Weird random encounter in Laos - something I didn't understand?

SS1

I was in Laos for a little trip - really liked it and people seemed friendly. Just had this one little weird encounter that I didn't understand and was wondering if it is some kind of a cultural thing.

I was sitting at a bus station with two girls sitting opposite me. They were reading some furniture leaflets and one of them dropped one on the floor and it landed near my feet. Politely, I picked it up and offered it back to her. The girl who dropped it, quickly turned her head away from me and the other one just smiled briefly but made no effort to take it back.

I thought, fine then, if you don't want it and I threw it back on the floor. The girl waited a few seconds and picked it up and started reading it again.

Something cultural I don't understand here or what could this have been about? Really random. I mean for me, even if someone picks up some old receipt that drops out of my pocket, I still say thanks and don't throw it away in front of them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They thought you were a sex tourist, I imagine.

I doubt this, in my early 20's and was with the gf :D

Did you offer it back with your left hand?

If so, you should have offered it with your right hand, or both hands.

Standard practice, considering where the left hand might have been. However, it's now customary in much of SE Asia to always use the right hand, even when offering payment at the 7/11.

Watch a Thai (yeah I know it was Laos - same same but different) and they will invariably use the right hand. If they're offering a gift or something of value, or want to show respect, they will also hold their right elbow with their left hand.

Often when a Thai man shakes hands in the western style he will also hold/touch his right elbow with his left hand.

This could be it! It did fall on my left side, so it might've been that I offered it to them with my left hand too.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They thought you were a sex tourist, I imagine.

I doubt this, in my early 20's and was with the gf biggrin.png

There are no age limits on being a sex tourist, and you were with a Thai girl.

Standard practice, considering where the left hand might have been. However, it's now customary in much of SE Asia to always use the right hand, even when offering payment at the 7/11.

Watch a Thai (yeah I know it was Laos - same same but different) and they will invariably use the right hand. If they're offering a gift or something of value, or want to show respect, they will also hold their right elbow with their left hand.

Often when a Thai man shakes hands in the western style he will also hold/touch his right elbow with his left hand.

Fiction !

• Like 2

Never met a Thai who wouldn't take something from the left hand

BUT

THis part is correct - not so common, but in the 90's much more common

<<Often when a Thai man shakes hands in the western style he will also hold/touch his right elbow with his left hand.

>>

You're making too much out of this. Laos girls are really shy, and more so with foreigners. Making eye contact is too intimate, so they will turn away. If she took it from you, then she would be required to thank you, and they are too shy to even say "khop chai deu". Forget about it, next time, let your girlfriend hand it back.

Jim Magee is spot on.

This right hand, left hand is a load of pants as far as Lao is concerned.

They are shy beyond belief when it comes to talking, interacting with foreigners.

Try Khorb jai (as in heart) next time Jim. Maybe misheard.

Can add Lhai Lhai (same maak maak) deu.

I just stick with Khorb jai unless someone does me a favour in which case Khorb jai lhai lhai.

That sounds exactly how they do things in Indonesia. Left hand for everything, holding their elbow.

It's a Muslim thing, and the left handed thing amazes them when I sign with my left hand. I had to teach myself to use chopsticks with my right hand, as you should not eat or use a fork with the left hand in a restaurant.

I have NEVER seen this done here in Chiang Mai.

"If so, you should have offered it with your right hand, or both hands.

Standard practice, considering where the left hand might have been"

Don't quite understand the above. Would they not be considering where the right hand might have been if you are right handed?

You're making too much out of this. Laos girls are really shy, and more so with foreigners. Making eye contact is too intimate, so they will turn away. If she took it from you, then she would be required to thank you, and they are too shy to even say "khop chai deu". Forget about it, next time, let your girlfriend hand it back.

Jim Magee is spot on.

They are shy beyond belief when it comes to talking, interacting with foreigners.

I just stick with Khorb jai unless someone does me a favour in which case Khorb jai lhai lhai.

Or you could say kop jai lai lai ILLIE der where illie means ching ching or Really/Truly/Honestly.

What is this anyway ? ..... an attempt to share your ability to speak 5 words of Laos ?

I can speak Laos quite well much to the dismay of Isaan people and especially the fat bar girls.

They HATE it they really do which make me LOVE using it MORE and MORE.

What I really like is when (for ONE example) I ask for a chorn (spoon) in Laos language (buang) and they don't know this word. I ask them why does a "falung" know more Laos language then an Isaan girl. Just love it !

If the OP thought that was weird he should try Tokyo. Japanese people won't go anywhere near a foreigner and on the Metro it becomes blatantly obvious when both seats next to you are empty and all the locals are standing rather than sit near you. I started to laugh after a while because the doors would open and, typical of any Metro in any country, the people entering the train car nearly run to empty seats, that is until they see a foreigners face then skid to a halt and go the other direction. And yes, I was showered and dressed well so no excuse there.

• Like 1

Another Westerner wanting Asians to behave by HIS standards. Girls are taught to be shy. What you should have done is pick up the paper and place is on the bench but not close to the girl. That way, she does not have to acknowledge you nor show any inappropriate interest in you.... and that would be just ANY interest.

That would allow her to get the paper without interacting directly with you.wai.gif

BTW, after asking hundreds of people in SEA, I can not find any native here who says the "do not use the left hand rule" is true. I think this idea was recently perpetuated by the Lonely Planet guidebook which wanted to, again, appear expert on secret foreigners' habits, real or made up.bah.gif

The rule about handing things in SEA is

-use either hand in casual settings.

-use both hands if you wish to show honor to the person.

-put money donations in a white envelope to give to wat or monk... or if spontaneous, let the monk put the money inside the leaves of a book, but never hand it to him nor expect him to take it.

How can anyone live here more than a few months and not get clued in to these matters???blink.png

Oh, DO use the right hand in India, and when you are there, you will see why.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Jim Magee is spot on.

Or you could say kop jai lai lai ILLIE der where illie means ching ching or Really/Truly/Honestly.

What is this anyway ? ..... an attempt to share your ability to speak 5 words of Laos ?

I can speak Laos quite well much to the dismay of Isaan people and especially the fat bar girls.

What I really like is when (for ONE example) I ask for a chorn (spoon) in Laos language (buang) and they don't know this word. I ask them why does a "falung" know more Laos language then an Isaan girl. Just love it !

It's got everything to do with geography.

If your in Nakhom Phanom or Mukdahan they will understand you speaking Lao, but Roi Et, Udon Thani etc not many would be able to converse in Lao.

People Issan don't naturally or automaticly know Lao because a few bargirls have learnt a little bit from the Lao girls.

"If so, you should have offered it with your right hand, or both hands.

Standard practice, considering where the left hand might have been"

Don't quite understand the above. Would they not be considering where the right hand might have been if you are right handed?

to a muslim or a hindu anything to do with the left hand is dirty, it's the hand you wipe your bum with, that's why they cut the right hand off thieves in saudi.....everything they touch is dirty! wink.pngwai.gif

Classic example of what happens if you accidently leave your flies undone with the one eyed monk just peeping out or threatening to do so.

Entirely accidental but a cultural no no especially if victim has to stoop down and fall within target area of full pounce drop out.

Don't worry about it. Just check your flies zip is working properly.

Classic example of what happens if you accidently leave your flies undone with the one eyed monk just peeping out or threatening to do so.

Entirely accidental but a cultural no no especially if victim has to stoop down and fall within target area of full pounce drop out.

Don't worry about it. Just check your flies zip is working properly.

Jim Magee is spot on.

Oh Geee you speak Lao. Thank you so much. Everybody was waiting for you. Please continue.....clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by Jimbolai