Bullet tip hits foreign tourist in head at Bangkok's Central World countdown

webfact

Perhaps the bullet should have gone straight up and then straight down...facepalm.gif

Perhaps it depended on the angle the gun was pointed when the trigger was pulled. Vertically it probably would come more or less straight back down. Pointed at an angle less than vertical, then it won't.

a hand held gun could never be held exactly vertical

A mute point, due to the fact that barrels are not made to fire a round in a straight line. They are made so that the trajectory of the round is an arc, landing at the correct zeroing point at the correct distance for that weapon system. The reason this is done is because of gravity, the round will fall as it is in flight, so the barrel will be made to fire the round at a slight upwards angle to allow for the fall of the round. :-)

Barrels are made to shoot as straight as the money spent in making the barrel. In normal, horizontal or semi horizontal shooting situations, gravity pulls the bullet down and velocity and balilstic co-efficient (shape-weight) only decide how far it travels as it falls. The gun muzzle is tipped up in anything other than a short range shot, to compensate for this. Thus, in normal shooting conditions the bullet passes through the line of sight twice, One going up & once coming down. Re people being killed by falling bullets. If the gun is pointed more or less straight up, the bullet reaches the end of it's upward journey & comes back down according to the usual formula. If the bullet is heavy enough at maximum rate of fall to have enough energy to kill someone then it doesn't matter if it was shot up there or dropped out of a plane or off a tower. On the way down, the bullet will have stopped revolving at the rifling stabilized rate that it went up and is most unlikely to fall sharp end first. It will tumble as it falls and this will probably keep its velocity a shade below the maximum velocity, I think 16 feet per second/second???? Too long ago that I last read that. I know more than a bit about these things so trust me, this is 100% correct. Except possibly the 16ft/second/second bit. How would you like to be in a field when a dog fight is going on at 10,000 feet above you. Brass .50BMG cases would really hurt from that height, let alone 20mm or 30mm canon shells which are bigger but usually alloy. I bet a few people lost roof tiles & glasshouse panels during the Battle of Britain.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Bullet "tip."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, Thai reporters say the funniest and stupidest things. Who ever says, "bullet tip". She was hit with a "bullet" period. Who could possibly know or care want part of the bullet hit her.

The reporter thinks the entire round is a bullet.

Perhaps it depended on the angle the gun was pointed when the trigger was pulled. Vertically it probably would come more or less straight back down. Pointed at an angle less than vertical, then it won't.

A mute point, due to the fact that barrels are not made to fire a round in a straight line. They are made so that the trajectory of the round is an arc, landing at the correct zeroing point at the correct distance for that weapon system. The reason this is done is because of gravity, the round will fall as it is in flight, so the barrel will be made to fire the round at a slight upwards angle to allow for the fall of the round. :-)

Where did you get that info?

As an ex weapons instructor in the British Army, my Other Arms Skill at Arms taught me that.

Well, it was only a matter of time. As will be a resulting death, unless serious attention is paid, and serious penalties imposed on the morons (ir)responsible. Preferably utilising the army, rather than the police, who have, in the past, themselves proved ignorant of the potential consequences of such actions.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

As an ex weapons instructor in the British Army, my Other Arms Skill at Arms taught me that.

thats a good one and from a shooting instructor as well, explains why the brits are crappy shots, most weapons makers calibrate their gun sights to allow for the drop over distance, the barrel has to be perfectly straight and the rifling in it makes the round revolve which also effects the trajectory(goes straighter for a longer distance). As you shoot more distant targets the sights are raised causing you to lift the barrel to compensate which in turn gives you a slightly arced shot but over shorter distances this is not needed.

My wifes father showed me a hole in the ceiling of her bedroom at their house in Bangkok where a bullet had entered. He said he noticed pieces of dust and ceiling on the ground and nearby was a bullet.

He thought it was 0.38 caliber bullet.

landed between her bed and desk.

Looking at the object in the plastic baggie, it looks at the bottom of the bullet is brass with jagged edges as if the cartridge exploded.

Doesn't look like a normal bullet fired from a normally working gun.

If that's the case, then she might want to play the lotto as she's one lucky woman.

I am glad to see that this tourist did not get killed by the bullet Tip or other

part of the bullet that hit her.

Thailand can be a pretty crazy place, during a lot of the celebrations, and

I think that this woman got away lucky!

I will still go to Thailand for my holidays, and enjoy myself as best I can.

There are so many places in the world that I will not go now, as I feel it is more

dangerous, going to Europe, and even France and Briton. I certainly

will not go to Russia, or Ukraine, or the Middle East places for my

holidays!, but all that said, I do say my prayers when I am travelling

to and from Thailand and when I am there. Of course I do that here in Canada and the USA

as well, because as was told to me, You can never have too much Good Luck!

Perhaps the bullet should have gone straight up and then straight down...facepalm.gif

I think it w0uld be "mute" point if the gun had a "suppression device" (silencer).

Bullet "tip."

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Yeah, Thai reporters say the funniest and stupidest things. Who ever says, "bullet tip". She was hit with a "bullet" period. Who could possibly know or care want part of the bullet hit her.

How would it read in Thai? You're not in a country with English as a first language.

I have long refused to go to Thai big events as they are far too dangerous. The yahoos throw huge fireworks directly at people, many are vulnerable to bottlenecks in the event of a stampede and I have been struck by a skyrocket fired down Pattaya beach that burned my leg. As it's far too hot to wear protective clothing, I just avoid now.

As someone who has shot competitively I can assure you all of my rifle barrels were as dead straight and thick as I could afford. Are you sure that you are not confusing gun barrels with sights or scopes?