Good places to take a girl on a date?

BuffaloRescue

Hi

Im just looking for suggestions on cool places to take a chick on a date in Chiang Mai.

Places to eat, but also maybe some fun activities too.

Any ideas? Not looking necessarily for fancy restaurants just fun relaxed places to get to know someone

Please don't suggest "shopping" or "gold shop" lol

• Like 1

depends which side of town you are on? Thaepe end lots of places for a glass of wine etc and Nimman end lot's of small wine bars too - well that's where I take my dates

I would NOT suggest top of Maya which is crowded, noisy and 'Thai' you need quiet, smoochy and seductive whistling.gif

• Like 1

Decent first date depending on your budget

Flushed with $$& - Fujian / Le Cor / Dhara Dhevi Cafe - all Instagram moments for the Thais and very impressive

On a budget - Fuji / movies / malls - you have your 5 picks ; Baan Suan Cafe / One Fine Day in Hang Dong area ...all cool in the weather now and quiet for conversations

On an extreme budget - head to the students area @ CMU and packed it in :)

Edited by LawrenceChee
  • Like 1

Dayli is hard to beat for combination of food/drink/ambiance....closed until Sunday....very fun to watch Soccer there with the Thais and I'm not really a fan. Attended restrooms, also. Nimman Soi 11. Or you could rob a bank and go to Beer Republic or El Patio. Agreed Lism is cool, and in fact the same live band that almost always plays at Dayli from 2100-2230, also plays at Lism, Better outdoor setting at Dayli, though.

IMO you would be much better taking her to a nice Thai place, my first thought is Tha-Nam along T. Padaed by the river.

Extremely popular with Thai's and some foreigners, good food, and if she wants sticky rice let her have it.

Very nice setting, not expensive and I think she would like the fact you've considered what she might like to eat.

I think a more apt description now is "extremely popular with coachloads of Chinese tourists and anyone else who can get a table"

Yes thats flippant but this restaurant is on my doorstep and I see they have already tapped the Chinese tour companies.

Not to say it isnt great; but maybe choose your day and time carefully, book ahead and prepare for 1000bt plus for a 2 person feed. imho thats a step too far for a first date.

Having said that, I am not knocking Thanam its up there with the best without a doubt.

IMO you would be much better taking her to a nice Thai place, my first thought is Tha-Nam along T. Padaed by the river.

Extremely popular with Thai's and some foreigners, good food, and if she wants sticky rice let her have it.

Very nice setting, not expensive and I think she would like the fact you've considered what she might like to eat.

I think a more apt description now is "extremely popular with coachloads of Chinese tourists and anyone else who can get a table"

Yes thats flippant but this restaurant is on my doorstep and I see they have already tapped the Chinese tour companies.

Not to say it isnt great; but maybe choose your day and time carefully, book ahead and prepare for 1000bt plus for a 2 person feed. imho thats a step too far for a first date.

Having said that, I am not knocking Thanam its up there with the best without a doubt.

Yes, it's on my doorstep too and I have been aware of the coachloads of Chinese. It's a riot watching them cross the road from the car park.

However, I haven't found the prices too steep, a whole fish 180/200 baht, regular dishes around 80/90 baht. My bill for two, though I only drink coke usually comes to around 500/600 baht.

Mostly though I eat right next door at the humble Happy Green Vegetarian 50 baht or 70 baht buffet. wink.png

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Dayli is hard to beat for combination of food/drink/ambiance....closed until Sunday....very fun to watch Soccer there with the Thais and I'm not really a fan. Attended restrooms, also. Nimman Soi 11. Or you could rob a bank and go to Beer Republic or El Patio. Agreed Lism is cool, and in fact the same live band that almost always plays at Dayli from 2100-2230, also plays at Lism, Better outdoor setting at Dayli, though.

dayli is a very mediocre place found the food there very average ,and pricey,to make up for the cheap beer,i guess,

And if the Lass doesn't drink alcohol? Restaurants and Cafe's galore keep Thai's happy as eating is their favourite hobby. Don't worry too much about making impressions; show her the real you for better or worse.

most if not all (cafe) is just a name for a thai resturant,

dayli is a very mediocre place found the food there very average ,and pricey,to make up for the cheap beer,i guess,

Their food prices are more in line with other thai places in the Nimman area....and they have gone up a lot over the years. Beer prices still 40% less. Facebook says 4.1 for Dayli, 4.1 for Why Not, and 4.2 for Beer Republic....Ambiance is better at Dayli.....and your bill?

I've heard experts say that dinner, especially formal dinner, is not a good first date. The reason: a bad meal could really taint an otherwise burgeoning relationship. A good cheap meal will be more appreciated with fewer strings attached...especially if it is some village girl. A plate of lasagna would probably sicken her, IF she actually ate it. Good casual drinking without worrying about the price is more likely to end well, and you can always get the 5 thb satay sticks off the street.

• Like 1

It would depend on your ages?

If you are 60 and she is 20, the advice would be different to you 30 and her 30.

The thread title says "girl" so that would probably put her under 20 and perhaps under 18. The op chronological age or psychological age?

So many on this forum seem go for the girls but not the women or ladies. Women/ladies really are better on many accounts.

When I still took chicks out to dinner I usually picked a nice Thai place, but seriously off the beaten track and a bit different/interesting.

Those places are mostly gone now, or no longer off the beaten track. So present day equivalents may include Nasi Jampu way out past Sangkamphaeng, or Huan Jai Yong (same direction, half way there). (Not sure they open in the evening though)

Main goal is to get them out of their comfort zone, and preferably secluded/remote so no risk of meeting anyone she knows. But still a place that will impress them. (And by extension impress their Facebook friends after posting pictures. wink.png )

My favorite spot back then was a place on a little lake with lots of plants and trees, tucked away off the old Lamphun Road near Nam Phueng. Scared the hell of them initially to be driven deep into dark sois, to only get to a completely beautiful spot exactly as promised.

Galare somewhat fits that bill as well. As did the place near the Huay Kaew waterfall; big wood & bamboo structure, very secluded. (Huan Huay Kaew? Not sure it's still open and still good. Looked like this:

post-64232-0-45065700-1420722421_thumb.j

( Then get them drunk. smile.png )

(Well, not really drunk, but some token alcohol so they have something to blame. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Galae restaurant is quite nice for a date.

Food and service are sh_it though, and it's a bit pricey.

Might as well go to the Tawanron in the same area, better food, better service.

I went to Galae 3 times now, each time when I get visitors. People love it, the setting next to the lake and the flowers is very beautiful. Food was good each time, yes a bit pricey. If I remember I paid about 1400 baht for 4 people. Service was ok.

I've been to Tawanron once which is ok too. Personally I prefer Galae, the atmosphere is nicer but looks like you made some bad experiences.

Alternatively if you like a place on the river, I'd recommend Samsen restaurant, a bit pricey (about 800-1000 baht for 2 person) but nice location. Traditional North style restaurant you can find at Baanraiyamyen Restaurant. Great food, nice atmosphere too.

Just my suggestions - feel free to follow others....

Yes, it's on my doorstep too and I have been aware of the coachloads of Chinese. It's a riot watching them cross the road from the car park.

However, I haven't found the prices too steep, a whole fish 180/200 baht, regular dishes around 80/90 baht. My bill for two, though I only drink coke usually comes to around 500/600 baht.

Mostly though I eat right next door at the humble Happy Green Vegetarian 50 baht or 70 baht buffet. wink.png

Is that because you go on your bike and get 10% off :rolleyes:

The thread title says "girl" so that would probably put her under 20 and perhaps under 18. The op chronological age or psychological age?

So many on this forum seem go for the girls but not the women or ladies. Women/ladies really are better on many accounts.

My social circle refers to females under 40 or so as girls. The boys and the women both seem to like it like that.

• Like 2

Do something a little exciting and fun.... Go see a 4DX movie. You get the action movie (normal 2 hour show), your seat moves, rain, air, fans, fog, scent, etc etc ... Good fun ! Major has a theater at Central Festival.

There is also a restaurant ( cant think of name) on the main or first floor that has steaks, pizza and other western food and you can sit outside and see all the lights and eat have a drink and chat. I think a good fun night .

Their food prices are more in line with other thai places in the Nimman area....and they have gone up a lot over the years. Beer prices still 40% less. Facebook says 4.1 for Dayli, 4.1 for Why Not, and 4.2 for Beer Republic....Ambiance is better at Dayli.....and your bill?

I've heard experts say that dinner, especially formal dinner, is not a good first date. The reason: a bad meal could really taint an otherwise burgeoning relationship. A good cheap meal will be more appreciated with fewer strings attached...especially if it is some village girl. A plate of lasagna would probably sicken her, IF she actually ate it. Good casual drinking without worrying about the price is more likely to end well, and you can always get the 5 thb satay sticks off the street.

an feel sorry for anyone who thinks the dayli is a resturant the furniture leaves much to be denied,do they still have the dirt floor as well,and the abundance of male staff??.