Weird random encounter in Laos - something I didn't understand?

SS1

You're making too much out of this. Laos girls are really shy, and more so with foreigners. Making eye contact is too intimate, so they will turn away. If she took it from you, then she would be required to thank you, and they are too shy to even say "khop chai deu". Forget about it, next time, let your girlfriend hand it back.

Jim Magee is spot on.

This right hand, left hand is a load of pants as far as Lao is concerned.

They are shy beyond belief when it comes to talking, interacting with foreigners.

Try Khorb jai (as in heart) next time Jim. Maybe misheard.

Can add Lhai Lhai (same maak maak) deu.

I just stick with Khorb jai unless someone does me a favour in which case Khorb jai lhai lhai.

Or you could say kop jai lai lai ILLIE der where illie means ching ching or Really/Truly/Honestly.

What is this anyway ? ..... an attempt to share your ability to speak 5 words of Laos ?

I can speak Laos quite well much to the dismay of Isaan people and especially the fat bar girls.

They HATE it they really do which make me LOVE using it MORE and MORE.

What I really like is when (for ONE example) I ask for a chorn (spoon) in Laos language (buang) and they don't know this word. I ask them why does a "falung" know more Laos language then an Isaan girl. Just love it !

Thanks for the spoon lesson.coffee1.gif

The good folk in Issan are lucky to have you explain things.

Did you offer it back with your left hand?

If so, you should have offered it with your right hand, or both hands.

Standard practice, considering where the left hand might have been. However, it's now customary in much of SE Asia to always use the right hand, even when offering payment at the 7/11.

Watch a Thai (yeah I know it was Laos - same same but different) and they will invariably use the right hand. If they're offering a gift or something of value, or want to show respect, they will also hold their right elbow with their left hand.

Often when a Thai man shakes hands in the western style he will also hold/touch his right elbow with his left hand.

oh lordy are you a b/s con man or what? do not pay attention to this bar stool commando, he could not find the start of a 3 person circle jerk :-)

Another Westerner wanting Asians to behave by HIS standards. Girls are taught to be shy. What you should have done is pick up the paper and place is on the bench but not close to the girl. That way, she does not have to acknowledge you nor show any inappropriate interest in you.... and that would be just ANY interest.

That would allow her to get the paper without interacting directly with you.wai.gif

BTW, after asking hundreds of people in SEA, I can not find any native here who says the "do not use the left hand rule" is true. I think this idea was recently perpetuated by the Lonely Planet guidebook which wanted to, again, appear expert on secret foreigners' habits, real or made up.bah.gif

The rule about handing things in SEA is

-use either hand in casual settings.

-use both hands if you wish to show honor to the person.

-put money donations in a white envelope to give to wat or monk... or if spontaneous, let the monk put the money inside the leaves of a book, but never hand it to him nor expect him to take it.

How can anyone live here more than a few months and not get clued in to these matters???blink.png

Oh, DO use the right hand in India, and when you are there, you will see why.whistling.gif

"Another Westerner wanting Asians to behave by HIS standards"

He was picking up something she dropped and handing it back to her and you twist that into him trying to make her live by his standards.

Some of the people on here beggar belief.

• Like 2

Standard practice, considering where the left hand might have been. However, it's now customary in much of SE Asia to always use the right hand, even when offering payment at the 7/11.

Watch a Thai (yeah I know it was Laos - same same but different) and they will invariably use the right hand. If they're offering a gift or something of value, or want to show respect, they will also hold their right elbow with their left hand.

Often when a Thai man shakes hands in the western style he will also hold/touch his right elbow with his left hand.

OMG - what a crock!

It's not a crock. It might not apply in this situation and it might be something that isn't always adhered too, but it's not like he's just invented this out of thin air. It's a real thing.

Yeah sure it is, out in the hills somewhere..... Must be where you can't hold hands with your girl until your married...farmer land culture educated NOT

That sounds exactly how they do things in Indonesia. Left hand for everything, holding their elbow.

It's a Muslim thing, and the left handed thing amazes them when I sign with my left hand. I had to teach myself to use chopsticks with my right hand, as you should not eat or use a fork with the left hand in a restaurant.

I have NEVER seen this done here in Chiang Mai.

Muslim thing about the left hand is it is used to wipe your butt and the right is used while making scoops out of pita bread and dipping into a communal bowl for eating.Told this reason in Beirut.

That sounds exactly how they do things in Indonesia. Left hand for everything, holding their elbow.

It's a Muslim thing, and the left handed thing amazes them when I sign with my left hand. I had to teach myself to use chopsticks with my right hand, as you should not eat or use a fork with the left hand in a restaurant.

I have NEVER seen this done here in Chiang Mai.

Muslim thing about the left hand is it is used to wipe your butt and the right is used while making scoops out of pita bread and dipping into a communal bowl for eating.Told this reason in Beirut.

Never let the bottom of your feet be pointed at a Muslim either.

If the OP thought that was weird he should try Tokyo. Japanese people won't go anywhere near a foreigner and on the Metro it becomes blatantly obvious when both seats next to you are empty and all the locals are standing rather than sit near you. I started to laugh after a while because the doors would open and, typical of any Metro in any country, the people entering the train car nearly run to empty seats, that is until they see a foreigners face then skid to a halt and go the other direction. And yes, I was showered and dressed well so no excuse there.

You are known as a beef eater and they claim beef eaters smell different from it and very offensive to their nostril passages.

Shit....I'm left-handed!! I guess my days in SEA are numbered?sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0H2ViQW7Pp

Takes a lot of retraining, believe me. Change the wallet from the right hand to the left., extract money with the right hand, give it to the cashier.

Learning to change hands using chopsticks took some practice, but I got there! Can't manage more than a cross when it comes to signature.

It is even more essential in Indonesia and possibly Malaysia, as they have NOT moved forward.

nobody follows the left hand thing anymore..that's in ancient times

Not true. In Nakhon Sawan I see the old guys sitting eating food at the street vendors and they eat with their fingers only using their right hand. I've never been to Lao but I expect it is not as westernized as Thailand.

Not true. In Nakhon Sawan I see the old guys sitting eating food at the street vendors and they eat with their fingers only using their right hand. I've never been to Lao but I expect it is not as westernized as Thailand.

not saying there are absolutely no one who follows that, but yea old folks might be still following that tradition as they grew up with it, but most have adapted and don't really care anymore

Ever thought that the people you were watching were just right handed.

When you eat with your hands (such as khao niao) you tend to keep one hand clean of food & eat one handed.

When I took my Lao wife's bone out of her nose I hung it on the wall with all other momentous.

Not as westernised doesn't equal not as civilized.

• Like 1