK would not accept that passport at all and would only accept the new one.

With the surname being different to the flight ticket would we need another ticket? Or would they show a bit of lee way if we have tthe old, new passport and marriage certificates in Eng and Thai, along with Thai ID card and English ID card?

What makes you conclude that? Passport control would not accept it, but check in most likely would. I would recommend to check with the airline in advance, even if they're not being helpful.

What makes you conclude that? Passport control would not accept it, but check in most likely would. I would recommend to check with the airline in advance, even if they're not being helpful.

i assumed this would be the case as the passport would have been stamped 'cancelled'? How well d theycheck te passports at check in? If its only a look at the photo and names tthen hopefully it would be ok and the new passport can be used on immigration.

This as also got me thinking, dont Thais also have to do the arrival slip the same as farangs? I seem to remember the last time we left BKK we were held up as the arrival departure slip was missing from my wifes passport

Immigration on departure would only need to see the new passport. She could show the old passport if they questioned the name on the boarding pass.

Thanks, i suppose my main concern was that we got a real jobsworth on immigration or checkin who wouldnt let us through as the ticket didnt the new passport and the old was was stamped cancelled. Wasn't sure if they would use common sence or give us any leeway over the matter. I am probably worrying myself over nothing hopefully