90 day report hassle Chaengwattana

So, I was doing my 90 day report the other day and I had some unexpected problems. First the officer seemed really confused by the fact that my visa was done in another (neighbouring) province. I explained that I worked in the other province but lived in Bangkok. She brought this up at least 3 times. Then she asked to see the rental contract, which I didn't have as it's not a requirement and I really wasn't expecting to run into trouble with this. Communication was difficult as she didn't speak English and while my Thai was good enough to answer the questions she was asking it wasn't good enough to figure out what her problem was. In the end I rang my Thai girlfriend and got her to speak to the officer. It tuned out that one of the things she was concerned about was that the manager of my condo hadn't reported I was living there. Which was annoying because, for one, it's not my responsibility to do this, and two, when I extended my visa a few months ago they also hassled me about it and made me go back to my building manager and get the form he's supposed to fill in signed and bring it back to them. Which I did. Anyway, in the end she let me do the report, but she acted like she was doing me a big favour rather than just her job. Not sure if she was just having a bad morning or if it's part of a wider 'crackdown' on foreigners living and working legally in Thailand. Just a heads up for anyone about to do their reporting.

She was doing he job. You get the extension of stay for the location where you live, not where you work. That made her question you more as there was a discrepency between where you go for tyour extension and where you do your 90 day reporting. That should be the same place, unless you move off course.

Enforcement of the address reporting is a known fact for condo's etc. So no surprise there.

• Like 1

Then she asked to see the rental contract, which I didn't have as it's not a requirement ...

Proof of your current address during the 90 day report and especially to demonstrate that you're using the right immigrations office is a legitimate thing for the officer to ask about.

Anyway, in the end she let me do the report, but she acted like she was doing me a big favour rather than just her job.

Sounds as though she did do you a favor and she was doing her job. Given your feeling that you know more than she does and that she doesn't have the discretion to require you to satisfy any questions she may have, you were lucky. Your condo manager may have failed to fulfill his responsibility, but that's hardly the immigrations officer's fault.

when I extended my visa a few months ago

Visas can't be extended or renewed. Possibly you got an extension of stay ... which is not a visa, but just an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand. That's why you need a re-entry permit to exit and return to Thailand ... you no longer have a valid visa.

Sounds like there's several things you haven't got quite right.

i see value in a 1000 baht reentry permit and a day trip to cambodia ( visa 1200 baht) purely to avoid having to visit that place. it's such bad news.

You can mail in your 90 day reports.

You can also do them at the Imperial World Lad Phrao or Major Hollywood Suksawat offices.

i see value in a 1000 baht reentry permit and a day trip to cambodia ( visa 1200 baht) purely to avoid having to visit that place. it's such bad news.

Unless you fly to Cambodia and get the re-entry permit at the airport, you would still have to visit "that place" to get your re-entry permit. You could, of course, get a multiple re-entry permit instead (would only require one visit) but that would be 3,800 baht not 1,000.

And as already mentioned, for just a the cost of a couple of stamps you can do your report by mail instead.

Sophon

She was doing he job. You get the extension of stay for the location where you live, not where you work. That made her question you more as there was a discrepency between where you go for tyour extension and where you do your 90 day reporting. That should be the same place, unless you move off course.

Enforcement of the address reporting is a known fact for condo's etc. So no surprise there.

Actually my extension/WP etc is done in BKK and has a BKK company address on it and my official residential address is in Rayong and I report at Maptuphut

Been this way for many years without issue

Why the OP is working here, not a visa runner, pikey or someone abusing their Ed visa

Are you sure that is quite right, Mario?

Extensions of stay which are to large extent handled by your company are done where the company is registered, not where the employees live.

You can also do them at the Imperial World Lad Phrao or Major Hollywood Suksawat offices.

Only some offices permit reporting by mail, not all of them.

My office, Korat, does not permit reporting by mail.

Only some offices permit reporting by mail, not all of them.

My office, Korat, does not permit reporting by mail.

It is true there are some offices that don't allow 90 day reports but Bangkok immigration does and that is the office the comment was about.

You sound like a candidate for the TE visa. For only 500000 baht, the TE folks will process your 90-day reports for you...so instead of fighting your way down to Cheng Wattana for half a day, you only have to fight your way down to Sathorn/Silom area, twice, to drop off and collect your passport and documentation.