california usa driving not legal to drive motor bike in thailand

quadperfect

he rode with a driving license and not a motorbike one?

C'mon. This is BS!

and blame the farang?

If I came to your home country, rented a bike with no license, and the police stopped me, who would be at fault ?

Your post is like the OP, not MY fault, somebody else is to blame.

And herein lies the BS

In my country noone let you rent a bike without a valide license that allows you to ride a bike.

And it is same at any civilized country as it is danger to society and the renter.

Seedy, not sure what you are supporting here?

So you say renters are ok to rent bikes without asking a license and people get killed just bc of this greedy rental shops?

I agree with Seedy.

If the OP wants to rent a motorbike in any country it is HIS responsibility to make sure that he can legally do it not the guy who rents him the bike. If the guy still rents him the bike that would be up to him. In todays world it doesn't take more than a few moments on the internet to do some research on the country you are going to. The OP is apparently away for a year and doesn't seem to have even scanned his licence or done any research about the driving laws in Thailand. When I first came to Thailand I was on business and had a car and driver available so it wasn't a problem. In other countries where I worked I tried to find out what was necessary to be legal.

I have my UK licence and when needed I also had an IDP. I also have 2 Thai licences, one for a car and another for a motor bike. I also have a licence for PNG and another for New Zealand. All it took was a little research and a little time.

In Thailand I own 2 motorbikes, a scooter and a pickup truck, all legal and personally I wouldn't touch ANY motorbike renter in any tourist area.

Edited by billd766

yesterday I was stopped at a check point

Why did you stop? You have to understand, the Thai police aren't a police force as we know them to be in the west. They are, as my ex nicely put it "thieves in uniform" and should be treated as such.

And I wonder if any kickbacks are passed along to the 'Farang officer'?

Edited by H1w4yR1da

They should not let OP to rent a bike at the first place. So that way his license would still be in his pocket.

But no, they pushed the responsibility to OP.

It WAS his responsibility. Not gods, Buddhas, his dogs, the renters, the song taew drivers.

HIS

Take responsibility for your actions, do your homework, or face the consequences.

Too hard for some to understand tho'

There's no question that copper did <deleted> up big time and that's his (cooper's) fault and no one's else. But to me it seems the most of the blame the OP is getting for his attitude - and rightfully so. "I came from a 1st world country, how dare they..." Being from a 1st world country (is this term still even used?) doesn't give you or anyone else a ticket to bypass the local laws and regulations. Also no use blaming the rental shops. This is how the things here were for a long time before you and will remain the same after you leave. I don't see anyone else complain.

By any chance, have you given some of your attitude to the copper? Maybe he's done that on a purpose to teach you a lesson?

Not saying he's right and I hope you get your license back eventually. Just saying no one likes whiners with attitude.

• Like 1

I am a very respectfull person untill people dis respect me. This coper gave my license to another biker for the 10th time already ,this was wrong.i did not say anything negative since he promised me my license back or a free pass. So the free pass came from the head guy in chalong so no not a lesson because for sure this coper got a scolding by the main man.

you people some like scanky or whatever his handle blow my mind how you just find any loop holes to my story to dig in to me.

i neve once said i was 100 percent rightiouse here,i only said i have been screwed over buy incompetence. By a farang coper

so just quit the crap that i am a first world toteler,dudes you dont even know me. I have not been in america for more than 30 days in 25 years.i live in 3rd world countries .i have sailed more than 100,000 sea miles on a 12 meter sailing yacht through every country from west coast usa to here over those 25 years.following the coconut milk run. Thats a well known path of old day sailing.i dont usually drive anything but my inflatable w a outboard. I sail at 5 knots and live on my small yacht.

i am so pissed off because i just got that license last year and just was in california by plane 3 weeks ago for holidays visiting my parents

so back off the lame comments about me being a whining baby and just admit i got screwed by a incompetent farang coper when he gave my car legal driving license away.

my next stop is africa after visiting my girlfriend in australia.so thats why i now must go all the way back to california by plane7 to get that license again before i can go to australia and rent the combie to tour my favorite surf spots once again, and see my honey i had to leave behind .that is the point i am making and originally posted here to see if anyone had any ideas of what my rights are here, but clearly most of the dudes here are walking around with there heads s far up there you know that they cant even see streight.

for the record i love thailand its people and its culture. Probobly the best culture in my 25 years traveling.i am not here to change anything just soak it all in.love it here

hate the farang coper detail though cause no one has ever been so lame in all my travels.

fiji was pretty cool too?spent 10 years there.

ok no more over and out.

They should not let OP to rent a bike at the first place. So that way his license would still be in his pocket.

But no, they pushed the responsibility to OP.

It WAS his responsibility. Not gods, Buddhas, his dogs, the renters, the song taew drivers.

HIS

Take responsibility for your actions, do your homework, or face the consequences.

Too hard for some to understand tho'

No it became his responsibility due to the greedy renters and lack of enforcement.

Wonder what Thai laws say about vehicle rentals? Does Thai laws allow rental shops to rent without checking license or allow renters to rent a bike without a license? I dont think so.

Edited by ll2

Ahhhh the smell of freedom... Free to rent and ride a bike even if you have no qualifications or license; free to pay the cops $6 - $15 for having no qualifications or license when stopped; free to have an incompetent boob lose your valuable(s); free to bitch about it; free to, ...well almost whatever the frig you wish to do... These freedoms come at a price: no nannies, no oversight, no-one really give a hoot - you're on your own, use your wits and guile and enjoy the freedom - your well-being is no-one's responsibility but your own!!

• Like 1

Was your DL ever returned.. sorry missed all this.. this was my main concern... Reminds of going to get a work permit and the nong misplaces the important document you just gave him and claims with smiling face, he never received it.

whistling.gif