Promenada - The Beginning of The End?

JLT

Hmmm, let's see.....don't drive here so no parking problems, no kids here, don't have any problems with banking lines, can see a movie in plenty of other places, and can afford my own air conditioning.

I can see why I don't go there if that's the sum of its offerings. Perhaps that's why no one else seems to go there either...and hence the title of thread.

You've been very helpful and I am most appreciative that you took time from your busy day to provide such thoughtful advice.

Winnie took the time to help you because he thought you were serious and you insult him. Way to go, NOT.

If I had to be insulted every time someone writes something on an online forum then I'd really have to set some time aside. wink.png

To be honest I feel the same as he does about Maya, but that could be the other way around if I lived or worked next door to there. With Promenada I pass it several times a day .

I don't understand the complaints by people living downtown about Promenada & access. This mall is not for you. It's for out of towners who appreciate the easy access.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And once you work out that portion sizes in Dukes are vast, and order 1 lasagne for 2 people (enough for us) the cost is certainly not prohibitive- unless you choose to compare with 25baht Pad Thai in the street.

Will they allow you to buy one meal between two people ie pay for one meal only with two sets of cutlery?

I've tried to get my wife into Sizzler on that basis, but she won't do it as she says they won't allow that.

I've never experienced a restaurant that will not allow that. Is there any?

But Sizzler is different as you pay for a meal that includes a large buffet. I can't see how anyone would expect it there.

Follow your wife's advice and save yourself the embarassment of all the staff laughing at you when you pose them such a silly question.

Wow

Thanks for this quote.

I rarely post on this forum due to the aggressive posts i read, and attitude some of the members have.

I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

My wires family, which is now my extended family, live outside of CM in a smaller village in the Mae Hong Son area. Some of them are farming, some are police, some are nurses and some just have small businesses.

I don't really see them as poor at all. They do pretty much the same things as I and my wife do. I reckon I'm in the middle of the pack as far as finances go and I'm not exactly poor.

Thai's are not really that poor. Sure there are many that are but I think that you will find the middle class now in Thailand is actually quite large.

Anyway, I think this comment was very accurate.

Cheers

JT

Some one mentioned a bowling alley with the idea of it being a well maintained one.

Also how about a class Gymnasium.

"Also how about a class Gymnasium."

I might be wrong but my hunch would be that the local demographics wouldn't be suitable for that? Firstly you are relying on only a small percentage of people who are willing to pay money to attend a gymnasium so you would be relying on a lot of people driving there just to exercise? I just don't see that happening

Prices like DUkes? I don't get that one

Must be great being so affluent that you don't get it. A meal there can cost as much as a rice farm worker's monthly wage.

In recent years I have kind of lost my taste for large western meals

so cannot really comment on Dukes meals prices but............

I will say I do still need a burger once a month or so & the burger at Dukes is not only quite good

& consistent but priced lower than a dbl cheeseburger set at Mcdonalds

That is saying something considering the two meals. I don't know about rice farmers but at both Dukes & McDee's I always see many Thai

customers at prime times

I always see many Thai customers at prime times

??? Plenty of very wealthy Thais around, but I guarantee you won't see any rice farm workers eating at Dukes, though their children might be serving you.

My father in law is a rice farmer and he eats at Dukes once a month, has been doing that since it opened. His rice field is not far away.

Must be great being so affluent that you don't get it. A meal there can cost as much as a rice farm worker's monthly wage.

I will say I do still need a burger once a month or so & the burger at Dukes is not only quite good

That is saying something considering the two meals. I don't know about rice farmers but at both Dukes & McDee's I always see many Thai

customers at prime times

??? Plenty of very wealthy Thais around, but I guarantee you won't see any rice farm workers eating at Dukes, though their children might be serving you.

My father in law is a rice farmer and he eats at Dukes once a month, has been doing that since it opened. His rice field is not far away.

our friends who are Lamyai farmers in Chantaburi eat at the Dukes whenever they come to visit Chiang Mai. (and we always get into a bit of a back and forth with them because they always insist on paying the entire bill)!

Bill97 - "My father in law is a rice farmer and he eats at Dukes once a month, has been doing that since it opened. His rice field is not far away."

Oscar 2..."our friends who are Lamyai farmers in Chantaburi eat at the Dukes whenever they come to visit Chiang Mai. (and we always get into a bit of a back and forth with them because they always insist on paying the entire bill)!"

Curious to know, just what has this to do with, "Promenda- The Beginning Of The End"?

Bill97 - "My father in law is a rice farmer and he eats at Dukes once a month, has been doing that since it opened. His rice field is not far away."

Oscar 2..."our friends who are Lamyai farmers in Chantaburi eat at the Dukes whenever they come to visit Chiang Mai. (and we always get into a bit of a back and forth with them because they always insist on paying the entire bill)!"

Curious to know, just what has this to do with, "Promenda- The Beginning Of The End"?

I'm not a rice farmer but my house was built on land that used to be a rice field (I believe) and I eat at dukes and I also occasionally eat rice

If you read the thread you will find that those two comments were in response to thaibeachlover's rather high handed "guaranteed" comment regarding who you would not find eating at Dukes.

It is about who is/will be using the facilities at the Promenada which many folks find relevant to the topic.

But since many of the comments are not relevant to the topic, why did you happen to choose those two to question?

If it were not for The Dukes and Ragu, Promenda might have no customers at all. I only go there for Ragu.

I think you mean to say if it didn't have Dukes or Rago YOU wouldn't go there.

Plenty of people go for other restaurants ( Mix, Miyabi). Or the cinima. Rimping....

Some one mentioned a bowling alley with the idea of it being a well maintained one.

Prom have announced that a fitness centre has signed a contract. Not sure if thats a standard gym or what

Prom have announced that a fitness centre has signed a contract. Not sure if thats a standard gym or what

That is good news. I certainly hope it is one that is kept up with the machines serviced and a staff capable and willing to answer questions. Personally not interested in power lifting but there is room enough there to set aside a section big enough to stock all that is needed for that. Also but not likely to happen some one to patrol the gym and make sure people don't leave equipment laying all around.

Also as was mentioned earlier there is a Toys or Us there.

Edit

There is a KFC there.biggrin.png

That is good news. I certainly hope it is one that is kept up with the machines serviced and a staff capable and willing to answer questions. Personally not interested in power lifting but there is room enough there to set aside a section big enough to stock all that is needed for that. Also but not likely to happen some one to patrol the gym and make sure people don't leave equipment laying all around.

Also as was mentioned earlier there is a Toys or Us there.

Edit

There is a KFC there.biggrin.png

Haha yeah but it's a terrible KFC. 2 times I tried to eat there and they didn't have any chicken! 1 time they said I would have to wait 15mins and another time 25mins!

Just a thought, maybe the new gym will be where the old food court was. If so that would be quite nice and a decent size.

Should probably add that many businesses have signed contracts and then nothing has happened (Mango, some club in the garden zone, fashion tv cafe, that mexican place owned by dukes...probably more that I forget).

So odds on the gym actually happening probably 50:50

Gyms inside major shopping malls don't seem to be a sure bet in Chiang Mai. The gyms at Central Airport and Kad Suan Kaew eventually closed down, and the one at Maya is practically empty at daytime. I really doubt that a gym can survive in an unpopulated mall like Promenada, but I hope I'm wrong. What will work at Promenada is a huge Water Park.

Should probably add that many businesses have signed contracts and then nothing has happened (Mango, some club in the garden zone, fashion tv cafe, that mexican place owned by dukes...probably more that I forget).

I asked Dave's son about the Mexican place. He said it is still on the books. Right now concentrasting on Dukes at the Maya mall. A sure fire winner for Nancy L.tongue.png

Maybe it's the return of California Wow.

If it were not for The Dukes and Ragu, Promenda might have no customers at all. I only go there for Ragu.

I think you mean to say if it didn't have Dukes or Rago YOU wouldn't go there.

Plenty of people go for other restaurants ( Mix, Miyabi). Or the cinima. Rimping....

That is EXACTLY what I meant, but I was responding to a question in the post directly above mine.

Also Fuji and Tsukemen 55 is an interesting ramen shop. (Involves a little pot that you heat at your table). The Southern Thai food in front of Rim Ping is also good.

I asked Dave's son about the Mexican place. He said it is still on the books. Right now concentrasting on Dukes at the Maya mall. A sure fire winner for Nancy L.tongue.png

We'll be having a Ladies Lunch there at the new Dukes at Maya Mall when they open. Many of us live on that side of town and get around by walking and taking song thaews and tuk-tuks. (You've been warned!)

We'll be having a Ladies Lunch there at the new Dukes at Maya Mall when they open. Many of us live on that side of town and get around by walking and taking song thaews and tuk-tuks. (You've been warned!)

Give me the date and the time and I will not warn you.tongue.png

customers at prime times

Try reading my post. I said rice farm WORKERS, not the farmers ( presumably the land owner ). If you earn 3,000 a MONTH, are you going to eat at Dukes? They aren't getting all those great subsidies.

My father in law is a rice farm worker, he works on a rice farm. He does not own the land he works on. Many such people earn a lot more than your implied 3,000 Baht a month.

Nothing implied about the workers earing 3,000 or less, it's a fact.

I don't know what universe you live in, but it's obviously not mine.

I will not be commenting on this anymore. Not because you "won", but because it's boring and just gets deleted anyway.

Archived