Bangkok's new bus fleet saga: why Scania, Volvo opt out

webfact

I don't know buses...but who would be the likely winner and from what country?

China?

I'm guessing, as I really have no clue, but would be interested.

And the winner is.... China.... Thailand is way too deep owing to China billions of dollars

in expert deficit, and one way to offset it is to buy everything China to make the Chinese

happy as they intend to invest billion in this country and guess who's favors they will need?

Both the EU nations and the USA have been actively pursuing domestically based companies that pay bribes to foreign officials to get plush government contracts. There have been a few high-profile trials resulting in some huge fines but no jail time AFAIK. I'm sure that is a major consideration for these European manufacturers.

Probably not even the tiniest of consideration for the Chinese who will pay whoever they need to pay on both ends of the deal.

• Like 1

Politician's son wants a lambo, so what's he gonna do? Scania buses will last years longer than the Chinese crap, but why should these idiots be interested, they can't even think weeks ahead. Volvo and Scania will be safer, but since when has road safety been of importance in Thailand.

• Like 2

But this is strange........................

“Volvo Truck and Bus is not familiar with the bidding process that makes us feels like we have to compete with others to lower prices in order to get the contract. We would prefer submitting sealed bid and then to negotiate specifications with the buyer,” he said.

If the specifications are part of the bid document, then they cannot be negotiated after. The idea is that the specifications are used to "level the playing field" so you can get a comparable price for that specification. I am confused by Volvo's statement.

and again here................

"..................the bidding process that makes us feels like we have to compete with others to lower prices in order to get the contract" is that not the whole point of bidding? To get the lowest price for the spec?

Edited by Whale
  • Like 1

But this is strange........................

“Volvo Truck and Bus is not familiar with the bidding process that makes us feels like we have to compete with others to lower prices in order to get the contract. We would prefer submitting sealed bid and then to negotiate specifications with the buyer,” he said.

If the specifications are part of the bid document, then they cannot be negotiated after. The idea is that the specifications are used to "level the playing field" so you can get a comparable price for that specification. I am confused by Volvo's statement.

and again here................

"..................the bidding process that makes us feels like we have to compete with others to lower prices in order to get the contract" is that not the whole point of bidding? To get the lowest price for the spec?

I think you'de find that companies bidding on a project such as this, prepare their bid which would cover in main, the specification in the tender documents.

Most bidders specs. would differ in some regard to the tender documents, as the tenderer may not be able to match exactly what is required......so generally, and in most cases, a spec. of similar standard would be submitted........then if successful, this part of the bid could then be negotiated.

Eg:....BMTA may specify 32" wheels which Volvo don't use.....they would offer a suitable alternative.

I think that's what Volvo are suggesting.

Yes they will probably go for that Chinese crap Golden Dragon or whatever its called. I remember when I studied in BAngkok they put one on 545 route. After 6 months it looked like it was 100 years old with parts and panels hanging on the sides. Cheaper price rest goes in the pocket.

The major players in the marketplace for international bus contracts I would say has politely suggested to the BMA and the political hangers on to shove it where the sun don't shine , quite obvious that some people like to protect their international image from being involved in any underhand skullduggery that Thailand might like to pull, noticed Mercedes isn't mentioned , Transparency under PM Prayut-O has really improved.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

China?

I worked for a Chinese coach manufacturing company. I assure you, you wouldn't want to buy a Chinese coach/bus. Materials are cheap, crash testing is non-existent, technology is 20 years old, and anything slightly new is copied (patent infringed, should I say).

As for Thailand, a Chinese source is a likely winner, however, because cheap, user unfriendly, unsafe, and crap quality matters not here. What matters, and what mattered to Volvo and Scania, are the bent takings by the offerers of bids. The undertable corruption was something the Western companies had no interest in being involved in, especially when they realised the graft was ultimately reducing, or projecting to reduce, their end sales prices.

Volvo nor Scania need Thailand as an entity or major market to compete worldwide, and so it is another loss to Thailand which keeps it years behind all the other developing countries. I think I made myself perfectly clear?

You are spot on!

• Like 1

China?

Did you honestly have to ask that question ? Take the blinkers off

Here's a clue, "Table" a place they hold the meetings, "Under" below - out of sight - beneath

they want the cheapest bid so they can then "pad" it to add to their personal bank accounts.

Business as usual forget the change in government. To put such a low floor price per bus automatically eliminates the quality suppliers. I would called this a rigged bid. You only get what you pay for.

Politicians, who had supervisory control over the financially-ailing Bangkok city bus agency, did not seem to be able to agree on the simple task of drawing up a coherent and clear-cut TOR to ensure a fair bidding process.

that's enough reason to keep away from the whole project

• Like 1