Lost Passport in Chiang Mai

I am in Chiang Mai and have lost my passport with a 60 day visa, that runs from 26 Nov 2014 to 24 Jan 2015, with the intention of applying for a 30 day extension to cover me to 18 Feb 2015 the day I fly home to the UK. My situation starts to become complex as I am suppose to travel south to Kui Buri on 27 Jan 2015 staying to 18 Feb 2015. Will I have to leave on the 24 Jan 2015. I have to get an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) from my Embassy in Bangkok to fly out. Up to how many days before I travel can I get it. My cheapest option is to pay the 500 Baht a day overstay fee (total 12500 Baht) and stay until 18 Feb. Will the hotel in Kui Buri require to see my passport. (I rent a house in Chiang Mai).The ETD is about 5000 Baht. Paying a one way return airfare for 24 Jan 2015 does seem to double this cost on top of my original airfare. The lost Passport has already been reported to the Thai police and I do have a photocopy of my passport page. Any sensible advice would be appreciated.

Since my situation, I have heard that the Law has changed, in regard to tourists, in that you no longer need to carry a passport at all times. If this is so this will be welcome news to many who find this a bind. Anyone like to clarify this.

The ETD does no require you to leave immediately.

You can get your 30 day extension with the ETD since immigration has your record in their database that will show you entered on a tourist visa.

I suggest you get the ETD as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Yes you do not need to carry passport at all times but if the police stop you and ask for it you can be detained until you can present a passport. Sorry there are no free lunches.

No need to carry passport, color laminated copy is OK.

Thai Police says that not me

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787561-searching-foreigners-thonglor-police-leaflet-explaining-search-policy/