True, Is It Worth Upgrading

marquess

Browsing through True's website I noticed that the difference between the 512 package and the 1024 is only 140 baht excluding vat! Now I have two questions, will it really make a difference upgrading, at the moment I get on average about 350kps, would this mean that I would now get 700kps? Secondly are upgrades easy to do, or does one have to go through the whole nonsense of signing a new contract and having people pook around? Thanks in advance!

Browsing through True's website I noticed that the difference between the 512 package and the 1024 is only 140 baht excluding vat! Now I have two questions, will it really make a difference upgrading, at the moment I get on average about 350kps, would this mean that I would now get 700kps? Secondly are upgrades easy to do, or does one have to go through the whole nonsense of signing a new contract and having people pook around? Thanks in advance!

Almost worthless. Thinking that I'm paying about 2000 baht for a 4096/512 package and I never reached more than 2300kbps :o I am contemplating with the ideea of downgrading it to a 2048/512 package, but I'm scared that than I will only get half of the speed (1024/512) .

It's not worth it. I used to have a 1MB package. I never got more than 500k for a long time so I downgraded to 512k as I couldn't see the point of paying for something I wasn't getting. There result is that there has been no noticeable change in speed (they did suggest that there might be, and I suggested that I might switch to another company if that happened, but nothing seemed to change).

I had no problems changing package, but if you want to get a better speed you probably need to look at one of the 'commercial' packages.

Yep, the answer is a resounding "NOOOOOOOOOOOO".

I've tried several places where the installed speed was 2.5mbits. The actual tested speed for international sites never exceeded 300kbits. Pathetic. Local transfers, of course, were up to 2.5mbits, so there was NOTHING wrong with the line itself.

YES!

If you like to surf/ web download 4am-8am. Outside these hours you'll get the same as anybody else, but during these hours you get almost top speed (2.5 Mbs = 267 Kilobytes/second max).

If you get an average of 350kbs you might consider yourself lucky. Speeds outside the hours mentioned are usually 80-100 kbs.

Edited by sniffdog

YES!

If you like to surf/ web download 4am-8am. Outside these hours you'll get the same as anybody else, but during these hours you get almost top speed (2.5 Mbs = 267 Kilobytes/second max).

If you get an average of 350kbs you might consider yourself lucky. Speeds outside the hours mentioned are usually 80-100 kbs.

Exactly. That's how I became an insomniac :o

I've recently downgraded from 2.5mb package to 512k.

I've experienced no loss in perormance.

Reading this thread, I'd say that the summary seems to be that you actually do get what you pay for (well, relatively I mean).

The price difference between these service levels is so small that it perfectly reflects the reality :o you get a service that is barely different, except if you download when everyone else is sleeping!

--Lannig

Almost worthless. Thinking that I'm paying about 2000 baht for a 4096/512 package and I never reached more than 2300kbps :o I am contemplating with the ideea of downgrading it to a 2048/512 package, but I'm scared that than I will only get half of the speed (1024/512) .

To Alex Th

I have the 1024 kbps package now and I receive only 100 kbps from Europe in the afternoon, 300 in the morning and some times more at night. I have always at least 900 kbps within Thailand.

You mention 2300 kbps when you pay for 4096 kbps. It looks a very good rate to me IF it's with overseas. I'd sign right away. Now, if it's within Thailand it's upsetting.

Please clarify if you receive 2300 from overseas or from next door.

Thank you

G~

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 256/128 package, and I typically see 128 Kbps downloads. Note that True's contract says they only specify 256 Kbps to their premises, which is only half the story. That way, they can direct you to the speed test on their web site and declare they are providing you with the contracted bandwidth.

Most likely they have failed to build out their infrastructure on the back end. They can hide behind their argument that they have no control over the "other websites on the Internet", but the fact of the matter is that they are constrained on the outgoing side. Until they see a reason to build this out (READ: Until they lose customers to other providers), they have little incentive to improve their service.

I, too, am considering upgrading to 512 Kbps, but I'd like to test it first. The contract on their website indicates a minimum of a one-year contract. Does anybody know if that only applies to new service, rather than upgrades?

Also, is there another provider in Bangkok that provides better throughput/reliability? I've heard that True was the best broadband provider in the area.

I downgraded from 1024 to 512 and highly recommend it. I can't notice any difference in speed at all--online gaming, downloading, mail, web browsing, vpn, ftp is the same speed as before. In fact, the 256 package is probably an even better choice since my speeds are generally even below that. For me it is not about saving money, it's more about not being fooled into giving them money for nothing.

I downgraded from 1024 to 512 and highly recommend it. I can't notice any difference in speed at all--online gaming, downloading, mail, web browsing, vpn, ftp is the same speed as before. In fact, the 256 package is probably an even better choice since my speeds are generally even below that. For me it is not about saving money, it's more about not being fooled into giving them money for nothing.

Here here to that! Perhaps the more people downgrade, the maybe someone will finally wake and realise that they are just fleecing customers and try and make a real effort to improve the service. When I first got True in 2004, one used to be able to ring the customer serivice dept and speak to someone straight away, but now they realise what utter rubbish they are providing, and all the customer service reps are hiding behind an automated system!