Just another Falang Ripoff?

bikerider21

I have no idea what the above post means, but one cannot compare a granny state like Oz to here (or the rest of the capitalistic world). So there the seller can put any price on a product and then just charge what they want at the register, now that would make a mess at the grocery store!

And about the bait and switch, if they say they have run out what are they switching for??

So do you ask the price of every item in your shopping cart before ringing it up? Hope I'm not behind you in line!

So just pay whatever they want to rip you off and then don't go back? So after I finish the burger priced at 100 bht on the menu I should pay the 2000 bht check?

Edited by junglechef

Always better to negotiate and/or confirm the price in advance so that there are no surprises after the fact.

If you do not practice that and complain you need your mommy.

Don't think so. Something like a bike wash you know the price range and you're never going to ask the price, it seems petty. Obviously they can't charge you 1000 Baht because you would never pay it and if an argument ensued, you'd call the bobbies and they'd back you to the hilt.

I'd never ask the price of such a trivial item when I'm a viewed as a rich falang. (If pushed, I'd get my Thai wife to do it)

OK - I was in the Post Office today (in OZ) and the guy next to me spotted a monitor with a $99 sticker on it. When it rang up it should have been $199. The fact is that a ticked item is an "invitation to treat". The seller is not bound by that price. It is an indication that if you were to offer that price they might sell it to you. However, if the product is promoted and say is "no longer available" then this could be taken as false advertising or a "bait and switch" ploy. It is best, whether in Thailand or anywhere else, to confirm the price for the product or service that is required before you enter into an agreement. I'm not sure that paying an extra $3 really puts this into the I've been ripped of bracket. The real question is "did they do a job worthy of 150Bht, or whatever" and if so you got value, and if not then don't go there again.

Personally I would never pull a fast one like buying a wrongly labelled item, even more so in Thailand where it could really hurt someone.

I also don't think that most other decent people would either. If you know it's incorrectly labelled, for me it would constitue theft.

As for the value for money? I was going to get my bike cleaned in Canal Road where I get my 1300cc bike cleaned for 100 Baht with a grateful smile.

I only took it there because we were going for lunch and my girlfiend noticed the sign that said bike cleaning 49 Baht. So yes, we were attracted by the price and the fact that it would be finished by the time we'd finished lunch. I didn't ever feel I was cheating. If the guy runs a thriving busines by cleaning bikes for 49 Baht then good for him. My bike wasn't dirty and was only marginally bigger than the 125 - 150 cc bikes.

It's just the sinking felling you get when you think someone has pulled one on you. I didn't even get that until I'd thought about it later.

When I worked in Indonesia which is far poorer than Thailand, I was a millionair compared to most people there. Many people get by by scamming and it wasn't unusual to be scammed at least once a day. Instead of being upset, we used to congratulate them on their total ingenuity. No matter how careful you tried to be, the number of ways they could extract money from people was beyond belief. (They could have been employed by banks anywhere in europe)

At the airport, people would hide and then rush to take a suitcase out of your hands in order to put it into the taxi themslves. Most people paid a tip. It was a scam to the uninitiated but for most falangs, it was a form of charity.

You were with your girlfriend......they knew you were less likely to argue. As far as Indonesia...that's a pretty good description of Cambodia, too. They will refill water bottles (disposable ones), sell you dead batteries, a lighter that doesn't work...and they know completely...and that's in one walk around the block. Better to cheat you once, than have a customer for life. I went in for a 500 thb teeth cleaning on the South side of the moat, verified the price, and when it was completed she said 600. I refused, then she made it sound like they were doing me a big favor....8 years later; I've never stepped foot in that clinic but have spent 30-40000 on dentistry.

Can we start a forum on the best Scams. I'm sure we've all got some crackers. It should be kept humourous and not nasty.

I'll start:

In Bangkok I'd overnighted in a hotel near to the airport, ready to take my early morning flight to Jakarta.

As I came out of my room, a porter rushed up to take my small bag, the one with wheels and a handle. It had my laptop, tickets, money, a wad of 100 dollar bills etc.

I gave it to him thinking he needed a tip and I was quite willing to give him one.

However, half way down, he hopped out of the lift saying something like he had to use the staff lift. Before I could blink, the door closed and I was on my way down again. I waited and waited and waited.Finally I told reception and they said, please wait he won't be long. They were obviously in on it too.

He appeared just as the minibus to the airport started calling for pasengers to embark. I could only check my bag in the crouded mini van. My laptop was in sideways, some of the 100 $ bills were their so I guess he only too 2 or 3. Not bad for a mornings work.

He relied on the fact that most people wouldn't risk missing their plane and what could you prove anyway.

10/10 for this Scam

OK - I was in the Post Office today (in OZ) and the guy next to me spotted a monitor with a $99 sticker on it. When it rang up it should have been $199. The fact is that a ticked item is an "invitation to treat". The seller is not bound by that price. It is an indication that if you were to offer that price they might sell it to you. However, if the product is promoted and say is "no longer available" then this could be taken as false advertising or a "bait and switch" ploy. It is best, whether in Thailand or anywhere else, to confirm the price for the product or service that is required before you enter into an agreement. I'm not sure that paying an extra $3 really puts this into the I've been ripped of bracket. The real question is "did they do a job worthy of 150Bht, or whatever" and if so you got value, and if not then don't go there again.

Personally I would never pull a fast one like buying a wrongly labelled item, even more so in Thailand where it could really hurt someone.

I also don't think that most other decent people would either. If you know it's incorrectly labelled, for me it would constitue theft.

As for the value for money? I was going to get my bike cleaned in Canal Road where I get my 1300cc bike cleaned for 100 Baht with a grateful smile.

I only took it there because we were going for lunch and my girlfiend noticed the sign that said bike cleaning 49 Baht. So yes, we were attracted by the price and the fact that it would be finished by the time we'd finished lunch. I didn't ever feel I was cheating. If the guy runs a thriving busines by cleaning bikes for 49 Baht then good for him. My bike wasn't dirty and was only marginally bigger than the 125 - 150 cc bikes.

It's just the sinking felling you get when you think someone has pulled one on you. I didn't even get that until I'd thought about it later.

When I worked in Indonesia which is far poorer than Thailand, I was a millionair compared to most people there. Many people get by by scamming and it wasn't unusual to be scammed at least once a day. Instead of being upset, we used to congratulate them on their total ingenuity. No matter how careful you tried to be, the number of ways they could extract money from people was beyond belief. (They could have been employed by banks anywhere in europe)

At the airport, people would hide and then rush to take a suitcase out of your hands in order to put it into the taxi themslves. Most people paid a tip. It was a scam to the uninitiated but for most falangs, it was a form of charity.

You were with your girlfriend......they knew you were less likely to argue. As far as Indonesia...that's a pretty good description of Cambodia, too. They will refill water bottles (disposable ones), sell you dead batteries, a lighter that doesn't work...and they know completely...and that's in one walk around the block. Better to cheat you once, than have a customer for life. I went in for a 500 thb teeth cleaning on the South side of the moat, verified the price, and when it was completed she said 600. I refused, then she made it sound like they were doing me a big favor....8 years later; I've never stepped foot in that clinic but have spent 30-40000 on dentistry.

That's very true. When overcharging occurs, it's tough on them when they choose a resident. However, I think in most cases, they think you're just a tourist passing by. Actually, Thailand is relatively comfortable for tourists compared with many other countries I've been to. I saw a TV program on the Amstadam red light district. They gang up on you. But they did say the police were thinking of clampling down on it.

Each time I consider buying something or using a service that has a price label with a description in Thai, I always ask how much first before agreeing to any service or purchasing an item.

Learn at least some basic Thai is the key to these misunderstandings otherwise it`s a case of taking pot luck and hoping for the best. Anyhow, in my book 150 baht is still a bargain price, especially for an old track dirt bike. Thank you for the info on this, think I will take my bikes to be washed there myself.

Yes, the price isn't high at all for such a service and you're welcome to go there.

I never said the bike was an old track dirt bike. I said it's a Chinese cheapo and it was very clean. It might easily break if you tried to use it as a dirt bike. I think most Chinese would use it just to ride on poor roads.

I know basic Thai and I also had my senior girl friend with me.

I know the price isn't worth discussion but I've said already that I get my big bike 1300cc cleaned for 100 Baht on Canal road and always receive a grateful smile.

I've also said that for such a negotiation, I'd never bother to ask th price. Of course I definately would in Loas, Vitenam, India, Indonesia or a strange country where I didn't know the ropes but not in Thailand.

I still can't believe people on here advocate jumping on Red, and handing them a twenty at their destination. I can get quoted 20, 30, or 40 from three different ones right in a row....going to Thapae Gate! And once it starts getting dark, things take a 180 degree turn for the worse. One observation I've made is that the old ones are more likely to give you a better price. Perhaps they are owned instead of leased. The new ones seem to want top baht. But, for the extra 3 seconds it takes to confirm price; it is well worth avoiding hassles.

I agree bikerider but do you pay what the sign or menu says or whatever they charge as if it's not over say 100 bht more then advertised?

Obviously you don't pay the price if it's unrealistic. When I paid the 150 Baht, I didn't think twice, only afterwards I wondered why they did it when they advertised 49 Baht (a 3:1 increase for a slightly bigger bike) The sign did say small bikes (apparently).

Years ago I was travelling through France with my family. We stopped at a small bistro which advertised the special dily menu on a black bourd outside.

My wife and I enjoyed the food with good wine. My son wanted something different so we ordered him a small chicked leg at the waiters recommendation, without looking at the menu. When we paid the bill, the chicked leg cost as much as out two specials. I had asumed that because the daily special was cheap that everything else was cheap. I learned a good lesson then.

I agree bikerider but do you pay what the sign or menu says or whatever they charge as if it's not over say 100 bht more then advertised?

Obviously you don't pay the price if it's unrealistic. When I paid the 150 Baht, I didn't think twice, only afterwards I wondered why they did it when they advertised 49 Baht (a 3:1 increase for a slightly bigger bike) The sign did say small bikes (apparently).

Years ago I was travelling through France with my family. We stopped at a small bistro which advertised the special dily menu on a black bourd outside.

My wife and I enjoyed the food with good wine. My son wanted something different so we ordered him a small chicked leg at the waiters recommendation, without looking at the menu. When we paid the bill, the chicked leg cost as much as out two specials. I had asumed that because the daily special was cheap that everything else was cheap. I learned a good lesson then.

Good story,,,,How about this...drinking in Washington DC, which can be very expensive. The Lucky Bar, about 4 blocks from the WH on Connecticut Ave., very high rent area. Thursday Night was 1 Dollar Budweiser longnecks...it was a blast, people were really cutting loose. You could even get free parking out front if you got there right at 18:30, when the 2 hour metered parking ended. So I'm sitting at the bar, and this guy comes to the bar and says 4 Budlights. The owner opens four bottles of BL and puts them in front of the guy....14 Dollars, please. The guy hands him his CC, and while the bartender was running his card, I said "hey man, Buds are only a Buck." He just shrugged his shoulders and said his group drank Budlight...he probably was 6 figures in student loan debt and not making 40K...so at the point, I decided to never to try and help people like that; and perhaps they were the ones making it possible for me to drink Dollar Buds...I went back a year later, same promo, except they added Coors Light to the Dollar deal. First guy to the bar orders 2 Coors and 2 Budlights.....14 Dollars, sir. LOL. I know people with several million in the bank, who wouldn't do that, and in fact they might be the ones saying, hey dude, Buds are only a Buck.

Edited by bangmai

I still can't believe people on here advocate jumping on Red, and handing them a twenty at their destination.

Why not. The drivers have the option of asking more, if it is too far or in a inconvenient place to find more customers. I hardly eve get asked for more than the basic fare, if I am going to a popular spot like Thapae Gate, KSK or the Airport Mall, unless it is very far away from where I board.

its commonly known by thai shop owners that farangs love to complain.

so instead of doing a crappy express job for 49 baht, they gave you the supreme service for 150 baht, which includes wax and tire gloss.

Yes I think you're right. I'd just bought a box which fits on the back of the bike. There was nothing in it but as I opened it to put something in, the lady dilligently cleaned it inside.

Reminds me of Abu Dhabi. I was waiting for a taxi and there were loads of other people, mainly Indians. A taxi pulled up for me and I got in. When I came to pay for the ride, the taxi driver (Pakistani) asked for a bigger tip. He told me he'd picked me up knowing that I would give him a big tip.

I hate all that stuff but its a fact of life that if you want a driving license or anything else in Abu Dhabi or if you don't want to wait in line at the passport desk, there's such a thing as fast track. Those who can pay get special service for most things. Not unlike business class and first class though.

Whether we like it or not, falangs in Thailand are all privaledged or we wouldn't be here.

Edited by bikerider21

I still can't believe people on here advocate jumping on Red, and handing them a twenty at their destination.

Why not. The drivers have the option of asking more, if it is too far or in a inconvenient place to find more customers. I hardly eve get asked for more than the basic fare, if I am going to a popular spot like Thapae Gate, KSK or the Airport Mall, unless it is very far away from where I board.

because the fare can vary from 20-100 for identical trips...but like the Dollar beers; I suppose it's the suckers that just paying what they are told enables me to ride for 20. Would you go and catch a flight without asking the price?

Edited by bangmai

Good story,,,,How about this...drinking in Washington DC, which can be very expensive. The Lucky Bar, about 4 blocks from the WH on Connecticut Ave., very high rent area. Thursday Night was 1 Dollar Budweiser longnecks...it was a blast, people were really cutting loose. You could even get free parking out front if you got there right at 18:30, when the 2 hour metered parking ended. So I'm sitting at the bar, and this guy comes to the bar and says 4 Budlights. The owner opens four bottles of BL and puts them in front of the guy....14 Dollars, please. The guy hands him his CC, and while the bartender was running his card, I said "hey man, Buds are only a Buck." He just shrugged his shoulders and said his group drank Budlight...he probably was 6 figures in student loan debt and not making 40K...so at the point, I decided to never to try and help people like that; and perhaps they were the ones making it possible for me to drink Dollar Buds...I went back a year later, same promo, except they added Coors Light to the Dollar deal. First guy to the bar orders 2 Coors and 2 Budlights.....14 Dollars, sir. LOL. I know people with several million in the bank, who wouldn't do that, and in fact they might be the ones saying, hey dude, Buds are only a Buck.

Good story and I think you're right. It might only be the nouveaux riche who think they have to throw their money around (and people on expense accounts using other peoples money) but I would think the Rockerfellars of this world would feel good about giving a 1000$ tip but feel really pissed if they knew they had been ripped off for 1$. Could be wrong, don't really know any.

No one but yourself to blame.

The signs were there. If you cannot read Thai can ask.

You perhaps thought 45bt was a good price.....undervalued maybe so really it could be construed you were trying an opportunity to rip thrm off.

What goes around etc.

Falang tries to rip off bike cleaner but didnt make a clean getaway!

Are you completely stupid or does it just appear that way?

My post is far too clever for you I think........not from these parts are you?
So are you saying its the latter then?

Just askin

Edited by Eliot Rosewater

Always better to negotiate and/or confirm the price in advance so that there are no surprises after the fact.

If you do not practice that and complain you need your mommy.

Don't think so. Something like a bike wash you know the price range and you're never going to ask the price, it seems petty. Obviously they can't charge you 1000 Baht because you would never pay it and if an argument ensued, you'd call the bobbies and they'd back you to the hilt.

I'd never ask the price of such a trivial item when I'm a viewed as a rich falang. (If pushed, I'd get my Thai wife to do it)

Read "and complain"

Do you really think that the bobbies and/or your wife will rescue you?

good luck

As regards to your original question, 'was this legal' then the answer must clearly be 'yes'. They clearly stated that smal bikes were 45 baht, and since yours isn't a small bike then presumably you paid the rate for your bike. They don't need to post a price of all bikes so I can't see what was illegal about their practice, or misleading. They were simply advertising a particular promotion that didn't apply to you. There was nothing in what you said to indicate that the price you paid was any different to what a Thai would pay, and since it was only 50 baht more than you normally pay it's hardly extortion.

One of the dangers of living in a foreign country is becoming paranoid and thinking that you are being targetted. If it was a place with dodgy practices, which I'm not convinced that it is, then the likelihood is that they would also con any customer, given the chance, not just Farangs. I'm sure you normally ask about the price, but on this occasion you misinterpreted the sign, which is your fault, not theirs. No harm done, other than the fact that you possibly fell into the trap of interpreting the situation as a personal affront on you, when it more than likely wasn't.

I'm probably alone in this, but I could never think of 50 baht as being a 'ripoff', which is the normal way of describing these incidents here. I would consider 50 baht as being charged a bit more than it maybe should be, whether that is for a haircut or cleaning the car. I generally expect to pay a little bit more than a working class Thai because I look like I can afford to pay more, just as plenty of Thais do. I sometimes consider being asked a slightly higher price for something as being a compliment. They are possibly seeing me as being kind-hearted and generous so they are giving me the opportunity to show that I am. A view that maybe some of the old-hands here may share?

If I'm wrong, and I'm sure there are plenty here who think I am, I still think it's better than going around with a chip on my shoulder.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

I don't think that the terms "legal" and "farang ripoff" are mutually exclusive terms.

No question that pricing here is completely flexible and understood by most to be just that. Always better to negotiate and/or confirm the price in advance so that there are no surprises after the fact.

Agreed, but you have to live here a while to realize that. A LOT of the time when we think that we are being ripped off, it is really just misunderstanding the situation.

this is true you have to clarify, be clear, then repeat what has been agreed again

I don't think that the terms "legal" and "farang ripoff" are mutually exclusive terms.

No question that pricing here is completely flexible and understood by most to be just that. Always better to negotiate and/or confirm the price in advance so that there are no surprises after the fact.

Agreed, but you have to live here a while to realize that. A LOT of the time when we think that we are being ripped off, it is really just misunderstanding the situation.

this is true you have to clarify, be clear, then repeat what has been agreed again

And if you are speaking Thai you have to figure you very possibly did not get all the details correctly and same for them if you are speaking English.

So it may just be off by a bit and it is probably best to accept it.

When you get to the point that you can communicate and get 100% of what you want 75% of the time then congratulations.

• Like 1