Visa ED, only got 2 months extension.

Oh really you mean that WALEN students don't get 3 months?

I am not really sure where that's coming from but nope. 2 months here.

Probably because Walen was just in another thread doing his usual thing.... Taking pop shots at competitors while talking his place up ...... But I guess his students are not immune from the 2 month extensions either.

And he is doing that quiet rightly so!

Most schools have no intentions of teaching but act as visa mills... hence why we are having trouble with extensions... I am also a walen student and I have only been there 5 weeks...however I have learnt so much because the system in use at walen is outstanding. .. I should know as I speak already 3 other languages and have been through many different teaching systems.

So don't talk bad about walen school as they are a real school with real teachers and real results !

She gave no reason, she just checked my papers and said, "2 months *stamp*" and sent me on my way to the next station. I thought it might have been a rule with my visa hitting the 1 year mark but as ubonjoe said, other people reporting getting the same.

I attend Walen Language school. This also means that administration at these schools where students recieve less than 3 months will have more work and now depends on the students immigration outcome.

WALEN School, this school is really terrible, at last my branch, not a <deleted> single right string at documents they prepared. Waste of money and time.

Really ? B.......t ..you talking through your bottom end !

They prepared and executed my paperwork with efficiency and speed and most importantly accuracy. .

Probably because Walen was just in another thread doing his usual thing.... Taking pop shots at competitors while talking his place up ...... But I guess his students are not immune from the 2 month extensions either.

Most schools have no intentions of teaching but act as visa mills... hence why we are having trouble with extensions... I am also a walen student and I have only been there 5 weeks...however I have learnt so much because the system in use at walen is outstanding. .. I should know as I speak already 3 other languages and have been through many different teaching systems.

So don't talk bad about walen school as they are a real school with real teachers and real results !

She gave no reason, she just checked my papers and said, "2 months *stamp*" and sent me on my way to the next station. I thought it might have been a rule with my visa hitting the 1 year mark but as ubonjoe said, other people reporting getting the same.

I attend Walen Language school. This also means that administration at these schools where students recieve less than 3 months will have more work and now depends on the students immigration outcome.

WALEN School, this school is really terrible, at last my branch, not a <deleted> single right string at documents they prepared. Waste of money and time.

Really ? B.......t ..you talking through your bottom end !

They prepared and executed my paperwork with efficiency and speed and most importantly accuracy. .

Are you being serious right now, or joking around? I really can't tell.......

I have a very good relationship with my school and it is not in Bangkok or Pattaya. She said to me (not my teacher one of the main staff who I kind of know on a personal level) that right now in Hua Hin there is no standardized testing, but there will be in the near future. I trust her and if she is wrong, well I am prepared so it does't matter too much for me at least

How many times a week does your school staff is present at immigration? ZERO

Things are changing week by week these days

Ever heard of email and or telephone? They are in contact and know what changes are coming, I have been with this school for 4 years, they know what is going on. But yea you know all your stuff after what, how long have you been learning Thai?

Immigration itself does not know what office is doing what and what officer is applying which new rule, but apparently your school knows it ALL.

Wow

I will keep your contact if I have any question

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

I am really surprised because they always portrait themselves as the perfect school, where you won't get any problem.

Why would a student from the best reputable school, with best attendance and best teaching like WALEN would get only 2 months?

• Like 1

I am really surprised because they always portrait themselves as the perfect school, where you won't get any problem.

Why would a student from the best reputable school, with best attendance and best teaching like WALEN would get only 2 months?

Because of all the past abuse of the ED system .. so it seems one rule applies to all at the moment.

But like you say..things change all the time..let's hope for the better.

I second this. Teachers may be of questionable quality (I doubt any of them ever received any training to teach Thai as a foreign language) and it may be a vehicle for people just to get visas without really studying there. But it does provide reasonable training and I like the fact that they teach reading/writing from day one.

People who are after ED visa just for the purpose of staying in the country are far better off bribing immigration directly (buying an ED visa from immigration directly) and there there will be no issues with extensions or tests.

The problem I had is that immigration officers started harassing everybody out of greed. The genuine students were discouraged to continue education (collateral damage, not of any concern for them anyways).

• Like 1

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I am going to immigration on Monday so I shall make sure to either report back here or make a thread about it. I also have a lisp at the moment because I have smashed my 3 upper front teeth to pieces so that should be fun if there are tests.

I understand that the system is chaotic and unorganized to say the least, but I know this woman and she must know something to say that outright. Sure it could all change by tomorrow, but she said for Hua Hin there are no testing going on for at least a couple of months. She has had no students return stating that they have had to be tested and the school is big so has a lot of students.

Anyway make sure to keep my contact, Kitsune wai.gif

I have a very good relationship with my school and it is not in Bangkok or Pattaya. She said to me (not my teacher one of the main staff who I kind of know on a personal level) that right now in Hua Hin there is no standardized testing, but there will be in the near future. I trust her and if she is wrong, well I am prepared so it does't matter too much for me at least

How many times a week does your school staff is present at immigration? ZERO

Things are changing week by week these days

Ever heard of email and or telephone? They are in contact and know what changes are coming, I have been with this school for 4 years, they know what is going on. But yea you know all your stuff after what, how long have you been learning Thai?

Immigration itself does not know what office is doing what and what officer is applying which new rule, but apparently your school knows it ALL.

Wow

I will keep your contact if I have any question

I'm glad I managed to skip this system...where theres a will theres a way and money helps too.

A few years ago, an agency I had done some visa runs with assisted me with the ED visa. We met, I handed my passport, 2 photos and a fee and within a weeks time my passport was hand delivered back to me with my first 15month ED visa. I did 2 more 1 year extensions on that ED visa the same way. Funny the last extension I did, I actually received a student ID card to a school I had never been too.

However, hearing all these stories of Immigration using their own judgement and enforcement tactics or giving you a Thai test in line has me quite concerned if I am ever hailed on re-entry as the extent of my Thai is nil.

So I'm gonna give up the ED thing for a while and get the Non-B visa/work permit with a company "hiring" me as a "consultant", though I'll never get a paycheck it will put all thaose spot-checks in the immigration line out of my thoughts.

It is what it is... a matter of survival... you gotta do what you gotta do...

I helped a Thai National get a B-2 tourist Visa to the USA and he got 10years... and here we are in Thailand fighting for 1 year at a time, with mandatory reports and hoops and BS...

• Like 2

Well, it seems that they don't hire the brightest cookies at Walen to do the extension paperwork. A classmate of mine at a different language school who is studying another language at Walen told me last week that another student in his class had his paperwork prepars ed wrong. Something was missing from the required paperwork when he went to immigration. (This classmate already was studied Thai 3yrs on an ED visa so needed to study a different language to get another ED visa.)

I'm glad I managed to skip this system...where theres a will theres a way and money helps too.

A few years ago, an agency I had done some visa runs with assisted me with the ED visa. We met, I handed my passport, 2 photos and a fee and within a weeks time my passport was hand delivered back to me with my first 15month ED visa. I did 2 more 1 year extensions on that ED visa the same way. Funny the last extension I did, I actually received a student ID card to a school I had never been too.

However, hearing all these stories of Immigration using their own judgement and enforcement tactics or giving you a Thai test in line has me quite concerned if I am ever hailed on re-entry as the extent of my Thai is nil.

So I'm gonna give up the ED thing for a while and get the Non-B visa/work permit with a company "hiring" me as a "consultant", though I'll never get a paycheck it will put all thaose spot-checks in the immigration line out of my thoughts.

It is what it is... a matter of survival... you gotta do what you gotta do...

I helped a Thai National get a B-2 tourist Visa to the USA and he got 10years... and here we are in Thailand fighting for 1 year at a time, with mandatory reports and hoops and BS...

1 year at a time? Lol

30-90 days at a time for those on ED visas. I can only imagine how the Thai government would respond if the UK and USA started to treat Thai students the way we are treated here......... I am sure they would have plenty of things to say and lots of complaints.

• Like 2

Well, it seems that they don't hire the brightest cookies at Walen to do the extension paperwork. A classmate of mine at a different language school who is studying another language at Walen told me last week that another student in his class had his paperwork prepars ed wrong. Something was missing from the required paperwork when he went to immigration. (This classmate already was studied Thai 3yrs on an ED visa so needed to study a different language to get another ED visa.)

Did he also tell you that immigration keeps changing requirements? So easy to bash, isn't it?

• Like 1

Did he also tell you that immigration keeps changing requirements? So easy to bash, isn't it?

No he didn't. So, how often has the paperwork required for the school to prepare changed? Let's say, in the past 2 months?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I don't think it has anything to do with the schools themselves. You seem to be implying that Walen should be treated differently.

Why?

In this real world (Thailand) the only way preference will be given is by 'favours done', and not by reputation. Given their reputation, i would find it difficult to believe they would be paying backhanders.

Perhaps not my place to comment on this topic as i am not in the ED system, but i am genuinely curious to your way of thinking.

Fewer tourists, slower business, so they have to make up for lost revenue somehow. Much like 5000 baht for 30 day extension in Jomtien.

ED visas used to issued with myltiple entries and validity of 1 year. But then immigration wanted piece of action, so started with 1900 baht every 90 days, now every 60 days. If they need even more money, it will be 1900 baht every 30 days...

I tried ED visa one year and didn't even get to the end of half year with it ( I actually was interested in learning the language and didn't miss even one lesson). The idea of some dumb, semi-literate, greedy prick testing my Thai language was too much for me.

That's always the real kicker for me too. Most of these officers can barely string together a coherent sentence in English..... Yet they want to judge how I should be progressing in Thai as if they are a professor of linguistics or something. Really bizarre that these people get to "test" us in the first place considering they are not educators, many never even attended University, and they can barely speak a second language themselves.

The kicker is,they don't need to speak English at all.On the other hand you as a Thai language student need to know some Thai,and a Thai speaker would know if you were competent or not.

LOL.... You completely miss the point. The point is that they are in no place to be judging the language progression of students. They are not educators. The fact they speak Thai is not enough......

Fewer tourists, slower business, so they have to make up for lost revenue somehow. Much like 5000 baht for 30 day extension in Jomtien.

ED visas used to issued with myltiple entries and validity of 1 year. But then immigration wanted piece of action, so started with 1900 baht every 90 days, now every 60 days. If they need even more money, it will be 1900 baht every 30 days...

I tried ED visa one year and didn't even get to the end of half year with it ( I actually was interested in learning the language and didn't miss even one lesson). The idea of some dumb, semi-literate, greedy prick testing my Thai language was too much for me.

That's always the real kicker for me too. Most of these officers can barely string together a coherent sentence in English..... Yet they want to judge how I should be progressing in Thai as if they are a professor of linguistics or something. Really bizarre that these people get to "test" us in the first place considering they are not educators, many never even attended University, and they can barely speak a second language themselves.

The kicker is,they don't need to speak English at all.On the other hand you as a Thai language student need to know some Thai,and a Thai speaker would know if you were competent or not.
LOL.... You completely miss the point. The point is that they are in no place to be judging the language progression of students. They are not educators. The fact they speak Thai is not enough......

The fact that they are Imigration officers is enough ... seemingly you are missing the point !

The fact that they are Imigration officers is enough ... seemingly you are missing the point !

Right, because an immigration officer who never attended university and does not speak a second language themselves (and has no experience in education) is the ideal individual to judge MY progress while studying a new language. Yeah....you are totally right!

American, first ED Visa with 2 Tourist before hand. I always have everything in order with a groomed apperiance.

"American, first ED Visa with 2 Tourist before hand."

Did you also study Thai while you were here as a "tourist" or did your interest in study arise when you thought it might be difficult to get a third tourist visa? It seems many people regard Ed visas & extensions to be pseudo-tourist visas, which probably explains immigration policy to make the Ed Visa less "convenient."

They were not back to back tourist visas.

Since when is it wrong to consider becoming a student after visting a country you grow fond of? All these other language students suddenly one day want to travel and commit to a student visa out of no where? I assume you would want to "test the waters" first before making such a commitment.

Edited by l3fty
  • Like 2

American, first ED Visa with 2 Tourist before hand. I always have everything in order with a groomed apperiance.

"American, first ED Visa with 2 Tourist before hand."

Did you also study Thai while you were here as a "tourist" or did your interest in study arise when you thought it might be difficult to get a third tourist visa? It seems many people regard Ed visas & extensions to be pseudo-tourist visas, which probably explains immigration policy to make the Ed Visa less "convenient."

They were not back to back tourist visas.

Since when is it wrong to consider becoming a student after visting a country you grow fond of? All these other language students suddenly one day want to travel and commit to a student visa out of no where? I assume you would want to "test the waters" first before making such a commitment.

Makes a valid and good point. I have been a student for 4 years now but I was here firstly on tourist visas doing the old visa run to Ranong and Myanmar. You would or shall I say should either have a couple long holidays here first or use up a couple of tourist visas before diving into something that is basically a contract for a year, it will cost your money, time, and effort all in a foreign country, so it is not something to be taken lightly.

I heard immigration are coming to the language schools to check up on this week. I advise every one to attend school this week.

Lol. Isn't everyone going every week already?

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

I am amazed that the Walen in Bkk says they are one of the most popular schools in Bkk and all the students attend most of the classes and accomplishes this with 3 small uncrowded classrooms.

• Like 1

I got the normal, but my Thai is above average for someone that has studied for 6 months. Also I'm at the big 'W' school.

How long had you been in Thailand and how well did you speak Thai before getting an educational visa to stay in Thailand?

I heard immigration are coming to the language schools to check up on this week. I advise every one to attend school this week.

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

I am amazed that the Walen in Bkk says they are one of the most popular schools in Bkk and all the students attend most of the classes and accomplishes this with 3 small uncrowded classrooms.

Some schools (like mine) have 6 weeks on and then a break, but the immigration officials should know about the schools time tables anyway. I am very glad that I chose a great school, it may have simply been good luck but it has worked out well in my favor, kind of helps that I don't live in Bangkok! I know everybody is different but I personally cannot fathom why someone would prefer to settle down there unless it is work orientated.

Shouldn't need a warning

lol

Wow only 3 small classrooms? Either they don't have many students signing up with them or their classes are packed to the ceiling each time!