Thai King 30 : 30 : 30 :10 - what does it mean ?

Cashboy

I have read on this farming forum about farmers adopting the Thai King's 30 : 30 : 30 : 10 policy.

What does that mean exactly ?

Has this anything to do with crop rotation?

I say that because do Thai farmers apply crop rotation in Thailand?

As a school kid, I was told it was so important for nutrients in the soil.

I see the same fields with sugar cane in them year after year in Udon Thani.

it is based on a thai farm size of 15 rai and the utilization and cropping of same for self sufficency of a family unit. it can and does work in some areas where there is realiable water source for the majority of the year. others may be more knowledagble on the specifics of proposed crops, etc. i would think there would be serval crop variations depending on soil type, lay of land, mean temp. etc

nice to see you back

I am still living in the UK and Switzerland but am making 3 x 4 week visits per year to Thailand until I sell up one of my European homes.

I stay in Bangkok in a condo because the Issan Thai girl has a good job (by Thai standards) in Bangkok.

I have still not bought anymore farm land (aim is total 100 rai) because I think the prices these Thai farmers are asking is currently too high (100,000 bt per rai) in my opinion.

So just 20+ rai still comprising 7 rai of rice and 7 rai of sugar cane and 1 rai of corn and melons and 3 rai of ponds surrounded by fruit trees.

I just designed a simple farm building (to convert to a farm house at a later stage) made of 12 concrete beams, wooden roof structure (no electric yet) with aluminium roof giving 11 m x 14 m shelter that I will use a third for my two (soon three as the mother is pregnant) cows and a third for egg laying chickens and the other third for storage. I will put proper guters in and collect the rain water in those large concrete vases.

Bought the concrete post (4.5 m and 3.5 m tall) for 9,000 bt and estimate total building cost will be about 120,000 bt

The girl's father lives on the farm (1 km from village house) to look after the cows and his cocks.

I still look at buying a tractor but will buy when I am living there because these things need proper maintenance that I can do.

I have a simple Honda Wave 110cc that I let her dad use when I am not there. I have to say that the Thais have no understanding or respect of mechanical equipment and will not maintain it until it stops working. Everytime I go there, I have at least the oil changed and her father is baffled that I do this.

Boy have things changed but maybe all same old same old. Well done as always Loong. You answered this as best as it can be answered the question is how does it work. Wife found some land 8 years ago about 2k from village home and we bought 14 rai. It was about 24 plots for rice. I found a driller and we found good water. I brought in 28 high voltage poles, transformer and juice. In the process started rebuiding the main municipal levee on major water course to stop constant flooding using my custom Ford forever as we don't count litres of diesel in thousands of litres; will call it tens of thousands and forget if we are into hundreds of. Built a box scraper and leveled the plot over a process of many years in a logical sustainable manner (remember, what is the use of using the King's or any other philosophy if it isn't sustainable, organic and chem free) yap yap yap. we went thru three major floods in the last seven years and at least three good droughts (some in the same years) and now finally we are close to 30:30:30:10. The entire single semi-rectangular plot now is completely surrounded in a klong the dirt from it used to create a two meter high levee around the plot to keep cross contamination and floods out and also used as an all season planting area for primary crops of bananas, lemon grass and galanga. A first large ''smaller'' lake was dug and spoils were used for levee around it and to increase height of main levee road and small home site and fruit tree orchard. Two years ago put in the final ''big'' lake and spoils increased the size of non-floodable orchard and home-site land and levee reconstruction. After 50 and 200 year floods we got the 1000 year floods originating out in some remote mountains in Cambodia and then I would assume (the rest of Thailand was rather benign at this moment) some foolish move by some foolish official dumped water from a reservoir many plenty many kilos away near Cambodian border and out of nowhere our Buriram/Surin border area was under nearly two meters of water as my main levee roads held (barely as just inches from breaching) but gov levee upstream let loose and flooded horrendously and hydraulically destroyed one of our two meter farm levees, Another year of a quick excavator repair and tear down of the existing levee to redesign our levee so we have a bypass now for the 5000 year floods. All non-rice land was unaffected by the flooding so design is right just the by-pass was needed.

Still the key is you must live on this place full time as this year finally disc went in lumbar ( nothing similar to the tractor into the klong after getting nearly three dozen hits from these guys about five years ago this link is from two years after that http://www.phuketword.com/18247/ ) (also probably decent source of my disc issue amongst other crash and bun events in my life)and i wasn't available to baby-sit the place (still no falang standard home, though state of art shower and toilet) and with all the water and well and 7 meter high tank house tower and tanks and piping to half the farm it was mismanaged and the drought created a rather weedy lower quality rice harvest. Still my wife said the waterways were teaming with roiling boiling fish during the harvest (we didn't introduce any fingerlings this year as I was dealing with back issues yap ayap yap.). got the rice in and spread and dried where future house and orchard will be and the day after sacked up outrageous down pours and the late harvesters suffered considerably. So we finally got lucky ha ha ha at not even acouple hundred kilos a rai. I'd say a bit off the 1000 that I hope to attain. still wife and bro in laws went to Loei to enjoy the eve of the New year and came back to harvest the fish and got a big snakefish and.......................................................... that was it, one fish for hours of work, As when we had put fingerlings in the small lake and they were all beautiful 1/2 kilo plus harvest ready taste like candy beauties. we arrived at late afternoon to harvest the next morning and the water was roiling with fish, Next day not a one (newbies they electrocute and steal). So the system or philosophy works but if you don't live on the plot 24/7 forget it as all the old timers here know.

i have a look here every six months or so and don't find anything very new and interesting but enjoy seeing rice555 doing well as I think he is and was doing the King's ''project'' when i first joined in. We are very close to being where we need to be and eventually will start to build a house to be a home when I dump the farm in the narco traffico pit that Mexico has become.

So for you newbies it is all nothing but hard work as farming is everywhere on earth. Most of the farmers I've known by the time they reach my age mid 60's are as twisted into a pretzle as I got but I am coming back (no pun intended there) though the Dr's say no more lifting, bending and stay off the tractor!! (no more 20 hour days?? on my Ford??). I came to this site to get a phone # to buy some Pah teung (sun hemp cover crop for green manure) seed as we weren't sufficiently economical enough in my absence to have enough for this year but the bros and my wife came through and got in the first crop so will get more to broadcast after soaking the rice fields and hemp in EM in six weeks then turn it all in with the ''18'' and the Ford; as no bros left in the village and the only guy who we could get to work on a consistent basis (see as once in two blue moons or so) got a motorcycle and a bit of a cash advance and of course as the regs know that was a guarantee we would never see him again. Ideally another six weeks after that we can get one more crop in before rice time and get ehough N into the ground but much more importantly get rid of many of the miserable weeds that got a go on us this year. Talked to Dr Treelove and Issan Aussie the last couple days and hopefully Treelove who just came back toThailand from SF Bay Area (California) will have info and be looking for help in regards to a tree project he is trying work out with the Thai gov and will hopefully get some good results and input from a conference he is organizing at Chiang Mai University. Choke Dee Don and all ya guys. As my hometown jug band once sang what a long strange trip it's been. I've never done this before and not sure if it works but what the heck maybe it will work. Let's see and of course if not on the golf course Fords Foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bammm wasps stops tops and....... I've never seen this and it popped up as I looked for the song Trucking you won't see me there as i was in Mombasa running for my life from false accusations from friends of Idi Amin and this is I'm sure for Bill Graham who had died in a helicopter crash but Dead they are and dead now are Kesey and Jerry and Ramrod and his lovely wife Francis and Fruity and and and long yes, strange yes, a trip for sure but if we are all going to hell in bucket might as well enjoy the ride. peace and love and catch all you usual subjects in couple more years if i don't catch a bullet or two in Mexico in a couple months.

I thought you road off into the sunset spreading joy.

I'm still stuck with, Farms in Berkley and old Mc Donald, I've got a CD of him and Captain Trips doing some tunes.

To be more OT, I'm to rusty and missing parts to start the 30-30-30-10, I was a big fan of the Have More Plan, but work

in the city don't let you do that.

Good to see some words, first time Dead, Santa Clara, Continual Roller Rink, 2 month before Crown of Creation was

released. Was stuck in Kanass for a time while my friends were doing The Filmore/Long Shoreman's Hall/Avalon and

Beings in the Park.

Lost in the ozone again.

rice555

post-37242-0-69041100-1420823131_thumb.j

post-37242-0-33990200-1420823161_thumb.j