Overstay...WHY?

willyumiii

So many excuses,...so little time! 555

All the defensive posts have made this an interesting and popular thread.

Yes there are valid reasons for some overstays and yes,

There are valid reasons for extensions.

That is why they are available.....if you do the paper work!

This is what I call a "raw nerve thread".

You know you have hit a raw nerve when comments are about the OP ( and what defensive people imagine about him) and not the topic.

My original post was about the irresponsible people who overstay and then come on TV to complain and ask for advice on how to "beat it". ( how many hundreds of times have those questions been asked and answered here on TV in the past?)

My post was not about responsible people who have had to overstay for legitimate reasons and have tried to deal with it on the up and up.

The replies do not seem to be from the responsible who had no choice..

Thanks for the input...

Keep squirming !

P.S., the positive comments and likes on this post have outweighed the defensive...

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

Bear in mind the blacklisting rules never came into effect, it's been months now so they're likely shelved - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781882-overstay-on-3-month-non-b-am-i-in-trouble/#entry8767022

Fortunately Thailand is still very welcoming, much more so than some TVF posters.

Not so sure about that one, as when I applied for an extention of stay for my marriage visa (ok not the correct name of it) I had to sign some paper with those blacklisting / fines thing.

Bear in mind the blacklisting rules never came into effect, it's been months now so they're likely shelved - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/781882-overstay-on-3-month-non-b-am-i-in-trouble/#entry8767022

Fortunately Thailand is still very welcoming, much more so than some TVF posters.

Not so sure about that one, as when I applied for an extention of stay for my marriage visa (ok not the correct name of it) I had to sign some paper with those blacklisting / fines thing.

At least half a dozen threads on that going back months, those forms are just a warning, for proposed changes, that never went into effect. See here, just a warning that 'means nothing' other than being a way to 'get the word out' in UJ's words.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752040-the-new-form-acknowledging-stricter-overstay-rules/

But they've likely been shelved (again in UJ's words in the link I posted). Thailand regularly proposes changes then rolls back changes, just this particular one was very sensationalized in the media.

At least half a dozen threads on that going back months, those forms are just a warning, for proposed changes, that never went into effect. See here, just a warning that 'means nothing' other than being a way to 'get the word out' in UJ's words.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/752040-the-new-form-acknowledging-stricter-overstay-rules/

But they've likely been shelved (again in UJ's words in the link I posted). Thailand regularly proposes changes then rolls back changes, just this particular one was very sensationalized in the media.

Could be no idea, I am always real careful with these kind of things and would not chance it. But UJ is real knowledgeable and his word, counts for a lot.

So many excuses,...so little time! 555

All the defensive posts have made this an interesting and popular thread.

Yes there are valid reasons for some overstays and yes,

There are valid reasons for extensions.

That is why they are available.....if you do the paper work!

This is what I call a "raw nerve thread".

You know you have hit a raw nerve when comments are about the OP ( and what defensive people imagine about him) and not the topic.

My original post was about the irresponsible people who overstay and then come on TV to complain and ask for advice on how to "beat it". ( how many hundreds of times have those questions been asked and answered here on TV in the past?)

My post was not about responsible people who have had to overstay for legitimate reasons and have tried to deal with it on the up and up.

The replies do not seem to be from the responsible who had no choice..

Thanks for the input...

Keep squirming !

P.S., the positive comments and likes on this post have outweighed the defensive...

Famous last words from the ivory tower!!

Hope your house of perfect paperwork comes tumbling down one day................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Could be no idea, I am always real careful with these kind of things and would not chance it. But UJ is real knowledgeable and his word, counts for a lot.

Several threads from people who went out and left after the changes were announced, e.g. the 11 year overstay guy. No one was blacklisted.

Plus blacklisting was only proposed for >90 days overstay, and there was to be a chance to appeal the decision after the fact.

So an overstayer who had genuine reasons like financial difficulty or medical grounds, or had family here, or could get references from a Thai to help show they weren't involved in any criminal activity here, could be able to get their blacklist reversed. Perhaps by proving their income. (All speculation as blacklisting wasn't passed into law).

No doubt some TVF'ers would have them lynched though.

-willyumiii-

You write about "2 days overstays" and "years and more" in the same sentence, that is,

I believe a completely different pair of shoes.

A day, some days overstay, I had many times since 1990, if it fitted in my, for whatever reason changed travel plans

and the 200, now 500 Baht overstay fine per day, was cheaper or similar to an extension at the Immigration.

That is still, in my eyes a -minor offense-, not worth many words.

Also, nowadays, it can be a problem if you are controlled by Immigration or police and get them in a bad mood. rolleyes.gif

I sometimes joked with the cashing in Immigration officers and mentioned, how good it would be, if all

20.000.000 visitors to Thailand each year, would overstay only 2 days.

Would be, 20.000.000.000.- Baht in the states treasury. 20 Billion Baht. Usually the Immigration officers agree. wink.png

whistling.gif In my over 30 years of coming to Thailand I have only once mistakenly overstayed about 30 days.

My fault totally, I got a 30 day extension, and stupidly thought it was for 60 days, not 30.

My point, it can happen to anybody.

In my defense, the extension entry was blurred, but that's not really a valid excuse.

I should have known better, but I was careless.

its piss, poor, planning before they come here, how many times are people here on visa exempt entry and asking for help/how to extend, why do they not get a tourist visa 1,000 baht ish, when added to the air fare its a pass in the ocean

Might come as a surprise to you, but Thaivisa was originally a webpage, where you could get visa advice!!

We don't all live in the perfect planned world. We fall in love (!!), get drunk or simply loses track!!

I am a planner, but I fully understand people, who occasionally get lost.

Not easy for a first-timer when Thailand comes crashing down on you, with the heat, the smells and the ladies!!

• Like 1

It is because things don't always go as they are planned.

I think this is because so many come here the first time, expecting to spend about a month here, and find themselves having so much fun they want to stay longer. They have no pressing obligations at home and money to spend. So what is so wrong with that?

Many times I have been on vacation to places I wished I could leave sooner, and many more that I wanted to stay longer. It just happens that way as nobody really knows what to expect when they go to a new place. I know, even with prior knowledge, that Pattaya was more than I expected my first time.

"... what is so wrong with that?"

Nothing - if the fun loving criminals follow the law and get their paperwork in order.

its piss, poor, planning before they come here, how many times are people here on visa exempt entry and asking for help/how to extend, why do they not get a tourist visa 1,000 baht ish, when added to the air fare its a pass in the ocean

Oh, now you expect cretins to plan ahead when you know they cannot even keep up with what they know they are required to do.

Typical comment of the ill-mannered and, I daresay, chronic law-breaker.

Racial segregation was law until 1965. Homosexuality was a crime until 1967. Sharia law makes a woman's testimony worth half that of a man's.

Simplistic statements like 'always follow the law' are misguided.

Also you likely incriminate yourself. The average Briton breaks a law once a day - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3044794/How-we-all-break-the-law-every-day.html. Let he who is without sin...

As for overstay it's a victimless crime, really more of a misdemeanour. Thailand gets the money back for 600 days stay (20k is 20 tourist visas) in direct cash when you leave. Often more than they'd get otherwise. Cambodia and Laos miss out on entry visas, and Malaysian owned Airasia on flight tickets.

Edited by jspill

i overstayed in Indonesia by 4 days because i didn't check my visa stamp and i was on a work permit which was still valid for a year. So check stamps is my answer.

For sure that can be a cause. If the Missus wasn't on top of it, I'd probably miss a date or two myself. Not some years of course but a week or so would be an easy miss for me.

Typical comment of the ill-mannered and, I daresay, chronic law-breaker.

Racial segregation was law until 1965. Homosexuality was a crime until 1967. Sharia law makes a woman's testimony worth half that of a man's.

Simplistic statements like 'always follow the law' are misguided.

Also you likely incriminate yourself. The average Briton breaks a law once a day - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3044794/How-we-all-break-the-law-every-day.html. Let he who is without sin...

As for overstay it's a victimless crime, really more of a misdemeanour. Thailand gets the money back for 600 days stay (20k is 20 tourist visas) in direct cash when you leave. Often more than they'd get otherwise. Cambodia and Laos miss out on entry visas, and Malaysian owned Airasia on flight tickets.

You are assuming that this person would be any kinder towards the people you mention in your examples :) Not necessarily, ha

My six month, three entry tourist visa, including registered mail to an agent and back cost about 6,500 Baht… Is your quoted 1,000 baht-ish just a figure of speech or did I get ripped off?

I overstayed last year 35 days. 7 days before my retirement extention due , i had a serious accident.

Iwas unable to do my extention, due to being in a coma.

When i was able to tell my wife she went to immigration, and was treated terribly by them.

They insisted she pay 20.000 baht overstay( before anybody tells me it should have been 17.500) i know but

they insisted she pay or they would get me deported.

Fact she had proof from hospital of my condition did not matter.

Never overstay if it can be avoided, immigration are a law unto themselves when it suits them.

I was in hospital earlier this year during which time I was required to do a 90 day report. I obtained a letter from the hospital and my wife also took a couple of photos to show that I was unable to attend. After they viewed the photos, they told her they did not require the letter and issued the new reporting date, even without wanting print outs of the photos.

Fortunately, I was not in such a condition as yourself but I wonder why they were rude to your wife and would not accept the letter from the hospital, when clearly, that is their rules. Have you tried speaking to the Officer in Charge of the Immigration office that she attended? Seems quite unjust if you were in a coma for that length of time. Maybe you should instruct your wife, that if anything happens to you again, to take action straight away to save any future dramas. Hope you got a receipt for the money paid.

My advice:

Be a responsible adult and do what you need to do when you need to do it.

Is it any wonder immigration look at so many as irresponsible fools when so many are?

What you do and don't do reflects on, and affects many more than just you.

Like it or not, we are all lumped together in the eyes of some.

Yes Sir. The operative word, irresponsible , irrelevant citizens. You can be sure, most of them will have a way to shirk responsibility and bash Thailand. The beautiful host Country to some of the most unappreciative guests.

Ah, me farang, I had to pay 20 baht Thai only pay 19bh.

Obey the law. It will enhance the entire world. Be happy you have a toilet to clean yourself. Not live in.

Edited by nithisa78

I have a friend who was 8 years overstayed and had a very good reason I thought but obviously the OP won't. He had been here over 10 years and when he was due to renew his marriage visa his wife of 8 years was admitted to hospital. He was shocked to find that she had AIDS and she died. He couldn't leave her bedside up country to travel to BKK. After the funeral and discovering he was HIV + and also became an mentally ill with depression. He couldn't afford the overstay. One month led to another then one year to another.

So OP and all the other ignoramuses get off your high perch and have some compassion.

You may become ill one day, physically or mentally - nobody is exempt.

My dearest Neeranam...

I, the OP, do realize that there are justified reasons for an overstay. Illness, death, injury....and there are provisions to deal with all of these.

Even in the event of the death of a close one....life still goes on and so do it's responsibilities.

" I forgot" and I didn't care" just don't cut it.

Sorry, but that is the real world!

Willyumiii would you grass on a person you knew were overstaying?

Still on stuck this one sentence thingy Ram. Come on, it isn't that difficult. Just put one foot in front of the other and bingo, you have it!

Research, research, research. Plan months before you leave home. I did this and found visa info. No need to ask any questions. Covered myself incase I was to overstay my visa, which I never did. I Covered info about border runs (I had a non o when they were easy to get in Hull). Figured out land routes and compared with approx airline prices. In my opinion, I have no idea why people even consider an overstay. With just a bit or research, how difficult is it to look what where you can get a visa, how to get there and how much to pay.

The joys of google. A few words typed in and hours of reading. Especially now with smart phones. So easy to get info.