Thai Cabinet cool on NHRC call for lifting of martial law

webfact

Cabinet cool on NHRC call for lifting of martial law
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has suggested that the Cabinet lift martial law throughout the country and selectively re-impose it only wherever necessary.

However, the Cabinet has seen no need to lift martial law at the moment, a Government House source said yesterday.

The NHRC also proposed amendments to three security laws - Martial Law Act of 1914, State of Emergency Act of 2005 and Internal Security Act of 2008 - to make it more difficult to impose such legislation and to limit its use, according to the source.

The Cabinet meeting on Tuesday resolved to acknowledge the NHRC's suggestions, the source said yesterday.

The source noted that the laws give more authority to the government and that they have been frequently imposed in Thailand in recent years without necessity.

In certain areas, particularly in the insurgency-hit southern border region, more than one of those laws have been imposed, causing confusion among the local residents, the source said. "The NHRC suggested that the use of those security laws should be limited, as they have negative impacts on the rights and liberties of the people," the source said, adding that there was also concern of abuses by state officials.

The NHRC suggested to the Cabinet that martial law should not be imposed in response to any street protest that is peaceful and unarmed, according to the source. Such law should be used only after a riot or crisis.

The government was urged to set clear conditions for martial law to be imposed, such as at time of war, and the NHRC suggested that martial law should not be invoked along with a military coup, the source said. The NHRC also recommended that a clear timeframe should be stated when martial law is imposed.

The NHRC told the Cabinet that the Martial Law Act should be amended to allow people adversely affected by martial law to seek compensation. It also suggested that amendment should be made to the State of Emergency Act to require that the prime minister seek parliamentary endorsement for extending the state of emergency period. The Cabinet also was asked to amend the Internal Security Act to allow damaged parties to seek compensation.

The Cabinet agreed to certain suggestions on law amendment but it saw no need for lifting of martial law at the moment, according to the source.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Cabinet-cool-on-NHRC-call-for-lifting-of-martial-l-30251546.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-09

I believe martial law is here indefinitely. Most people have got used to it, and those who haven't are of no concern to the present regime. Just ask many farangs. You will often get a shrug of the shoulders and "it doesn't affect me, so why should I be concerned". I would also think the 'elite' in the capital are also quite happy for it to continue.

I would hazard a guess that it will still be here in 2020 - even it it's watered down slightly to make it more palatable for other countries to be able to turn a blind eye.

Why is the NHRC even communicating with the Cabinet?

The Cabinet has no power or authority under the Junta-created government except to carry out the Junta's agenda. The NHRC should be making the request to the NCPO and DEMAND an answer. I suspect the HR Commissioner is being motivated by having to make a report to the UNHRC as to the state of HR affairs in Thailand and he'd would rather not be embarrased to have to report a worsening of conditions in Thailand. And he may find himself replaced with a military general Officer who knows the value of politically correct reports.

"The Cabinet agreed to certain suggestions on law amendment but it saw no need for lifting of martial law at the moment, according to the source."

In some countries the government needs a good reason to impose and maintain martial law, in Thailand the junta likes martial law and needs a good reason to lift it..